Gerard Butler GALS

CALL TO ARMS FOR TEAM GERRY

heISmyGspot

All we can do is our part to see that this film gets distribution and much better marketing, but we have to remember, we don't know everything that's going on behind the scenes. I personally don't understand how Beverly Hills Chihuahua can get better distribution and marketing than MGP, but other than continue with our grass roots campaign and let our voices be heard, I don't know what to do.

We appreciate each and every one of you who have been so diligent in this campaign!

HOLLA!!

It doesn't completely take away my skepticism, but I'm part of a team and I will do whatever I can to help Gerry and MGP. If it works I'll be dancing in the streets. :music:

Lisa

I wholeheartedly agree with this statement. Althought, I prefer not to think of this as "my" fight, but "our" fight. The bottom line, for me, is that it doesn't cost me anything to send out some emails and watch the vid of a film I have every intention of seeing given the opportunity. If it helps, then "YAY, for me!" If it doesn't, then, so what. (My friends and family already think I'm insane and keep waiting for this "Gerard Butler 'phase'" to pass anyway! :rotflmao: (And my TRUE friends are GALS and are clicking right along with me!) :highfive:

Kathy, I have no information to either confirm or deny your suspicions, but I share your position. Something HAS to be amiss. Personally speaking, I expected this kind of crap from LIONSGATE and was OVER THE MOON when Relativity took over. I mean, Gerry was in Ryan Kavanaugh's freaking wedding party FFS. How much more connection does he need?! Which just proves to me there's a LOT more to this than having friends in high places! I cannot begin to fathom the degree of complicated tap dancing that has occurred, and that IS occurring, behind the scenes. However, as we've seen before (Beowulf, Shattered, Rocknrolla), this is the nature of the beast.

As for having films pulled before even getting there, it happened all over the northwest during LAC. (In fact, a theater owner I befriended on Twitter donated the "wasted" promotional items to the convention for auctioning. :p This particular owner was "courted" by distributors and committed to the film, only to find out the week of release he wouldn't be receiving a copy, leaving him to scramble to fill the screen.)

Feel free to RESPECTFULLY "vent." I'll be sending a link to this thread. :kisswink:

Hol

ETA: GOOD POINT, MOIRA!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holly, I am aware of all the hard work you have personally put in on the MGP promotion, and I am sure all the GALS and other fans appreciate it. I did not mean to imply otherwise. I guess that after following Gerry's career for the past 7 years, because I still have no knowledge or understanding about the shadowed world of the film industry, the intrigue and secrecy all begins to seem so pointless and silly. I hope YOUR passionate efforts, and those of other devoted fans will NOT be in vain.

Swannie

Holly, I am aware of all the hard work you have personally put in on the MGP promotion, and I am sure all the GALS and other fans appreciate it. I did not mean to imply otherwise. I guess that after following Gerry's career for the past 7 years, because I still have no knowledge or understanding about the shadowed world of the film industry, the intrigue and secrecy all begins to seem so pointless and silly. I hope YOUR passionate efforts, and those of other devoted fans will NOT be in vain.

Swannie

GALFRIEND, you didn't make any such implication!! (At least not that I read :lmao:) As for being "in vain," from your fingertips to God's Ears. But you know what? Even if the efforts are "in vain," I'm having fun tapping into something I'm passionate about and doing so amid my closest friends and I've made great new friends in the process!!! I've already WON! :pointy:

I've had the following phrase rattling around in my head the last few days. I have no recollection of who taught it to me OR if I'm even remembering the phrase correctly (as the grammar is horrific); it goes back to my EARLY childhood (maybe 10 or so). It's amazing to me that it's floated to the surface at this particular time in my life as I'd not thought about it in decades. But somewhere along the way, I learned, "Ours is not to question when or why. Ours is but to answer what and how."

On a personal note: Gerry's performance in this film pulled out all the stops where his skills and actor's "gut" were concerned, and I could not be more proud of him. I'm so sick and tired of folks sizing up his depth (or lack thereof) as an actor based on films like TBH, LAC and others, because as many of us saw early in his career, there is a lot more to him than what's represented in some of his bigger Hollywood pictures that were well promoted and widely distributed. MGP brought out the talent and depth that has always been there, and I just want everyone to see what he is truly capable of.

Swannie

I have four computers in my house, all having different IP addresses (they don't access the internet through a hub; they access directly from the cable modem). I'm gonna fire up all three, bookmark the link and click from each one several times a day. I have left comments and will continue to do so but in such a way that they don't get flagged as spam. I've encouraged my colleagues and friends to click and comment away.

I finally had a chance to go through this thread. Hollywood has been, continues to be and probably will remain the textbook definition of the "Good Ole Boys Network". It ain't about how good a film is; it's about.....well let's just say that if you don't bow down to the big boys you are SOL. TBH and LAC got huge amounts of publicity and I have yet to see much of anything as far as advertising is concerned for this movie. Plenty of clips during cast interviews, but not much else.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but I thought I'd throw my 2 cents into the wishing well. Every penny is one cent closer to the jackpot....

I do not understand what is going on here, but I am very disappointed in how PR for MGP has been handled. First we were asked to view and comment on one video, and now we find that that particular video has been blocked and we are asked to do the same on a different link. Why? What happened? When I saw MGP last week the only people in the theater were me, my hubby, and my 2 friends. That's it. I have seen no print ads in our local paper and the trailer has not played once in my area. I don't care how much fan support we get behind this movie...if it's not promoted by the studio/PTB, folks are not going to see it. Hate to be negative, but I think Gerry and this film deserve much better than a fan driven youtube campaign.

Swannie

I agree, I think someone is playing us for fools with this YOUTUBE business. If Relativity does not want to distribute the movie wider all of the clicks on a YOUTUBE video won't make a bit of difference. We can't advertise it ourselves and that is what is needed to get the word out. We are too few in the big picture.

~HUGS~ Kathy

I agree. Something isn't right, and I hope we're not being made to look like fools. I don't know what to think of this whole thing anymore. I'm just very grateful I got to see it, but I know SO MANY people who want to but can't. It's truly a shame, and in the long-run it's Gerry I feel the worst for.

I'm still holding out hope it'll come up here, but it doesn't look good.

Lisa

I too agree with a lot of what you all are saying, however, my take on it is that WE do NOT know what's going on behind the scenes here. As the guy from Carmike Theater's chain told me, he's requested the film but it's distribution is entirely up to the distributor and that it's mostly all about it's earning potential at the boxoffice. My question then is why then can they not expect a poor turnout if they HAVEN'T ADVERTISED IT on television and at the movie houses?? That's what's frustrating and puzzling to me!

I also contacted Dickenson and AMC but have not gotten back replies except that AMC already has had requests for the film in more of their theaters and says they have it in limited release in their theaters at this point and HOPE to get it wider. That's all they can do right now.

This film also has the potential for being very controversial as well! There may be things out of the realm of the "Industry" stifling the film's release at this point that we would not be privy to (hopefully not) and may be the reason for the retraction of the film in certain areas. Retracting a film doesn't make any sense to me other then the ticket sales aren't offsetting the cost to show it but if nobody knows about, why would they see it?

Timing is sometimes everything as well and there may be a reason to hold back on a wider release at this point in time for very simple reasons as well that have to do more with marketing, awards season, etc. Who knows. I get a headache trying to think about it so I don't!

I hope Gerry's not letting it bug him too much either so he can move on to OMAM now. He's done his part and so has everyone involved in making the movie. It's up to the so called "powers" to do the right thing, which seems isn't always what is done in the business sadly. Gerry is always going to be a man who follows his heart and his gut, for better or for the worse and I admire him for that. HW may try to "mold" him in to what they deem a more marketable image and product for their purposes but I hope he stays true to his own visions.

I have "clicked" and posted my comments like a good little GAL and contacted the theater people and other then praying to the Gods to make everything come out for the good, my job now seems to be patiently waiting the outcome and keeping my toes and fingers crossed.

Delene

I am not as cynical as some. If you look at many of the films that have won Oscars they have had very small box office numbers and very limited releases. I am not expecting that our efforts are going to get this movie opened in hundreds of theaters (it would be great if it did). But what we don't always know is what the greater purpose may be of something like this. It has already gotten the film opened in more theaters than originally planned - especially more in the heartland of the country. I have little doubt that even among the small numbers who are getting to see this film that there are people whose lives will be changed by it. There are people who might be inspired to make a change, get clean and sober, find their way to God, or be inspired to make a difference in the lives of people somewhere in the world. The ripple effect of that pebble in the pond is beyond our comprehension. For that reason alone I'm willing to do whatever is asked of us to possibly get this film seen in one more theater, by one more person, who might make a difference we'll never know about.

I've done my part with this rally to get Gerry's movie out there more. I have never cleared my cache, cookies and browsing history as much as I have lately in order to get my clicks to count. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't but I kept trying, all for Gerry. I also commented on the original video many times. Last night I did the same on the new trailer video. I won't stop because I have not been a member of GALS for almost five years to step back now. BUT, I'm still so mad and heartbroken for Gerry. He finally has a movie where the critics have praised him for his performance and people are blocking it from a wider distribution. If you think this movie is going to be tough wait until Coriolanus comes out and it doesn't came to this country at all. I've already heard the excuse that Americans will not go to this movie because we are not into Shakespeare. Hogwash! It is going to be a LONG haul ladies with these two movies and they are Gerry's best movies in a long time from what I have heard. I hope Moira is right and this gets award nominations, although how can it if people don't see it and the powers to be don't have respect for it, and it is re-released. That's our only hope.

I am driving to Boulder, Colorado Thursday to see this movie for myself. I can no longer count on it to get closer to me.

~HUGS~ Kathy

I'm driving to Leawood, Kansas tomorrow to see MGP and then I will give my honest opinion.

I'm excited! But I'm afraid to wait for it to come to the theaters in our neck of the woods.

All this fuss and worry could be for nothing as this may be some grand plan to work up to awards time where any noms or awards would get it the attention it needs. I saw Hurt Locker and The King's Speech after they won their awards.

Delene

I'm driving to Leawood, Kansas tomorrow to see MGP and then I will give my honest opinion.

I'm excited! But I'm afraid to wait for it to come to the theaters in our neck of the woods.

All this fuss and worry could be for nothing as this may be some grand plan to work up to awards time where any noms or awards would get it the attention it needs. I saw Hurt Locker and The King's Speech after they won their awards.

Delene

I hope and pray that you are right Delene.

~HUGS~ Kathy

Kathy - glad you are going to Boulder. I had planned to go last Saturday, but the rain stopped me. The rest of this week is filled - so I won't get to see it. I think it plays only through Friday. Enjoy.

BlueJean

Kathy it has already played to the Guilds concerned who would vote come award time to enable it to be eligible for SAG, Oscar, Bafta, Producers, Directors and Writers Guild of America. Most of these screenings had Q&As and were packed so it is being seen by the people they want. Relativity will send out screener DVDs to all members too. As has been pointed out very few films nominated make lots at box office. A prime example is this year's A Winter's Bone that got 2 of it's stars Oscar nominations but had hardly any distribution. If MGP gets any nominations it can only help towards giving it legs later on.

Moira

Kathy it has already played to the Guilds concerned who would vote come award time to enable it to be eligible for SAG, Oscar, Bafta, Producers, Directors and Writers Guild of America. Most of these screenings had Q&As and were packed so it is being seen by the people they want. Relativity will send out screener DVDs to all members too. As has been pointed out very few films nominated make lots at box office. A prime example is this year's A Winter's Bone that got 2 of it's stars Oscar nominations but had hardly any distribution. If MGP gets any nominations it can only help towards giving it legs later on.

Moira

Hi, Moira,

I have heard MGP is being shown in the UK Cineworld chain of cinemas from 4th November 2011 - will you be able to see it?

I intend to see it in my local Glasgow cineworld where 'LAC's premiere was shown in November 2009.

I havent seen any advertising for the film here either, have you? It seems disappointing and the London private Bafta screening last month wasnt reported in our Press either.

I would imagine though that it will do well on DVD when it comes out and in the meantime as you say I hope it gets legs.

cheers,

Mirin

I understand that it's also listed in the forthcoming movies on the website for the UK Odeon nationwide chain.

It looks as though the UK can maybe hope for a much wider distribution.

Moira

I can only hope you're right, Mo. For THIS film, it's my position that the "awards" are bullshit. Virtually EVERYONE outside of the "industry bubble" knows the awards machine is bought and paid for by a SELECT FEW -- most of whom have NO CLUE as to what the average movie goer deems "award worthy." Awards season is only a reason for Hollywood "friends" to play dress up, espouse whatever political agenda they're promoting and "network." Is this "courting ritual" any value to movers and shakers? Definitely! Does it mean anything to me? No. (With the exception of Gerry's "presenter appearance," I haven't watched the any award shows since Richard Gere went off the "Tibetan" deep end eons ago.) And I don't recall EVER going to see a film because "it got an award." (For me, the award just tells me (1) the film had a great "awards" marketing machine (which, based on the promotion of this film OUTSIDE of the awards market, I tend to question their ability to promote within the awards closet) and/or (2) the Academy/Foreign Press/Whoever decided (a) someone was "due" for a shout out AND/OR it would somehow financially benefit them to give a particular person or film the "nod."

I can't skirt around the "religious" aspect of the point about to make and I, in no way, intend to breach our Guidelines by bringing up the topic. But, as a Christian, my passion for this particular film has NOTHING to do with whether Gerry or anyone associated with MGP gets an award. And, although I have NO idea what Gerry's true drive was in making this one, I cannot bring myself to believe that when he was pouring out his soul in the back of his mind he was thinking, "Make it good, Gerry. 'These ones here' are gonna get you an Oscar." I PREFER to believe that, based on Gerry's documented history of philanthropic efforts in Haiti, Kids Kicking Cancer, Scottish Youth Theater, GALS! etc., that his drive for getting this one to the big screen was for THE MOST PEOPLE TO SEE THE FILM and GET any one of the VARIOUS and NUMEROUS messages detailed by Missus Sporran, above. On a more cynical note, I also have trouble believing that distributors don't want to make the money which can't happen if the film is NOT IN THEATERS. And not just ANY theaters -- but theaters where the film will be well-received.

My only hope in this regard is that one day, after all the awards are won, all the unexpected ticket sales are tallied and record-breaking DVD (with EXCLUSIVE GERRY INTERVIEWS AND OUTTAKES) sales are collected, that I am able to look back, realize the error of my ways and genuinely apologize to those currently the subject of my ire. :p

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25sM_72wEBI?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25sM_72wEBI?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

"too agree with a lot of what you all are saying, however, my take on it is that WE do NOT know what's going on behind the scenes here. As the guy from Carmike Theater's chain told me, he's requested the film but it's distribution is entirely up to the distributor and that it's mostly all about it's earning potential at the boxoffice. My question then is why then can they not expect a poor turnout if they HAVEN'T ADVERTISED IT on television and at the movie houses?? That's what's frustrating and puzzling to me!"

This is my concern! I have to say I am happy to be part of team Gerry and have been doing what I can to hopefully make a difference but still..... the problem that I see is this movie is not getting any TV, newspapers, or air time of any sort! As I said the theater that I went to didn't even have a poster up?? I will continue to hit the link and leave my comment....it couldn't hurt! ;)

:wave: Frannie

Edited by ladyfran

Well, I'm a tad confused as to where to click to watch MGP - so that it will count. When I click the one that is now posted on this thread I do not get a count.........is this the one we are supposed to use now?

BlueJean

It doesn't make sense to make a movie, work hard on it then all that happens is it goes to a few theaters with little to no promotion. That wouldn't seem to make much money for anybody in that regard or break even!

I don't understand much about the business and their strategies so even though I may feel concerned at this time, I have to trust that they know what they are doing and something else is at play here. The way I see it is that they have test marketed it out to get a feel or response for different regions or areas because of it's content and subject matter when awards time comes which I feel does stimulate more interest in films, it will then come out in the expected fashion....or not and just go to DVD.

I have heard that it was pulled from some theaters that were scheduled to show it. That concerns me a little bit. What's up with that? I also thought that since things have changed over in Sudan now that perhaps Sam's work is changing and they want to address that issue at the end of the film like in a follow up addendum to what has transpired as of late and how it will affect the future.

Delene

All this time I've been sitting here seething at Relativity -- unable to connect the dots. As we've all said repeatedly, "it doesn't make sense." I THINK my stars just aligned -- what if VIRGIN PRODUCED is the fly in the urntment? Outside of a few "tweets," they've been AWFUL quiet in the social media... I wonder if they're unwilling to promote this one and, as a result, causing probs for distributors...

:hmm:

All this time I've been sitting here seething at Relativity -- unable to connect the dots. As we've all said repeatedly, "it doesn't make sense." I THINK my stars just aligned -- what if VIRGIN PRODUCED is the fly in the urntment? Outside of a few "tweets," they've been AWFUL quiet in the social media... I wonder if they're unwilling to promote this one and, as a result, causing probs for distributors...

:hmm:

Interesting point Holly. Now that you mention it Virgin Produced has been awfully quit on Twitter. Hmm......

I've left several comments and tried going straight thru you tube to raise the count. It seemed to stay on the same count. Does anyone know what is going on. I heard that Relativity pulled the film from some sites that had already received it. Just wanted to know b/c I'm very upset there was not one trailer on TV and it is not getting any press of any kind. I think that would help a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

It's going to DVD and Pay Per View according to my theater manager as of Wednesday. I've called him about every week all month. It had been listed as going to the Baxter in Louisville when there was a long of places where it would be opening on the 14th. Of course we know that changed. The Baxter had been listing it as a coming attraction for some weeks. Then last week it was not listed there, so I called him again and that's what he told me he had been told. :(