Gerard Butler GALS

Phantom 25th Anniversary

Given that Phantom is celebrating it's 25th Anniversary tomorrow (or today if you are reading it then!!) with a concert and live theatrical screenings in movie theatres, just wondering what the odds are on Gerry making an appearance?

He is still in London and it says on the site "with a cast and orchestra of over 200 together with some special guest appearances."

Unlikely maybe as he would probably have other MGP commitments, or just chilling, but you never know!!

If he does it is being released on DVD in November!

x

:reddeath:

It's frightening to know that it's been 25 years already since the first Phantom made his debut...Hope Gerry does make an appearance; after all; he was a big part of why we are all here ...right?

Suzie and I saw the show today at a local theater. Following the performance, Andrew Lloyd Webber made a brief presentation and introduced the original London cast, including Sarah Brightman and Michael Crawford. Several former Phantoms appeared as well, and sang "The Phantom of the Opera" with Sarah and "Music of the Night." Michael Crawford arrived straight from a performance at another theater so he didn't sing and wasn't dressed in a tux like the other Phantoms were. There was no mention of the movie and no one from the movie cast was there. I really did enjoy the show. Some of the staging was different from what I remember from the stage production and some of the words to some of the songs were different. I loved Sierra Boggess as Christine. She was great. I also enjoyed Ramin Karimloo's performance as the Phantom. I now have 3 favorite Phantoms and 2 favorite Christines. :D

Suzie and I saw the show today at a local theater. Following the performance, Andrew Lloyd Webber made a brief presentation and introduced the original London cast, including Sarah Brightman and Michael Crawford. Several former Phantoms appeared as well, and sang "The Phantom of the Opera" with Sarah and "Music of the Night." Michael Crawford arrived straight from a performance at another theater so he didn't sing and wasn't dressed in a tux like the other Phantoms were. There was no mention of the movie and no one from the movie cast was there. I really did enjoy the show. Some of the staging was different from what I remember from the stage production and some of the words to some of the songs were different. I loved Sierra Boggess as Christine. She was great. I also enjoyed Ramin Karimloo's performance as the Phantom. I now have 3 favorite Phantoms and 2 favorite Christines. :D

:detect:How wonderful it must have been seeing such an event. I am a little disappointed in Andrew's omission of any cast members from the movie however. Not even a nod? I guess there was not enough time to prepare....not likely.

It was a wonderful show! I loved every minute of it! I guess since this was a celebration of "Phantom" the stage production, they didn't include any references to the movie. Too bad. It would have been nice to have at least mentioned the movie and it's stars. After all, the movie was the first time many Phans ever even saw the show to be begin with. I'm one of them. I had heard the music, but had never seen the show. Now, I've seen the stage show several times, but I saw the movie first. Probably would never have seen the show if not for the movie and Gerry's performance as the Phantom. :wuv:

It was a wonderful show! I loved every minute of it! I guess since this was a celebration of "Phantom" the stage production, they didn't include any references to the movie. Too bad. It would have been nice to have at least mentioned the movie and it's stars. After all, the movie was the first time many Phans ever even saw the show to be begin with. I'm one of them. I had heard the music, but had never seen the show. Now, I've seen the stage show several times, but I saw the movie first. Probably would never have seen the show if not for the movie and Gerry's performance as the Phantom. :wuv:

You are so right Lady Elissa; many of us had seen Phantom on the television in black and white but never like the one Gerry played in. It was after seeing his version; that so many fan sites grew to be what they are today! Indeed if it had not have been for Gerry's Phantom; the character would never had touched so many hearts. They were sadly omitted but not forgotten by the fans.

I have bought the special edition box and in the book explaining the Phantom phenomon , there is a chapter dedicated to the movie and a couple of Gerry pictures as Phantom

• 2 months later...

Thanks for that; I left my comment...she sang well but no one can take the place of our Gerry..with those eyes that both threaten and adore...and a dangerous character just beneath the surface...hmmm

Thanks for that; I left my comment...she sang well but no one can take the place of our Gerry..with those eyes that both threaten and adore...and a dangerous character just beneath the surface...hmmm

I totally agree. I've said it countless times before and I'll say it again. Yes, those four have the stage voice a lot of people look for, but none of them captured the deep layers upon layers of emotion and character that make up who the Phantom is. Gerry did not need a trained voice because let's face it--Erik wouldn't have been a trained singer either...he would have been self-taught. Gerry's voice was absolutely perfect for this role...particularly during 'Music of the Night'...I've heard singers practically shout that song when it's supposed to be quiet, soothing, calm, "oh so sweet and tender"*ahem*...Gerry got that.

And don't even get me started on his eyes...ok too late. That line 'that both threaten and adore' describes them perfectly...when I look into GERRY phantom's eyes, even in the promo photos and posters, I don't see Gerry. I see Erik. So many times his performance has been the inspiration for my phan fics....especially when I'm rehashing movie events. All I need to do is look into his eyes in any particular shot, and I can see what Erik is thinking.

Although I will admit Gerry is and will always be my favorite Phantom, in all fairness, you can't compare a stage performance to that of one on film. The live performance is raw and the one on film can be doctored and mixed by the assistence of technology. Gerry did not always need to belt it out like is required on stage and as far as facial expressions, we were allowed to get up close and personal to Gerry's face via close in shots while the other Phantoms are at a distance. I'm sure they all made wonderful Phantoms and Nicole did an excellent job as well! Too bad Gerry didn't get to join them on stage and do his version! I'll bet he'd gotten a standing ovation!

Delene

Edited by GBPhanatic