Gerard Butler GALS

10/3 - Prepping for the Oscars

Prepping For The Oscars

Excerpt:

The real surprise coming from the Shakespeare stuff this year, though, is Gerard Butler. Yes. You read that right. Gerard. Butler. AA was thoroughly impressed with him in Coriolanus, and though Butler seems to be trying to get a leading actor nomination for Machine Gun Preacher, AA thinks he’d be better spending his time campaigning for Coriolanus and a supporting nod. Early reviews of both movies are in line with this thinking and can I just—GERARD BUTLER, OSCAR NOMINEE. Oh god, please let this happen. I can trade the inevitable shame for the entertainment value of GERARD BUTLER, OSCAR NOMINEE. Of course, the real lesson here is that Supporting Actor is going to be the “weakest” of the acting categories and thus be open for the most surprises.

Read Entire Article HERE

Wouldn't it be something if Gerry got a nom for best supporting for Coriolanus and won? And what if he also got a nom for best actor for MGP and won? How hard would he be to live with? He'd be hiring a special stylist to select the best trucker cap for him to wear each day! :spit:

Delene

I resent them saying Gerry is campaigning for ANY Oscar. That's not his style at all. I'd be willing to bet that he would be thrilled to win, but that he won't be actively seeking an Oscar.

Suzie

DH and I talked about this very thing after seeing MGP. DH is convinced that if GB is nominated he'll never be able to get me down from the stratosphere. And if he won...well, let's hope I can afford an automatic defibrillator.....

I would be very surprised if Gerry was nominated for an Oscar for either movie in either category. When was the last time you saw a Hollywood "hunk" get an Oscar? I remember what happened to Clark Gable, who should have won for "Gone With the Wind" and Paul Newman in many roles he did. The list goes on. "Hunks" do not get Oscars. We didn't give Gerry that title but the media has and it has stuck and has hurt Gerry's credibility as an actor. Notice how many people have been surprised at Gerry's performance in MGP and Coriolanus. Most Hollywood critics just think of Gerry as a "hunk" not an actor. We know different. Hollywood is very political and they vote accordingly. Right now Hollywood likes English actors.

I agree with Suzie, the last thing Gerry is thinking about is an Oscar. He is just trying to sell his movie to the public.

~HUGS~ Kathy

Kathy, wasn't Colin Firth considered a "hunk" or maybe still is? Maybe he dehunkafied and thusly then qualified for his Oscar. Sometimes good looks gets in the way of being taken serious. I know this for a fact because people think I'm a joke all the time! :lmao:

Delene

Maybe we could design an award called a "Gerry" and award it only to Hollywood hunks that wouldn't get recognized any other way. And IF, during the nominations for a "Gerry", someone nominates anyone whose last name rhymes with "loony", I will have to scream a little.

Suzie

(I know here on GALS we aren't supposed to bad mouth anyone we don't like, but can we make an exception for anyone whose last name rhymes with "loony"? I really didn't mention any names, right?)

I personally don't have anything against the certain actor you're referring to Suzie, but so far, in my opinion, his current movie which is receiving Oscar buzz isn't really a huge acting stretch. I admit I'm quite biased for Mr. Butler, but Gerry truly deserves the Oscar for his role in Machine Gun Preacher(and hopefully for Supporting Actor in Coriolanus)....That would probably be an Oscar first for the same actor to win both Supporting and Lead Actor in the same year. Gerry really dug deep and pulled out his best performance while the other actor didn't. THIS is Gerry's year to receive the respect and recognition he deserves. He's not just a pretty face. He was born to be actor and I'm so thankful he realized too before it was too late to turn his life around. Even the not-so-good movies, he gives 110% effort and always makes the character his own to the point where you can't imagine anyone else in that role. :wuv::bow:

Just my five cents...LOL

If this is something Gerry wants, then I want it for him. Other than that, I can't get on the Oscar wagon just yet. If he gets nominated, hell yeah I'll be rooting for him and making an Oscar party to watch, but there's so much more before then. The GGs, the SAG Awards, etc.

I'm looking to the award season with cautious optimism. :) I can only put out the vibe of whatever Gerry wants, I hope he gets it.

Lisa

I seriously think he'd love to have one and get that kind of acknowledgement from his peers but I don't think it keeps him up at night. I think it's more about telling good stories, the ones he wants too the way he wants to do it.

Didn't he become a member of the Academy lately?

Still, I think we should all pitch in and send him a tee shirt that says, "I attended the Oscars and all I got was this lousy T shirt!", just in case! :spit:

Delene

If Gerry were to win an Oscar, it would at least get rid of the "aaaaaand" in front of his name.

"Nim's Island starring Oscar winner JODI FOSTER aaaaaaand Gerard Butler"

"PS: I Love You starring Oscar winner HILLARY SWANK aaaaaaand Gerard Butler"

LOL!!

Suzie

I soooooo agree Suz! And BTW....when he was asked about winning an Oscar (I can't remember who's show it was) he sounded to me that he wouldn't mind one bit! He made an off the wall joke but I actually think it would be a very proud moment in his life! I hope and pray the day comes when I can sit in front of the TV and cry my eyes out while he accepts his Golden statue!! We know he very well deserves it....but as Suz say's ....we have a loony and an itt to contend with! :p

:wave: JMHO Frannie

Edited by ladyfran

I think every actor wants an oscar for their work.

Well, let's hope for once that the members of the Academy Awards choose the nominees based on thei skills and not their popularity.

They already choose last year a great actor so maybe this year.

Although I think an award where the normal people can vote, counts a lot too. As we (normal) people are the ones who actually have to buy their ticket instead of seeing it for free