Gerard Butler GALS

Gerry's Golden Girls

irish

Dear GOLDEN GALS & PALS

As we continue to walk down memory lane....

Join us as we sit down at the kitchen table, do lunch, and talk about family and friends, gardens and grand kids or divulge a new recipe. Take us down memory lane with those who were near and dear who have gone but are not forgotten. Share your stories of the past and present, of love and laughter and your future hopes and dreams. Air out what ails ya, unload your burdens and release your spirit. You don't have to be a certain age, you can be young at heart or just an "old soul". Come on in, pull up a chair, grab a cup of whatever you like or a nice glass of your favorite wine and stay awhile.

(Thanks Barbara for starting this thread) :kiss:

And speaking of our mama leader, here's a message from Barbara:

Posted Image

Welcome, again, to Gerry's Golden Girls! We had so much fun the first time, we're starting another thread! So come in and let us reminisce along with you as we talk about the old times, the good times, the bad times or even times to come. Revisit past loves, lives and places, we'll honor the memory of those who walked through our lives and have forever left their footprints on our hearts. Come on in, sit down and make yourself at home, no matter what your age or where you are in your present life. We'll laugh, and maybe cry but it's OK. Sometimes talk is a great therapy that releases your soul and replenishes your spirit.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THIRD THREAD...WOW!!! Thanks Sue for taking care of us! I have to say I laugh every time I see your siggy Sue. It does remind me of PSILY!!

Still having fun in Florida at Disney World. It is nice and warm here. Don't know how long it will last but we are taking advantage of the temps now by being outside all of the time.

~HUGS~ Kathy

Congrats to all our GG's for getting to the third thread! This is a fun and to say the least very nostalgic and interesting thread anyway so how could it not be a hit!! Thanks Barb and Sue ......my two bestest buddies! Just popped in to say I'm feeling a bit better and hope to back on Gals mote often and full blast soon! I've been sleeping mote than usual lately ...guess I'm just tired out from fighting this miserable gastro of mine!! But I'll soon be back! :cunning:

:kiss: Frannie

Kathy Sweetie, have a wonderful time in Fla! Lucky you! It's supposed to be icy here again next week! YUCK!

Edited by ladyfran

Gosh, I just read posts on the last thread and see this one has started. Where have I been? Missing

out, that's for sure. Anyway, will make it a point to check in here way more often and hope those of

you who haven't been feeling well, get well soon, and that the extreme weather is so many parts of the

country get back to a more normal winter mode. We have been lucky here in OR, a bit of flooding but

has been worse--many times. Love you Gals!!

Judy

EMBARRASSING MEDICAL EXAMS

At the beginning of my shift

I placed a stethoscope on an elderly

and slightly deaf female patient's anterior chest wall.

'Big breaths,'. . . I instructed.

'Yes, they used to be,'. . .replied the patient.

Submitted by Dr. Richard Byrnes ,

Seattle , WA

While acquainting myself with a new elderly patient,

I asked, 'How long have you been bedridden?'

After a look of complete confusion she answered . . .

' Why, not for about twenty years - when my husband was alive.'

Submitted by Dr. Steven Swanson-

Corvallis , OR

See, just because we are Golden doesn't mean we can't laugh at ourselves! :spit:

Suzie

:funnyup: :funnyup: OMG! Suz, these are too funny but believe me they are so true! My Mom is really hard of hearing and she totally hears everything different...well you know,,,,her way! :p Thanks for keeping us GG's laughing my friend!

:kiss: Frannie

I found this while cleaning out a drawer! Frannie says it is the story of my life cleaning out - how messing can one person be!!! Thought you may enjoy.

At age 16, I learned that mothers always know best, and sometimes fathers know best, too.

At age 20, I learned that crime doesn't pay, even if it is well done.

At age 25, I learned that a new baby keeps the mother from having an eight-hour day and the father from having an eight-hour night.

At age 30, I learned that strength is the charm of a man and the charm is the strength of a woman.

At age 35, I learned that the future is not what you inherit but what you create.

At age 40, I learned that the secret of happy living is not to do what you like but to like what you do.

At age 45, I learned that life is 10 percent what happens to you and 90 percent how you respond to it.

At age 50, I learned that a dog is man's best friend and man's dogma can be his worst enemy.

At age 55, I learned that little decisions should be made with my head and the big decisions with my heart.

At age 60, I learned that you can give without loving, but you can never love without giving.

At age 65, I learned that to enjoy a long life, one should eat what he wants after he has eaten what he should.

At age 70, I learned that life is not a matter of holding good cards but of playing a poor hand well.

At age 75, I learned that as long as you think you are green, you will continue to grow, and as soon as you think you are ripe, you are rotten.

At age 80, I learned that to love and be loved is the greatest joy in the world.

ANN LANDERS COLUMN

Edited by lugerry

:wave: Golden Girls! I just got a lonely hearts letter on Facebook from a man in England who's looking for a serious relationship. He took great pains to tell me that he's 50 years old, but that 50 is just a number! I don't reveal my age on Facebook. I wonder how old he thinks I am? Hey, 50 is just a kid! :p He's also evidently never seen my 6'3" husband! ;)

Great posts, Suzie and Barb!! I'm with Frannie, age 75 is hysterical. I have green eyes so does that mean I will continue to grow?.....as long as it is UP and not wide!!! Horrors!!!!

Elissa...How can a man want a serious relationship when he is in England and you are in America? He'll probably ask for money to come to America to meet you. Don't laugh, I have heard of this happening. A lot goes on, on Facebook. I had to make my page PRIVATE because of the scams.

~HUGS~ Kathy

Kathy, I'm sure the guy was up to no good! Anyway, I not only deleted the message, but I've now set my privacy levels so that only friends can send me a message. ;)

Sorry ladies for taking so long to post this - but I got some "heaven" from a friend today for not posting it sooner.

Culloden - Scotsman

Although I had the numbers of Gerry's stones I wanted to be sure I had the correct ones so I went to the main desk and asked. The lady there checked on the computer and then walked me personally to the area. I thanked her and took some pictures. When from behind came this beautiful brogue - "You know Gerard Butler the actor - you know he is from here - he is a Son of Scotland". I turned around and looked into the most adorable man's face with dark wavy hair and light colored eyes. I hope the expression on my face wasn't that of a deer looking into car headlights - although it sure felt like it! My first thought was what a great souvenir he would make - bringing him home. I said "He is my favorite actor". The man said "I know quite a bit about him since I do the "Dear Frankie" tour where the film was made. Alot of his fans have done the tour. I'm still waiting to see his latest movie The Bounty Hunter" He then said "I would guess you are from America and have come a long way to see his stone so let me take a picture with you next to it. This way you can prove you were here and you will have a nice memory." I'm enjoying ever word he spoke in that delicious brogue. I thank him very much and he said enjoy the rest of your trip and please come on back to Scotland. I never did asked his name! I was mesmerize!!!

Posted Image

If you ever get the chance to visit Culloden - please do the complete tour - I viewed the black & white film on my own (a bit graphic) and then you can go out onto the battlefield by yourself too and believe me it's not an experience that you will easily forget.

Hugs, Barbara

Edited by lugerry

Sorry ladies for taking so long to post this - but I got some "heaven" from a friend today for not posting it sooner.

Culloden - Scotsman

Although I had the numbers of Gerry's stones I wanted to be sure I had the correct ones so I went to the main desk and asked. The lady there checked on the computer and then walked me personally to the area. I thanked her and took some pictures. When from behind came this beautiful brogue - "You know Gerard Butler the actor - you know he is from here - he is a Son of Scotland". I turned around and looked into the most adorable man's face with dark wavy hair and light colored eyes. I hope the expression on my face wasn't that of a deer looking into car headlights - although it sure felt like it! My first thought was what a great souvenir he would make - bringing him home. I said "He is my favorite actor". The man said "I know quite a bit about him since I do the "Dear Frankie" tour where the film was made. Alot of his fans have done the tour. I'm still waiting to see his latest movie The Bounty Hunter" He then said "I would guess you are from America and have come a long way to see his stone so let me take a picture with you next to it. This way you can prove you were here and you will have a nice memory." I'm enjoying ever word he spoke in that delicious brogue. I thank him very much and he said enjoy the rest of your trip and please come on back to Scotland. I never did asked his name! I was mesmerize!!!

Posted Image

If you ever get the chance to visit Culloden - please do the complete tour - I viewed the black & white film on my own (a bit graphic) and then you can go out onto the battlefield by yourself too and believe me it's not an experience that you will easily forget.

Hugs, Barbara

Hi Barbara :wave:

What a great story! Culloden is one of the main places I want to go. My ancestors were stripped of their property for participating in that Jacobite uprising and ended up in Ulster for a brief period. The Scots were so incredibly brave that day, but the odds were certainly against them. After they lost the battle, they weren't permitted to wear the tartan, which is one reason I may wear mine to the con!!

You should have pulled out one of the pictures you have of you and Gerry! That young man would have been very impressed.

Hugs,

Burma

OH, what a delicious story, Lu!! I can think of nothing grander than to talk to a Scotsman in Scotland or anywhere for that matter. You must have been in heaven. I recall reading stories from gals at the Convention in Glasgow about the "Dear Frankie Tour". They all said they had a wonderful time on that tour. What a nice memory you have, Lu. He sounds like a typical Scotsman. They are always ready to visit with people. Thanks for sharing!!!

Burma...The tartan was outlawed for all Highlanders after the Battle of Culloden. It wasn't until Queen Victoria brought back the tartan that it could be worn openly with pride. My MacGregors couldn't use their name for fear of death. So my family line changed it to Gregory. The MacGregors were a constant thorn in the side of the English. What a history.

~HUGS~ Kathy

:wave: Golden Girls. Just got home a while ago from my annual GYN exam with a new doctor. I really liked her and the exam was as tolerable as can be expected. ;) Anyway, some of you probably know about my mammogram from h*ll in 2007 that resulted in permanent nerve damage to my left arm...any way, the new doc listened sympathetically to my story, then handed me an order for a mammogram...sigh. The appointment is set for next week, but at a different clinic. Wish me luck! :unsure:

Elissa Sweetie.... I remember very well the fiasco with your arm... Sending positive thoughts your way my friend! I'm sure all will go pairfect!

Glad you finally got around to sharing your story Barb.....I knew about it and just knew the rest of the Gals would like to hear about your awesome experience!

:wave: Frannie

:wave: Golden Girls. Just got home a while ago from my annual GYN exam with a new doctor. I really liked her and the exam was as tolerable as can be expected. ;) Anyway, some of you probably know about my mammogram from h*ll in 2007 that resulted in permanent nerve damage to my left arm...any way, the new doc listened sympathetically to my story, then handed me an order for a mammogram...sigh. The appointment is set for next week, but at a different clinic. Wish me luck! :unsure:

Elissa....I am more than sympathetic about your mammogram story I am angry that we women are put through this torture once a year and no one will devise another way of detecting "lumps". I had a mammogram from h*ll two years ago and I thought the gal was trying to make me FLAT like a pancake. I called her on it but she said, "Hold your breath it will be over quickly". After that I told the attendant that if she squeezed too hard I would yell and that would not be pretty. I haven't had a problem since. I think it is all the attendant's fault. Some are good and some are crappy. I wish they would do similar tests on mens b*lls and then I'll bet new testing methods would be in the works quickly. Elissa, it is a crime what happened to you.

~HUGS~ Kathy

Elissa....I am more than sympathetic about your mammogram story I am angry that we women are put through this torture once a year and no one will devise another way of detecting "lumps". I had a mammogram from h*ll two years ago and I thought the gal was trying to make me FLAT like a pancake. I called her on it but she said, "Hold your breath it will be over quickly". After that I told the attendant that if she squeezed too hard I would yell and that would not be pretty. I haven't had a problem since. I think it is all the attendant's fault. Some are good and some are crappy. I wish they would do similar tests on mens b*lls and then I'll bet new testing methods would be in the works quickly. Elissa, it is a crime what happened to you.

~HUGS~ Kathy

Thanks, Kathy, You're right. Some techs are terrible. I remember telling the girl that I wasn't positioned correctly, but she insisted that I was and basically told me to stand still and be quiet! She threw the switch and gave me a brachial plexus crush injury! I tried to sue but couldn't find a lawyer to take the case. Needless to say I'm not going back to that clinic! They were always rough at that clinic, but the last visit resulted in permanent nerve damage, 3 months of physical therapy, and lost wages on my part. This will be my first mammogram since 2007, but I've done regular self exams and the doctor today said everything felt fine to her. My co-workers all go to the clinic I'm going to next week and none of them have had any problems there.

Best of luck with this mammogram, Elissa. They can do ultrasounds, can't they? Just more expensive. Hope

no bad effects this time.

Lu, I love the story re: Culloden. What a wonderful turn of events to have such a handsome Scotsman come to

your aid! For a moment there, I thought you were gonna say it was Gerry, himself! Now that would have given

you heart failure! That is one place I would love to visit if I were ever to get to Scotland.

Hope everyone is getting through this harder than usual winter weather. We have still been fortunate here

in the Willamette Valley.

Hugs,

Judy

Judy, unfortunately insurance companies won't pay for an ultrasound for a routine screening. :( Those are only to followup on suspicious lesions on routine mammograms.

Edited to say that my daughter just told me she's going to go with me as my witness during the mammogram. I :wuv: her!

Edited by Lady Elissa

Judy, unfortunately insurance companies won't pay for an ultrasound for a routine screening. :( Those are only to followup on suspicious lesions on routine mammograms.

Edited to say that my daughter just told me she's going to go with me as my witness during the mammogram. I :wuv: her!

Bless your daughter!! You need a witness. If things do not feel right just tell the gal to stop. You may have a weakness in that area now and you certainly don't want a recurrence like last time. Good luck sweetie!!

~HUGS~ Kathy

Kathy ......you made me spit out my coffee!! " I wish they would do similar tests on mens b*lls and then I'll bet new testing methods would be in the works quickly. "

But boy you are sooooooooooooooooooooo right!

:wave: Frannie

Kathy, you won't believe this but it's the gospel truth! Back in the early 90s when my son was in kindergarten half days, I worked as a volunteer in the ER of a local hospital. One of the nurses used to say the exact same thing about the mammography machines. When I went for my very first ever, one of my arms was numb for a couple of weeks afterward.