Gerard Butler GALS
becozy

Gerry flying a helicopter!

I thought this was on the board...it's already in Multimedia for downloading (! thank you Mel!)

but if you want to watch it Stuart has it available at GB GALS YouTube here

:unsure:Be careful Gerry; my business partner was a pilot for the CJAD radio traffic report in Montreal and he died doing what he loved most.Helicopters are very dangerous to fly because they have no wings; so that when the motor cuts out; no soaring! And NO there is nothing this man "can not do"...

Gerry is not flying that helicopter. The pilot is sitting next to him. Gerry is a passenger.

~HUGS~ Kathy

Gerry is not flying that helicopter. The pilot is sitting next to him. Gerry is a passenger.

~HUGS~ Kathy

Actually, the guy said that Gerry LANDED the helicopter. Not sure if the controls are on both sides or what the deal it, but it does seem that Gerry was in control of the helicopter. I have no doubt that he was. :lol: I'm sure he didn't fly around the city or even the airport; probably just wanted to feel the power, and was able to take off and land in one spot. That's my guess on it, anyway.

OY VEY! Another thing to worry about! I love how adventurous he is, though. There is nothing he can't do, and if he wants his pilot's license, I hope he'll be safe and careful and not fly those little Sensas or whatever. They make me nervous.

Good for Gerry! :)

Lisa

Helicopter pilots sit on the right side. The "joy sticks" are positioned on either side of that seat. Gerry was flyin', baby!

Delene

Edited by GBPhanatic

Could it be possible that like cars; the steering wheel changes side too depending in which country its flown?

Could it be possible that like cars; the steering wheel changes side too depending in which country its flown?

Could be, May, that they fly on the wrong side of the sky as well! :funnyup: I just love you! :kiss:

Delene

My former BF flies (and gave lessons) for both helicopters and planes and most (not all) helicopters, like planes have co-pilot controls. No way of knowing if he was flying, but he certainly could have been. If a helicopter is a single pilot craft, there is NO seat for a passenger in the front. FAA guidelines state that no non-licensed individual can sit in the co-pilots seat of either a plane or helicopter unless they have a permit for training (you have to attend many classes, pass detailed, intense tests and clear several serious medical checks before you can even become a trainee). Chances are he was taking another lesson.

I'm not arguing the point of whether Gerry's flying or in control of the helicopter, but I wanted to say that I believe helicopter pilots do predominately sit on the right-hand side, but not always.

Ren

probably just wanted to feel the power, and was able to take off and land in one spot

You're probably correct but I think he'd have to have a permission to handle the joy stick. It's not like flying an airplane, which is much simpler. I know that I'd prefer Gerry to handle both joy sticks while I could take over the third one as co-pilot. I just love me some joystick!

Delene

Edited by GBPhanatic

Sounds like you can fly from either side. I found this interesting from the Internet.....

It depends on the make and model of the helicopter. Some helicopters have the pilot in command in the left seat, but most place the pilot in command in the right.

There is no such thing as a shared collective. There are always two cyclics, two collectives, and two sets of pedals when dual controls are installed. Helicopter pilots always fly with the cyclic in their right hand and collective in their left hand, regardless of which seat they are in, and regardless of make and model.

If you were to just let go of all controls, you would lose control and the helicopter would be all over the place. However, occasionally you must let go of something to change the radios, use navigation equipment, scratch your nose, look at a map, etc., etc. It is preferable to let go of the collective because letting go of that control will have less impact on the aircraft.

If you are sitting on the right seat, then the radios, etc. are easily reached by your left hand when you let go of the collective, since those radios and what not are usually in the center (i.e. to the left of the right hand pilot). If you were on the left seat and you let go of the collective, you would have to reach across yourself to use the radios, or you would have to trade hands. It is much more clumsy to reach your instrument panel when you sit in the left seat.

The advantage of sitting in the left seat comes when carrying loads underneath the aircraft. In order to see the load beneath you, you must lean over to look out and down. It is easier to fly the collective when you are leaning to your left, so often the pilot in command will sit on the left when hauling loads.

My cousin flew Huey helicopters in Vietnam. He got a purple heart on a bad landing when his helicopter was hit. He said helicopters are not easy to fly.

~HUGS~ Kathy

No they are not easy to fly. They seem to contradict direction you want to go plus you have to be a bit ambidextrous. You'd know Gerry couldn't settle for just flying an airplane. Besides, a helicopter doesn't need a runway and you can fly them at lower altitudes then a plane. He can skim right over grid locked LA traffic! In fact, he could land it right out here in my pasture no problem! :cunning:

Delene

No they are not easy to fly. They seem to contradict direction you want to go plus you have to be a bit ambidextrous. You'd know Gerry couldn't settle for just flying an airplane. Besides, a helicopter doesn't need a runway and you can fly them at lower altitudes then a plane. He can skim right over grid locked LA traffic! In fact, he could land it right out here in my pasture no problem! :cunning:

Delene

You are right there Delene; Jean-Pierre; my business partner (RIP) took me up with him once and it was like floating in a bubble! I could see the ground below because the window went almost under us! It was the CJAD traffic Ranger; which was strange because his last name and the name of the Hardware store was "Ranger's". But he worked with both feet and hands at all times plus of course the head gear for communications. I miss him so and the fact that they only found his head to bury was extreemly upsetting for me. The story was written up in our Gazette and the mystery of the two missing helicopters and their pilots never was solved.

I wouldn't be surprised if Gerry was doing the flying. He loves the thrills! He can afford the ride so why not! He has a great life that he has earned with hard work & dedication.

:nervous: As long as he keeps it in the air....(the helicopter that is) and doesn't hit any live wires...more things to worry over...His mother must be happy to know he has let go of the motorcycle for a while though...on second thought; at least the two wheels are on the ground!

We all have to remember that Gerry is a risk taker, a bit of a dare devil and if he makes a miscalculation with one of his feats of daring, someone else always gets hurt instead! :rotflmao:

Delene

We all have to remember that Gerry is a risk taker, a bit of a dare devil and if he makes a miscalculation with one of his feats of daring, someone else always gets hurt instead! :rotflmao:

Delene

Hillary Swank can vouch for that I bet... :doh: "Ouch; where did that flying object come from?"

Delene

Hillary Swank can vouch for that I bet... :doh: "Ouch; where did that flying object come from?"

Yeah, and that was just a pair of wayward suspenders!

Delene

:nervous: As long as he keeps it in the air....(the helicopter that is) and doesn't hit any live wires...more things to worry over...His mother must be happy to know he has let go of the motorcycle for a while though...on second thought; at least the two wheels are on the ground!

I saw a picture about 2 weeks ago of him riding his motorcycle, I don't think he's let go of it.

Ren

He was taking flying lessons - helicopter - in LA it was reported. Probably taking plane flying lessons as well but maybe he thinks that is too tame for him.

Where is the 'worry' emoticon?

He was taking flying lessons - helicopter - in LA it was reported. Probably taking plane flying lessons as well but maybe he thinks that is too tame for him.

Where is the 'worry' emoticon?

:unsure::whome2::nervous:Just remember; there are more accidents on the ground....um wait a minute; there are more wheels on the road then planes in the air!

It does make me somewhat nervous that Gerry has taken to helicopters, not that I have a doubt in my mind that he can't fly one. But if it's any consolation, the hardest part of flying anything whether it's an airplane or a helicopter is the take off and landing part. I've done both and I actually land better then I take off. I can still hear my friends Dad yelling as we lifted up, "watch out for the G*&?da%^& trees! The trees!" :p

Delene

It does make me somewhat nervous that Gerry has taken to helicopters, not that I have a doubt in my mind that he can't fly one. But if it's any consolation, the hardest part of flying anything whether it's an airplane or a helicopter is the take off and landing part. I've done both and I actually land better then I take off. I can still hear my friends Dad yelling as we lifted up, "watch out for the G*&?da%^& trees! The trees!" :p

Delene

:pointy: Wow Delene; I am truly amazed to hear that. You are a gal with hidden talents; maybe someday if you see Gerry in person; you can share a few "flying" tips? Bravo...

Delene

:pointy: Wow Delene; I am truly amazed to hear that. You are a gal with hidden talents; maybe someday if you see Gerry in person; you can share a few "flying" tips? Bravo...

I'd like to give Gerry a few tips but none of them about flying! ;)

Delene

Delene

I'd like to give Gerry a few tips but none of them about flying! ;)

Delene

:funnyup:Wouldn't we all like to do that too; only thing is; he probably has way more experience in his short life than I have in mine. I'd be patient if he wanted to give me a tip or two; and listen to every word he had to say on any given topic.....sigh :wuv: