Gerard Butler GALS

Shooting in South Africa

Mary_SA

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No news. But here's something nice to listen too while we wait for our boy to come riding out of the jungle on a big elephant with a pride of lions at his feet! Hey, I just got a vision of Gerry becoming the new Tarzan, like the old Johnny W. movies complete with Jane, Cheetah and loin cloth!

I just love this song!

Delene

Considering where he is, I suppose it's likely to be difficult to get any pictures of him during the filming. I've heard some rumors that he's been seen in a couple of clubs but you can't always rely on those. I'm just surprised no one has taken a cell phone image of him out and about "recreating". We all get spoiled with the images we get so sometimes we just have to buck up and bite the bullet, eh? He'll emerge soon, hopefully, and he'll have stories to tell on Leno.

Delene

I got a lead now from patsyb (I love you :)) of where he was reported to be - from Twitter - which is approximately 30km's from Pretoria (where I stay). Quite rural.

I am now contemplating if it would appear I've lost my mind if I take a drive out there after work *blush*

Might be a wild-goose chase, but then again it might now!! What to do ....

Edited by Mary_SA

I got a lead now from patsyb (I love you :)) of where he was reported to be - from Twitter - which is approximately 30km's from Pretoria (where I stay). Quite rural.

I am now contemplating if it would appear I've lost my mind if I take a drive out there after work *blush*

GO...JUST GO!!! You may never have a another chance to see him! Don't give a thought to what people think....do this for YOU!! A lot of us have done crazier things just for a glimpse of him. In fact everybody thinks I'm crazy for going to Comic-Con every time he's there. Standing in line for hours then sitting in an auditorium for hours just to watch him for 45 minutes. IT'S ALWAYS WORTH IT! He's great...now get yourself a bottle of water and hit the road....and PLEASE take some pictures!!! If you miss him at least you tried.....!! Have fun Mary!

I got a lead now from patsyb (I love you Posted Image) of where he was reported to be - from Twitter - which is approximately 30km's from Pretoria (where I stay). Quite rural.

GO...JUST GO!!! You may never have a another chance to see him! Don't give a thought to what people think....do this for YOU!! A lot of us have done crazier things just for a glimpse of him. In fact everybody thinks I'm crazy for going to Comic-Con every time he's there. Standing in line for hours then sitting in an auditorium for hours just to watch him for 45 minutes. IT'S ALWAYS WORTH IT! He's great...now get yourself a bottle of water and hit the road....and PLEASE take some pictures!!! If you miss him at least you tried.....!! Have fun Mary!

Yes I agree with Complicated! If Gerry were in the UK I'd be in the car right now winging my way towards him!!! You may not get another chance like this! Let us know xxxxx

Mary ... in your situation, where this may be your only opportunity, I would go for it. Just be aware that there are never any guarantees.

Be safe and see if a friend can go with you for that added security. Good luck. I hope it works out for you.

Edited by patsyb

Mary, I envy you being so close to where Gerry might be and if you know it's a safe, accessible place, then by all means. But I'm going to play devil's advocate here for a moment. Perhaps one the reasons that we are not getting any photos of him or any kind of word on his wearabouts is because he may be filming in an area that could be bordering dangerous and he and his crew do not want us going there, for a variety of reasons, or want anyone that might not be friendly to know either.

I know you know your country better then I but I know that hostile people exist in a lot of places there and it can be quite dangerous even though I'm sure they've selected areas that are safe to film. If they go somewhere like Sam's orphanage, that might not be the safest place. Why do you think Sam carries a machine gun around when he's there?

Whatever you do, make sure it's safe and please be careful.

Delene

Just go and have fun, even if you are not successful. Speaking from personal experience, you will bitterly regret not trying.

Be safe and I hope you the best Gerry moment ever!

Theresa

Go for it, Mary! What's 30 km when it comes to living a dream? Take a friend with you, like patsyb suggested and just give it a try. What do you have to lose? Are you prepared to feel sorry for the rest of your life? You may never have such an opportunity. I regret having had Gerry within say 700 km from where I live and not taking the chance, but my excuse is that I was then in the early days of my addiction and it didn't feel so imperative. Well, had I known then what I know now! *sigh*

Best of luck! Posted Image

Chris

Hi all for your input .... well unfortunately I did not go last night, don't have my map book - it's in my car that is being repaired ... am going to follow that twitter page today and see if there is anything new!

WOW a Khulula flight hey ... that's quite interesting .... yes I heard he was in Cape Town, dam I'm jealous - not even I have been in Cape Town.

So my plan is that I have to try and get out there .....

There should be no danger really, I've checked it out on a map and there are some lovely nature reserves out there as well. Although Sandton in Johannesburg has been named the most dangerous place in South Africa according to the statistics that have just been released :)

I love being part of this forum. No one understands my obsession .... would go with my daughter - she recognises Gerry now ... when she saw my Men's Health magazine she recognised Gerry from LAC and PS I Love You and then proceeded to watch PSILY much to my joy *blush*

Just a tiny clarification . . . Sam Childers' Orphanage is located in Southern Sudan. The violence of the LRA is taking place in both Southern Sudan and Northern Uganda. These two countries are located in central Africa, not anywhere near South Africa.

I'm sure South Africa was chosen not only because it is a safe location, but because of South Africa's rising film industry and all that offers to any production company, including MGP, seeking to filming in South Africa.

I love being part of this forum. No one understands my obsession .... would go with my daughter - she recognises Gerry now ... when she saw my Men's Health magazine she recognised Gerry from LAC and PS I Love You and then proceeded to watch PSILY much to my joy *blush*

Woohoo, Mary! That's fantastic news. It's so great to share with family and friends who understand. :)

Go Mary.

I hope you get your Gerry moment. He is always

great with his fans and I know it would be a forever

memory if you get to meet him.

Be safe and have fun. We are all behind you, and

wishing we actually were, if you get to meet him.

If you do get to meet him tell him we all love him

and wish him the best.

Love him absolutely,

Sandy

• 2 weeks later...

Finally some news ....

http://www.timeslive.co.za/entertainment/article678732.ece/Gerard-Butler-wows-clubbers

This article appears in Times Live which is the online version of The Times newspaper available all over South Africa.

Gerard Butler wows clubbers

Sep 27, 2010 10:34 PM | By Gabisile Ndebele

Hollywood actor Gerard Butler was spotted clubbing on Saturday night at upmarket nightclub Latinova, in Rosebank, Johannesburg.

Butler, famous for his roles in The Bounty Hunter and Law Abiding Citizen, is reportedly working in this country on his latest film, Machine Gun Preacher, based on the life of Sam Childers. Butler plays Childers, a preacher who dedicated his life to rescuing children from war zones in Sudan. Rosebank clubbers were impressed. Wearing blue jeans and a light blue top, Butler "smiled and chatted to everyone".

Tanya Bosch said: " When we asked for pictures he said he didn't want to do that because he would have to say 'yes' to everyone . He said he wanted to have fun."

Finally some news ....

http://www.timeslive...r-wows-clubbers

This article appears in Times Live which is the online version of The Times newspaper available all over South Africa.

Gerard Butler wows clubbers

Sep 27, 2010 10:34 PM | By Gabisile Ndebele

Hollywood actor Gerard Butler was spotted clubbing on Saturday night at upmarket nightclub Latinova, in Rosebank, Johannesburg.

Butler, famous for his roles in The Bounty Hunter and Law Abiding Citizen, is reportedly working in this country on his latest film, Machine Gun Preacher, based on the life of Sam Childers. Butler plays Childers, a preacher who dedicated his life to rescuing children from war zones in Sudan. Rosebank clubbers were impressed. Wearing blue jeans and a light blue top, Butler "smiled and chatted to everyone".

Tanya Bosch said: " When we asked for pictures he said he didn't want to do that because he would have to say 'yes' to everyone . He said he wanted to have fun."

That's the article I referred to in the SA 15 mins of Fame Thread. Thanks for posting it, Mary! :)

Lisa

Hey Lisa ... no, it isn't the the same article .... they were written almost a month apart and are different articles and sources :)

It's really awesome to get something .... wish there was more! I'm very disappointed with the entertainment journalists in this country. Perhaps that is why there is an increase in the number of films being filmed here as the celebs are not hounded by the press and they can do their 'job' in peace :)

Hey Lisa ... no, it isn't the the same article .... they were written almost a month apart and are different articles and sources :)

It's really awesome to get something .... wish there was more! I'm very disappointed with the entertainment journalists in this country. Perhaps that is why there is an increase in the number of films being filmed here as the celebs are not hounded by the press and they can do their 'job' in peace :)

There's probably a lot of truth to that statement (along with the financial incentives I imagine are given as well.) JMHO

wish there was more! I'm very disappointed with the entertainment journalists in this country

There's two sides to that coin! Not enough coverage or too much, right? That could all change the more films are made over there, just like everything else. Nothing ever stays the same.

Delene

Gerry do like his "clubbing". Good to see he's impressing others around the world with his casual friendliness and his approachability and that the c*ck cap and Colorado Buffs t shirt were not mentioned for a change! :spit:

Delene

. Perhaps that is why there is an increase in the number of films being filmed here as the celebs are not hounded by the press and they can do their 'job' in peace :)

There's probably a lot of truth to that statement (along with the financial incentives I imagine are given as well.) JMHO

Proof, also, that when he wants to submerge, he can. This current drought is VERRA similar to the Great Drought of 06. LOL

i think its great that gerry hasnt had to contend with paparazzi in south africa. it makes a great change for him because i know he and jen had so much trouble with them when they were filming the bounty hunter. its nice to know what gerry is up to but we dont have to have photos all the time.

about what some of the fans have said previously about meeting gerry and going to visit him on set, and hanging around for ages to see him. i have been to four premieres in london now of gerrys and have been waiting in the front of the barriers for hours on end, twice in the winter which was freezing but hes worth the wait for the hour or two he takes to meet and greet his fans, and twice in the summer, which is much better as he spends a little more time going around the hundreds of people that have come out to see him. if you get to the front of the barriers its the best. i have met and spoken, if you call it speaking, to gerry four times, but i am fine and hold it together as hes coming towards me but when he gets to me i just lose it and turn into this other being and come out with nonsence. thats what he does to me. i first met him at the 300 premiere and it was on my birthday. i had taken with me a blank birthday card and asked him if he would write something in it, he was so nice and wrote sue, happy birthday, gerry b. i then and i dont know what came over me asked for a birthday kiss, and got one. i had stubble rash on my cheek for days. i met him next time at the rocknrolla premiere and got a hug and i kissed him this time. the ugly truth premiere was next but i only managed to say something but not touch. lastly this year was the bounty hunter premiere and i was determined to get a photo with him, so i plucked up the courage to ask him to take the photo as my hands were freezing as i had been standing there for 8 hours in march. he took the camera, we were cheek to cheek, and i was in my element. i was so excited and had come over like a blob of jelly shaking and presumed the photo took. i got home and attached it to my website only to find out that he hadnt taken it properly. i was gutted and now have to wait until next time. the thing is at a gerry premiere you cant get everything on the first meeting, its either autograph, hug or kiss, or photo together, but he is so obliging and wants to please all his fans and cant do enough for you. they are always so much fun and a great atmosphere and i now meet up with two friends i have met at the premieres everytime he comes to london. sue -greatest london fan