Gerard Butler GALS

Being the die hard Gerry fan that I am, I've never taken the easy way with any of his films. I bought some of them (the ones that were available) from local stores but for the rest (mostly Gerry's early films) I had to go elsewhere. I could have probably resorted to all sorts of manoeuvres to get in possession of most of them, but I preferred to buy the dvds from a well-established seller, like the amazon because I wanted to make sure they were good quality and with bonuses, if possible. Well, that cost me a lot, because I had to cover the shipping expenses as well, but you know what they say: "no pain, no gain". So, I paid in spite of my husband's mumbled (and shortly afterwards stifled) protest.

Now, I haven't bought the "The Jury" dvd yet and for a reason. I've been trawling through the various sites in order to find the best offer and I've learned that amazon.co.uk sells the Region 2 Jury dvd (viewable in Europe) for 79.90 pounds while the Region 1 dvd (viewable in the USA) costs only 16 pounds!!! Well, I thought this would be because not many Americans buy dvds from co.uk or such, but then I checked amazon.com and I discovered that you can also buy it for 32 dollars (which amounts to approx 16 pounds)!!! And, of course, it's Region 1, not good for European players!!!Posted Image

I wonder why this huge difference in price - the European one is five times more expensive! It's not fair! Posted Image 79.90 pounds may not seem much to some people but it's the difference in price that bothers me. I don't know where to turn to. I will probably end up buying it anyway as a present for Christmas or my birthday and ask my family members to make a contribution! Posted Image Still, I cannot account for the difference, so someone might wanna explain or some European gal might give me a tip where I can get it from for a lower price.

Hugs,

Chris

Chris, Posted Image I know how frustrating this must be.

I think it has to do with the fact that it was re-released a few years ago over here because of supply and demand. The original version at that time was almost impossible to get except through individuals selling it to make a profit and profit they did make. I know quite a few of my friends that paid close to $100.00 for it over here as well. ;)

hugs,

Sue

I think you're right Sue. I think they re-released it right after I bought the other version. It seems like it cost me around $70. The re-release, which was on 2 CDs, instead of 3 was much less expensive.....maybe half. In fact, I do sometimes see the more expensive version still listed as an option on Amazon.

midnightchris, have you thought about ebay as an option? You might be able to find one for a lot less there, new or used.

But, on the other hand, you can get Lucy Sullivan Gets Married fairly cheaply and it's ONLY available in Region 2. I have it but I have to watch on my computer, not the optimal viewing experience, until I get a region free dvd player.

Everything's a trade-off! :D

Posted Image all for taking the time to answer and explain! I started the topic in a moment of frustration, as you might have noticed.

Hobbes, I checked on ebay some time ago and it was indeed cheaper there, but I assumed it was Region 1, too. And now allow me another question, as your answer has prompted it: did I understand it correctly, you live in the USA, you've got Lucy Sullivan Region 2 and you can watch it on your computer? Is it possible? I thought Region compatibility includes computers, too, not only dvd players. Sorry, I may sound dumb, but I'm not exactly techno savvy. Posted Image

Posted Image all and a special one for my dear Sue!

Chris

Being the die hard Gerry fan that I am, I've never taken the easy way with any of his films. I bought some of them (the ones that were available) from local stores but for the rest (mostly Gerry's early films) I had to go elsewhere. I could have probably resorted to all sorts of manoeuvres to get in possession of most of them, but I preferred to buy the dvds from a well-established seller, like the amazon because I wanted to make sure they were good quality and with bonuses, if possible. Well, that cost me a lot, because I had to cover the shipping expenses as well, but you know what they say: "no pain, no gain". So, I paid in spite of my husband's mumbled (and shortly afterwards stifled) protest.

Now, I haven't bought the "The Jury" dvd yet and for a reason. I've been trawling through the various sites in order to find the best offer and I've learned that amazon.co.uk sells the Region 2 Jury dvd (viewable in Europe) for 79.90 pounds while the Region 1 dvd (viewable in the USA) costs only 16 pounds!!! Well, I thought this would be because not many Americans buy dvds from co.uk or such, but then I checked amazon.com and I discovered that you can also buy it for 32 dollars (which amounts to approx 16 pounds)!!! And, of course, it's Region 1, not good for European players!!!Posted Image

I paid 100.00 for my first copy, 79.95 for my second and 50.00 for my third. I searched for months

before I found the first copy, but it was worth every penny. This is one of Gerry's finest performances

ever. I have one I haven't even opened.

Now, I could get it for about 30.00, but I'm not sorry I didn't wait. I have enjoyed it many, many

times. It is one of my all time favs that I watch regularly. I just wish Gerry got some kind of

commission off of my purchases, and of course, he doesn't unless maybe for LAC which he produced,

not sure about that one.

Thanks to Scotsman Stuart I now have all of Gerry's recorded work. I could never find LWL until

Stuart sent it to me. Thanks Stuart.

If you could find a universal DVD player you can play any region.

By the way, I can only watch LSIGM on my computer. If you have a DVD player in your computer

you may be able to watch European DVDs there. Ask someone who knows for sure before

investing. I'm really not that computer savvy.

Sandy

I wonder why this huge difference in price - the European one is five times more expensive! It's not fair! Posted Image 79.90 pounds may not seem much to some people but it's the difference in price that bothers me. I don't know where to turn to. I will probably end up buying it anyway as a present for Christmas or my birthday and ask my family members to make a contribution! Posted Image Still, I cannot account for the difference, so someone might wanna explain or some European gal might give me a tip where I can get it from for a lower price.

Hugs,

Chris

First of all, Chris, you do NOT sound stupid. I didn't know anything about the whole region thing until I discovered Gerry, and I'm still learning.

Hobbes is correct about Lucy Sullivan. I can watch my copy only on my computer AND my portable DVD player. Somehow that seems to be region free (didn't buy it knowing that). Computers apparently are region free as well.

Now here's what frustrates me as an American Gerry fan: We always get the crappiest posters, DVD covers and extras (except Gamer). I know that there is a UK release of TR2 that actually shows Angelina Jolie biting G's nipple, and the US version has that cut out. Further, I have both the UK version of Game of Their Lives and it's called Miracle Match in the US. The UK version has interviews, etc. and the US MM DVD does not. Go figure.

So, like Hobbes said, there's always a trade-off. I hate paying for shipping so I have to REALLY want the DVD to get it (like Lucy Sullivan).

We feel your pain. LOL

Lisa

First of all, Chris, you do NOT sound stupid. I didn't know anything about the whole region thing until I discovered Gerry, and I'm still learning.

Hobbes is correct about Lucy Sullivan. I can watch my copy only on my computer AND my portable DVD player. Somehow that seems to be region free (didn't buy it knowing that). Computers apparently are region free as well.

Now here's what frustrates me as an American Gerry fan: We always get the crappiest posters, DVD covers and extras (except Gamer). I know that there is a UK release of TR2 that actually shows Angelina Jolie biting G's nipple, and the US version has that cut out. Further, I have both the UK version of Game of Their Lives and it's called Miracle Match in the US. The UK version has interviews, etc. and the US MM DVD does not. Go figure.

So, like Hobbes said, there's always a trade-off. I hate paying for shipping so I have to REALLY want the DVD to get it (like Lucy Sullivan).

We feel your pain. LOL

Lisa

Thanks for answering, Sandy! I somehow suspected your commitment to the Gerrydom reading your posts but you've really put me to shame! Wow, you've actually got several copies of The Jury! And all of the other films! I obviously haven't got that far but I'm definitely trying!

Thank you, Lisa! Your frustration comes as a surprise to me because I've always thought you American gals are the privileged ones in every way! I would never have guessed that! So you're saying computers are region free - well, that changes things for me! I don't mind watching films on the computer - actually I usually do so! So, basically, I can buy the much cheaper Region 1 version and watch it on the computer! Wow! Thanks!

Chris

Funny how we all think the grass is greaner somewhere else, huh? LOL

The Jury is worth the money so I say get it. One of Gerry's finest performances to date. I wish he could get another awesome character role like that again.

Let us know how it works out for you!!

Lisa

Hobbes, I checked on ebay some time ago and it was indeed cheaper there, but I assumed it was Region 1, too. And now allow me another question, as your answer has prompted it: did I understand it correctly, you live in the USA, you've got Lucy Sullivan Region 2 and you can watch it on your computer? Is it possible? I thought Region compatibility includes computers, too, not only dvd players. Sorry, I may sound dumb, but I'm not exactly techno savvy. Posted Image

Yes, I ordered my LSIGM from Australia as well and it is Region 2. I had to choose the region (or to make it universal, rather) the first time I played it, but haven't had to do anything to it since then.

There are quite a few things I'd like to get my hands on, for instance a decent copy of White Lies. I have it but it's not very good. Someone recorded it on television and burned a disc. Same with his episode of An Unsuitable Job for a Woman. Someday I'll get the actual dvd (I'm a completist LOL, some would say obsessive, so I have just about everything.) And as Lisa said, The Jury is well worth buying. You shouldn't have to pay through the nose for it but I think I paid approx. $40 from Amazon back in 06. I still watch it probably twice a year. Unlike some of his earlier stuff, the whole thing is good (not just G) with a really fine cast of British actors. It's also well written (Peter Morgan) and well directed (Pete Travis). You should look them up to see what they've done since. Very talented and very impressive.

Good luck.

Yes, I ordered my LSIGM from Australia as well and it is Region 2. I had to choose the region (or to make it universal, rather) the first time I played it, but haven't had to do anything to it since then.

There are quite a few things I'd like to get my hands on, for instance a decent copy of White Lies. I have it but it's not very good. Someone recorded it on television and burned a disc. Same with his episode of An Unsuitable Job for a Woman. Someday I'll get the actual dvd (I'm a completist LOL, some would say obsessive, so I have just about everything.) And as Lisa said, The Jury is well worth buying. You shouldn't have to pay through the nose for it but I think I paid approx. $40 from Amazon back in 06. I still watch it probably twice a year. Unlike some of his earlier stuff, the whole thing is good (not just G) with a really fine cast of British actors. It's also well written (Peter Morgan) and well directed (Pete Travis). You should look them up to see what they've done since. Very talented and very impressive.

Good luck.

You can rent An Unsuitable Job for a Woman through Netflix. Gerry's not in it much so there's no need to buy it. He does look extremely gorgeous. He could be my doctor any day. :cunning:

Wow, Hobbes, thanks a lot! Now everything is clear! I also did some research of my own and I've learned that the compatibility thing applies only to dvd players, computers are region free. Probably I wouldn't have discovered that if you hadn't told me about LSIGM or maybe I would have, eventually, after having paid a small fortune for the remaining films. Thanks a lot for the good advice! Posted Image Now I can make wiser choices when I go searching for the rest of the films. Posted Image

Chris

Dear Chris (and everyone else with similar questions),

I can understand your frustration because I went throught the same thing as a newbie a year ago. Here's how I dealt with the problem (I am in Europe too, region 2): I bought a really really cheap DVD player (Philips DVP 3350 if I am not mistaken) and then found a hack code on this site and very, very easily hacked it so that it is now region free.

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks

That way I can watch everything on a big screen, in the comfort of my bedroom.

In my experience, Philips DVD players are the easier to hack, but check for a code for the model of your choice before you actually buy it (or maybe you can hack the one you already have).

Once you have turned your player region free, you can buy the cheapest version regardless of region, no need to pay an arm and a leg for The Jury.

Lucy Sullivan is Region 4 (for Australia) and it won't play on all PCs or laptops because not all of them are region free either. But it plays great on a hacked DVD player as explained before.

I hope this helps. Also here's a link to the short film Jewel of the Sahara, in case you don't have it already (not available on DVD, you can download it using Realplayer which is available to install for free):

http://video.aol.co.uk/video-detail/jewel-of-the-sahara/1519206407

Finally if you want to make your PC and/or laptop region free, you can get a program called AnyDVD. With this you can also make region free copies of your DVDs (don't have it but I have been told that it works).

Hope this helps.

Theresa

P.S. Thanks to Barb (Becozy) for the hack link.

Lol! DOn't feel bad I ended up paying like $70 for the Jury Set then saw it for less a few weeks later :bonk::lalala:

but it was worth it!

Wow, Theresa, thanks for the detailed reply! This thread has been so enlightening for me! And thank you for the links! I saw Jewel of the Sahara on Stuart's channel, but I don't have it, so the link is very useful - my one chance with silly, horny, ubersexy Captain Charles Belamy!Posted Image

And *guest*, I'm sure it was worth it, thanks!

Hugs,

Chris

:funnyup: You GALS are so full of . . . 'useful and helpful' . . . information for the truly Gerry obsessed. :bow: Thank you, one and all!!! *Wow, the things, I didn't know; I learn something new everyday* Great Question, Chris! :lol:

Thanks, Beachie! This thread has proven quite informative indeed! I'm glad you think so, too! Posted Image

Chris