Gerard Butler GALS

I remember Emmy talking about playing a twenty year old. Even though it may have been perfectly normal for much older men to prey on teenage girls back in the eighteen hundreds, I'm doubting ALW would have carried through with that. I think the novel, in translation, suggest Christine is 20 with the heart of a 15 year old and that led to some confusion so why would ALW make her younger? I'm sure there are many interpretations of all the different adaptations of it.

Here's a direct quote on the ages of the characters from the Phantom of The Opera website.

In the novel Christine is about 20, Raoul is 20 or 21, and Erik is 50 to 60 years old.

Although Erik's age isn't given precisely, the background and historical references Leroux gives us enables us to work out that he must be 50, or older.

Similarly Christine's age is not quoted directly, but we are able to work it out from the information Leroux gives us about her childhood friendship with Raoul, and most clearly from her recent graduation from the Paris conservatory.

Confusion has been spread on this topic as in the translation of Leroux's novel by Jean-Marc and Randy Lofficier, there is a passage which reads "Every Opera aficionado knew that the 17-year-old singer's heart had remained pure". However, this is a mistranslation. The French passage reads "Aucun des amis de l'Opéra n'ignorait que le coeur de Christine était resté pur comme à quinze ans..." - "Christine's heart remained as pure as a 15 year old's".

The stage musical does not tell us the ages of the characters, but Christine is clearly a young woman (not a teenager), and Raoul a young man. Michael Crawford was 44 when he created the role of the Phantom on the West End. Stage Phantoms have been as old as 63 and as young as 24.

In the movie, they wanted a "young and sexy" cast, so Emmy Rossum was 16 or 17, and Gerard Butler in his mid-thirties.

This last part doesn't suggest that these are the ages they played but their actual ages.

Delene

Edited by GBPhanatic
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Friends and I were there the same night as Gerry, March the 9th, there were no press reports that he disliked the show, we certainly loved the show and have been eight times since.

In fact we are due to go again in August...same week as we see David Tennant on stage.

Anna X

I was surprised to see that there was little to no press on Gerry's attending on opening night for LND's..and they should have interviewed him on his comparisons! :unsure:

I think we have some pics in the gallery of him attending or maybe there was a short video but if memory serves me, he said that he attended because a friend wanted to go, or something to that affect. I took it to be, perhaps, a date night. I think to a premiere night, however, it's my invitation only so I'm sure he was on the invitee list as a previous Phantom.

Delene

Hey Erik; how's the weather in your part of the world? Nice to hear from you; all be it RARELY Lol...Age is only a number; of course we ALL say that once we reach a "certain" era...but yours transcends time so vastly that we mortals can hardly compare...Kind of reminds me of another personality we all know and love :drac: ...no?
:detect:This saga grows with the years as does the rumours. Some have Erik around his late 40's early 50...while others say that he was mid to late 30's to early 40. For me; he is timeless; as is this multi faceted epic. Andrew found the perfect title for his sequel because "Love Never Dies" nor does the Phantom..in the hearts of all his fans.

*Tips hat to Maestro* Nice to see you here Maestro. Please visit us again...

Maestro Erik...I think you will find that the ladies here are very welcoming. Many of us have had a fascination for you and your story for a very long time, and some of us have taken that fascination to unexpected places.

Swannie

:detect:This saga grows with the years as does the rumours. Some have Erik around his late 40's early 50...while others say that he was mid to late 30's to early 40. For me; he is timeless; as is this multi faceted epic. Andrew found the perfect title for his sequel because "Love Never Dies" nor does the Phantom..in the hearts of all his fans.

Bonjour Madame May,

Love can die, but this is another topic....

As for the other things... I agree. But if you would ask me I would tell you, that I am in my mid 20's for a long while *smirks*. Of course you have to note that mid 20's where rather old in the time where I am from. *thinks* Wasn't it Einstein who said something about relative ?

Erik.

Theory of Relativity The Basics

Physicists usually dichotomize the Theory of Relativity into two parts.

The first is the Special Theory of Relativity, which essentially deals with the question of whether rest and motion are relative or absolute, and with the consequences of Einsteins conjecture that they are relative.

The second is the General Theory of Relativity, which primarily applies to particles as they accelerate, particularly due to gravitation, and acts as a radical revision of Newtons theory, predicting important new results for fast-moving and/or very massive bodies. The General Theory of Relativity correctly reproduces all validated predictions of Newtons theory, but expands on our understanding of some of the key principles. Newtonian physics had previously hypothesized that gravity operated through empty space, but the theory lacked explanatory power as far as how the distance and mass of a given object could be transmitted through space. General relativity irons out this paradox, for it shows that objects continue to move in a straight line in space-time, but we observe the motion as acceleration because of the curved nature of space-time.

:detect:

But if you would ask me I would tell you, that I am in my mid 20's for a long while *smirks*.

:detect:Dear Maestro; you speak of Einstein ;for one of such "tender" age (mid 20's);you appear to be a young man well beyond the everyday Gents of this era...Intriguing...indeed!

*Tips hat to Maestro* Nice to see you here Maestro. Please visit us again...

Bonjour,

alors... if people want to see me here, I guess I will visit from time to time.

Erik.

Edited by may

Bonsoir May,

let my clarify: I am much older than 20's but I am in my 20's since many centuries. Like some human woman who tell others her age would be 40 the last 20 years. *smirks*

Erik.

:detect:You are quite the sly fox Maestro; I will give you that Lol....Do I detect a bit of an accent...perhaps Russian? *smirks* By the way; this "woman" has always admitted to her REAL age; in fact she is proud to after all; she's worked hard to stay fit for every one of those years!

Bonsoir May,

let my clarify: I am much older than 20's but I am in my 20's since many centuries. Like some human woman who tell others her age would be 40 the last 20 years. *smirks*

Erik.

:detect:You are quite the sly fox Maestro; I will give you that Lol....Do I detect a bit of an accent...perhaps Russian? *smirks* By the way; this "woman" has always admitted to her REAL age; in fact she is proud to after all; she's worked hard to stay fit for every one of those years!

Well I, too, am much older then my 20's but when I was 20 I thought I was thirty, so when I hit thirty, I went back to 20 for a while then I aged another ten years, stopped there for another decade. But all good things must end so I jumped another decade and then went in to my thirties, again, then went up a couple more decades for which I woke up and said, "when the hell did this happen?" so after seeing the man of my dreams, who is in his forties, but at the time actually in his thirties and not wanting to seem like a Cougar, even though he's unattainable anyway, I decided I'd jump back one decade and that he, seeming to be such an old soul in a hot younger body, I added a decade to him but he took three decades off himself so I removed three off of myself which makes us..........the same age! :funnyup: So there! :funnyface: That's my story and I'm sticking too it!

Delene

Hhahahahahahah! Delene, that is f-n brilliant!

Mercy buckets, Swannie. I'm a strong believer in using whatever formula it takes to get you though the day! ;)

Delene

Bonsoir May,

Erik.

Well I, too, am much older then my 20's but when I was 20 I thought I was thirty, so when I hit thirty, I went back to 20 for a while then I aged another ten years, stopped there for another decade. But all good things must end so I jumped another decade and then went in to my thirties, again, then went up a couple more decades for which I woke up and said, "when the hell did this happen?" so after seeing the man of my dreams, who is in his forties, but at the time actually in his thirties and not wanting to seem like a Cougar, even though he's unattainable anyway, I decided I'd jump back one decade and that he, seeming to be such an old soul in a hot younger body, I added a decade to him but he took three decades off himself so I removed three off of myself which makes us..........the same age! :funnyup: So there! :funnyface: That's my story and I'm sticking too it!

Delene

:doh::bonk:Delene that was delicious...confusing as hell but delicious none the less. The only true time I was shocked about turning another decade was at 40. I sulked all day as if in mourning....Now that day seems so silly to me.... :unsure: What was I thinking?...40 was still only a baby!

:detect: Maestro wrote:I were in some countries, so maybe Russian, maybe not. And for the other point... Just like the old Romans used to say: "Mens sana in corpore sano".

:cunning:Very good answer; "A sound mind in a sound body"...that's sounds like an extremely well travelled mind and body indeed! Touché! Check/mate...I bow to your knowledge Maestro..

Bonsoir May,

Erik.

Delene

:doh::bonk:Delene that was delicious...confusing as hell but delicious none the less. The only true time I was shocked about turning another decade was at 40. I sulked all day as if in mourning....Now that day seems so silly to me.... :unsure: What was I thinking?...40 was still only a baby!

I got my traumatic day of turning older out of my system very early on when I went from nineteen to twenty. I THOUGHT I WAS SOOOOOO OLD!

Still, however, people don't believe me when I tell them my real age! Maybe they're just trying to be nice!

Delene

Bonjour Delene,

interesting calculation. It is quite a luck to be able to go back and forth with numbers. That brings me to Numerology... Are you in it ? Or do you just like to make things fitting ? *smirks*

Erik.

Bonjour, Maestro! Comment allez-vous?

I'm not sure what Numerology is exactly but as far as making things "fitting", I'm pretty good at that! But I'm also very "gifted" at going against the grain as well! It's just about what ever floats my "gondola" at the moment! ;)

Je vous vois parler le français! J'apprécierai converser avec vous dans la langue d'amour! Oui?

Votre ami et gardien de l'étalon du Maître,

Delene

I'd rather talk music! Maestro Erik, I assume you are a composer? Are you working on anything particular at the moment? What kinds of music do you love?

Swannie

Edited by Swansong
:bite:Bon jour mes amies; Oh how I love a little sparing match...Yes we might have deviated from the topic just a tad; but we are talking to the Maestro after all :pillowfight::lmao: Love Never Dies is the topic and the question we were raising was about the difference in ages between the original Phantom of the Opera version and Love Never Dies one.I for one will not pick nits over little details but some fans have brought this and other arguments to the front about the sequel. Like Phantom; you either love it or hate it but the fact remains that we are here because of him and the movie...and so it lives on...forever in our hearts.

:funnyup: You people are so entertaining!! I love it!! I had to intrude.Erik, BRAVO! I never thought anyone could take on Deb and win!! No offense Deb but I would never take you on, word for word. You have to admit, Erik made his points perfectly. LOL!!

~HUGS~ Kathy

....and yes it IS rude to speak in French when others (me) cannot understand. Back to topic: Maestro Erik, what is your opinion of Love Never Dies? Should it die, or not?

Swannie

:funnyup: You people are so entertaining!! I love it!! I had to intrude.Erik, BRAVO! I never thought anyone could take on Deb and win!! No offense Deb but I would never take you on, word for word. You have to admit, Erik made his points perfectly. LOL!!

~HUGS~ Kathy

:rotflmao:Boy this reminds me of that movie with John Travolta where he was an Angel Michael...I loved the scene with the bull :Devil: and Michael won...ahem but this is WAY off topic...so Love Never Dies is getting a face lift but I hope they don't change too much since I have become quite fond of "Devil takes the hind most"...I can even imagine it playing out!

Oh you ladies are so funny!

May, the subject of Erik's age was not what was getting us off topic. But us discussing what my Master likes to listen to and compose was.

Kathy, get used to it! I think I'm gonna like having my Master to spar with :D

Oh and Master....I too am looking forward to your thoughts on Sir Webber's new musical.