Gerard Butler GALS

Phantom Pheast 2011

Susan~Sporran

Oh NO! Why is Shin's closing?? I really liked that restaurant, and of course, the connection to Gerry was great. How sad! It was such a fun place for us to go to. Do you know when the last day will be? Maybe I can get over there with my hubby before it's gone.

Rayna

I am also open to suggestions of restaurants in the area that have private space, can accomodate our budget and our uncertain number of attendees on a Saturday night, don't require a guaranteed minimum in $$ or attendees, or a large up front deposit, and will provide the customer service that Alex does at Kate's. It's a tough combination to find.[/b]

What about Jerry's Deli on Westwood Blvd? There is a room in the back, sort of. We've used it before, after the B&G screening, and after the 300 screening (I think). It's a deli, so the prices are good. We could ask...

Rayna

Sadly it looks like Shin won't be an option for us - I just heard that Simon is closing the restaurant permanently.

There are various reasons why we have fewer attendees but the choice of restaurant is probably the least of them - some of the people who used to attend regularly just no longer have the interest in Gerry or his movies that they once did. I know of others who have serious financial problems and could not attend for that reason, so finding a different place that would accomodate us in a private room but at a bigger price tag won't help in that respect. We can't recapture what once was, passion for Phantom and maybe even for Gerry isn't at the level it was back in 2005-2006 and it impacts everything from talk show attendance, movie box office, fan site participation, etc.

For next year we will do more promotion off of the Gerry sites, via Facebook and Twitter. We did a little of that this year but not as much as we probably need to since more people go to those sources now than to fan sites.

I am also open to suggestions of restaurants in the area that have private space, can accomodate our budget and our uncertain number of attendees on a Saturday night, don't require a guaranteed minimum in $ or attendees, or a large up front deposit, and will provide the customer service that Alex does at Kate's. It's a tough combination to find.

OH NO! That makes me so sad that Simon is closing the doors. I will have to get there one last time before he closes. What a shame.

I have already started promoting for next year on Zany's Phantom Phans FB page, and have been receiving PMs asking about it. I will also very gladly and heartily promote it on GBI, which I did but not as strongly as I should have. I think we need to not wait until September to promote it. If our numbers are up next year, location won't be an issue I'm guessing.

Susan, I do hope you know that I wasn't criticizing at all. I don't know the ins and outs and wasn't taking numbers into account. I completely understand that aspect of it now. But I'll put my thinking cap on and see if I can think of any place that might be as accommodating and welcoming for our Phanaticism. LOL

HUGS

Rayna - I don't know when Shin is closing, it sounded like it had already happened. I had been looking forward to taking my husband there soon since he never had the pleasure of experiencing the great food and service and I've talked about it many times.

After a long history of very bad service from Jerry's Deli in Westwood (and in Marina del Rey) the last time I was there is truly the LAST time I will be there - someone in the restaurant set off pepper spray (or something like it) that sent one of us to the UCLA Emergency Room and left others of us coughing, wheezing and choking, and the restaurant did nothing - did not acknowledge it or apologize for it even though many people in the restaurant were affected. Not that they can control what everyone there does, but in a situation like that you'd think they'd at least say they were sorry it happened. I doubt any of us who were there that night will ever go back.

Lisa - I didn't take your post as criticism, I too am aware of the shortcomings of the situation this year, just trying to explain the whys of it. Over the years of doing the Pheast I've explored many different options, at all sorts of restaurants from Santa Monica, to Westwood, to Beverly Hills to Hollywood and have not yet found one that would be as accomodating to our needs as Kate's (and The Gardens before that). Even if The Gardens was still open we would not have been given the private room this year because our party was too small for it. When our venue for the movie changed this year I considered how Shin would have been a nice option but by the time that happened I had already committed to Kate's and I don't like to back out on commitments especially to a place that does everything they can to try to make it work for us whether there are 15 of us or 50.

Rayna - I don't know when Shin is closing, it sounded like it had already happened. I had been looking forward to taking my husband there soon since he never had the pleasure of experiencing the great food and service and I've talked about it many times.

After a long history of very bad service from Jerry's Deli in Westwood (and in Marina del Rey) the last time I was there is truly the LAST time I will be there - someone in the restaurant set off pepper spray (or something like it) that sent one of us to the UCLA Emergency Room and left others of us coughing, wheezing and choking, and the restaurant did nothing - did not acknowledge it or apologize for it even though many people in the restaurant were affected. Not that they can control what everyone there does, but in a situation like that you'd think they'd at least say they were sorry it happened. I doubt any of us who were there that night will ever go back.

Lisa - I didn't take your post as criticism, I too am aware of the shortcomings of the situation this year, just trying to explain the whys of it. Over the years of doing the Pheast I've explored many different options, at all sorts of restaurants from Santa Monica, to Westwood, to Beverly Hills to Hollywood and have not yet found one that would be as accomodating to our needs as Kate's (and The Gardens before that). Even if The Gardens was still open we would not have been given the private room this year because our party was too small for it. When our venue for the movie changed this year I considered how Shin would have been a nice option but by the time that happened I had already committed to Kate's and I don't like to back out on commitments especially to a place that does everything they can to try to make it work for us whether there are 15 of us or 50.

I actually like Kate's. It a beautiful restaurant with good food. I hope we stay where we are. :pointy:

Yeah, it seems Shin's is closed. I went to the web site and clicked on "reservations" and got a screen that says, "This restaurant is currently unavailable." Bummer.

And, sorry to hear about Mantilini. How crazy is that? I guess we need to look around to see what's available for next year.

Rayna

My dear friend Simon, the owner of Shins told me that Shins has been closed now for about a month. I will keep everyone informed if he opens another restaurant. I wish him well.

Who said Kate's is closing? As busy a restaurant as they are they would be hard to believe unless like the Gardens it is a lease issue. Their website still says they are celebrating the 25th anniversary there in March 2012. I've texted Alex (the manager) to ask if there is any truth in it. They do have another location, in Woodland Hills - hopefully if any is closing it is that one and not Beverly Hills. I checked there Facebook page and saw no indicator - in fact a recent post by them referenced their 25th year there.

Who said Kate's is closing? As busy a restaurant as they are they would be hard to believe unless like the Gardens it is a lease issue. Their website still says they are celebrating the 25th anniversary there in March 2012. I've texted Alex (the manager) to ask if there is any truth in it. They do have another location, in Woodland Hills - hopefully if any is closing it is that one and not Beverly Hills. I checked there Facebook page and saw no indicator - in fact a recent post by them referenced their 25th year there.

Maybe it is the other location. I'm just reporting what someone told me. I'm sure you'll find out what the truth is.

I am very glad Kate is not closing. It is a wonderful restaurant. I hope we stay there for future dinners.

We will be planting 25 more trees in the Phantom Phorest for Trees for Life and contributing $600 to City of Hope from the proceeds of the Pheast. Thank you so much to everyone who bought tickets, everyone who donated items for the raffle, to Cheri for making them so beautiful w/help from Tamara, to Veronica for the great goody bags and to Miss S for all the amazing items including the fabulous shirts and the adorable Gerbears.

This is great news Susan! Those are awesome amounts, since we had far fewer attendees this time. Once again, thank you to everyone who contributed, and thanks to you, Susan, for all your hard work!

Hugs,

Sarah