Gerard Butler GALS
becozy

6/9 - "Playing The Field" scores March 2012 release

FilmDistrict set a U.S. release date for their Gerard Butler and Jessica Biel soccer rom-com Playing the Field, which will release on March 9, 2012. The film is directed by Gabriele Muccino. source

So soon, wow!! :)

Lucky me i'll be in London in February/March next year maybe i'll get to see the premiere in the uk. Fingers crossed!!

xxStephaniexx

:kiss:

It's weird they can give release dates for next year but no proper date for MGP or Coriolanus :tantrum:

Its out a few weeks after the Oscars so I expect some good PR will be going on during award time possibly having him presenting stuff.

Moira

It's weird they can give release dates for next year but no proper date for MGP or Coriolanus :tantrum:

Its out a few weeks after the Oscars so I expect some good PR will be going on during award time possibly having him presenting stuff.

Moira

Yes, especially if MGP and Coriolanus are nominated in some way as well.

re:release dates-cracks me up that a film can have a firm release date before a single frame has been shot yet films like MGP and Coriolanus, which are "niche" films can linger sometimes for years before being released. Many more films are made than are released to theaters every year. The good news for MGP and Coriolanus is that they both have distribution deals in place. The fact that it's been publicly announced "September 2011" and "November 2011" respectively, leads me to believe that the dates have been scheduled but there are bts factors that make the dates tentative. JMHO

Edited by Hobbes

FilmDistrict set a U.S. release date for their Gerard Butler and Jessica Biel soccer rom-com Playing the Field, which will release on March 9, 2012. The film is directed by Gabriele Muccino. source

Ah Ha, My birtday in 2012. 300 came out on my birthday in 2007, but I didn't know

who Gerry was yet.

That will be a great birthday present, and next birthday. Woopeeee!

Love him absolutely,

Sandy

March? :(

Not the best month for a movie release! :wall:

But, at least we get to see him on the big screen! :phantom:

:erik: Erik's Ebony Eyes :phantom2:

..............and I'll be in NY state in March, at Bible college, so I won't be able to see it in theaters. *sigh* Perhaps when it comes out on DVD.............

Why is March considered not a good month for films? I've heard this before but no idea why...

TBH and HTTYD were released in March and they did well.

Theresa

Why is March considered not a good month for films? I've heard this before but no idea why...

Theresa

January thru late of April and late August thru the end of October are considered, in the film industry, the times to "dump" films you want released, but that you don't think are going to do "great" at the box office or films that may appeal to particular audiences as opposed to a general audience. In other words, they are "slow" periods in the industry.

That does not mean that an occasional released won't do well... 300 is an example. Warner Brothers did not think it would do as well as it did because it was aimed at the male graphic novel readers. But what Zack Snyder did with that film was amazing... something not seen before and so exceeded expectation. They also did not expect this film to appeal to women and quite often around the country any given audience was "male top-heavy" as was expected (but women did attend). If WB had only known, you would have probably seen it released sometime in May thru early August of that year.

TBH is a romantic action comedy... aimed at a certain female audience... not considered to be of general appeal; HTTYD was marketed as a "kids" film... again, not a general audience appeal. And though TBH did well, in the industry, it was not considered to be the high quality film usually released in the high season.

Playing The Field

is another romantic comedy... March release, as romantic comedies appeal to only a certain audience. I for one don't like that genre. On a side note... I really don't like seeing Gerry play in them. I don't think he does well with that genre and that genre (IMHO) does not showcase his acting abilities. But, he probably enjoys doing them... :unsure:

By general audience, I mean an appeal to a wide and varied audience.

And of course, decisions made about whether any particular film is expected to do well or not is at subjective whim of those in Hollywood who produce and distribute these films. The same with what films they decide to send straight to DVD.

Hope that all makes sense. :)

:erik: Erik's Ebony Eyes :phantom:

Edited by Erik's Ebony Eyes

That's very interesting about how they decide when to release films. Makes you wonder why "Water For Elephants" was released in late April (dumping time) and "Bridesmaids" was released in early May. WFE was the better of the two. The latter definately needed to be "dumped" in my opinion!

I wish HW would stop thinking too much about what "target market" they're looking at and concentrate on bringing back some good stories to tell that are entertaining, uplifting or make you walk out of the movie deep in thought instead of just frantically searching for the car keys!

Delene

I think MGP will be one of those movies to make you leave in deep thought.

If it isn't people have no heart. The story behind this one should rack the

soul even without considering Gerry's performance, which I am sure will

cause the heart ot pause, as it always does. He brings life to his

characters and this is one character that deserves recognition.

I can't wait for this film.

Love him absolutely,

Sandy

I LOVE going to the movies in March, when the weather in the northeast is blah!

I think we all will be in for a special surprise, with Playing the Field.

(I'm on pins and needles waiting to hear more about MGP) Marc Forster, the director, is so well respected in the industry. I'm sure we will be hearing something soon.

J

:goodjob:

Marc's movie "Monster's Ball" was released in very limited release in late December and won a slew of awards(Best Actress and Best Original Screenplay). I really hope that Gerry finally gets a Best Actor nom for MGP as well as Best Picture. Yes, I'm biased but I think Gerry is highly underrated/under appreciated in Hollyweird. He should've been nominated for his role as The Stranger in Dear Frankie. JMHO

I think it is terrific that the movie has been given any release date this early. It just finished filming and the director cut and paste phase is just starting so it is difficult for distributors to see anything close to a final product. The distributors must like what they see so far!

I continue to enjoy Gerry's mix of rom com and drama and sci fi and swashbuckling, etc. He sure is making some great decisions vis a vis his career.

:D

Having so many stars in this doesn't hurt either. It sounds to me like PTF will be something a bit more then a romcom.

Delene

Theresa

January thru late of April and late August thru the end of October are considered, in the film industry, the times to "dump" films you want released, but that you don't think are going to do "great" at the box office or films that may appeal to particular audiences as opposed to a general audience. In other words, they are "slow" periods in the industry.

That does not mean that an occasional released won't do well... 300 is an example. Warner Brothers did not think it would do as well as it did because it was aimed at the male graphic novel readers. But what Zack Snyder did with that film was amazing... something not seen before and so exceeded expectation. They also did not expect this film to appeal to women and quite often around the country any given audience was "male top-heavy" as was expected (but women did attend). If WB had only known, you would have probably seen it released sometime in May thru early August of that year.

TBH is a romantic action comedy... aimed at a certain female audience... not considered to be of general appeal; HTTYD was marketed as a "kids" film... again, not a general audience appeal. And though TBH did well, in the industry, it was not considered to be the high quality film usually released in the high season.

Playing The Field

is another romantic comedy... March release, as romantic comedies appeal to only a certain audience. I for one don't like that genre. On a side note... I really don't like seeing Gerry play in them. I don't think he does well with that genre and that genre (IMHO) does not showcase his acting abilities. But, he probably enjoys doing them... :unsure:

By general audience, I mean an appeal to a wide and varied audience.

And of course, decisions made about whether any particular film is expected to do well or not is at subjective whim of those in Hollywood who produce and distribute these films. The same with what films they decide to send straight to DVD.

Hope that all makes sense. :)

:erik: Erik's Ebony Eyes :phantom:

Hello, I just loved your explanation!

Do you happen to know how do we get a clue of when the cast of a particular film is scheduled to go "on tour" to promote it? I mean, does the "Coriolanus" cast will have the chance to "tour" promoting it? What do you think? I ask it because I´m from Brazil, and Gerry was here to promote "300" in April 2007, but never returned for other "tours" like for instance "The Bounty Hunter" tour, which premiered in NY, LA, London, Paris, Madrid, etc.

I´d so love to travel to Europe or America to see the actors on a premiere, and maybe meet Gerry in person. I don´t think he´ll be showing up in Brazil for a movie promotion... only if the film hits really huge in the box office, but for that we can´t guess. Anyway, I have my finges crossed for a chance of travelling somewhere in the globe in 2012, to see him!

Cheers from Brazil,

Karin