Gerard Butler GALS

I got in to the U. of Glasgow creative writing program!

AbandonThought

So, I woke up this morning to an e-mail in my inbox informing me of my UNCONDITIONAL OFFER to the University of Glasgow Masters in Creative Writing program!!!

You all know how hard I've worked over the past year+ trying to move my writing forward. I'm so ecstatic about this. I think that this program will help me to learn a lot, and probably help me to make my writing more marketable. And beyond that, I'll get to spend a year in Scotland!!! The best thing about this is that the tuition and living expenses in Glasgow are LESS than JUST TUITION is here at Tulane!

I'd been getting so anxious with my future being up in the air... not knowing at this point where I would be in a year's time. Now, I know. I have my offer, and all I have to do between now and September when the program begins is hammer out the details! There's still a lot of work to be done, but this is the fun part!

As a closing, I want to extend a warm and heartfelt thanks to Gerry, to GALS, and to all the wonderful women that I've met through this site. If it weren't for all of you, I don't think I would have made it this far. :)

Oh, and you gals over in Scotland, I'm sure I'll be calling on you with questions about places to live in the near future!!! :D

:hugs:

Steph

Posted Image Steph!!! I just knew that you would and when you mentioned in the siggy piggy thread that you had some news you would be posting I just knew this had to be it!!!!

You are a wonderful writer and I'm sure this is going to help you become even a better writer (and will look great on the back cover bio of your first novel) I for one will be waiting in line for your first book!

hugs,

Sue

Thanks everyone! I'm thrilled! I wish I could celebrate properly, but I'm in the midst of studying for exams. Still, I'm planning to crack a bottle of champagne tonight just cuz!!

Delene, I love that you used the phrase "as all get out." I used to hear that all the time growing up and use it occasionally now, and most places that I go no one has heard of it! :lol: And thanks for the congrats too, of course!

I've found a lot of information on how to get a pet passport so that Milo can come without having to be quarantined. I'm going to get on that right away, because I want my baby puppy to come experience it with me!

Thanks Burma, finding a hot Scot is definitely on the "to do" list!

Thanks Sue!! I'm hoping that this program will help me craft stories that are more marketable. Hopefully after a year there I'll look back at UTP and just cringe! But maybe I can edit it and actually sell it then! :D

Thank you too, Brenda! I've heard the U. of G. is so beautiful. I can't wait to get there and confirm for myself!

Steph

Edited by AbandonThought

Woo Hoo Steph well done. Winter in Scotland - I hope it's not as bad as this next year :rotflmao: Glasgow has alot to offer in shops, nightlife, sports, entertainment etc. I'm sure Uni life will be alot of fun and expect joining student clubs will make you local friends.

In Edinburgh there is a club called Sunday Brunch Club which encourages newcomers to area to meet new people. It has cinema/theatre/sporting events and is very popular - Glasgow is bound to have something similar.

If you find "talent" in Glasgow that will turn your head like Gerry you're a luckier person than I cause I've spent years looking :lmao:

Moira

Well NO ONE could turn my head like Gerry!! :D But maybe I could find someone to turn my head a little. ;)

I'm very excited... it's going to be an amazing year! I was thinking since none of my family has ever been to the UK before I would try to get them all to come visit me in Scotland for Christmas. I think it'd be wonderful! :)

Steph

Well NO ONE could turn my head like Gerry!! :DNo, he's majorly special.

But maybe I could find someone to turn my head a little. ;)

I'm very excited... it's going to be an amazing year! I was thinking since none of my family has ever been to the UK before I would try to get them all to come visit me in Scotland for Christmas. I think it'd be wonderful! :)

Steph

Our Clan (Donnachaidh) is planning a trip over to see the old clan lands (Perthshire, Rannoch, Pitlochry) in September and I was giving some thought to going with them. Would you be there then? It would be so fun to visit you!! BTW I downloaded some awesome photos of Scotland the other day (my poor hard drive is groaning). Some of them were of the university and were really composed beautifully. My husband is a photographer and he is salivating at the idea of taking photos there. He's Welsh, so we'll probably end up there, as well as where my ancestors stopped briefly in Ireland. So much to see, so little time. I'm jealous of you, GF!

Hugs,

Burma

Posted Image Steph!!!

I've enjoyed reading your stories here on GALS and will being buying your poetry book soon. You're very good!

What a great adventure for you! Soak it all in and enjoy every minute of it!

Hugs,

Cheryl

:yay: What a great early Christmas present! I'm so excited for you Sweetie ....although I had a good feeling for you all along! And I can't wait til you sign your first published best seller for me!

:wave: Frannie

Thanks everyone! I'm sure I'll be keeping you guys updated as I get the details ironed out.

Burma, the program starts September 9, so I should be there for most of September! :D I'm so excited about being in the Old Country; my ancestors are English, Irish, Scottish, and Welsh. :D

Steph

That is so awesome Steph! Even though I will be moving to Tennessee in 2013, I still plan on making it to Scotland in late August/early September 2012 for my 41st birthday. I hope you're still there so we can meet and kick back a few pints of ale and look at all the sexy Scottish guys. :wave::cunning::drink:

I'm super happy for you! :D:woo::highfive::hug1::goodjob:

Please don't cringe when reading UTP. I think that was one of the best stories I ever read. :lighter:

Yeah! Stephanie! I knew you could do it. You're a very talented writer. From the pictures I've seen of the university and Scotland, it looks like one of the most most beautiful countries in the world. You'll get to walk the same hallowed halls as our sexy G man. Even though I'm Irish, I'm not sure which country I'm looking more forward to seeing. From what I've been told by some women who have visited Scotland, the men are the best, very friendly, and love American women.

OMG Stephanie, this is so moving! I cannot begin to describe how excited I am for you, pursuing your dream and all. It seems like yesterday when we first communicated and you said how unhappy you were with your legal studies but you didn't see a way out of it. But now you seem on your way to making it. And I am sure that your year in Scotland will be an amazing experience and you will do great!

I cannot wait until I read your first published work. I know I will enjoy it immensely because I love all the writing you have shared with us so far.

Good luck!

Theresa

Steph, here's a few photos I took when I visited this summer.

I think this is the main gate. Check out the date!

Posted Image

Guess who walked up these steps to class!

Posted Image

This is a view of the Kelvingrove Museum.

Posted Image

This the facade that looks out over the river Kelvin, the museum and park. It was quite a site!

Posted Image

I'm sure you'll love it! All I've got are the memories and a really great backpack from the visitor's center! :pointy:

I'm wondering if Gerry will get any credit for increasing the number of visitors and tuition paying enrollees? ;)

Delene

It's true Bex, it is!! :) Thanks very much!

Oh, and I owe you an e-mail. Don't think I've forgotten! I just didn't have a lot of time to devote to a response when I read yours, so I wanted to wait until I did.

:hug1:

Steph

Let me know where you end up staying Steph. I'm in the east end of Glasgow :) xx

Let me know where you end up staying Steph. I'm in the east end of Glasgow :) xx

Thanks Heather!! I was browsing flats online last night just to get an idea of what was out there, and I was pretty impressed with the selection of furnished places available. When I get more into looking for housing I may run some addresses by you so that you can tell me if any of them are next to known crack houses or anything like that. ;)

Steph