Gerard Butler GALS

What Soothes Your "Savage Beast?"

So, I’m here at work listening to my tunes (Luther Vandross is on right now) and I was thinking of the last time I was at the ocean and how soothing that was for me.

I was wondering, when you are at your most stressed, where do you go – either in your mind or for real – to soothe your savage beast?

:hugs:

Dr. Em

Guest greyeyegoddess

Sometimes I go for a drive... :cool:

Sometimes I go shopping... :wideeyes:

Many times I go to the gym.... :cheer:

and many more times, I see what's going on here... ::D:

So, I’m here at work listening to my tunes (Luther Vandross is on right now) and I was thinking of the last time I was at the ocean and how soothing that was for me.

I was wondering, when you are at your most stressed, where do you go – either in your mind or for real – to soothe your savage beast?

Dr. Em

Dr. Em,

Your query comes at the perfect time for me.

Right now, my stress level is rising on a daily basis. I am directing a play for an opening date of April 26 and this one is testing me to levels I have never been tested before. My actors are wonderful, I love them all, currently, we shall see. But I am about to embark on my next challenge, talking tech. Don't get me wrong, the tech crew is great, but this time they are really up for a true test of their abilities and imaginations. Cue-to-cue should be volcanic!!

At times like this, I head for the scotch and LOUD music pumped to 'oh my God'. If that doesn't work, I head for the gym and then do at least 20 laps in the pool. A class in stage combat also works wonders.

Then I'm ready to face the next 'one'.

By the way, I have a picture of 'Atilla' pasted on the inside cover of my script and beautiful 'Dear Frankie' and 'Atilla' keyrings that I carry with me, for inspiration, of course.

Cailleach

::D: Love the beach but am not close to one at present...

I really my Music and my stereo !!!!

Love nature and animals.. would go to a zoo everyday if I could...or walk in the forest..

Also love, love to go the movies and lose myself for a couple of hours.. I usually cry, laugh and get completely lost in the whole emotion of it all... always works for me..

Love to catch up with friends too!!! Miss the ones that have moved recently.. so faraway!!

Edited by aussierose

i put in my ipod, and go for a drive. since i don't smoke anymore i have had to limit my driving late at night, the first thing i want to do is get a pack. So i go to the garage and play darts, i read, i take long stomping walks around the neighborhoos ( at 4 am seeing me marching like a mad woman singing " Let me Entertain you" by Robbie Williams is quite a comical sight), i do yoga at strange hours of the night, it energises me, but it also releases so much stress. or more often than not I come online and Laugh with my chat buddies, We have a great group fo supportive gals and everyone of you are in my thoughts, some of you have weasled your way into my heart.

Even Perrin lol

I go to the Gym and do cardio for sometimes an hour and then lift. Or I take a very long hot bubble bath and read a book. Shopping is also a great stress reliever..think Banana Republic, Arden B., Lucky Jeans Company, Nieman Marcus, Bebe and Barnes and Noble...and Manolo Blahnik....and writing. Horse back riding or hangng out at the place I ride is cool to there is something calming and cathartic about horses. Since I live so close to beaches and the ocean its not as big a deal for me but I am sure when we move this summer I'll miss it more.

Hmm, what do I do when I really need to release stress, well being that I'm a stress case, probably breathe :lol:

Lose myself in a good book, take a long, hot shower, with music blasting in the background! Alot of times I just hide out and play with my favourite horse, let her chew on my shirt and stuff, i guess that's the main one, my relationship with my horses is a huge stress reliever, and because it's at work, it makes it easier!!

Today Queenie and I were dancing to Eminem, for example, well I was doing most of the dancing really...

D

Well dummy me! I forgot to tell you what does it for me….

When I am stressed, I dance. That gets the endorphins going again. And as many of you know, I love my hot baths, complete with candles, music and lights out. When I am soaking in my bath, I like to zone out - completely zone out. I just feel and get in touch with my senses. That allows my mind to relax and to be creative. I get some of my best ideas while relaxing in the tub.

I also love to read and escape reality – even if only for a short time. About a year ago, I went to a hypnotherapist and learned how to relax and he would tell me to think of a place which is soothing to me. A beach is always where I find myself. I have a very clear picture of a white sandy beach with lava rocks on the left of the beach and palm trees on the right – very secluded. I’m lying on the beach and just soaking in the ambiance and gathering strength from the greatness of the ocean.

*Le Sigh*

Dr. Em

When I am stressed out to my limit I gab. I get on the phone and talk it out. Usually with my mother because she is so wise and always sees the good in things. If I am stressed about the kids she reminds me of how healthy and happy they are. If she is not available I call a friend or my cousin Deanna. If that doesn't work.....I TAKE A SHOT OF VODKA! :bleh:

Uhh, I run screaming from the village and I come here.

Otherwise, I go fishing by myself (BTW - love your siggie,Gabriel) or I go play with my tools in MY garage - I usually make lamps or birdhouses...; I've also been known to cross-stitch.

Dr. Em

Hi, Dr. Em. The actual quote is "Music hath charms to quell the savage breast," meaning that music can help relax us during stressful times.

For me, it's almost always classical tunes that do this.

Dr. Em

Hi, Dr. Em. The actual quote is "Music hath charms to quell the savage breast," meaning that music can help relax us during stressful times.

For me, it's almost always classical tunes that do this.

Wow Fiona!

I hadn't heard that quote before! My music of choice is usally a soundtrack. I have "Meet Joe Black," "Everafter," "Braveheart," "Titanic," "Forrest Gump," "Somewhere In Time," "Legends of the Fall," oh, I just have too many to mention! I prefer those which are just instrumentals as I tend to want to sing when they have words and then I don't get the meditation time in. Currently I'm hooked on the "Meet Joe Black" soundtrack, but after watching "Pride and Prejudice" last night, I think I need to buy that soundtrack.

Of course, when I'm not in the tub, I listen to whatever I can sing to!

Dr. Em

When stress levels are high

Which is pretty offten i clean house while i sing to my fav music

Cooking/Baking another great way i get rid of stress

Mostly i think these things help because i'm not thinking about the problem just on a clean house or on the recipe before me

and when all is said and done i love to escape into a book

Wow Fiona!

I hadn't heard that quote before! My music of choice is usally a soundtrack. I have "Meet Joe Black," "Everafter," "Braveheart," "Titanic," "Forrest Gump," "Somewhere In Time," "Legends of the Fall," oh, I just have too many to mention! I prefer those which are just instrumentals as I tend to want to sing when they have words and then I don't get the meditation time in. Currently I'm hooked on the "Meet Joe Black" soundtrack, but after watching "Pride and Prejudice" last night, I think I need to buy that soundtrack.

Dr. Em

It's Percy Bysshe Shelley ... I just can't remember which poem it's in, LOL.

I love soundtracks as well. I am particularly fond of the soundtrack to "Dear Frankie," which is in my car all of the time. The nice piano music makes a good counterpoint to a stressful commute. :stranger:

Wow Fiona!

Dr. Em

It's Percy Bysshe Shelley ... I just can't remember which poem it's in, LOL.

I love soundtracks as well. I am particularly fond of the soundtrack to "Dear Frankie," which is in my car all of the time. The nice piano music makes a good counterpoint to a stressful commute. :stranger:

I have DF as well. I play it at work - which is where I tend to get the most stressed. :;):

Dr. Em

Lang...quiet..peascfull..walks....

Lang train rids gaun nae whar.....juist riding.....

Gabriel....

:erikrose:

something you said caught my eye. One of the most relaxing times i have had in the past 5 years was taking a train ride from Glasgow to Egremont. Even thought i was stressed to the point of being ill, I will remember just losing myself looking out the window, grey skys passing by and rain blowing against the glass. Lots of people, so much noise, sleepy children, but just looking out the window recharged me.

I would have to add train rides to nowhere while in Scotland and the Lake district. Or walking in feb through the fells of Cumbria, i even like the rain.

Ta Gabriel, I needed the remembrance.

Jes

For me when I'm stressed I SCREAM!!! :woo: Really loud. I deal with the public all day and wo be tide their bloody cell phone goes wrong , I get yelled at!!. So I fume in my back office grab my coat and scream into it!!

If I'm in my car I sing at the top of my voice, to sooth me, I meditate with a candle or hold clear quartz and imagine it sucking my bad energy out.

If i'm really upset I switch off and watch a Ger-Bear flick to get me back on tract always puts a smile on my face.

The gym soothes me as I get to think but it's not what I do if I'm fuming

That's my two cents !! lol

A room lit with dozens of scented candles.... soft music playing in the background (DF, The Passion Of The Christ, worship music, or the Classics, to name a few) Cats nestled on the furniture, My husband in his chair, and me in mine... sipping our coffee and chatting in the evening.

Gathering with friends for prayer, food and fellowship on the weekend.

Walking with my husband through our neighborhood park.

Swimming in the Summer and early Fall.

Trips to Lost Lake... walking beneath the cathedral of fir branches, then enjoying hot homemade soup and yummy bread at the picnic table.

Shopping trips downtown on a crisp and clear autumn day.

Gabbing with my GALS and PAL.

Playing my guitar and singing on my back patio.

Watching BlueEyedDaisy's Phantom video: "Floating High Above"

Writing my book

Reading

Going camping

Making love (can also stir up the savage beast... depending ::D: ).

Swan

wen i get frustrated,cuz i dont get stressed,i write in my diary about why im so frustrated.that, and i listen to Pachelbel *composer*.the music sooths me while i write.and then i take a shower and sleep it off... :cool:

Love,

Jessica :kisswink:

A lot of times when I'm stressed I'll go shopping that always makes me feel better, unfortunatly it's gettting too expensive!! Lately I listen to my Ipod and workout or go for a long walk.

Awwwwwwwwww to relax! Well, I like music. It sooths me the most. I listen to different kinds. My favorite is *Josh Groban*, *Yo Yo Ma*. I love, to listen to the cello or violin. It calms me down , and helps me to unwind. :butterfly:

Being a Lic. Massage Therapist, I get to work in a somewhat relaxing environment. I love that. :mopboymarek:

Suzette :bonnie: :stranger:

• 3 weeks later...

Definitely listening to music does it for me! Luther is my all time favorite and always has been!! When my boys were babies....and they wouldn't go to sleep.....I'd put on Luther and either Rock them or slow dance with them!! So, I equate Luther with the most peaceful times in my life!

Music, both performing and listening. if I'm in a REALLY black mood, I'll sit in front f my piano and bang stuff out for a couple of hours. I've also got a program that allows me to create sheet music, and I'll make some little melody there too.

as far as albums go, I LOVE LOVE LOVE DF! <3 esp the final letter.

also, "This is the Moment" form Jekyll and Hyde lets me blow off steam-as well as "No Good Deed" from WICKED.

I run a lot to releave physical stress

and cody, my precious boy always puts me in a good mood.

Posted Image

• 2 months later...