Gerard Butler GALS

MGP Re-Release Weekend

scotsmanstuart

:yay: Wow! That's good news! Hope this will be well-publicized by Relativity. It won't do any good to release the film if no one in the communities where it will be showing knows about it! ;) Edited by Lady Elissa

I think they will advertise it properly ie local newspaper/tv/radio adverts. I did see an article by Sam that said if the lack of publicity was the cause of it to "flop" they would maybe re-release at Easter time. I'm taking from that they will see how it goes that week in the 100 screens.

Moira

The timeframe for properly advertising it is past if it is to be released on the 9th and only last a weekend. People will be so wrapped up in holiday stuff now that it might not get noticed and it's not exactly a Christmas film. Now they haven't even listed the theaters that it's going to be in so people can make their plans to see it!

It should have been properly promoted back when it was released the first time even with limited release. It didn't even get a chance and I'm still upset about it. I'm not sure what they think this will accomplish. You'll pardon me if I'm not too excited about this and all I see is a little appeasement.

I still say Sam and a few of his biker buddies need to pay the distributor a visit and have a real old fashioned "come to Jesus meetin", Sam Childers style!

Delene

I do feel they promoted it well enough in run up to its limited release in NYC/LA. Gerry,

Michelle and Sam did lots of tv and press interviews but that's where it stopped and chances are press wise unless you lived in LA/NYC or knew about the publications from being a fan you wouldnt see them. Once it went wider there was hardly anything which led to it flopping miserably. Next to no money was spent regionally. While I think things like twitter and FB can enhance PR campaigns they still need to properly promote a film especially if going wider relies on bums on seats. I suspect the very people this film was aimed at doesn't spend all day on social media sites and rely on good old fashion things like tv/paper adverts to at least know about it. Whoever orchestrated MGP PR campaign should be fired - unless ulterior motives wanted the film to disappear.

I do feel they promoted it well enough in run up to its limited release in NYC/LA. Gerry,

Michelle and Sam did lots of tv and press interviews but that's where it stopped and chances are press wise unless you lived in LA/NYC or knew about the publications from being a fan you wouldnt see them. Once it went wider there was hardly anything which led to it flopping miserably. Next to no money was spent regionally. While I think things like twitter and FB can enhance PR campaigns they still need to properly promote a film especially if going wider relies on bums on seats. I suspect the very people this film was aimed at doesn't spend all day on social media sites and rely on good old fashion things like tv/paper adverts to at least know about it. Whoever orchestrated MGP PR campaign should be fired - unless ulterior motives wanted the film to disappear.

Couldnt agree more!

I saw only one UK interview with Gerry and even then it wasn't on one of the big channels and the people of the UK dont honestly know enough about Sam Childers to embrace the movie with open arms. (That's unless you physically search the stuff yourself) :watchclock: Pretty poor release time/date with Twilight franchise too, MGP was wiped off my local theatre within a week to make way for Twilight on 4 screens!

I dont think the UK will see MGP again until release o DVD or possible re-release in London,.

Stephanie

Couldnt agree more!

I saw only one UK interview with Gerry and even then it wasn't on one of the big channels and the people of the UK dont honestly know enough about Sam Childers to embrace the movie with open arms. (That's unless you physically search the stuff yourself) :watchclock: Pretty poor release time/date with Twilight franchise too, MGP was wiped off my local theatre within a week to make way for Twilight on 4 screens!

I dont think the UK will see MGP again until release o DVD or possible re-release in London,.

Stephanie

They didn't even review the film on "Film 2011" in the UK (our biggest film review programme that has been going for years), just an interview with Gerry about his fave films.

At my local cinema it was on for a week, then moved to a 2pm in the afternoon time slot only..who goes to see films at that time!???

The only advertising that I saw was on Sky (cable/satellite).

Your basic ticket buyer is going to see a movie when interest in that movie is sparked by a good advertisement. The best is trailers on television and upcoming films mentioned on critic shows like "Made In Hollywood", etc. I never saw anything on ET or Access Hollywood although there might have been something. Gerry did Stern which is a limited target audience there, Huckaby's show and then the few talk shows he did they barely mentioned it that I can recall. Howard was the one who promoted it the best!

But if I was not a fan of Gerry's and I had seen it mentioned on a tv talk show and was even remotely interested in seeing the film, it played so limited that I would have to do all the LEG WORK to find where it was playing and WHO is going to do that other then a fan or someone with an extreme interest in the subject matter?

I was fortunate that I got to see it! I contacted all the major chains in the KC area and they all told me the same thing....."It's up to the distributor....".

I do understand that the most expensive way to show a film is in a theater. I know they don't seem to pull in the crowds they used to with the means to watch payperview, netflix and other means to watch at home. If they want it do just go to DVD then that needs promoting as well. It hasn't been announced when it will do that yet either. It's almost like something is going on behind the scenes that we just don't know about or understand.

And now here we are knowing of another release but have NO IDEA where it will be released, just that it will be in 100 theaters somewhere. I hope that no matter what happens, this has been a learning experience for Gerry because it certainly has been for me!

Delene

I soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo agree with you Dee! When I finally did get to see it after traveling for an hour and a half ....there were NO posters in the lobby or anywhere. One other person was in the theater with us... Female BTW so I figure she must have been a Gerry fan!

:wave: Frannie

Big deal....100 cities but where???? I'm sure once again LA and NY will be included in that list. Still.....it's going to be a hard sell without promotional handling!

I soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo agree with you Dee! When I finally did get to see it after traveling for an hour and a half ....there were NO posters in the lobby or anywhere. One other person was in the theater with us... Female BTW so I figure she must have been a Gerry fan!

:wave: Frannie

Big deal....100 cities but where???? I'm sure once again LA and NY will be included in that list. Still.....it's going to be a hard sell without promotional handling!

Frannie, when I saw it I felt like I was going to see something "secret". No posters, nothing. This theater was so old and hidden down in the lower part of an equally as old strip mall! After the movie, I was sitting there balling my eyes out and trying to watch the end credits and the guy with the broom was standing in the aisle next to me waiting on me to leave! Not one of the best theaters in town for it to have been at but probably one of the less expensive I guess. But I am happy I got to see it!

Delene

Unless you're in a major city in Canada, no one knows about it! That's sad cause I KNOW there would be a huge audience!

I'm so disappointed that I will probably not have the opportunity to see this on the big screen... At some point, it was included on the cinema's playlist, then it was gone! I was NOT happy...

So, 100 cinemas is not a lot when you look at the size of the US and Canada... I agree that it will be back in the large centers...

I hope I'm wrong and that it gets re-released sometime in the new year to a broader audience.

Veronica :-)

Sent from Vero's iPhone using Tapatalk

Putting MGP out again Dec. 9th has to be a joke or someone wants to rub salt in our wounds. I'll bet now that it will not be advertised on TV which means no one will know about it. No one will show up in the theaters and that will give the inept distributors an excuse to can it again. This movie went from a standing ovation in Toronto to obscurity in the U.S. The distributors botched the job in the beginning opening up in 4 theaters so now we have to read about it bombing in the theaters through no fault of the actors or the movie itself. It still makes me mad as h*ll.

~HUGS~ Kathy

I totally agree Kathy... I get so upset! Totally unfair to all the hard work of those involved - those who poured their heart and soul into it. Look at the impact on Gerry - he gets so emotional talking about it. All the Twitter comments have been amazing... It needs and deserves to be seen!

Off the soapbox :-)

((hugs))

Veronica xo

Hi Moira,

Did you manage to see the film? I saw it 3 times at the Glasgow Cineworld.

I thought it was very well done and Gerry was amazing, but it moved out of the cinema fairly quickly.

regards,

Mirin

I totally agree Kathy... I get so upset! Totally unfair to all the hard work of those involved - those who poured their heart and soul into it. Look at the impact on Gerry - he gets so emotional talking about it. All the Twitter comments have been amazing... It needs and deserves to be seen!

Off the soapbox :-)

((hugs))

Veronica xo

Another thing that has been giving me food for thought is how Sam Childers must be feeling about it all. He appeared at many showings/premieres and it must be disappointing for him and Lynn at the lack of cinema showings. they must have been hoping that it would have given publicity to the work they are doing in Africa. The director said at one stage that initially Sam hadnt particularly wanted Hollywood to film his story but when he got more into it and appreciated the work and the care the cast and crew were putting into the film he was fine and also he approved of the final film.

It is such a shame that all of them have been let down by Relativity Media.

Looking forward now to adding the DVD to my Gerry collection!

regards to all,

Mirin