Gerard Butler GALS

Could Gerry play Richard Burton?

GBPhanatic

Wasn't sure where to put this. Mods can move it if they need too.

Martin Scorsese is working on a biopic about Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton and their love and life together and there is a poll out to cast them and Gerry is on it. I mentioned in a previous thread that I thought Gerry would make a great Richard Burton even though Burton was only five feet ten! I also think Russell Crowe would be good one.

Actually, I wasn't too happy with their choices for Elizabeth. I'm thinking more like Angelina Jolie. She and Gerry had some great chemistry together in Tomb Raider. I'd love to see them work together again!

Here's the poll that you can vote for your choice, Gerry or otherwise!

http://blogs.indiewire.com/thompsononhollywood/2011/06/21/elizabeth_taylor_richard_burton_casting_furious_love/ -

Delene

Edited by GBPhanatic

Gerry could be a great Burton...he looks sort of like him. I also like the suggestion on the site of James Purefoy to play Burton. As for AJ...I've never been a fan, so I wouldn't ever want to see her play Liz Taylor...she doesn't really look a whole lot like her either, and I don't think she's dare I say, good enough to portray such a legend. Just my opinion.

Edited by AngelofMusic

Gerry is a big guy, even though he slimed down. Richard Burton was not, although I think Gerry could pull it off if the actress who would play Elizabeth was also taller. As far as Angelina playing Elizabeth…I do not know about that. Elizabeth Taylor was a classic beauty with delicate face features. I do not think Angelina is suitable for that role. It’s just my opinion.

GB would make an outstanding Burton. Based on the picture of Burton included with the article, Gerry looks enough like him to be his brother. Not only that, but IMO, watching Gerry and Russell side-by-side, I still feel that Gerry has the ability to actually become the character he is playing. With apologies to Russell Crowe fans, I still see him as an actor playing a role and not as the character he is acting. The only exception was in Gladiator.

Portman would make an outstanding Taylor. Watch her performance in The Other Boleyn Girl and then watch her in Black Swan. She definitely has the necessary range. She would definitely have to gain about 20 pounds, but I really believe she could pull off an excellent Taylor.

Portman and Butler playing off of one another in a film about one of the most contentious, dysfunctional, fascinating love stories in movie history would make for some incredible cinema, especially if the period during the filming of Cleopatra is explored in depth.

Yeah....Butler and Portman together....yep....and with Scorcese as the director....OMG....we're talking Oscar here....

Gerry without a doubt. Although Clive Owen looks brooding like Burton too. As for AJ, Liz Taylor was not skinny and covered with tats. She was extremely curvy, so would require a female with some meat on her bones. I think Rachael Weise would be great.

Suzie

OK on second thought, maybe Angie would not make a good Liz. Actors can change hair color, make up, gain or loose weight. CZJ has the classic beauty looks but wondering if she might be a tad too old to play the younger Taylor. Rachel might be good as well as Portman. I'm not familiar with a couple of those actresses. Scarlet is very classic Hollywood but not sure she could do Taylor.

Let's keep voting for Gerry!

Delene

I adore the thought of Natalie Portman playing Liz Taylor, she is such an outstanding actress, her performance in Black Swan alone is enough to convince me as such let alone her entire body of work. She like Taylor also had a great deal in common in terms of what it meant to be a child actor, because both were. I think she along side Gerry would be so utterly terrific, and with Scorsese at the helm (such a huge fan of his!!)...yeah, this could be big. Scarlett J. is all wrong, as are a few others suggested, Rachel Weisz could be good, but I think she look too old to play the part.

I can see why so many of you would like to see Gerry playing such an iconic figure as Burton but I see Clive Owen myself especially looks wise. I just can't picture Gerry as Burton. If he wants the part and gets it he might surprise me. I think my problem is Pre 300 he was so chameleon like that you often didn't realise it was him but alot of films he has done since haven't showcase what we know he is capable of.

Moira

Don't shoot me, but I really think Russell Crowe is a better choice. He looks more like Richard Burton and at 5'11" is closer to Richard Burton's height, which was 5'10". :inshade: As for having a taller actress play Elizabeth Taylor, Elizabeth was very curvy and only 5'2". Although I don't think any of today's actresses can even begin to approach Elizabeth's talent and beauty, Natalie Portman would be the best choice. Just my opinion. I didn't vote in the poll, cause I can't bring myself to vote against Gerry! :lol:

Gerry all the way!! But since I was and always have been a huge fan of ET I think it's going to be a bit harder to fill her shoes...all the choices are too thin and just do not have that exceptional beauty that ET had....There was one name that although I don't know of her she seems to have the classic beauty somewhat that could be a maybe...Oh shoot I forgot her name! Olivia ??????? something!

:wave: Frannie

Well, it's tricky. Playing someone so iconic is treacherous. The critics could crussify G because they are prejudiced. I don't think G would like to put himself up for such a battle. Lookswise Clive Owen seems close. But for the sake of argument, here's a comparison:

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

What do you think?

Theresa

Edited by terezoulini

Well, it's tricky. Playing someone so iconic is treacherous. The critics could crussify G because they are prejudiced. I don't think G would like to put himself up for such a battle. Lookswise Clive Owen seems close. But for the sake of argument, here's a comparison:

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

What do you think?

Theresa

Good comparison! I think he could pull it off but it might not be a role he would like to take on. The best contenders are neck and neck and Gerry is presently out in front!

Delene

While I absolutely agree that portaying such iconic figures can be treading on dangerous waters, in the past, I've seen that it can be done. For example Joaquin Phoenix did an excellent job portraying the great Johnny Cash, and the same can be said of Jamie Foxx's portrayal of Ray Charles, or Cate Blanchett's portrayal of Elizabeth I (that one, as a history buff, blew me away). I have every belief that if Gerry does indeed get offered this role, and he accepts, that he would do an outstanding job.

As for Liz Taylor, my vote still goes to Natalie Portman...for an actress who has been one since she was 11, she really has become an extraordinary performer.

I voted for Gerry and Natalie Portman; I loved her in "The Professional" with Jean Reno and of course the "Black Swan". Thanks for sharing this!

YAY! Gerry win.....NP....I don't see it! there is NO resemblance to Liz what so ever to me. JMO but what will be will be....

YAY! Gerry win.....NP....I don't see it! there is NO resemblance to Liz what so ever to me. JMO but what will be will be....

:detect:It looks like that Frannie...but it remains to be seen "if" the producers will even consider such a poll on his behalf? If we were going on "resemblances" if you study the looks of Richard Burton and Russel Crowe; they are much closer in build and stature; even though I'd prefer Gerry in that role. Remember; for those of us who are "old" enough to remember the man; he was a bit husky and broody in nature.