Gerard Butler GALS
GBPhanatic

Possible role for Gerry?

Warner Bros. is doing a film version of "The Man from U.N.C.L.E." based on the popular TV series from the sixties. Steven Soderbergh will be directing and George Clooney was originally signed on to play the part of Napoleon Solo but had to back out due to the physical problems. Bradley Cooper was then in line but just dropped out because of scheduling conflicts I believe.

I was thinking this would be a great role for Gerry. It's sort of the American version of "James Bond" if anyone remembers the original show. Robert Vaughn played Napoleon Solo and David McCallum was Illya Kuriyakin.

So just for fun, what do you think?

Delene

Wouldn't that be fun! I l-o-v-e-d The Man from U.N.C.L.E.

I'm guessing Gerry would pass on this though.

Wouldn't that be fun! I l-o-v-e-d The Man from U.N.C.L.E.

I'm guessing Gerry would pass on this though.

OMG! When I was in high school I was in love with Napoleon Solo.

That show was the first "spy" show on TV. I was heart broken

when it got cancelled. It would be a lot of fun though.

But I think Gerry would pass on it.

Debbie

I'm actually thinking he would pass on it too, Barb, but you never know. It's sort of going to have a bit of a comic edge to it more then the serious side like JB. And Ger would have to do the American accent which he's probably getting pretty good at by now playing Sam and Frosty and then American military in his upcoming roles. Thought it might be a fun one and a bit different then the kind of characters he's played in the past and you know how he likes to try new things. I can't think of a role he's done that is similar to this. Might make up for the whole Sherlock Holmes thing........*ehumm*.

Delene

NO NO NO NO. Please no ... I personally have an aversion to remakes so my answer is NO.

JMHO.

Lisa

Well "Mission Impossible" did pretty well for Tom Cruise! So far that's three to the "yes" and one "hell to the NO"! :D

Thanks for your always honest and pure un-sugarcoated input, Lisa! :spit:

Delene

NO NO NO NO. Please no ... I personally have an aversion to remakes so my answer is NO.

JMHO.

Lisa

Well "Mission Impossible" did pretty well for Tom Cruise! So far that's three to the "yes" and one "hell to the NO"! :D

Thanks for your always honest and pure un-sugarcoated input, Lisa! :spit:

Delene

Did you expect everyone to agree? :) And your response of Tom Cruise and MI ... well, pretty much proves my point. :rotflmao:

If they ever did propose it to Gerry; I doubt he would take it; mainly because of that "Bond" rumor that ran amok. This would be like accepting the second prize because they nixed him on that role. I never liked that show and thought it was too much like "get smart". I prefer Gerry in heavier roles; more menacing characters. But then it is just a rumor sooo, :detect:

If they ever did propose it to Gerry; I doubt he would take it; mainly because of that "Bond" rumor that ran amok. This would be like accepting the second prize because they nixed him on that role. I never liked that show and thought it was too much like "get smart". I prefer Gerry in heavier roles; more menacing characters. But then it is just a rumor sooo, :detect:

I don't think Gerry was ever offered the James Bond role was he? I think that was just a rumor that got out of hand. I don't know if he's been offered this role either. It's still up for grabs as far as I know.

Lisa, you didn't like Mission Impossible? There's a third one coming out you know! Must be doing something right! ;)

Delene

Lisa, you didn't like Mission Impossible? There's a third one coming out you know! Must be doing something right! ;)

Delene

It sure is ... appealing to mindless spoon-fed American movie audiences who can't see past what they're told they should like. Doesn't mean it's good cinema.

I don't think Gerry was ever offered the James Bond role was he? I think that was just a rumor that got out of hand. I don't know if he's been offered this role either. It's still up for grabs as far as I know.

Delene

mainly because of that "Bond" rumor that ran amok.

Yes Delene; it was a rumor that got out of hand when the UK tabloids said that Gerry was offered the role. On an interview with Craig Ferguson he said that his mother called him to say she saw a picture of him dressed like James bond but it was a photo shop production; placing his head on the body of Bond. He told her that he wasn't going around touting to be Bond; that it was the UK rags that printed those words...and "He HATED them for it"...

Delene

mainly because of that "Bond" rumor that ran amok.

Yes Delene; it was a rumor that got out of hand when the UK tabloids said that Gerry was offered the role. On an interview with Craig Ferguson he said that his mother called him to say she saw a picture of him dressed like James bond but it was a photo shop production; placing his head on the body of Bond. He told her that he wasn't going around touting to be Bond; that it was the UK rags that printed those words...and "He HATED them for it"...

Yes, I remember him talking about it on Craig Ferguson. "I hate the Scottish press!" :soangry:

Delene

I LOVED the Man From U.N.C.L.E. However, I was madly in love with Illya. My friends all loved Solo and thought I was weird! LOL!

Now I faithfully watch NCIS just so I can see Ducky.

As for Mission Impossible, I refuse to watch anything with Tom Cruise in it, so have never seen any of the MI films!

Suzie

I LOVED the Man From U.N.C.L.E. However, I was madly in love with Illya. My friends all loved Solo and thought I was weird! LOL!

As for Mission Impossible, I refuse to watch anything with Tom Cruise in it, so have never seen any of the MI films!

Suzie

Yeah, Illya was kinda cute so you aren't alone! I think I have a thing for men with accents!

I never saw any of the MI films but I like Tom. He's an exceptional actor and adores his fans, not unlike our Gerry! Loved him in Top Gun, Rain man, and Cocktail. Didn't mean to turn this in to a TC thread though.

A spy/undercover agent movie(not like the clutsy Get Smart) with a comedic edge on it and the fact that they considered even Tom Hanks for the role, I thought might make it suitable for Gerry since he has such an excellent comedic timing and can do action oh so well! The fact that both Clooney and Cooper said yes but then had to drop out means they liked something about the idea and script originally when they saw it.

Delene

My two cents...

I loved The Man from U.N.C.L.E., and had a crush on BOTH actors. It was a classic and very well done.

I doubt Gerry would do it, and I don't care for "remakes," but if Gerry did, it he would do it well.

I will NEVER, NEVER, NEVER see any film by Tom Cruise in the future...he doesn't deserve a single penny of my $$$.

Leslie

My two cents...

I loved The Man from U.N.C.L.E., and had a crush on BOTH actors. It was a classic and very well done.

I doubt Gerry would do it, and I don't care for "remakes," but if Gerry did, it he would do it well.

I will NEVER, NEVER, NEVER see any film by Tom Cruise in the future...he doesn't deserve a single penny of my $$$.

Leslie

Leslie, does that mean if Tom ever does a movie with Gerry you won't be seeing it? ;) Personally I would love, love, love to see Tom and Gerry in a film together in the future! Of course, TC would have to wear elevated shoes! :spit:

Delene

My two cents...

I will NEVER, NEVER, NEVER see any film by Tom Cruise in the future...he doesn't deserve a single penny of my $$.

Leslie

Leslie, does that mean if Tom ever does a movie with Gerry you won't be seeing it? ;) Personally I would love, love, love to see Tom and Gerry in a film together in the future! Of course, TC would have to wear elevated shoes! :spit:

Delene

I think it'll be a cold day in hell before Gerry and Tom Cruise do a movie together. There's no love loss there. :rotflmao:

This is why I hesitate to ever post anything in Gals anymore. Everything has to be a debate with you, Delene.

As a matter of fact, I thought about the fact that you would ask that question before I ever posted my opinion, so why did I go ahead and post it? Beats me.

I will post this, then I'm done.

I agree with Lisa, Gerry will never do a movie with Tom Cruise for a variety of reasons which I don't even feel need to be discussed.

But, if Gerry did do a film with Tom Cruise, which would be shocking and very disappointing, and, frankly, not very smart of Gerry, I would not see it. As much as I admire Gerry and his talent and love for his art, I refuse to put even a penny of any money of mine in the pocket of Tom Cruise.

Hope that satisfies you. I'm outta' here for quite awhile once again.

Edited by lovetheeloquence

I think it'll be a cold day in hell before Gerry and Tom Cruise do a movie together. There's no love loss there.

I didn't know that! Has Gerry expressed a dislike for Tom Cruise? I must have missed that. I always thought except for the occasional locking of horns and clashing of creative differences, that actors were sort of a close knit community and no one really dissed anyone else, no bridges burned and all of that lest tomorrow you may be working together. That's too bad.

Delene

Let's stick to the topic of The Man from U.N.C.L.E., OK? Obviously, we are never all going to agree on the merits (or lack thereof) of other actors so let's just let that go now. (I know I started it, but I just shut myself up! Sorry about that...)

Thanks,

Suzie

MOD Squad

No problem, Suzie. I brought up MI and that started the whole Tom Cruise thing I guess. Don't know what happened really but it's too bad things took a negative turn.

I know sometimes no matter what I say will be taken in the manner it is intended but I want to apologize to Leslie and to Lisa if they miscontrued any of what I said. I wasn't trying to be a smart arse. I was just trying to have a fun exchange of view points since they seemed so vehement about theirs. I did not mean to "debate" or put down anyone's opinions or feelings either.

Again, sorry for the misunderstanding.

Delene

Oh well. I have to add my :2cents: . I'm not a fan of remakes; they are doing quite a few now to add the magic of CGI. However, often the reason one liked the original was because of the actors. ;)

As someone who has suffered from depression for decades, the day Tom Cruise said this was the day I swore I'd never again watch him in a film (any film, including one with Gerry): :tantrum:

"When you talk about postpartum, you can take people today, women, and what you do is you use vitamins. There is a hormonal thing that is going on, scientifically, you can prove that. But when you talk about emotional, chemical imbalances in people, there is no science behind that. "You can use vitamins to help a woman through those things."

Gee Dr. Cruise, I take fists full of vitamins daily, so I wonder why I still need antidepressants? :wall:

Hugs,

Buff

Suzie

Suzie, I had a crush on Illya as well! LOL...great minds think alike.

In my life, I have learned never to say never .... cause you never know. I personally loved all of the Mission Impossible movies :hide: my hubby loved them and got me interested in them....the action in them is very good.

hugs to all!

Sue