Gerard Butler GALS
Paisleyscot

12/26 - Butler meets director over Robert Burns film

Scots movie star Gerard Butler meets director over Robert Burns film

HOLLYWOOD star Gerard Butler has staged a secret New York summit about making the long-awaited Robert Burns movie.

After years of speculation and several doomed efforts to film the Bard's life, the 300 star met director Vadim Jean at the glitzy Paramount Hotel in Times Square to discuss the project.

Last night, Jean confirmed the pair had been putting the finishing touches to plans for the Burns movie.

He said: "We are great friends and we were meeting up, catching up. Burns is still on and we talked about working together."

Reports had claimed Jean wanted to sign Paisley-born Butler to a new movie called Limousine co-starring Frasier actor Kelsey Grammer.

But Jean said: "I am doing Limousine with Kelsey Grammer - whoever overhead the conversation got it completely wrong. Gerry isn't involved in that.

Read Entire Article HERE

Source: Daily Record

Regarding this subject, I would like to quote Elvis: A little less conversation, a little more action please!

Enough said! (Or is it 'nuff said?).

Theresa

I agree, this news is great, but this project has been such a long time coming, hope the wheels are actually in motion this time.

Both The Sunday Mail and The Daily Record are not known for 100% accuracy but it would be nice to think there is truth here. They obviously spoke to Vadim. Burns is a hard film to sell to a wide audience and unless Gerry is 100% satisfied with script and feels it will have wide appeal it's better off being a "what could have been".

Moira

Can I just say re: the Kelsey Grammer thing: "PHEWWW!"

Just my humble opinion. :kisswink:

Both The Sunday Mail and The Daily Record are not known for 100% accuracy but it would be nice to think there is truth here. They obviously spoke to Vadim. Burns is a hard film to sell to a wide audience and unless Gerry is 100% satisfied with script and feels it will have wide appeal it's better off being a "what could have been".

Moira

I also received this bit of news in a Google Alert, early this morning, and I think this sounds sooooo exciting!! I do believe that the fact that Jean Vadim was quoted, is, in itself, very promising. Sounds like they want the movie to have wide commercial appeal, similiar to the popular "Shakespeare in Love" movie, of a few years ago.

Crossing my fingers!!

Judy

:whoa:

I'm holding onto my yippes until there is actual confirmation and maybe even a beginning film date or location. I just can't allow myself to get excited just yet.

But I'll be keeping my fingers crossed. Posted Image

Lisa

Edited by phoenixgirl

If this is true, what a great Christmas present! I am so thrilled to hear this news and even though I'm not familiar with the reliability of the sources here, if they are quoting Jean, I would hope that it's accurate.

Keeping my fingers crossed and excited beyond words! This is a story that I feel Gerry was made to tell and since it will be filmed in Scotland, it will be a beautiful backdrop to show off that breathtaking and romantic country! I hope it's well written, classy and sexy, just like Gerry!

Delene

I'm so excited about this news! Agreed, it's been in talks for ages but maybe this time it's for real! Posted Image Anyone know if Julia Stiles is still in the cards as Burns' love interest?

Chris

Hope they will be able to see it through this time...

:erik: Erik's ebony Eyes :phantom:

It is too good to be true.

I wish it is, but I will believe after Gerry will confirm it.

But fingers cross.

Good luck...looking forward the movie about Burns....

and Gerry in Scotland..........

Like Moira said, the source(s) are not always 100% accurate, but there was a quote so time will tell.

Lisa, love the fingers crossed emoticon, snagged that bad boy!

Cheryl

Regarding this subject, I would like to quote Elvis: A little less conversation, a little more action please!

Enough said! (Or is it 'nuff said?).

Theresa

:mademe:

If I read correctly, Robert Burns had 14 children by 6 different women.

Well, that explains it! :rotflmao:

Delene

Where are all those children's children today? Are they cataloged as

Burn's children? Where do you find that family tree?

Can't wait to see Gerry play this part. He will not only introduce

the world to Burns but make them love him and want to know

more about this wonderful poet.

Today's youth are not taught Shakespear, Burns, Browning, etc.

the way my generation was. We were taught to love the

works of so many that are not taught today. I hope this

movie will light a fire in today's youth to find out who

these great writers were.

Gerry once said he was going to film Burns in his Mum's back

garden, so I guess we will have to wait for summer, huh?

I've been praying that was why he was growing his hair, it

would be perfect for Burns right about now.

When was this conversation supposed to have taken

place? Does anyone know?

Love him absolutely,

Sandy

You'll be happy to know, Sandy, that students in California are indeed taught Shakespeare and Burns in school. Not like it used to be, but they still read Romeo & Juliet and are taught Red Red Rose at least. :)

Scots movie star Gerard Butler meets director over Robert Burns film

HOLLYWOOD star Gerard Butler has staged a secret New York summit about making the long-awaited Robert Burns movie.

After years of speculation and several doomed efforts to film the Bard's life, the 300 star met director Vadim Jean at the glitzy Paramount Hotel in Times Square to discuss the project.

Last night, Jean confirmed the pair had been putting the finishing touches to plans for the Burns movie.

He said: "We are great friends and we were meeting up, catching up. Burns is still on and we talked about working together."

Reports had claimed Jean wanted to sign Paisley-born Butler to a new movie called Limousine co-starring Frasier actor Kelsey Grammer.

But Jean said: "I am doing Limousine with Kelsey Grammer - whoever overhead the conversation got it completely wrong. Gerry isn't involved in that.

Read Entire Article HERE

Source: Daily Record

place? Does anyone know?

Love him absolutely,

Sandy

Hi Sandy,

I am really looking forward to this particular film. I wonder if it will be one of the beautiful films like those from Merchant Ivory "Remains of the Day", "Howards End", "Room with a View", etc. I hope they don't try to punch it up with a lot of gratuitous sex scenes. I'll never forget watching "The Age of Innocence" with Michelle Pfeiffer and Daniel Day-Lewis. All you ever saw them do on screen was kiss, but the sexual tension between the two characters was palpable.

Conversely, I wasn't crazy about the sex scene in "300" where they showed her breasts and she smiled and licked her lips during sex. Who does that???? Of course, to achieve that sexual tension the lead characters must be carefully cast and I can't envision Julia Stiles opposite Gerry as pulling that off. Someone more glamorous could do it, like a Kate Beckinsale. The camera loves her! Other ideas might be Cate Blanchett, Kate Winslett, Keira Knightley, Sienna Miller (is there an underlying thread there?). I guess when all is said and done, I don't think as much of American actresses as I do those from across the pond. They all seem to sell out in the end and make a film opposite the likes of Ben Stiller (who I love, but really) or Ashton Kutcher (eye candy but nothing more).

I remember learning so many things from literature when I was young. I still remember long sections of "The Walrus and the Carpenter" by Lewis Carroll, "The Charge of the Light Brigade" by Tennyson, and "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner" by Coleridge because I had to memorize them in school. To some that might seem a waste of time, but just like dissecting a symphony, when you are finished the piece becomes a part of you.

I hope schools don't start cutting their art and music programs to achieve budget cuts. Not all parents can afford to give their children a college degree, let alone one in liberal arts, so secondary school is their children's only opportunity to be exposed to the art/music world.

Another change since I was a girl is in the teaching profession. A lot of people didn't need two incomes, so teachers were able to work for the love of teaching in spite of low pay. It's a different world today. Not necessarily worse, but I sure loved some of those ladies who taught me in elementary and high school! (College not so much).

P.S. I'm sure this will start a firestorm, Sandy!

Hugs,

Burma

place? Does anyone know?

Love him absolutely,

Sandy

I think you have asked a fascinating question regarding Burns' children. I wonder if they have/had relationship with one another. Something else to Google!

BlueJean

I hope the film is done along the lines of "Immortal Beloved" or "Pride and Prejudice". I think the sexual nature of Burns is an important element but I hope it's not over played to the point it becomes nothing but a tawdry romp focusing only on his sexual escapades rather then what inspired him, although I'm sure his infamous sexual prowess and drive played a big part. Burns, that is, not Gerry's.

It's not surprising he had a lot of kids from his encounters. To my knowledge, I don't think there was much in the way of birth control back in those days. So you can imagine women being swept up by his charms enough to "risk" getting knocked up, pardon my crudeness!

I've heard Gerry talk about how the story would be told. Sounds like it will be very sexy and perhaps a little raw. Hopefully they'll also spare no expense on the dialogue, setting and story line.

Conversely, I wasn't crazy about the sex scene in "300" where they showed her breasts and she smiled and licked her lips during sex. Who does that????

You mean you didn’t like seeing Gerry in the buff? Are you mad, woman? If Gerry was willing to show off some of what he had, his leading lady could be obliged to do the same, I suppose. Your question is interesting, however. I’m not sure if you meant “who” in the sense of who would show that in the scene or “who” DOES that.

But you are right! We want more bare Gerry in any future sex scenes with the women fully clothed. :lmao:(Or no woman at all!)

Delene

I was lucky enough to see a BBC documentary about Burns and it proved fascinating viewing. On a practical level all but one of the buildings that he either lived or visited on a regular basis still exist and the Church where he worshiped and was the scene of a great event where Jean Armour's Father made him confess his sins to the congregation which resulted in a near riot is still unchanged.

Burns was a strange fascinating man. His wiki entry is a good foundation if you have little knowledge of the man and his work and he can easily be cited as the bedrock of the romantic movement.

J

I hope the film is done along the lines of "Immortal Beloved" or "Pride and Prejudice".

Me too, I loved Pride and Prejudice especially. There was plenty of chemistry without any sex at all!

I think the sexual nature of Burns is an important element but I hope it's not over played to the point it becomes nothing but a tawdry romp focusing only on his sexual escapades rather then what inspired him, although I'm sure his infamous sexual prowess and drive played a big part. Burns, that is, not Gerry's.

Now, Delene, how do you know about Gerry's sexual prowess and drive? Have you been holding out on us????

It's not surprising he had a lot of kids from his encounters. To my knowledge, I don't think there was much in the way of birth control back in those days. So you can imagine women being swept up by his charms enough to "risk" getting knocked up, pardon my crudeness!

I've heard Gerry talk about how the story would be told. Sounds like it will be very sexy and perhaps a little raw. Hopefully they'll also spare no expense on the dialogue, setting and story line.

Sexy is great (Phantom was sexy) but I hope they remember that "less is more". It's the difference between men and women; the guys go for the act, we go for the romance. I don't think any of us really like gratuitous sex, so I hope they are sensitive to us. After all, we gals will be the majority of the audience, I'll bet!

Conversely, I wasn't crazy about the sex scene in "300" where they showed her breasts and she smiled and licked her lips during sex. Who does that????

You mean you didn't like seeing Gerry in the buff? Are you mad, woman? If Gerry was willing to show off some of what he had, his leading lady could be obliged to do the same, I suppose. Your question is interesting, however. I'm not sure if you meant "who" in the sense of who would show that in the scene or "who" DOES that.

But you are right! We want more bare Gerry in any future sex scenes with the women fully clothed. Posted Image(Or no woman at all!)

Amen, sister!! Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Delene

Posted Image

Delene, you're a riot! No, I was just fine seeing what we could see of Gerry, but if they showed her breasts, why couldn't we have something frontal from him!!!! Posted ImageCome on Ger-bear, let's add some shots of that beautiful body in this next film, aye?

What I meant by "who does that" is when did you last smile and lick your lips during . . . . .Posted Image

Posted ImageSorry, Ger-bear!

Hugs,

Burma

What I meant by "who does that" is when did you last smile and lick your lips during . . .

Well, I'm trying to remember the last time! :unsure:

Personally, I always thought it was just a Pavlovian response. Otherwise, I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that it might incriminate me. :cunning:

Delene