Gerard Butler GALS
becozy

Be the Hero of your Own Story

Be the Hero of your Own Story

Have you faced an obstacle or challenge in your life and overcome it?

Are you working to change or improve some aspect of your life or that of another?

Have you become the Hero of your Own Story?

Don't be shy or modest!! Declare yourself a Hero!

Share your Own Story here ~

Hmm...where do I begin? I have a few stories here, so I'll try to keep them short. I guess the main theme here is forgiveness.

I switched schools and towns in the summer between my 2 years of fifth grade...there was one classmate in particular that I somehow started to hang around with...can't remember exactly how it happened, but by 8th grade we had a good circle of mutual friends. This classmate and I were never really close, just because of differences in opinion and personality I guess, but we were definitely friends. I have so many good memories with her, such as field trips, sleepovers, and youth group... Sadly, the constant bickering kept us apart. In the middle of my sophomore year in high school, she moved down to Florida. We tried to keep in touch via email and such, but eventually, she changed email addresses and we lost touch.

That is, until the summer before my senior year. I got a phone call from one of our mutual friends. Apparently, the classmate had been in a car accident. She wasn't wearing a seatbelt, got thrown from the vehicle, and died on impact. She was 17 and an organ donor, so 9 lives were saved because of her death.

Even though I know where she is, I took her death so hard. Even now, I'm sobbing my eyes out. I never got a chance to say "I'm sorry" or "I forgive you." If I could just go back in time and cherish those moments with her, good and bad...I mean, looking back now, probably 99% of those arguments were over tiny, stupid, silly things. But I can't turn back time.

Shortly after her death, I remember saying a prayer, asking that if there was any way possible, if she could somehow know that I forgave her and that I was sorry. That Sunday, while I was singing in church, I looked over at a brass vase near the front of the church, and for a moment, the reflection on it looked like her face smiling. Right away I felt an inner peace. Now, every time I think of her and feel sad, I ask Jesus to give her a hug for me.

It's been six years, and I've definitely taken the lesson of forgiveness to heart, and I've learned to cherish every acquaintance and friendship that comes into my life. My first 5 years of school were not the best, hence me staying back in 5th grade. And for the longest time, I felt a bitterness toward my first school. Being only 1 town away, however, I had run-ins with a few of my old teachers from that school, and I always came away from those meetings with a smile on my face. And so, last year, I decided to go back and actually visit that school. Most of my teachers were still working there, and so I got to say hi to all of them. One of them even sat down with me and, without me asking, she explained to me the perspective of one student who had always picked on me. That day, I went home with tears of joy in my eyes. I had been so nervous about that visit, not knowing what to expect. But with each quick 'hi, nice to see you, how are you' and hug, all that bitterness inside me completely melted away.

Maybe I can't turn back time and mend that one friendship. But what I can do is learn from my mistake and use that lesson in the friendships and relationships I have now.

Okay, that was a lot longer than I intended...sorry! Thanks for reading...

:ty: Starbossa!

I survived cancer twice. Once when the dreaded disease killed my daughter and I survived the heartbreak. And once when I had uterin cancer and now have been cancer free for six years. The reason I mention my daughter, who died just a few days before her 32nd birthday, was because she was one of the bravest persons I know. It wasn't easy to face her death and get along with life like she asked. I know I felt sad even though I tried to get through life as if it was normal. When I had to face cancer myself, life got a bit darker. Then this magical thing happened. I cannot explain it, I don't understand it myself, but my life changed the day I saw Phantom the first time. I watched it back to back for weeks, absorbing the music, the haunting melodies and that amazing man Gerard Butler. He gave me my smile back. I changed. I turned my life around because of him. I know I've heard him having the same affect with others, but I can only tell you what he's done for me. I picked up his DVDs and have them all now. I listened to his interviews and started seeing something special there. I got involved with the fan sites, met wonderful Gerry fans and have made friends around the states and the world. I guess the greatest thing is I wanted to do something in honor of my daughter. I make quilts (mostly baby quilts)and give them away - so far 36 quilts have been given away and each one is filled with love. I started making some quilts with photos - the first being one with 24 photos of Gerry on it for the person who told me to see Phantom. I have since adopted her as a daughter of my heart for changing my life. I have been making 'Male Bags' with photos of Gerry on them and have given them to one of the fan sites to raise money for Kids Kicking Cancer and other charities Gerry sponsors. The quilt giving and Gerry is what saved my life. I drag anyone and everyone I can over the Gerry moon and try to spread the word on why they just must become a fan. I know this may sound corny, but I know I survived and I have a difference in other people's lives by sharing my story and letting them know they can get through it. All they need is a lot of love and maybe some Gerry Butler to get them through the tough times. :wuv: