Gerard Butler GALS
Paisleyscot

6/21 - LIONSGATE Hits Bullseye With Marc Forster's MGP

Source: Wallstreet Journal

The leading next generation studio, today announced that it has acquired North American distribution rights to the fact-based action drama MACHINE GUN PREACHER, directed by Marc Forster (QUANTUM OF SOLACE). The film is the studio's first collaboration with Forster since the OscarĀ®-winning MONSTER'S BALL. Gerard Butler (LAW ABIDING CITIZEN, 300) stars as Reverend Sam Childers, known as "the machine gun preacher."

Read article HERE

Lionsgate obviously sees the talent and charisma of Gerard Butler! Good on them for taking on MGP also!

Looks like gerry and Alan have producing credits as well!

Cheryl

Someone commented on another site that Lionsgate is the company that sent "Butterfly on a Wheel" AKA Shattered direct to TV... hope that doesn't happen with this film ... :unsure:

~Ashley

Edited by ash0522

Someone commented on another site that Lionsgate is the company that sent "Butterfly on a Wheel" AKA Shattered direct to TV... hope that doesn't happen with this film ... :unsure:

~Ashley

I'm just giving my own personal opinion here ... Gerry is way more well-known and respected now. I don't see them putting this straight to DVD at all. Also, with Evil Twins as Exec. Producers I would think they would try to make sure that doesn't happen.

Even though Gamer didn't do very well, Lionsgate obviously sees something in Gerry worthy of backing. I have a feeling (personal feeling) that this could very well be a very good thing. I don't think there's anything to worry about at this point. I think he holds more cards now. ;)

All that being said ... I defer to Rubee's post. LOL

Edited by phoenixgirl

Lionsgate is in a fluid situation right now. It's in the midst of a hostile takeover by Carl Icahn. See details here:

http://www.deadline.com/2010/06/icahn-says-hell-own-31-of-lionsgate/

If he gets control current management could be fired and these sorts of uncertainties can affect their film slate. They need some successes other then Tyler Perry. And they have a lousy track record in promoting their films. That being said this movie has more upside then some of their past releases. With Gerry and a proven director, and a solid cast I'm hopeful this movie will be properly show cased when it is released and not treated like a B movie with little to no promotion.

Edited by Rubee815

Marc's a fabuluous director, so as long as they have a good script I see this as doing really really well!

As for Lionsgate...They better do a heck of a lot better job than they've done in the past. JMO as well.

Cheryl

I trust Gerry's judgement as he has alot to lose if it flops. Marketing plays such a big part in movies these days and considering the subject matter it will not appeal to everyone so the right marketing will be needed - Twitter seems to play a big part in marketing these days. Like Lisa said Gerry is probably more respected within the industry now after producing LAC so unless it turns out to be mediocre I do think it will get a decent release. Word of mouth on performances go along way and this is the kind of film that would go down a storm at festivals like TIFF - when the TIFF community get behind a movie it can do wonders - it certainly helped Slumdog Millionaire and Last King of Scotland - that festival gave those tiny films a platform and it snowballed from there.

Moira

that is such great news!!! Lionsgate is a Really Big company to be associated with. :detect:

way to go Gerry!!! :kiss:

Can't wait to see this pix :tantrum:

So glad....can't wait for movie to come out!

This is awesome news!

Gerry has an excellent director for this film...

He directed Halle Berry in MONSTER'S BALL and she won an Academy Award for her role!!! :)

:erik: Erik's Ebony Eyes :phantom:

Edited by Erik's Ebony Eyes