Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
Christine ONeal

Dear Frankie sequel screenplay help wanted

Like so many of my fellow GALS, I was deeply moved by the movie Dear Frankie and would love to venture into the screenplay writing world to create a sequel to the movie. Anyone who is interested in a writing collaboration is welcome and would of course receive writing credit. What I've come up with the basic concept of the sequel is that both Liz and The Stranger(real name TBD) try to find love but never forget the bond they had formed and want to see if they were meant to be together. Any feedback, questions, interest in helping is more than welcome.

While it is an interesting concept; there have been many; many fanfics on just that subject. I wanted to see a sequel for POTO many years ago and even wrote to ALW about just that; but was scoffed and ridiculed by some of POTO fans at even suggesting such a thing...low and behold; the sequel was made by none other than ALW..

Gerry himself mentioned that he would never do a sequel to any of his movies...my only thought on that decision would be his not wanting to be "Type cast" in any one character ala Johnny Depp in Pirates...

I think that in some of his characters; Dracula was one in which his returning to the role would have been absolutely natural; and today; given the interest in Vampire movies perhaps a wise one?

Christine, I think you're a very good writer, but writing a script is difficult. I'm currently writing one and it's way harder than writing a novel. Lots of rules and formatting that Hollywood demands. Please know that I'm not trying to dash your hopes or tell you not to do it; I'm only trying to give you a look at the reality of script writing and selling. I've done a lot of research and talked to a lot of people when I decided to write my original story (and no, it's not Catch A Falling Star).

I know a lot of Gerry fans would love to see a DF sequel; however, I'm not sure anyone else would. Getting the sequel sold, then re-worked, produced, cast, etc. is a daunting task, and I would hate to get hopes up for anyone. I don't think Gerry portraying The Stranger again would typecast him; it's not the kind of character that happens to.

Personally, knowing what a good writer you are, I would rather see you come up with an original story INSPIRED BY Dear Frankie.

I hope you take the advice with the love that it's given. Feel free to tell me to shove it and do what you want. :lol:

Good luck, sweetie!!!

Lisa

That's not a bad idea at all....I didn't take it in a bad way, that's why I asked for feedback now instead of going through the effort to write it and then nothing happen. Thanks for the suggestion. :hug1:

I second what Lisa said (Lisa, what program do you use?)

I was part of a team developing a children's program for PBS. Among my duties was working with episode scripts and then the feature film script that would then launch the series. We had notes from directors, etc and the writing team had to purchase and learn a formatting tool to make it acceptable. Laborious but well worth it to be able to be seen as serious/polished/professional.

Editing the film script was an interesting experience. Everything from vocabulary, tone, continuity/details. I learned a lot. The project has been tabled for now since one of the writers/producers is battling cancer. She's the helmsman on this.

Good luck with your dream. :o)

Sharon

(beacon1)

I second what Lisa said (Lisa, what program do you use?)

Sharon

(beacon1)

The template on MS Word. I can't afford Final Draft. Luckily MS Word has the template and it works pretty good. I've also done a ton of research on formatting, etc.

Still a pain. :lol: Novel writing is soo much easier. But I'm not giving up. :)