Gerard Butler GALS
becozy

10/18 - Gerard Butler Surprises E.L. Residents

King Leonidas of Sparta visited the land of the Spartans this weekend — in the form of Scottish actor Gerard Butler.

From pumping up students for Midnight Madness at Breslin Center to strolling East Lansing streets, visiting local restaurants and businesses, Butler popped up all across the area throughout the past few days, exciting students and sports fans alike pre- and post-Homecoming game against the University of Illinois.

Perhaps best known to Spartan fans for his role as King Leonidas in the movie "300," Butler riled Midnight Madness fans repeating his famous line "Spartans, what is your profession?" on Friday alongside men's basketball head coach Tom Izzo.

It wasn't his only appearance, however, as students reported seeing Butler throughout the next few days. University officials were unavailable for comment Sunday as to why Butler was at MSU. Butler reportedly has been invited to visit the university since "300" was released in 2007. Butler told Spartan fans at Midnight Madness he flew in from New York for Homecoming weekend.

Butler attended the football game Saturday to watch the Spartans take on the Fighting Illini, and helped conduct the Spartan Marching Band.

Shaking Butler's hand in the tunnel during the pregame ceremonies will be a highlight of international relations senior and Spartan Marching Band member Devin Bone's life, he said.

"His conducting was sloppy at best, but it was a thrill to have him up there," Bone said, laughing. "We definitely appreciated it."

Waiting outside of Dublin Square Irish Pub, 327 Abbot Road, on Saturday evening, studio art freshman Taylor Wardowski said she was excited to have her picture taken with Butler, even as he was trying to move away from fans outside the pub.

"He was really friendly," she said.

"My friend and I told him we loved him in the Phantom (of the Opera) and I don't think he gets that a lot, so he smiled and agreed to take one more picture."

His visit was a surprise even for the football team, which received a pep talk from Butler before the game, senior wide receiver Mark Dell said.

"(Butler) just said he was meaning to come back and talk to us since he did (300), but gave us a little motivational speech to go out there and get the win against a good team," Dell said.

source

Well, I guess better late then never!

I believe Gerry likes to get the rare comment on "Phantom" when someone remembers him in that. He worked hard in that part and I think has always been way underrated for his performance. I do believe it will always hold a special place in his heart, no matter what else he ever achieves in his career.

Thanks, Barb.

Delene

Edited by GBPhanatic

I so agree with you Dee!!!:kisswink:

Thanks for the article Barb! :kiss:

:wave: Frannie

From pumping up students for Midnight Madness at Breslin Center to strolling East Lansing streets, visiting local restaurants and businesses, Butler popped up all across the area throughout the past few days, exciting students and sports fans alike pre- and post-Homecoming game against the University of Illinois.

Posted Image Way to go, Gerry!

University officials were unavailable for comment Sunday as to why Butler was at MSU.

Is it me or does this sound a little awkward? Should University officials have commented on Gerry's presence at MSU? Why?

Chris

University officials were unavailable for comment Sunday as to why Butler was at MSU.

Is it me or does this sound a little awkward? Should University officials have commented on Gerry's presence at MSU? Why?

Chris

I don't understand that either. I thought it was obvious.

Chris

Chris

I don't care why what MSU University Officials say or don't say. I was there and was never so excited! I have been waiting years to have Gerry know about how we use the 300 in all our athletic events!!! We use his voice, use clips from the movie during games...football, hockey, and basketball. We call our Spartan Marching Band the 300 because it always maintains a 300 student membership. WE use quotes on T-shirts sold on campus.. I was so excited to see him there and he was so excited and in awe as to the extent we use 300. We have a replica Spartan helmet in our throphy case with our Final Four/Championship items. He had the students rocking and on fire the whole weekend and it was so nice watching everyone enjoy him and see the side of him we know about!!!!

I am a season ticket holder for MSU football and an Alumni...was never so happy to be there in a long time....I must say...I may have been a wee bit distracted watching the sidelines ...shame on me...LOL

I think Gerry just made about 50.000 new fans! MSU loves HIM!

I was lucky enough to see him at the end of the game for a hot second...He was in such a good mood and all smiles! His first US College football game and he got the royal treatment and had a blast! MSU knows how to treat Sparta's King.....LOL

Cheers!

Sparty

I'm so glad you got to be there Sparty. I think it's obvious from what I've seen of the events this weekend that it was an amazing experience. Gerry seems to have throroughly enjoyed himself.

Ren

Thanks, Sparty, for your insightful answer which surely helps put things into perspective. Perhaps the authors of the article should have put more emphasis on the impact that 300 and especially King Leonidas have had on the sportive life of MSU. Seen from this perspective it's no wonder that Gerry's presence there had been long awaited for and affected everybody the way it did. Nor should there have been any need for official comments IMO, assuming that everything complied with the MSU regulations, except maybe some words of praise for Gerry taking the time to come to this event and pump up the fans in the stands. Posted Image

Chris

I think that's so cool that MSU has all the 300 references. I bet it made Gerry feel really like a King!

I find it hard to believe that was his first live college football game. He loves his Colordao Buffs "Ralphie" t shirt. So maybe a fan gave him the shirt but that's funny that after all the years he's been in the US, that's his first one. Gerry was a college football spectator virgin!

Delene

I wish Gerry would come to my school Reinhardt.

A. So that I could see Gerry in person Posted Image

B. So that I can show my drama teacher what acting really is (I'm actually doing an excerpt from "The Ugly Truth" for my final in Intro to Acting in college)

C. Even though we're the eagle I wish Gerry could soar up here

Sparty...I'm so happy for you that you got your moment with Gerry. I had no idea MSU had so much related to the movie "300". Gerry must have been overwhelmed when he say all of the references. Thanks MSU for giving Gerry a grand time.

~HUGS~ Kathy

I just thought of something! We're the CMU Mules! Think we could get these guys to show up to one of our games?

Posted Image

:rotflmao:

Delene

It would have been so amazing to be there witnessing all that as a fan. So glad you got to do this Kris.

Moira

So great that you were there, Kris!! I do believe he was inspirational to the Michigan team! (They did win, didn't they!!!)

The whole weekend/experience must have been very satisfying to Gerry, as well.......seeing how much 300 means to MSU athletics.

:wave:

:leo2:

:whoa:

Thanks for all the grand comments ladies!

Being a die-hard Spartan my whole life and an alum words can't describe the feelings of having him see all that MSU as and our great love for him and the movie.

It was incredible when 300 came out how MSU just latched on took it to a new level.

I truely think Gerry had a wonderful and I know MSU treated him like The King!!!!!!

Thanks!

Sparty...know you know the reason behind my name..LOL!

Forbesgirl...Nice siggy...!

Cheers

:music:

Hello!

I really like hearing any stories about sports!!!!! He looks great!!!! Thanks for sharing it!!!!

Josée

Chris

Maybe he is looking for a place to film Slide. He needs a soccer field and he is familiar

with the area.

Just saying.

Sandy

Thanks for all the grand comments ladies!

Being a die-hard Spartan my whole life and an alum words can't describe the feelings of having him see all that MSU as and our great love for him and the movie.

It was incredible when 300 came out how MSU just latched on took it to a new level.

I truely think Gerry had a wonderful and I know MSU treated him like The King!!!!!!

Thanks!

Sparty...know you know the reason behind my name..LOL!

Forbesgirl...Nice siggy...!

Cheers

Sparty, I always wondered about the name, but since so many chose names relating

to one of Gerry's movies I just assumed you were a 300 fan. Now I see how

they both tie in.

I'm so glad you got to be there. What a wonderful experience, being a MSU alum

and a Gerry fan, that must have been a little slice of Heaven.

I'm so glad you got to see him for a second. Did you shout that you were a GAL.

He would probably have stopped if he had know you were an Alum and a GAL.

Love him absolutely,

Sandy

There's an interview at the MM show with Gerry.

He said he has lost his voice, and they ask him

how he like being a CULT HERO in Michigan.

It is really cute. Hope you all enjoy.

Love him absolutely,

Sandy

Great find, Sandy! He's like a little kid! Some of what was said, I couldn't make it out but he seemed so elated to get all of the attention. I hate to sound gushy but he was adorable in that! Makes you just want to eat him up!

I always thought that Gerry would really eat up being on the stage and getting that instant reward of applause. Maybe he'll do a little Broadway someday, like so many other actors do, like Hugh Jackman.

Also, I don't think he knew to the extent that his movie 300 was represented there and was amazed by it. Celebrities sometimes don't see that result of their efforts. If they make the money, that's one thing but getting that kind of adoration is the icing on the cake and it lovely that he could see it and experience it first hand.

Thanks, Sandy.

Delene

Edited by GBPhanatic

Thanks Sandy for that video. It was adorable even though our guy was losing his voice. I'm so happy for him that he got the recognition that he deserves. It is true that actors only get to hear the negative from critics and Internet know-it-alls and they rarely get this kind of a positive experience. He has been through a lot and it is about time he found out how much he is loved by people and not just because of "300".

~HUGS~ Kathy

Gerry is a wonderful person whether he is doing something fun like going to the Michigan Spartans basketball game, or just taking pictures with people on the street.

I have know Gerry for almost 6 years and he has shown so many different sides in front of me. The most important is his love for his fans and the commitment of the people who support him. I personally, have had some very personal memories of him. He is not just an actor, he is a human being, who loves what he does, and does it for the fans that love him back.

Edited by bermos