Gerard Butler GALS

Casting News!

Looks like the Italian news was right last week:

Exclusive: Uma Thurman and Jessica Biel have signed on to join Gerard Butler in Nu Image/Millennium Films' soccer comedy "Playing the Field."Gabriele Muccino is directing from a script by Robbie Fox ("So I Married An Axe Murderer").

Butler stars as a former pro soccer player who finds himself dodging romantic advances from soccer moms after he agrees to coach his son's youth team in an attempt to bond with the boy.

Biel will play Butler's ex-wife who is engaged to be re-married, while Thurman will play a fellow parent who sets out to seduce the coach.

Butler is producing with his Evil Twins partner Alan Siegel, as well as Jonathan Mostow, Kevin Misher and Heidi Jo Markel. Nu Image/Millennium's Avi Lerner, Danny Dimbort and Trevor Short are exec producing the pic, which is scheduled to start production next month.

Thurman next stars in Max Winkler's "Ceremony" and will soon be seen as Lois Lane in the comedy omnibus "Movie 43."

Biel was recently cast in New Line's rom-com "New Year's Eve." Thesp has Pascal Laugier's thriller "The Tall Man" and David O. Russell's long-delayed comedy "Nailed" awaiting release.

CAA reps both Thurman and Biel, who are also repped by Untitled Entertainment and Management 360, respectively.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118032694

I am pretty okay with this casting! I'm not an Uma Thurman fan, but I do love Jessica Biel! :)

Lisa

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is great casting! Uma is perfect as the "bad girl" and Jessica is actually a decent actress with very little gossip attached to her (unlike some actresses we know.) Look forward to further developments!

GO GERRY!

I think this is great casting! Uma is perfect as the "bad girl" and Jessica is actually a decent actress with very little gossip attached to her (unlike some actresses we know.) Look forward to further developments!

GO GERRY!

I'm making a headline prediction now: "Justin Timberlake Jealous of Gerard Butler" or "Jessica Biel Leaving Justin Timberlake for a Real Man" :lmao: I'm predicting many set visits from Mr. N'Sync.

She'll be 29 and I really think she can play older. I don't see a problem. I can see Uma really playing it up as the "cougar" after Gerry's character (what was his name? We had it and now I forgot already).

I'm pretty confident Jessica can pull this off. I think she's a very good actress, and hopefully this will help her career a bit.

Jessica is also involved with Kids Kicking Cancer: http://www.cambio.com/shows/cambio-cares/cambio-cares-gerard-butler-jessica-biel-and-friends-help-kids-kick-cancer?a_dgi=aolshare_facebook

Edited by phoenixgirl

29-30 is not too young for a 41 year old man, my hubby is 11 years older than me. I believe Jessica could easily come across as 35-37. I think she has a quiet dignity and beauty, different from other Hollywood actresses. I can't wait to see if they have chemistry on screen.

Edited by Swansong

29-30 is not too young for a 41 year old man, my hubby is 11 years older than me. I believe Jessica could easily come across as 35-37. I think she has a quiet dignity and beauty, different from other Hollywood actresses. I can't wait to see if they have chemistry on screen.

Totally agree. :) And I think they will. She is very sexy, like you said, in a quiet way and I really think they'll be good together on-screen.

She'll be 29 and I really think she can play older. I don't see a problem. I can see Uma really playing it up as the "cougar" after Gerry's character (what was his name? We had it and now I forgot already).

I hardly think that a woman who is slightly younger then Gerry could be considered a "cougar". A Cougar, to my understanding, is a woman who prefers and pursues much younger males. Uma was born in 1970. That would make her younger then Gerry.

Delene

Totally agree. :) And I think they will. She is very sexy, like you said, in a quiet way and I really think they'll be good together on-screen.

I think they are pushing the limits with the age gap here though and the reason I say this is because a much younger actress can make the actor look much older too. If they are going to make Gerry's character a bit younger to close the gap, then bye bye salt and pepper and hello Just For Men!

Delene

I think this is great news! I like both Jessica & Uma......& Justin Timberlake.

I don't see any problem w/ Jessica's age & agree she can play older. I also don't believe that Uma's character is supposed to be a cougar, just another parent. At least, that's my impression.

I'm very happy with this announcement.

Ren

I think this is great news! I like both Jessica & Uma......& Justin Timberlake.

I don't see any problem w/ Jessica's age & agree she can play older. I also don't believe that Uma's character is supposed to be a cougar, just another parent. At least, that's my impression.

I'm very happy with this announcement.

Ren

Agreed. I got the word "cougar" from another article reporting it and for some bizarre reason, it stuck in my head. Scratch it from everything.

I can't say I'm 100% happy with these choices. Jessica Biel is an OK actress and I don't care for Uma Thurman at all. Someone said if UT is involved it will probably go straight to DVD. Gerry has been associated with Jessica through KKC and they probably know one another pretty well. I think those ladies should be thrilled they are going to be in a movie with Gerry!Posted Image

I still say Sandra Bullock should play the ex!! She is more of a soccer Mom type but hey....it's not my movie!! :unsure: Besides she is definitely a box office draw!

:wave: Frannie

oh, I agree....Sandra Bullock is a far superior actress. I was going to hold my tongue, but honestly, I think Jessica Biel is a mediocre actress at best. I cannot recall a single film that I actually liked her in, but that's just my opinion.

Edited by AngelofMusic

I think we may have to recognize that while we are huge Gerry fans and follow his every move, he may not yet have broken through to the status of working with someone like Sandra Bullock. I'm kind of glad that his leading lady is not going to steal his limelight. Jessica is lesser known, but she might surprise us all and turn in a great performance.

Also, as this is an Evil Twins production, they may not yet be able to afford an A-lister like Sandra.

It does sound like this will be Gerry's film, however, my guess is that if the child chosen to play the son is good, then Gerry just might be upstaged by a 10-11 year old!

Edited by Swansong

I think we may have to recognize that while we are huge Gerry fans and follow his every move, he may not yet have broken through to the status of working with someone like Sandra Bullock.

And I do not believe Sandra Bullock is the quality of actress as Jodie Foster, Hilary Swank, Emily Mortimer, Vanessa Redgrave.....

I guess we all have our opinions.

Yes, they were all big name actresses that Gerry has worked with before...he referred to them as Oscar winning stars. I don't think Sandra Bullock would be out of the realm.

Evidently the boy (Noah) who has been chosen can play ages from between 5 and 9, so I imagine the boy will be a bit younger...having had 2 grandsons who played soccer, the games at that age are not great. They're still learning...

Posted Image

I don't think A-list implies the most talent. I think it means who is the most popular at the moment. Sandra Bullock is currently "America's Sweetheart," and I just don't think Evil Twins can afford her paycheck. True, Gerry has appeared on film with several notable actresses, but those were not Evil Twins projects.

I was disappointed that they chose to do little league soccer. I was hoping for more of a "mentor" type situation with a teen soccer player who was showing promise and the old father like son scenario. But Gerry's got another "mentor" movie on the horizon now anyway.

As for the actresses, Gerry has played with some big names true, but whether or not ET can afford someone like Sandra Bullock might be the issue here. Gerry would have to take a cut in pay himself perhaps, as he says. But sometimes having heavy hitters like Bullock or Roberts in a movie like this may end up not making as much money at the box office to offset their high dollar salaries. And for all we know, other actresses may have been approached and declined.

Can you imagine the likes of Sandy Bullock as the Mom and Angelina Jolie as the temptress? OMG! Now that would be an interesting combo! But I'm afraid their salaries would have taken Evil Twins down to one twin in one felled swoop! :drink::rotflmao:

Delene

I have to say that I would have hated it if SB was cast in this. She's cute, not sexy and this isn't a "cute" movie. And not everything she does is golden (didjya not see the second Miss Congeniality or that one with Bradley Cooper?). I think what makes a movie is the script and execution of it, not the people in it. Jodie Foster has made some duds, has has EVERY actor, Gerry included.

Here's a blogger's take on it, and her final paragraph is, I believe, discussion worthy. Oh by the way, Jessica Biel is crazy hot, and I think I do mean that IATLW. :lmao:

http://www.chud.com/38957/gerard-butler-uma-thurman-and-jessica-biel-sign-for-one-movie-and-a-thousand-tabloid-pages/?utm_source=C.H.U.D.&utm_medium=twitter

To me they should do the opposite: it should be Thurman's ex-wife.

I do not like Muccino (Gerry would look at everything :wuv: ), but with a cast so the movie becomes more intriguing.

Edited by Min@