Gerard Butler GALS

In Memoriam...

Dr. Em

Ten years ago today, was a beautiful Tuesday morning. I was in my bathroom getting ready for work, periodically looking up in the mirror to see the television in my bedroom, where I was tuned in to Good Morning America.

It was a day like any other for most, but for me, it was an extra special day. I walked into my office to iron my clothes for the day and my beautiful 17-year old daughter walked upstairs from her bedroom. I hugged her and said, "Happy Birthday, my sweet baby girl." I was filled with so much love for my first-born who had grown into such a lovely, gracious young lady. Never could I have imagined in my worst nightmares what would happen next.

Leaving my daughter to get ready for school, I walked back into my room to dress for work. It was at that moment I watched in horror as a jetliner collided into one of the Twin Towers. I knew immediately this was no accident. I was frozen with fear and shock listening to the commentators as yet another jetliner slammed into the second tower. I must have made some sort of exclamation as my oldest came running into my bedroom. I could tell she couldn't quite comprehend the enormity of what had just occurred, but really, could any of us?

This July, I visited the as-yet-to-be-completed memorial site. As we walked closer and closer, the crowd became noticeably quieter and there was a reverence, which was palpable. We stood in line briefly for tickets to the museum, but I couldn't bring myself to enter. It was still all too fresh. I was overcome with tremendous grief for those souls lost, appreciation for those who served so valiantly, and pride for my beloved country.

So much has changed these past 10 years. My first-born is 27 today and the mother of an adorable baby girl who is the apple of this grandma's eye.

Today as we honor the victims and heroes of 9/11, let us also look forward with faith, hope and above all, love.

We will never forget...

:hugs:

Dayna

It's really ironic....when I was asked where I was on Sept. 10th 2001 I couldn't remember for the life of me. I know exactly where I was the very next morning when the first tower was struck...I was glancing at the paper with my third cup of coffee while watching GMA. The next 2 hours were sort of a blur and numbness. Who could even fathom that such an awful atrocity could be taken place in the United States of America? Living so close to the city of NY I have to admit for a brief moment I was a little frightened that we were also in harms way. The first thing I did was call my whole family. Just wanted to hear their voices. Shortly after that, I just sat down and cried my heart out....for the innocent Mothers, Fathers, Brothers, sisters, and little children that were just starting out their happy little day......for the many many more that would also perish by trying to help save just one more! Yes that day I will never forget! Thank you Dayna for starting this thread.

May God Bless America

Frannie

I had just gotten home from taking my daughter to school and was waiting for my sister to arrive. She was dropping her kids off at my house because I was going to watch them for her while she ran some errands. I hadn't turned on the TV or radio at all that day and Bill had already gone to work. When my sister arrived, she told me to turn on the TV, saying, "the United States is under attack." She had heard about the first plane hitting the first tower on the radio while driving to my house. We sat and watched in horror as the second tower was hit.

May we never forget that day and those who lost their lives and their families whose lives were changed forever.

10 years ago today hubby and I were still asleep when the phone rang. It was my best friend Melissa telling me to turn on the TV; that there had been some sort of plane crash into NYC building. The moment we switched on the live coverage, the second plane hit and Bill and I both just sat there gawking at the screen. Initially I thought, "is this some disaster movie?"...because that's how it felt. Like something you could only imagine coming out of Hollywood. But it was real, and we, like all Americans were devastated, shocked, frightened...wondering if that was the beginning of WW3. I started to cry and Bill held me in arms, telling me that everything would be ok...but then the 1st tower fell, and that soul-laden cloud of dust that seemed to embody the devil himself, roiled down the streets of NY and somehow we knew that it would never be ok again. At least not as it had once been, because America would never feel safe again, and because nearly 3000 souls had been extinguished in the ashes and smoke of terror. For the next 3 days we lived in front of our TV as the personal stories and the political fallout ensued...only switching off the news long enough to watch Will Smith kick some alien arse in "Independence Day"

As I look back 10 years ago, I'm amazed by how much has changed in our own individual lives. 10 years ago we thought the world was ending. It didn't. 10 years ago before that fateful morning, we as Americans were secure in the knowledge that our borders were secure against enemies. They weren't and they aren't. 10 years ago the American economy was on fire. Now we are in the 2nd worse financial crisis of our nation's history! And I can only imagine how much has changed for those who lost loved ones on 9-11.

A quote from the song, Empty Chairs from Les Miserables:

"there's a grief that can't be spoken...there's a pain goes on and on. Empty chairs at empty tables, now my friends are dead and gone. Phantom faces at the window. Phantom shadows on the floor...empty chairs at empty tables where my friends will meet no more..."

(On a personal note: 10 years ago my husband was a happy, energetic, and healthy man. Now he has a devastating illness I could not have imagined on 9-11 10 years ago.)

Amazing how much can change in 10 years.

But we all move on and live our lives as best we can. We watch the coverage of the new memorial that marks the very scars in the earth where the twin towers once stood. We hold our loved ones a little closer, and many of us pray that our nation's scars and sorrows will at last be healed. Perhaps the 10th anniversary can be the beginning of that healing.

Swannie

I was in eighth grade at the time...the only other thing I remember about that particular day, other than the obvious, is that I was looking forward to my birthday on the 13th. I can't remember exactly, but it might have been before or after our class trip to Franconia Notch, in which I sprained my ankle. (Not really important...just trying to piece together everything in my mind.)

Anyway, we had just gotten to the cafeteria for our 10-minute break, and then we were called back to the classrooms. Completely confused, we shuffled our way back to our various classrooms. When we got there, the move-able wall separating 2 of our 8th grade classrooms was opened up to allow the entire grade to see the TV. As we watched everything unfold, I remember still being a bit confused...not fully understanding everything....I guess when I was that age it just all felt so distant... But I do remember the unity that came of it...the patriotism...

And yeah that's all I really remember from that day in particular...as I matured, it of course became more meaningful to me. And today and in the days ahead, the families and friends of the victims and fallen heroes remain in my thoughts and prayers. May God surround them with blessings and comfort.

• 2 months later...

In Norway this was 6 more hours into the day but I often put CNN on to keep up with what is going on.

My DH was in the garden with my two sons who were visiting at the time and my just two year old granddaughter was eagerly playing around in the livingroom.

We were babysitting her for a week as her daddy was out in the North Sea as chef aboard a standby ship by an oil rig and her mamma was at the University of Cambridge.

I just couldn't believe what I saw and called the men in. We then witnessed as the tragedy escalated with more horror.

We were also very concerned as to what this could mean for our daughter/sister and a safe travel back home. Were there more terrorists just waiting to spread evil?

I felt sick to my stomach and my heart wept for all lives lost and damaged...

I tried to make sure the wee one didn't watch all of this and during the rest of the day and the days that followed it felt like being inside and outside a nightmare.

A few years later I watched my oldest son leave for the first time to Afghanistan, - a direct result of the gruesome events of 9/11.

This summer we had 7/22. I cannot fathom what goes on in the minds of men behind such acts.

So many have paid and will pay for this madness. All we can do is pray.

And not allow ourselves to be dragged down to the dark side but teach the young the ways of knowledge, awareness, love and tolerance.

Edited by NordicGirl