Gerard Butler GALS
becozy

3/17 - Gerard Butler beats Sir Sean to become Hollywood's No.1 Scot

HOLLYWOOD A-lister Gerard Butler has beaten Sir Sean Connery to top a poll of the greatest Scots actors ever.

The star of 300, The Bounty Hunter and Law Abiding Citizen was voted No.1 by internet movie reviewers ScreenJunkies.

The actor – who moved to Canada as a child but was later brought up in Paisley, Renfrewshire, – has a huge female fanbase.

ScreenJunkies believe it was women who voted him tops.

Angela’s Ashes and Trainspotting star Robert Carlyle was in second place. The 49-year-old Glaswegian has a much higher profile in the US now after his starring role in the sci-fi series, Stargate Universe.

In third place was Billy Connolly, 68, while surprisingly in fourth was the 78-year-old James Bond icon Sir Sean.

Three of the top four have appeared in more than 50 movies, while Butler has completed 40 films.

Other well-known stars in the list include Brian Cox, who played a dodgy CIA chief in the Bourne trilogy. The 64-year-old Dundonian was followed by Glaswegian, Gary Lewis, 53, who has been in more than 70 movies and TV shows, including Billy Elliot and The Gangs of New York.

Wanted and Atonement star James McAvoy, claimed seventh spot, while N.C.I.S star David McCallum was eighth.

Butler, 41, was a trainee lawyer in Edinburgh whose excessive partying led to the sack.

He moved to London and took a series of jobs, but it wasn’t until he was 27 that his potential was spotted by director Steven Berkoff.

His profile has risen since appearing in blockbuster hits including Oscar-nominated DreamWorks classic, How to Train Your Dragon.

He first caught the eye of directors as a leading man with his bloodthirsty role as Loenidas, king of the Spartans, in 300.

A ScreenJunkies spokesman said: “Without taking anything away from his skills, Gerard Butler had a lot of women voting for him. Scots have always done some great work in movies and you have some of the best actors of all time.”

More from source here

Well FINALLY. Yes, Gerry has deserved this for several years. So glad

he finally got his due.

Love him absolutely,

Sandy

Well DUH! Of course he is the best! Glad the press is starting to notice!

Suzie

I love it!

I'm not surprised that Sean Connery was bumped from the top 3. He's getting on and moving out of the public consciousness. What was the last movie that he did anyway??

Way to go Gerry. Although, I dispute whether it was really majority women who voted him to the top. Sure, he has a huge female fan base (who are very vocal), but I think people discount his huge male fanbase as well (who may be less vocal). My best male friend was actually how I got into Gerry, who he proudly referred to as his "man crush."

Go Gerry!!!

Steph

It's certainly a 'poll' that I didn't notice on any of the Gerry fan-sites or posted here...

so he 'won' it w/o his GALS pushing for him! :whome2:

:lol:

I like the phrase Hollywood-A-LISTER,congrats to you gerard,this is just the Beginning.

Edited by sweetface

It's certainly a 'poll' that I didn't notice on any of the Gerry fan-sites or posted here...

so he 'won' it w/o his GALS pushing for him! Posted Image

Posted Image

My point exactly, Barb! I was just going to say that I didn't see this poll here at Gals but was thinking I might have missed it; and if the Gals didn't vote for him, maybe members of the other fansites? But then I reconsidered, knowing that not much happens regarding Gerry that is not posted here, so who voted for him in this poll? Posted Image

Anyways, way to go , Gerry! Good article, in spite of its author's mild insinuation! Posted Image

Chris

I don't know if I actually read this in the article, but I got the feeling that it was a poll IN Scotland. Am I crazy? It probably was some very esoteric poll on some random website. :) But yay for Gerry winning without his "pack" backing him!

Steph

– has a huge female fanbase.

ScreenJunkies believe it was women who voted him tops.

not to take away from his skills, has a lot of women voting for him

So pardon me but I don't understand. What difference does it make whether it was women or not and how would they know? It's like "well, he won but we all know why" kind of thing. And unless they ask for gender on the poll I don't think they can just assume it's mostly women voting for him. That's just crazy!

I think Sean retired from acting recently. His last film was "League of Extraordinary Gentleman" and he did a couple of voice over projects. I would have loved to see Gerry do a movie with him.

Delene

I'm with you Delene, I was a little put off by that tone. Also, they seem to imply that because he has women voting for him, the reason they're voting for him has to be his looks or sex appeal... as if our opinions shouldn't be taken seriously.

Anyone see any evidence of patriarchy here? Women's opinion's aren't valid... it has to be verified by a number of male voters in order for the results to be legitimate.

Steph

I'm with you Delene, I was a little put off by that tone. Also, they seem to imply that because he has women voting for him, the reason they're voting for him has to be his looks or sex appeal... as if our opinions shouldn't be taken seriously.

Anyone see any evidence of patriarchy here? Women's opinion's aren't valid... it has to be verified by a number of male voters in order for the results to be legitimate.

Steph

Yeah and just because we have a fan site with icons like :pant::swoon::galdown::bigone::hump::drool::heat::hubba::perverted::mouthmaul::gerrygasm::pants::kilt::Flickmybean::pantingheart: means absolutely nothing! We love him for his brain.....oh AND his acting skills.

Delene

Gerry is my #1 Scot!

Yeah I agree....I think the implication that Gerrys win was more than likely because of the women voters instead of the fact that the man is an amazing actor put a little bit of a *snag* in this article! Well to Hell with that .....I say

YAY Gerry! Well deserved from one of many that didn't get a chance to vote for ye!!!!

:kiss: Frannie

of course he should be the #1 Scotsman-no question. i don't think i'm allowed to start a new topic-but i just saw on a website called www.thefablife.com where they have a March celebrity madness poll with Gerry, colin firth, robert pattinson & alex pettyfer ?? that i didn't recognize-it was for "who's your most boneworthy brit?" i have voted 3x & of course Gerry is wayyyy ahead!!!! please edit this if that's not appropriate to post-you can still go there & vote!! love pisces1962

Sean Connery WAS the greatest Scot EVER in his time and now it's Gerry's time! (See my new siggy) :congrats: to Gerry for the win.

Diane

I have to say that if I looked back through my early posts I strongly responded to a post years ago that was saying that "Gerry could someday be a famous as Colin Farell." My response to that was that in my humble opinion Gerry would equal the popularity of Sir Sean, not Colin Farell, who wouldn't come close. Yes I know Colin is not a Scot but my point at the time was that Gerry had that certain amazing screen presence that would catapult him into the stratosphere in Holywood. I can say, with proof, that I knew it all along.

The last time I was so sure about the popularity of an actor was an unknown in a small movie filmed in Montana called "A River Runs Through It." There is just a certain something that comes across the screen with a very few actors. Brad Pitt fishing on a river in Montana had it and so does our Gerry.

:D

While I love Sir Sean C. and Ewan M., there's no contest with Gerry in every aspect... We love you Gerry!

We'll we already knew that,he was our #1 Scot for years!

As many of us have known for years Gerry is #1. Not only because he is a well rounded actor but because he is one good-looking hunk of manhood with a kind heart.

You are so right, Hot4Gerry! Took them long enough to figure it out, didn't

it?

Congratulations, Gerry!!

Judy