Gerard Butler GALS

Highlander Remake

GBPhanatic

For those of you who are fans of "Highlander", there's talk of a film remake. This is one of my favorite films of all time and I thought the music was wonderfully done by Queen. Here's a paragraph and links to some info. They've commissioned Melissa Rosenberg (Twilight) to pen the screenplay. Personally, it's going to take a lot to top the original.

It’s been years since we last heard about Summit’s planned remake of the 1986 cult classic Highlander, which starred Christopher Lambert and Sean Connery. At the time Justin Lin (Fast and Furious) was set to direct with Iron Man screenwriters Art Marcum and Matt Holloway working on the script. Well Lin is still attached but Summit must not have been happy with what Marcum and Holloway turned in because now they’re turned to their franchise maker, Melissa Rosenberg – who has written all of the Twilight screenplays – to rework the script. Read more after the jump.

http://www.slashfilm.com/twilight-scribe-melissa-rosenberg-writing-highlander-remake/

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/the-highlander-remake-is-slowly-morphing-into-twilight-23088.html

Delene

Edited by GBPhanatic

Oooh, I love Highlander, but I think it'd be a great candidate for a remake. The original was kind of a cult classic and not so well-known outside of certain circles.

In point of fact, I think Gerry would be an amazing choice for the lead! :D

Steph

I had a major thing for Christopher Lambert! He made a great Scotsman! But I think the lead character, Connor MacLeod, is in his twenties even though I don't think an age was really established since he was immortal anyway. Now perhaps Gerry could reprise the role played by Sean Connery, Juan Sanchez Villa-Lobos Ramirez. Or The Kurgan! Something so sexy about a man and his sword! :reddeath2::reddeath::sword::heat:

Delene

I've read many suggestions that Gerry would be great in a Highlander movie. I think Gerry would be

great in any movie, but, hey, what do I know?

I am not familiar with Highlander, someone give me a site to catch up, please.

Love him absolutely,

Sandy

I've read many suggestions that Gerry would be great in a Highlander movie. I think Gerry would be

great in any movie, but, hey, what do I know?

I am not familiar with Highlander, someone give me a site to catch up, please.

Love him absolutely,

Sandy

Sandy, rent the movie! You'll fall in love with it! Here's a couple of youtubes.

On second thought, why couldn't Gerry be the new Highlander?

Delene

Well, Christopher Lambert was certainly not 20 in that role!! Plus, I think aging the character up would be an easy thing to do... it didn't seem to be set in stone based on the story. Christopher Lambert was awesome (so hot!) in that role, although I found his accent comical. He was supposed to be a Scotsman?! Teehee.

I also found it so hilarious that the REAL Scotsman was playing an Italian.

I dunno... I just think Gerry would play the pained, desperate lead character better than the calmer, more centered mentor character. Gerry just does desperation so well.

Oh well... it's all conjecture anyway! I'll just have to cast Gerry as the Highlander in my dreams. :wuv:

Steph

Well, Christopher Lambert was certainly not 20 in that role!!

No, he was actually 29 in 1986 when it was filmed. That's why I said that perhaps they felt the character was in his twenties but if they've approached Kevin McKidd for the role, he's in his thirties so age isn't an issue and really I don't think it would be.

This would be a great role for Gerry.

I think Gerry would be great too, but I read an article that someone else had already been cast :-(

Here's the link:

http://m.stv.tv/news/scotland/highlands-islands/228368-blockbuster-film-highlander-set-for-a-remake/

Interesting. Dr. McBadArse, eh? Well seems this has been in the works since about August of 08 too and I tried to find something more recent on the project with regard to Kevin but on one of his fansites, it wasn't mentioned.

I do love the country up there around Inverness and Loch Ness! What a wonderful place to set the scene! I think Gerry would be a GREAT Connor MacLeod.

It will be hard enough to compete with the first one and the wonderful music of Queen unless they hire someone like Hans Zimmer to do the score.

I never saw the TV series. I wouldn't watch it because I hated that they took the film to TV.

Thanks for the link and info, Vero! If you hear anything else, let us know!

Delene

Edited by GBPhanatic

I don't know. I'm personally getting kinda tired of remakes. But I guess that's all Hollywood knows how to do anymore. I was a big fan of the Highlander movies and the series for a long time, and I can't see how they can improve on it except cramming it full of high tech special effects. Sigh*

I don't know. I'm personally getting kinda tired of remakes. But I guess that's all Hollywood knows how to do anymore. I was a big fan of the Highlander movies and the series for a long time, and I can't see how they can improve on it except cramming it full of high tech special effects. Sigh*

Coriolanus is a "remake" of sorts. Will you be seeing it?

Delene

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Christopher Lambert was certainly not 20 in that role!! Plus, I think aging the character up would be an easy thing to do... it didn't seem to be set in stone based on the story. Christopher Lambert was awesome (so hot!) in that role, although I found his accent comical. He was supposed to be a Scotsman?! Teehee.

I dunno... I just think Gerry would play the pained, desperate lead character better than the calmer, more centered mentor character. Gerry just does desperation so well.

Oh well... it's all conjecture anyway! I'll just have to cast Gerry as the Highlander in my dreams. :wuv:

Steph

I loved that Sean Connery was the real highlander but was actually supposed to be spanish ( not Italian) Connor always called him a Spanish peacock. lol One of the few movies I loved that I also loved the series that came from it. Would LOVE to see GB attached to this, but more as the mentor. Sorry but he is not a young man anymore and the Highlander was a mid 20s guy. I'm sure many will argue that Gerry can do anything, but I'd rather see him do things that fit him instead of 'anything'. He's better than that.

Steph

I loved that Sean Connery was the real highlander but was actually supposed to be spanish ( not Italian) Connor always called him a Spanish peacock. lol One of the few movies I loved that I also loved the series that came from it. Would LOVE to see GB attached to this, but more as the mentor. Sorry but he is not a young man anymore and the Highlander was a mid 20s guy. I'm sure many will argue that Gerry can do anything, but I'd rather see him do things that fit him instead of 'anything'. He's better than that.

I so totally agree with you about doing things that fit your age. On this, Gerry's age seems to fall somewhere between that of MacLeod and Juan Sanchez I believe. Connery was probably in his fifties or sixties when he played the mentor role. Christopher Lambert was almost thirty and he did the following sequels during his thirties I believe. I don't think it's an important feature that the MacLeod is necessarily a young man but Gerry could play the role I believe as MacLeod is an immortal character anyway. But I do agree that nothing will "age" an actor faster then playing one that is too young of a character. It's the same thing when someone tries to dress too young to look younger. I believe there's nothing wrong with being young at heart but always acting your age.

Delene

• 4 weeks later...

Oh I'm all over this!

At first, as a huge Highlander fan(the movies not the series wouldn't watch because you don't mess with Highlander) I was all set to post NO NO NO! Don't mess with Highlander. That was until the post about Gerard playing the part of Connor. I actually squealed! Loud enough to wake my youngest. I would absolutely adore Gerard as Connor. I could just imagine him with the sword and the "There can be only one" Oh my goodness I've gotten chills! Posted Image

Someone please cast Gerard as Connor!!!!!!

LOL! I haven't a clue but if you find it be sure to show me the way!

Highlander was one of the most visually appealing movies of its time and it could only be made better with the addition of Gerard as Connor..at least IMHO

It was one of my favorite movies too and while Christophe Lambert was good, and I felt oddly drawn to him, Gerry would blow this film out of the water!!

If I find it, you'll be the first to know ;-) î…î˜

Veronica

Oh yes please do! He really would! Can you just imagine Gerard in that costume? I wonder if he'd have to have the longer hair...Not that I don't like the short hair because I really do... But the long hair was just Posted Image

Let's keep our fingers crossed that the new Highlander movie starring Gerard comes to fruitionPosted Image

• 3 months later...

For those of you who are fans of "Highlander", there's talk of a film remake. This is one of my favorite films of all time and I thought the music was wonderfully done by Queen. Here's a paragraph and links to some info. They've commissioned Melissa Rosenberg (Twilight) to pen the screenplay. Personally, it's going to take a lot to top the original.

It’s been years since we last heard about Summit’s planned remake of the 1986 cult classic Highlander, which starred Christopher Lambert and Sean Connery. At the time Justin Lin (Fast and Furious) was set to direct with Iron Man screenwriters Art Marcum and Matt Holloway working on the script. Well Lin is still attached but Summit must not have been happy with what Marcum and Holloway turned in because now they’re turned to their franchise maker, Melissa Rosenberg – who has written all of the Twilight screenplays – to rework the script. Read more after the jump.

http://www.slashfilm.com/twilight-scribe-melissa-rosenberg-writing-highlander-remake/

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/the-highlander-remake-is-slowly-morphing-into-twilight-23088.html

Delene

I left my comment for the first link and added it to my facebook page. If anyone is interested in starting a petition; try "petition.com" and start one for free...There are other ones out there but when I went to sign the petition; they were trying to ask me to donate to do so!

Edited by may