Gerard Butler GALS

Weinstein Set Coriolanus US Release Date

Theresa I can't see this having a big premiere. I think it will be on limited release at more ArtHouse type of cinemas and will only go mainstream if buzz leads them to believe it stands a chance with wider audience. You and I both know how deep and heavy the Shakespeare dialogue was.

Moira

Theresa I can't see this having a big premiere. I think it will be on limited release at more ArtHouse type of cinemas and will only go mainstream if buzz leads them to believe it stands a chance with wider audience. You and I both know how deep and heavy the Shakespeare dialogue was.

Moira

It's true, it would probably be difficult to follow unless someone is familiar with the story. Then again audiences should be given a chance to be exposed to something different than the usual action film or rom com. It will be interesting to see how they promote this film to the international audiences. I know it is already getting a good buzz in Greece. Here the language will not be a barrier because we always have subtitles so we get the pleasure of the actors' performance and we still have the subtitles to help if we miss something.

If you think about it, even RnR didn't get a wide release or decent promotion in the US because they thought the American audience wouldn't get it. If I were and American I would be insulted. It is brave of the Weinstein brothers to put their faith in Coriolanus. Let's see how they play it.

I hope they have a premiere in the UK at least. Although there the focus will be on Ralph which is understandable. And they don't have such a large platform for TV shows.

I don't want to sound ungrateful that Coriolanus got a 2011 release date in the US, but wouldn't it be a lot better if it were released a little sooner, before MGP? That way it could create a good buzz for G's credibility and then MGP could follow.

Theresa

Edited by terezoulini

Well as far as art house around these parts, I may have to really keep an eye out for this one and travel a ways to see it! I love Shakespeare really. I love the poetic cadence. Looking forward to seeing this.

Delene

Wow, imagine a Best Supporting Actor nomination for this and Best Actor nomination for MGP at next year's Oscars!

:yay::drool1::pointy:

That would be great but unfortunately I don't see it happening for Coriolanus. Gerry is great in it, really, but the part itself does not allow for an Oscar performance.

Theresa

I've been dying to see this movie, really, but do I see myself seeing it before dvd release? No. This is simply because it is not the kind of film that typically has nation-wide releases, which sucks so much. I have every ammount of faith in the Weinsteins, and know that they are more than capable of producing good work. Heck their company distributed my two favorite films last year, Black Swan and The Kings Speech. And I'm such an indie film person anyway, and honestly about 90 percent of the movies that I'm interested in seeing are all independent or 'art-house', plus I'm a Shakespeare buff. But, I'm just thinking realistically and I feel that most people won't know about this film and it therefore won't get wider distribution.

I agree Theresa while Gerry is outstanding in this film and his performance is very understated it's not the kind of showy performance that would catch voters. What it will do is give him more respect added to a potentially Oscar worthy performance in MGP.

Moira

I'm hoping the Independent artsy theater in Denver will play this movie like they did with Beowulf. I was thrilled to be able to see Beowulf on the big screen. The DVD falls way short compared to the big screen. I have high hopes I will get to see Coriolanus.

~HUGS~ Kathy

I agree Theresa while Gerry is outstanding in this film and his performance is very understated it's not the kind of showy performance that would catch voters. What it will do is give him more respect added to a potentially Oscar worthy performance in MGP.

Moira

Well put, Moira. As we have said before, Gerry gives a very cinematic performance, exactly as his chareacter should be played on the big screen instead of the theatre, whereas the other actors, coming from a long standing theatre experience, are more "exaggerated", more theatrical and that's not always good when you are working with a camera. I think if Gerry had more respect with the "serious" critics, they would give him credit for that. Instead most of them, have said nothing about G, which in this case I take it as a compliment. If they didn't like his performance, I am sure their venom would be easily thrown at him, now they have nothing bad to say and they are finding hard to praise him. If you notice they don't really praise Ralph as an actor in this film either, it's more his directorial work they were impressed with. I think Vanessa will be the one getting the nominations and maybe Brian Cox. But it will create a good track record for G and put people in the right frame of mind for MGP.

Theresa

Well as far as art house around these parts, I may have to really keep an eye out for this one and travel a ways to see it! I love Shakespeare really. I love the poetic cadence. Looking forward to seeing this.

Delene

Hey there, Delene Girl! Why doncha just mozey on down here to the big city ( Kansas City ) ta see this here film. We gots us some o dem dere "art howzes". I thunk they be around der Plaza area.

The Divine Miss S :rose:

• 5 weeks later...

Hey Gals: Good news! In case you haven't heard, TIFF has accepted "Coriolanus" for this year's Festival (September 8-17, 2011)!!!!! Posted Imagehttp://gerrybutlerspantry.aforumfree.com/t2778-coriolanus-accepted-for-tiff-release-date-is-dec-2nd I have a small studio apartment, but I could put some of you up if you don't mind sleeping on the floor! Posted ImagePosted ImageIt's embarrassing to say I had to find out this information from a source other than TIFF. Posted Image