Gerard Butler GALS

Casting News!

Weird. It worked earlier, but then when I tried chud.com it didn't work either so not sure if it's the site or not right now. Here's the article:

See? My excerpt didn’t lie. There she is. She wants you to read this. And girls / gay men, I didn’t forget you. I know I didn’t have to lure you in (we all kind of want to read about Gerard Butler on some level), so look for your skin pic at the bottom.

Despite all the promise of Mavericks, I knew Gerard Butler had another awkward rom-com up his sleeve. I knew it was called Playing the Field. I just kind of hoped hey, if I don’t report it, he’ll keep surfing. He’ll have to. You have to have a lot of training to play a convincing surf mentor.

I was wrong. Variety reports that Playing the Field has what it needs to go ahead: Ladies. Uma Thurman and Jessica Biel, respectively.

Playing the Field has Butler playing a former pro soccer player who agrees to coach his son’s youth team in an effort to reconnect with his kid and ex-wife. But oh no! All the soccer moms saw 300 and want that well-chiseled butt in their beds, so his plans get all crazy and complicated. What is a studly Scotsman to do, anyway?

Biel will play his ex-wife, and Thurman will play a fellow parent. I think that translates to “lusty single mom”, actually. Gabriele Muccino is directing. There will be a thousand stories speculating Butler, Biel, or Thurman have hooked up, possibly in one giant three-way, and it will be ten times more eye-rolling than all that giggly gossip of The Bounty Hunter.

I’m honestly not sure if this is Butler glibly poking fun at his Don Juan persona, or completely buying into it. The fact that he’s also the film’s producer does nothing to clear up that mystery. Oh, Butler. I miss the old you that played broken men in things like The Jury and Dear Frankie, and not the 21st century Warren Beatty.

Still, I guess you can’t blame him. He looks good.

The photos are one very sexy one of Jessica, and Gerry walking in Hawaii without a shirt - we all know which pic. LOL

Oh, the initials: In A Totally Lesbian Way - most people use NOT in front of it. :p

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I'm hoping for is more of a Dear Frankie-esque story. It doesn't really sound like the typical romantic comedy set up. Sure there will be comedy, but I personally hope it deals more with the estranged dad and the son. I also hope that Gerry plays this one straight, and not the same lovable scoundrel we've seen in TUT and TBH. Maybe a cross between The Stranger, Gerry Kennedy and Andre Marek! Yeah, that's it!

Robbie Fox, the screenwriter also wrote So I Married An Axe Murderer, so I'm expecting a great script.

Lisa, I saw that post this morning before I left for work. If I'm not mistaken, it was written by Elisabeth Rappe. I think it's pretty well-known that she has a "fondness" for Gerry.....& pugs. I think he gets extra points for having Lolita. :)

Bren

Since when is Uma not an A-list actress? Sure she left the profession for a while to raise the kids but all I know is when I tell my hubby that Uma is going to be chasing Gerry all over the screen and Jessica will be keeping the home fire burning he will want to sit in front row seats, in 3D, and IMAX.

:cunning:

And I really think Michelle Monaghan is a first rate actress as well. I am looking forward to MGP...and Sandra Bullock is terrific as well. I guess I just don't like to pidgeonhole actresses by their current popularity as to whether they are worthy or not.

I think we may have to recognize that while we are huge Gerry fans and follow his every move, he may not yet have broken through to the status of working with someone like Sandra Bullock.

And I do not believe Sandra Bullock is the quality of actress as Jodie Foster, Hilary Swank, Emily Mortimer, Vanessa Redgrave.....

I guess we all have our opinions.

Hello!

:wave:

Sorry, jumping into the chat here!

Gotta agree with you here. Hilary Swank is a truly amazing actress. Vannessa Redgrave too!! And Jodie Foster, well what can you say!!!

Sandra Bullock may be at the front of everyones minds right now as she the fresh oscar winner, but these guys have proven themselves for years now!! They are SB's equals - at the VERY least surely!

IMO :tens:

I think we may have to recognize that while we are huge Gerry fans and follow his every move, he may not yet have broken through to the status of working with someone like Sandra Bullock.

And I do not believe Sandra Bullock is the quality of actress as Jodie Foster, Hilary Swank, Emily Mortimer, Vanessa Redgrave.....

I guess we all have our opinions.

Hello!

:wave:

Sorry, jumping into the chat here!

Gotta agree with you here. Hilary Swank is a truly amazing actress. Vannessa Redgrave too!! And Jodie Foster, well what can you say!!!

Sandra Bullock may be at the front of everyones minds right now as she the fresh oscar winner, but these guys have proven themselves for years now!! They are SB's equals - at the VERY least surely!

IMO :tens:

Hey! Great to see you posting! Don't apologize; everyone is welcome and everyone's opinions are important! Thanks for contributing. :)

And you're right - they have proven themselves for years. I think what we want to see from Gerry takes more time than many of us want to wait LOL

I think the majority of the problem is that the industry is in crisis. They are having to adjust to everything from the new digital age to studio shareholders wanting rock solid returns on their investments.

Most of the old studios in the UK folded leaving individual Directors and Producers to somehow keep going. Add to this the expansion (UK) of the acting schools offering courses from around 6 in the late 1960's to approx 30 today and you have a massive expansion of trained actors entering a career more unstable than ever.

I think if you look at most actors careers you will not only see the creative highs but the bog standard lows. The plethera of sub standard Rom/Coms are made simply because they rarely loose money.

I genuinely beleive that the likes of Dear Frankie and One More Kiss would not get the funding these days. Look a the funding problems Burns has suffered over the years.

J

What I'm hoping for is more of a Dear Frankie-esque story. It doesn't really sound like the typical romantic comedy set up. Sure there will be comedy, but I personally hope it deals more with the estranged dad and the son. I also hope that Gerry plays this one straight, and not the same lovable scoundrel we've seen in TUT and TBH. Maybe a cross between The Stranger, Gerry Kennedy and Andre Marek! Yeah, that's it!

Oh wow! What a great combo! :cunning:

• 2 weeks later...

I hate to say this because it's bound to start a "firestorm", but it always bothers me that every news item about Gerry engenders a discussion that isn't always positive toward him. Maybe I'm just overly protective of "our boy", but sometimes I wish before we post we would all assume he will read our every word and edit accordingly.

I will say in advance that if I have offended anyone, I apologize.

Love,

Buff

some of us are bound to disagree on things....I personally am not crazy about the casting of these two actresses. I'm not a fan of Biel or Thurman, and I'm honestly not all that excited about this project. Maybe I am mistaken, but I thought the whole point of a discussion board was that we all as Gerry's fans could voice our opinions about his projects and the like, freely...

I hate to say this because it's bound to start a "firestorm", but it always bothers me that every news item about Gerry engenders a discussion that isn't always positive toward him. Maybe I'm just overly protective of "our boy", but sometimes I wish before we post we would all assume he will read our every word and edit accordingly.

I will say in advance that if I have offended anyone, I apologize.

Love,

Buff

None taken, if my post inspired your comment. I get where you're coming from but I feel that Gerry, of all people, would appreciate honesty more then a sugar coated agreement with all of his choices, actions, etc., if it's done tactfully, with love and with his best interest in mind. Where I have the problem is when so called "fans" bring to light the negative things that other people say about him and even go so far as to agree with them. I question if they're really fans. To me, that serves no purpose and reminds me of the saying, "the more you stir shite, the worse it stinks".

some of us are bound to disagree on things....I personally am not crazy about the casting of these two actresses. I'm not a fan of Biel or Thurman, and I'm honestly not all that excited about this project. Maybe I am mistaken, but I thought the whole point of a discussion board was that we all as Gerry's fans could voice our opinions about his projects and the like, freely...

Absolutely! It would be a dull world, indeed, if we all agreed on everything even where Gerry's concerned or believed everything he did was perfect. I think it's always better for any kind of support group to have a diversity of viewpoints.

I've not seen Uma in anything but she seems to have a cold intensity about her, a fire and ice persona, which makes her a good seductress. I've seen JB in two movies, Stealth and The A-Team, I believe, where she makes a decent "woman keeping up in a man's world" character, if memory serves. I'm too lazy to look it up.

I'm excited to see Gerry play a character that seems parallel to his alleged real life persona of the consummate lady's man (the man can't help it if woman are just naturally attracted to him). It will be interesting to see if his character can morph in to the responsible father figure and help mate for the sake of true love and how difficult the transition can be! In keeping with his word of choosing roles that he can identify with, it will also be interesting to see the message and moral of the story this one promotes, if there is one to be had! ;)

Delene

Edited by GBPhanatic

None taken, if my post inspired your comment. I get where you're coming from but I feel that Gerry, of all people, would appreciate honesty more then a sugar coated agreement with all of his choices, actions, etc., if it's done tactfully, with love and with his best interest in mind. Where I have the problem is when so called "fans" bring to light the negative things that other people say about him and even go so far as to agree with them. I question if they're really fans. To me, that serves no purpose and reminds me of the saying, "the more you stir shite, the worse it stinks".

I have to agree with you, Delene (don't fall over). I think there's a difference between being constantly negative and being honest about not liking something. I think the board would be VERY boring if everyone threw flowers at Gerry's feet about every little thing he does. He's human, not a god. There's no backlash for not agreeing with decisions, and it doesn't make anyone any more or less of a fan if there are different opinions. I don't kiss arse at my job; why would I do it here or to Gerry? :lol: He sure as hell doesn't! LOL

As I said, I'm happy about the casting of Jessica, but not Uma. I just don't like her, but I have to trust that Gerry knows what he's doing, whether I like it or not.

Lisa

Question about casting here. Isn't there a casting director/coordinator or such that has the job of selecting, lining up, etc., supporting cast in a film? Then the final decision on that selection is based on their auditions and the producers of the film? I'm sure the producers and makers of the film have an idea of who they want or the kind of actors they're looking for but I was just curious about the process, if anyone knows.

Delene

I have to agree with you, Delene (don't fall over). I think there's a difference between being constantly negative and being honest about not liking something. I think the board would be VERY boring if everyone threw flowers at Gerry's feet about every little thing he does. He's human, not a god. There's no backlash for not agreeing with decisions, and it doesn't make anyone any more or less of a fan if there are different opinions. I don't kiss arse at my job; why would I do it here or to Gerry? :lol: He sure as hell doesn't! LOL

As I said, I'm happy about the casting of Jessica, but not Uma. I just don't like her, but I have to trust that Gerry knows what he's doing, whether I like it or not.

Lisa

I agree with both of you...I'm neutral about both Jessica Biel(I was hoping for Ashley Judd or Rachel McAdams or Amy Adams) playing his ex. One of the reasons I love this forum is we all seem to respect each other's different opinions over any aspect involving Gerry's life. I stopped visiting my favorite band's site forum because too many members were acting like high schoolers. They would argue over their level of fandom based on how many times they've met various members, how much they've spent on merchandise and tickets, etc. It's fooking ridiculous. I'm glad GALS aren't like that.

Sorry Girlies!! :wave:

My comments were not prompted by the posts on this thread alone. Maybe I was in a bad mood when I wrote it :bonk: but sometimes it just seems like we pick apart everything to do with Gerry and it doesn't always sound as if we truly love him. :wuv: Maybe I'm a weirdo, but although I'm not in agreement with some things, since I can't change anything to do with him, I just don't think we accomplish anything by filling pages with posts about things he can't do, things he's done wrong, things we wish he would do, ways we wish he would change, etc.

I don't have a problem with differing opinions at all. :D I just don't think we always "speak the truth in love".

Once again, I'm sorry if I offended anyone; I was certainly not espousing the idea that we should "throw flowers at Gerry's feet", but I just don't always think our tone indicates how much we all love him (at least I know I do).

:kiss:

Buff

Buff, I don't think you offended anyone, and I totally respect your opinon. :) But not everyone is going to agree with everything posted here. I think "tone" isn't something that comes across very well in emails, posts, etc. You can't hear tone of voice so maybe something that struck you as not said with love actually was. I still see nothing wrong with being honest and stating if we don't like something. I love my sons more than anything in the world, but I'll be the first one to tell them they did something stupid - always said with love, of course. :lol:

And you're not weird but if it's not your thing to not say anything then you are free not to, just as others are free to say whatever they feel, within the guidelines of the board. Everyone loves differently, and everyone shows it differently. I don't think it's fair to criticize others for stating their honest opinions about Gerry or his choices.

I would liken this to reading the things said at Just Jared. I never read it because it's all negative garbage, and thank God that's not tolerated here. But I really don't see where anyone has said anything that bad, and so long as it's all within the guidelines I'd rather people share their honest feelings. Again, we don't know everyone's "tone" or where they're coming from. We just have to accept things at face value on the boards because that's all we have to go by. You may not read the love in some posts, but some of us do. :) And really, it doesn't matter. For me, as long I worry about my own posts I don't have to get upset about anyone else's. :) Took me a LONG TIME to learn that lesson! LOL

:hug1: Buff - Love you!

Lisa

Edited by phoenixgirl

Question about casting here. Isn't there a casting director/coordinator or such that has the job of selecting, lining up, etc., supporting cast in a film? Then the final decision on that selection is based on their auditions and the producers of the film? I'm sure the producers and makers of the film have an idea of who they want or the kind of actors they're looking for but I was just curious about the process, if anyone knows.

Delene

Since Gerry is producing this film I'm sure he had a lot of say as to who would play the parts. He probably has

the final word on actresses and actors, so I think we should trust his intellect on this one. We all know that

Gerry chooses his parts because he likes the script, he probably chooses his co-stars because he believes

they will fit into the project and support the script. Gerry is proving to have quite a knack for producing, I

believe he did a marvelous job on LAC, and I trust his instincts on this project as well.

I also believe that Gerry has the "funds" to produce through Et and that salaries probably don't weight into

this project as much as availability and choice does. Gerry will choose his actresses according to his

instinct and his experience. I trust his ability as producer and his intelligence, which is a known given, and

his choices because of his experience.

Besides, we have to remember that it is "his choice" and his project. He works hard and I believe he wants

this project to be successful and to entertain the fans. He is spreading his wings, producing wise, and I

believe he will be magnificent in his role as producer, once again.

Love him absolutely,

Sandy

Sorry Girlies!! :wave:

My comments were not prompted by the posts on this thread alone. Maybe I was in a bad mood when I wrote it :bonk: but sometimes it just seems like we pick apart everything to do with Gerry and it doesn't always sound as if we truly love him. :wuv: Maybe I'm a weirdo, but although I'm not in agreement with some things, since I can't change anything to do with him, I just don't think we accomplish anything by filling pages with posts about things he can't do, things he's done wrong, things we wish he would do, ways we wish he would change, etc.

I don't have a problem with differing opinions at all. :D I just don't think we always "speak the truth in love".

Once again, I'm sorry if I offended anyone; I was certainly not espousing the idea that we should "throw flowers at Gerry's feet", but I just don't always think our tone indicates how much we all love him (at least I know I do).

:kiss:

Buff

Buff, I totally agree with you. I don't think anyone has the right to criticize Gerry on this or any fan site,

I do, however, agree that everyone has the right to their own opinion regarding someone they love and

respect. As long as the fans here, or anywhere anyone proposes to be a true fan, respect that Gerry is

a human being with the right to make his own choices in life and his career, they still have right to question

those decisions as far as their knowledge and intelligence allows them to.

I think that we all have to understand that Gerry is in "his business" and probably has more insight into

"his business" than anyone here does. He sees the trends in the movie industry because that is "his business."

He knows the inner workings of the industry at the present moment, more so than any of us here.

We should respect that Gerry is the one making a good living at doing what he does. He is the one who

makes all the personal sacrafices for his career, and he is the one who has to live his life according to his

decisions, just as we have to live our lives according to our personal decisions regarding our lives and careers.

We should all respect that Gerry knows his business inside and out, and thus far has managed to participate

in projects that have kept our attention and our fandom for him going to quite a few years. I, personally,

think he is doing a wonderful job of managing his life and his career. He just gets more and more popular

in his career, so he must be doing something right.

We all know he is super intelligent, after all, he has a degree in law. That takes a lot of intelligence.

We are lucky that he chooses to use his intelligence to be an entertainer and keep us entertained. He has

never disappointed me in his acting. We have to remember that he may not always have had a choice in

his roles; when you begin in this career you take what you are given and do the best that you can, hoping

that someone will see your potential. Well, obviously, someone did. He has worked very hard to get to

the place he is now, so that he does have some choice in his roles, but just as in any career, you have to

go with the flow. You still must keep your eye on the bottom line. You must be financially successful as

well a appreciated by the fans. So, let's give the man a little credit for understanding his business.

We know he loves his fans and wants to please them, but he also has to play the game, just like everyone

else in whatever business they are in. He's one smart cookie, and we have to understand his predicament.

I, personally, appreciate all of his hard work, all of his intelligence, and all of his dedication to his craft. Whatever

the role, he is always best in it. I can't see anyone else being better in any role I have been so fortunate to

see him take on. I love his talent, his intelligence, and his sweet spirit.

Love him absolutely,

Sandy

Buffy and Sandy, I so agree with both of you.

Gerry is extremely intelligent. He loves what he does and he knows the business. He's earned the position he's in and he makes choices based on his knowledge and instinct. I may not love every film he's made, but, as Sandy said, I have never been disappointed in his performance in any film. I will add to the fact that he is well educated, that he also is a natural as an actor and an entertainer. He was born to do what he does, and he loves what he does, and his performances are evidence of that.

While we certainly all have the right to our own opinions, and while we all know we won't agree from time to time or person to person, we need to remember that we need to respect not only Gerry, but one another as he would hope we would do...without personal attacks and remembering to consider that what we each put out there on these threads is the same as saying that very thing to the person we are commenting on face to face, be it actors, actresses, directors, one another.

Gals often is an escape for me. I have learned from it. I have met incredible people because of it. I, like most I'm sure, have a very full, very busy life, and choose how I spend my time carefully. Did I ever suspect I'd be a "fan" of someone enough to be on a fan site? Oh no. So spending time here is a luxury that I afford myself. In my humble estimation, the world is a more interesting world because Gerard Butler does what he loves and does best. And Gals is an island in a world of too many unpleasant things and too much to do that isn't "fun."

I am glad I found my way to this "escape," to GJB's career, and to a group that shares my appreciation of what he offers the world in film and as a generous humanitarian.

L.

Edited by lovetheeloquence

I think the draw of Uma to the project has to do with her abilities as an actress - which I happen to like because of their variety (thinking Pulp Fiction, The Avengers, Batman and Robin, Be Cool, etc.) and the fact that there is a Kill Bill 3 in the works. She is an actress that likes variety in the roles she plays and that sounds like someone Gerry could relate to. She worked with Gerry on Movie 43 which may have bearing on the selections.

And Uma is the only one who knows about what it is like to be a parent!

And some are already assuming that Uma is going to be the seductress...perhaps not...

Edited by Lady Ski Bum