Gerard Butler GALS
joycee

Screenng Of MGP last night, Jan 31, Woodland Hills, CA

I am a brand new member of GALS. I want to tell you a little about the film MGP that I saw at a screening last night

in Woodland Hills, CA at the AMC Promenade. I could not help wondering if anyone else from this website was there - I had no way of knowing.

Saw the film with quite a large audience in one of the largest theaters in the multiplex. It was filled.

The film for me got off to a very difficult start and I was not sure I was going to like it - it was tough.

GB's (I call him GB rather than Gerry, not sure why) character was not a likeable man. I was uncomfortable seeing

GB play such a unappealing man. He was rough, touch, nasty, sloppy and very mean.

As the film went on, everything changed, the story unfolded and GB got a very gorgeous again!

To be honest, I was not sure I would like the movie but I did and so did two other ladies I was with, one did not.

It was a very difficult film to watch and my head was down many times, I just could not look at what was happening

to the children of the Sudan. It was horrific!

GB, of course was great, what a good actor he is, he did a wonderful job in this film and I sure hope it is appreciated. I am happy to answer any questions.

I c

I \UI

I

Welcome to GALS.

Thanks for posting about the screening. I don't have any questions for you but maybe others might.

Joycee, welcome and I'm so jealous!

Sounds like the movie is going to be great and Gerry's portrayal of Sam poignant! I can't wait to see it although I'm with you! I'll probably avert my eyes at some things but it's a message that has to get out there and a story that needs to be told!

I'm very proud of Gerry for making this movie and look so forward to it!

I do have a one question, what was the audience reaction? Did they seemed moved or did you overhear anyone's comments?

Thanks for sharing! :wave:

Delene

P.S. Just wanted to add that I read some "tweets" from some who attended the showing and some thought this would be an Oscar nom for Gerry and this was coming from a random viewer! I'm so thrilled to hear this! All in all, it was considered very intense and moving. Again, I'm thrilled!

Edited by GBPhanatic

Hiya Joycee and welcome! There were actually a few members of GALS that were at the screening Monday night, myself included.

I agree with you 100% on the situation in Sudan being horrific. Excellent comparison.

I was accompanied by my husband and we were both approached by the "Film for View" company to stay afterward for the focus group. We did.

GBPhanatic there were 24 of us in the focus group and a small majority gave the movie an "Excellent", with the larger majority going with "Good". A very small percentage (just one person out of the 24) said they didn't like it. I hope that info. helps.

Overall everyone thought it was a very good film. We were asked in one word to describe it. I said "intense" and someone else agreed with me. More comparisons were "emotional", "educational", "action-packed", "sad". The discussion lasted about 15-20 minutes and they really tried to go over a lot of stuff. It was fun discussing a movie of one of my favorite actors with professionals in the industry.

They may screen it a couple more times so everyone should keep their eyes open for this opportunity.

Register on this website. It may help:

Nielsen Movie site

I would love to be invited to a prescreen of MGP if it showed close by. I did register with the Nielsen link but it asked for an ID number at the bottom of my "invitation". I had none so I hope it went through and I'm registered for any future invitations to MGP or any other movie screenings for that matter.

Delene

Hiya Joycee and welcome! There were actually a few members of GALS that were at the screening Monday night, myself included.

I agree with you 100% on the situation in Sudan being horrific. Excellent comparison.

I was accompanied by my husband and we were both approached by the "Film for View" company to stay afterward for the focus group. We did.

GBPhanatic there were 24 of us in the focus group and a small majority gave the movie an "Excellent", with the larger majority going with "Good". A very small percentage (just one person out of the 24) said they didn't like it. I hope that info. helps.

Overall everyone thought it was a very good film. We were asked in one word to describe it. I said "intense" and someone else agreed with me. More comparisons were "emotional", "educational", "action-packed", "sad". The discussion lasted about 15-20 minutes and they really tried to go over a lot of stuff. It was fun discussing a movie of one of my favorite actors with professionals in the industry.

They may screen it a couple more times so everyone should keep their eyes open for this opportunity.

Register on this website. It may help:

Nielsen Movie site

Thanks for sharing this! Could you tell us in your opinion, is this a good role for Gerry? Do feel that this role really allows him to dig deeper than some of his more recent roles? Do you think this role will garner critical acclaim for him?

~ ... I think the first thing that needs clarifying is that the print we saw was a "work in progress" & the film was introduced as such. So there's an awful lot of refining that needs to be done before the final cut.

~ It's a subject that goes on in many third world countries & has actually been the focus of several films, but not one that is based on one person's 'salvation' which then becomes a tidal wave. There is a lot of violence & the beginning of the film is non stop. For me, some facets of the film felt forced. It seemed that the director was trying a little too much to convince the audience of a particular 'reality'.

~ When all the re-shoots & editing are done it could be a winner. The tone of the film needs to be more balanced in nuance, possibly intermingling the violence/salvation/struggles more in rhythm to notch up the internal struggle the main character deals with. I felt something was missing, but haven't quite defined what it is. Some very good performances, but for me none actually Oscar worthy.

P.S. Hi Joycee! I don't know how many of Gerry Butler's films you've caught up with, but if you'd like to watch, what many consider his premiere film "The Phantom of the Opera" in a theatre, I have a screening every November in West Los Angeles.

Cheers! MusikPosted Image

Edited by Musik

Thank you for your post and welcome to GALS. I cannot wait to see the movie. It sound like it will bring GB the recognition he deserves. I really really hope so.

Thanks for sharing this! Could you tell us in your opinion, is this a good role for Gerry? Do feel that this role really allows him to dig deeper than some of his more recent roles? Do you think this role will garner critical acclaim for him?

Swansong I hope Musik's posting helped with some of your questions. She words things so much better than I do. Personally I loved seeing Gerard in this kind of role. As Joycee had pointed out he was a complete creep at the beginning and to see him make the transformation to this hero-type warrior was really awe-inspiring. At least to me it was.

In the focus group there were a lot of people who compared MGP to Hotel Rwanda and Blood Diamond which were both nominated for several Oscars. I would love to see MGP follow suit.

I would also love to see if part of the ticket proceeds go towards Sam Childers' foundation but that may be hard to do.

I think it would be good to have Gerry and Sam on Oprah before the movie comes out. Let's ring up big "O", shall we?

Delene

Thank you, Joycee, GoldDustWoman and Musik, for your insights on the screening of MGP! Posted Image

Musik, you are saying that this film could be a winner, yet as far as you can tell there are no Oscar worthy performances in it. Could you be more specific, what do you think was lacking in Gerry's performance? I am so hopeful that both Coriolanus and MGP will bring Gerry the recognition he deserves but find your take on the MGP performances a little disheartening.

Thanks,

Chris

I would be willing to bet this was a particularly hard role for Gerry to play, especially with all the children abuse

involved. I hope he distanced himself enough from his true emotion to keep from causing himself any permanent

damage. This subject matter had to be hard for him to deal with, he loves children so and tries to help them

every way he can.

I do not believe that Gerry is capable of giving an imperfect performance. He brings his own reality to every

character he portrays, and this one has to be the hardest one he has taken on yet, simply because of the

horror and reality of the character. This is not a fictious character, Sam Childers is real and this situation is

real and these children's plights are real. This had to be a nightmare for Gerry, and even though he was

kept out of the thick of the situation, he was still faced with the reality of the situation.

I appreciate your reviews and your opinions, I only hope your opinions fall short of his actual performance in

everyone else's eyes. I can't wait to see this myself. I know the subject matter will be hard for me as well,

but I know what Gerry is capable of, and I hope his talent brings this crisis to light so that these children can

get some help from around the world and this situation can be brought to justice. I know how Gerry can

pull an absolutely brilliant performance to light and I can't wait. I can only imagine that Gerry's performance, in

simply being able to bring this to the screen, most likely deserves an Oscar. I hope his mind is having time to

rebound from the horrors he was forced to face in bringing this film to reality. I give him all my respect and all

my support in his endeavor.

Love him absolutely,

Sandy

I think it would be good to have Gerry and Sam on Oprah before the movie comes out. Let's ring up big "O", shall we?

Delene

I love that idea!!!

Delene

I love that idea!!!

I sent an email making the suggestion. Here's the link if anyone else wants to send one. Go to the "Be On The Show" section to the right and click on the appropriate header.

http://www.oprah.com/oprah_show.html -

Delene

Great idea Dee!! Thanks for the link!

:wave: Frannie

Delene

I love that idea!!!

I sent an email making the suggestion. Here's the link if anyone else wants to send one. Go to the "Be On The Show" section to the right and click on the appropriate header.

http://www.oprah.com/oprah_show.html -

Delene

I was looking in all of those boxes for upcoming shows and couldn't figure out which one to use but I did find this Producer page to fill out for guest/show suggestions. Sorry if I'm being redundant.

Oprah Show suggestions

I'm wondering since this is her final season if they're even taking anymore ideas.

I can't even begin to voice how much I want MGP to be a great film and a great role for Gerry. I got my hopes up, following early reports on LAC screenings, but LAC did not end up being the type of movie I was hoping for. I wanted drama but LAC was too much gimmick and not enough heart. I am just soooooo wanting MGP to be the role that proves to all the naysayers and critics: Gerry IS a great actor.

Musik, your comments make it sound kind of iffish. And also, for those who have seen screenings, is this Gerry's movie, or does he play second fiddle to someone else? I don't want anyone to upstage his acting abilities! I know. I sound ridiculous in my emotional investment as a fan, but I can't help it. I want this movie to be fantastic, and good just won't be good enough.

Gerry Butler + true humanitarian story + reformed bad guy = Great movie!

I dont' see how it can go wrong with two main themes going on, one a guy who is a detriment to society finds God, finds his calling and not only turns himself around but uses his bad arse attitude for a humanitarian cause that no one else has the guts to do.

The only thing I can see that might go "wrong" is overthetop "graphic" violence to push the point across. I believe it is necessary to convey the message and the truth but don't make it so painful to watch that people get put off and don't go see it. It's a story that needs to be told but I believe people will get it anyway with less. Sometimes, as they say, less is more.

You can't please everyone, however. Some won't care for it. Most people are sympathetic and concerned to the plight of people in other countries. Some are going to feel that we need to leave it alone and take care of our own before we go in to somebody else's back yard.

Sam seems exactly the kind of man that a situation like this needs. I can't think of a character that would be created in Hollywood and played by Stallone, Van Dam or Segal that could portray it fictionally any better. Sorry if I misspelled any of the names.

I'm excited and anxious to see it and I'm sure Gerry is more concerned about telling the story then winning any award although I'm sure in the back of his mind, he would like one someday. I don't know if they have a catagory for "Humanitarian Effort in Cinema" award, but maybe they should for films like this.

Delene

Just found these replies, to be honest I am having a little bit of trouble navigating around this site, which obviously is because I am a computer illerate just incase any of you are laughing at

this point! I went down the list of replies and will make some comments, but since one of the posters went to the focus group afterwards, she would be your best source.

One of the questions (for anyone not ever attending screenings, everyone fills out a questionaire afterwards) they asked "did this film remind you of any other film?" and I could not think of the

one that it did remind me of and the answer was "Hotel Rowanda" and to be sure, I suffered in that one also. The studios do not like those comparisons, they want their film to be fresh andnew

and unique!! The 4 ladies I went with, 3 loved it, one did not. The clapping after the film (audiences always clap at screenings out of respect) was not extremly loud, it was good, not wild as

some screenings I have been to. Again, the lady who went to the focus group is a better indication than I. She can tell you, if anyone is interested, what exactly people said about the film, for

instance, did anyone rate GB's performance as Oscar worthy? I thought he was fabulous but I always do! Screenings are always a work in progress, they will cut, shorten and change a lot before

the film is released. The screenings are very important to them in that respect and what the focus groups say I am sure is discussed - they take that very seriously. I did say on my card the film

was too long and they realize that already and will change that. It was Gerry's film completely, the man who played his friend (name?) was very good also as was his daughter and wife, it the

film belonged to GB!

I was thinking looking back at GB's involvement in Hati, this must have really hit him hard. This would be the kind of role that he would want to do - not that the situations were similar but just

that I believe in his heart and soul he cares deeply about helping those who are helpless!

I could have gotten as many tickets as I wanted but was told not to print the screening company website on a GB fan site. I have a lady from the screening company who emails me with

screenings and she knows I WANT ANY SCREENINGS WITH FILMS OF GERARD BUTLER!! So, next time anyone here in the L.A. area gets's approached by someone in the mall in front of a theater,

etc. that is handing out tickets, give them your name and email for future screenings as I did.

p.s. to the nice lady here who suggested I might want a ticket to PHANTOM OF THE OPERA, that made me smile!! That was my first film with GB, I saw it on the screen at leas 10 times, watched

it over and over on HBO and of course, now own the film. I have been a fan since 2004 but, just joined here!

I could have gotten as many tickets as I wanted but was told not to print the screening company website on a GB fan site. I have a lady from the screening company who emails me with

screenings and she knows I WANT ANY SCREENINGS WITH FILMS OF GERARD BUTLER!!

I'm confused so I apologize in advance, but wouldn't you requesting screenings with Gerry....make YOU a fan too and especially now that you're a registered member of a fan site? I realize the idea is to gain an unbiased viewer opinion but I'm a little put off by the fact that any specific instruction was given not to allow the idenity of the screening company's website on a GB fan site. It's as if they do not trust any of Gerry's fans to make a critique objectively. I agree that there are a few that see Gerry as nothing but perfect as well as everything he does, but I think the majority of his fans are a bit more realistic then that. Besides, his fan base is spread out all over the world. We couldn't ALL show up to a screening in one location.

I can assure you that if I was given a ticket and asked to give my viewpoint from the position of the ticket buying public, I'd give it, the bad with the good. I want Gerry to succeed, of course, but I think most of us here feel that if he does something that would be less then acceptable, we'll voice it especially in light of the possibility that the movie could have some problems and it's for sure we'd want them to be addressed.

I'd rather have someone tell me honestly what was wrong so it could be fixed and I'm sure, especially since we love and admire him, we'd want him to know! It does absolutely no good to anyone to see them through rose colored glasses but I believe that the best source for honest opinion comes from those who care about you, most of the time. But that's just me. If Gerry asked me if his butt looked fat, I'd tell him and I think I am quite capable of separating out how fine he looks from how good of a performance he's giving.

There are also those in the general viewing public who might dislike Gerry and skew the opinion the other way also with the mind set that emotion is in control, so to leave out his fans, they should also omit people who might not like him or have strong feelings about the subject matter. Does that make sense?

There is one of Gerry's movies that I absolutely hated and if I had gone to a prescreening, I would have rated his performance actually quite good but the movie for me sucked! There was another one that was beneath his level of talent in it's writing and he walked through it basically but there's not much you can do with a weak story line either. I've seen better performances in high school plays then that movie from everybody. So see, I would be more than adequate to provide an objective viewpoint.

I'm happy that they have prescreened this to what they hope is the general public. I'm sure that a film of this magnitude and subject matter should be but I'm not sure why they would feel any of Gerry's fans would not be able to give an honest opinion. We're tougher on him then you think!

Thanks for your continued input, Joycee.

Delene

I have a question for you joycee, but first...thanks for answering them and signing up on this forum.

My question is a bit selfish, but I'm dying to know. In the movie, how much of Sam Childers house is used and seen in the movie? The house I'm referring to is the one in the woods that has the wrap around deck on the second story. Tan with the brown front door. The reason I'm wondering is because that's my house. I was told it would be in about thirty minutes of the movie, but you know how editing goes. Lol. Some of the scenes in my house include the Bon fire scene, the gun safe scene where GB is putting firearms into his duffel bag, and pretty much any scene with that horrid green carpet and goofy 70s style wallpaper that I've grown to love. Hahahahaha! Thanks joycee.

Hi Polar Bear - there were quite a few scenes in the house, I don't remember all of them. I believe a pivotal scene when Sam is back home and his daughter is asking if she and her friends can rent a limo for her formal dance happens in the living room.

I also attended the screening on Monday night. For the most part I thought it was excellent, "emotionally intense" was how I described it. It is NOT an easy movie to watch and as joycee said, the first part of the movie that shows us just what a horrific excuse for a human being Sam was before he found religion is very very dark and I hope people don't up and leave the theater before his transformation. There were parts of the movie that dragged a bit, there were parts that I wished I could recall during that quick 10 minutes we had to fill out a 2-page survey after it ended. I remembered things later, talking to others who attended, and on the drive back home. It seemed like the tranformation was too pat, glossed over a bit. He goes from this person I can't imagine anyone wanting to be around to Mr. Upstanding Citizen really quickly. There is one small scene late in the film that I really hope doesn't end up on the cutting room floor because to me it is the crux of a really great discussion point - does the mission justify the methods? There is also the moral dilemma of Sam's detachment from those at home (wife, daughter, friend, mother) because of his commitment to saving the children of Sudan. Even when he is physically back at home he seems to be emotionally absent. I thought it was very powerful when Sam suffers a crisis of faith and we see some of his old personality flaws emerge. I think the film could raise some great debates on moral issues. I thought Gerry did a great job as Sam with the exception of one scene that bugged the heck out of me. During one of his preaching scenes at the church he built in Pennsylvania he suddenly sounds like a Southern preacher. Sam is from Pennsylvania which last I checked isn't in the south. and during the rest of the time when he is preaching or talking he does not have a southern accent, yet in that one scene his accent goes off in the wrong direction. Gerry has a struggle with accents, at least I didn't catch any of the Scottish burr coming through even in the really emotional scenes, and that had to be hard for him. I didn't put that in my survey because I didn't think of it until later, but I wish I had so perhaps it could be redone.

finally found my way back here, I seem to loose the thread each time when I return - it seems to be in another place. Not sure that makes sense? Also, I have not been able to use the spell check

so I hope I am not making any awful errors. Not sure exactly why I have those problems. First thanks for all of your welcomes, I appreciate it. Let me explain what I meant about the

screening process. The lady I signed up with just gets me tickets. She gets me tickets for other stars I like also, but my emphasis is on GB and she knows that. There are other screening

companies in the L.A. area, she works for just this one. There is no problem that she knows I am a big fan of GB, the only think she does not want me to do is to print her email on the fansite.

I think that is logical - if I did that and there are let's say over a hundred fans who live here and they all come to the screenings, that could be unfair, - unfair to the studios who want honest

appraisals of their films. Can you blame them? What they don't realize is that his fans WILL BE HONEST. because they want the best for GB and they want his films to be successful! If I were in

the focus group for instance I would be totally honest and that is how I was on my question card because I want to studio to know what the people think of the film, because I know it helps them

decide how to cut and edit the film. Sometimes they add scenes to a film before it is completed and the actors are called back to do that. If you live in L.A. where a lot of screenings take place it

is very easy to get tickets. They screen in various areas, L.A., Orange County, the suburbs, etc. The ticket people are all over distributing tickets, at malls, in frong of theaters. I have always

approached them and checked out what films they are screening and that is how I got to meet my ticket lady who emails me with various films. It is no trick, but they do look for certain age groups

for certain films. We are very important to them, they want honesty and I know GB's fans would be honest but, they don't know that!

To the lady who's house was used - yes, I do remember the house well. I do not want to give too much away so, if anybody is sensitive, this is a spoiler but I do not think it will ruin anything for you. In the beginning of the film Sam C. gets out of jail and goes home to a miserable, messy and downright dirty trailer. He is dirt poor. spoiler - then he makes this marvelous turnaround, goes

into business, makes money and buys this very nice house!! Wow it sure is a major improvement. The house is very nice, very modern looking and they show a full shot of the outside of it when

they move in. I do remember the scenes you describe well of the inside of the house. It looks comfortable and cozy and you can't help being happy for Sam and family. If I remember, the kitchen

was not that big, right? I have to think hard because around this time I was just looking at GB and those arms! I am sure he put on weight for the part, but he looked very sexy especially with the

long hair! As I said, in the beginning I was very uneasy because of how sloppy he looked, but do not worry, you will know when he starts to change and look like we like him to look!

p.s. since MGP is a work in progress, there will be more screenings I think, they will be in other areas, like Orange County. A lot of it depends on what the audience says and their reaction.

I went to screening of IT'S COMPLICATED, Meryl Streep and Alec Baldwin - well I read they only had one screening and the film was ready to roll. The audience loved it and did not want any changes. Personally, I do not think this will be the case with MGP............................*

As I said, the lady who was in the focus group can tell you more, she must have heard a lot of valuable information and I also would like to hear more from her.

Also, AIN'T IT COOL website - "Harry" goes to a lot of screenings, he could have been there and he always comments about the film. I meant to check but forgot. Maybe, it is not too late.

Thanks gals. Btw..I'm a guy. Lol. That's me and Gerry in my avitar. I know this movie is supposed to be emotional, but it sounds like I might be tearing up when I go see it. Haha. It's probably good that this movie is so deep and sad. First and foremost, I hope it brings light on the situation in Sudan and helps Sam Childers cause. Second, I hope Gerry and the mgp crew win an award for this movie. As we all know, the Oscar winners are the movies that move people. And finally, for my own selfish and petty reasons, I'm proud to have my house in this movie and I want this movie to be one of those that people remember after it's come and gone from the theatre.