Gerard Butler GALS
Rendita

2/3 - Weinstein Co in Talks To Buy Coriolanus

This is fantastic news! My fingers......well....a lot of things are crossed.

Ren

http://www.deadline.com/2011/02/weinstein-co-in-talks-to-buy-coriolanus/

EXCLUSIVE: The Weinstein Company is negotiating for U.S. distribution rights to Coriolanus, the Ralph Fiennes-directed John Logan-scripted contemporized adaptation of the Shakespeare play. Gerard Butler, Fiennes, Brian Cox, Vanessa Redgrave and Jessica Chastain lead the cast. The film will be part of the competition at the upcoming Berlin International Film Festival. It puts Harvey Weinstein back in business with Fiennes, who starred in the 1996 Best Picture winner The English Patient and most recently in The Reader. The plan being discussed involves platforming the picture later this year, in time for awards season. Fiennes plays the title character, a hero who is banished and plots his revenge by aligning with his sworn enemy, Tulles Aufidius (Butler) to return and sack his homeland. Political machinations and misgivings get in the way and place Coiolanus in grave danger. Gabrielle Tana of Magnolia Mae Films, Julia Taylor-Stanley of Artemis Films, and Colin Vaines produced it. Weinstein viewed the film a month ago in London. The pending deal follows an aggressive Sundance for Weinstein, who acquired the fest's two highest priced films in the Paul Rudd-starrer My Idiot Brother and the Tobey Maguire-starrer The Details.

Great news! I was beginning to wonder if it was going to make it over here!

Thanks for the info, Ren!

Delene

http://www.deadline....buy-coriolanus/

EXCLUSIVE: The Weinstein Company is negotiating for U.S. distribution rights to Coriolanus, the Ralph Fiennes-directed John Logan-scripted contemporized adaptation of the Shakespeare play. Gerard Butler, Fiennes, Brian Cox, Vanessa Redgrave and Jessica Chastain lead the cast. The film will be part of the competition at the upcoming Berlin International Film Festival. It puts Harvey Weinstein back in business with Fiennes, who starred in the 1996 Best Picture winner The English Patient and most recently in The Reader. The plan being discussed involves platforming the picture later this year, in time for awards season. Fiennes plays the title character, a hero who is banished and plots his revenge by aligning with his sworn enemy, Tulles Aufidius (Butler) to return and sack his homeland. Political machinations and misgivings get in the way and place Coiolanus in grave danger. Gabrielle Tana of Magnolia Mae Films, Julia Taylor-Stanley of Artemis Films, and Colin Vaines produced it. Weinstein viewed the film a month ago in London. The pending deal follows an aggressive Sundance for Weinstein, who acquired the fest's two highest priced films in the Paul Rudd-starrer My Idiot Brother and the Tobey Maguire-starrer The Details.

hadn't noticed it had already been posted so merged them both. Thanks Ren

Moira

What does platforming a movie mean? I hope Corio has more than a limited distribution...

Posted ImagePosted Image

This is Fantastic news if The Weinstein company pics up Coriolanus!

They have a great track record for marketing and distributing films. Harvey gets behind his films and many have gone on to win Oscars and GG.

I sure hope this happens!

Cheryl

Oh, I sooooo hope this deal goes through and we get to see Coriolanus here in the US! :D There's a local theater here that shows mostly independent release foreign films. It's where I saw "The King's Speech" and "Biutiful" recently in full houses. I think Coriolanus would do well here. :D

oh my goodness!! This is the most fantastic news if negotiations come through. The Weinstein Company is highly supportive of smaller, indie made films and is very often responsible for getting them distributed to theaters all over. Even this year, the Weinstein Company distributed The King's Speech which is the front runner film to win Best Picture and that movie started off in very small venues and playing in only select cities, and now look at it, playing everywhere and making tons of money. I really hope this comes to pass, I really do.

I hope this means a wide distribution and advertising...........I don't want this sacked like RnR got from the media!!!

I really think this is gonna be a HUGE movie for Fiennes and G!

Keeping everything crossed...I hope this is all good news and happens!!!!!

:kisswink:

sparty

I don't want this sacked like RnR got from the media!!!

Actually, Ben Mankiewicz, who did "At The Movies" for a while put RNR on his top ten list of best movies for 2008. It just didn't get the wide distribution it should have. I am praying that Coriolanus fairs much better.

Seems like whenever the name "Weinstein" is attached to anything, it flourishes. Let's hope all goes well.

Delene

This is fantastic news! :yay: I am so excited to see the movie. I feel this year will be a great year for his carrier. It looks like both of his movies start to get a lot of attention.

Edited by Sabina

Breaking news from Berlin via Variety:

The Weinstein Co. has bought Coriolanus!!!

Weinstein Co. buys Ralph Fiennes' 'Coriolanus'

Berlin competition pic stars Gerard Butler

BERLIN --- The Weinstein Co. has snapped up domestic rights to Ralph Fiennes' directorial debut "Coriolanus" at the Berlin Film Festival.

Pic, which toplines Gerard Butler, Vanessa Redgrave and Fiennes, is playing in competition at Berlinale.

TWC were circling the project, based on the Shakespeare play about the Roman warrior Coriolanus, pre-EFM.

Icon is handling international sales.

Finally, we're going to start getting some more GB movies! Good,good news! Yaaay!