Gerard Butler GALS

New Support Drive - We're Growing Rapidly!

Dr. Em

As many of you have experienced, we have had a few stability problems with the site so I have sent a "help ticket" to Inmotion Hosting who have informed us that we are a very active and very rapidly growing site and they suggest, in order to keep stability, that we move up to our own dedicated server. Great for them, not for us. That will cost us AT LEAST $2,400.00 per year (which has to be paid for in advance). I'm sick.

Needless to say, we need to do this move as soon as possible. So we are asking you, our members, for some help with this. Please give what you can even if it's $5.00. Every dollar counts. Here is the letter from In Motion we want to be open an honest about our exact site cost.

Hello,

During recent routine maintenance your account, gerardbutlergals.com, was identified as using a very large amount of system resources, in excess of what is normally allowed on the shared platform. Specifically, we saw that the number of concurrent connections to your site coupled with the scripting on your site was causing yoru account to use more cpu time and RAM than is allocated to an account of your current platform.

System Administration has wanted me to clarify and inform you that a site likes yours that appears to have extensive scripting and a large user base will most likely be far better suited to our V-dedicated platform 1024, or even our one of our dedicated servers. The issue is not necessarily an issue of bandwidth, although your site is quite busy. A busy site coupled with active scripting like you will see with a forum or other scripting software 'costs' more as each visitor requires a larger amount of cpu and memory to handle running the scripts associated with their visit to your site.

Resource usage of this nature is a natural result on an increasingly popular site, and like sites like gerardbutler.net have moved up to packages similar in nature as their sites have grown in popularity and complexity. One of our concerns for you is that as your site reaches above the allowed limits, it's performance very well may suffer as it runs into built into limits as to what is allowed on that system in terms of rsource usage. More robust solutions would provide far more resources in the way of CPU time and a larger allotment of system memory which generally allows for better responsiveness for an active site with many concurrent users.

The shared system, which is geared more towards general eCommerce ventures and informational sites, is not as well as equipped as our V-dedicated and Dedicated solutions to handle a site as popular as yours. On the V-Dedicated and Dedicated platforms you would have more than adequate resources to continue to fuel further growth for your site and contine the success you have already seen.

Please let us know how you would like to proceed and we will gladly be of assistance in clarifying your account's resource usage. Keep in mind, moving to our V-dedicated/dedicated platforms would be essentially seamless, with most likely less than a minute of downtime.

We look forward to hearing from you, let us know if you have any further questions.

Best Regards,

Tyler

The InMotion Hosting Team

Thanks so much for your support!

:hugs:

Dr. Em

Donations can be submitted online through Paypal or mailed as money orders/checks.

PAYPAL: Just go to the PayPal site click here and go to "Send Money", put drem@gerardbutlergals.com as the email address you're sending to, and donate the amount you want. (You DO need to set up an account first.)

MAILING ADDRESS: Please address all money orders & checks to "GALS" and mail to

GALS

PO Box 2260

Pocatello, ID 83206-2260

:thankyou2:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to be able to help! :clap:

Keep the GALS love coming! :inlove:

I don't even want to remember what it was like before Gerry and my GALS...I have come to love and value you all so much!

Gerry dreams to all! :cunning:

Love, :kisswink:

Jen

Guest Aislinn

Dr. Em --

Just made a contribution to the support drive. I am so proud of GALS and so happy to be a member here. I cannot believe (well, actually I can) how much this site has grown.

Woo-Hoo!!!!! :clap::clap::clap: :yippee: :yippee: :yippee:

Thanks to you and our wonderful GALS staff that keeps all of us deliriously happy in the Happily Ever After Land of Gerrydom.

((Hugs))

~ Ashley/Aislinn

Okay this is a killer. I'm on the phone with Inmotion right now.

The $600 has mushroomed to $2,400! I'm dying here! We have more than doubled in two months and because our traffic is so massive, they said we have to "emergency" move us within days to a dedicated server.

I'm sick to my stomach. Please help us out. :tissues:

:hugs:

Dr. Em