Gerard Butler GALS
Paisleyscot

12/11 - New Playing The Field Poster

YUM!! That is one gorgeous poster! (Of course, I see nothin' but Gerry!)

Suzie

Dayum, he's purty! That curl on the forehead drives me crazy (in a good way, of course) - I want to brush it aside (like Barbra Streisand in "The Way We Were")!!!

I guess I'm in the minority, because I find this poster so amateurish as to be embarrassing -- not only as a fan of Gerard Butler, but as a Louisianian cheering for the "home team company" to succeed. (Millennium is based in Shreveport, LA). I know for a FACT we've got gals on this site capable of photoshopping something more professionally and CERTAINLY with more CREATIVITY! Besides Gerry, there's NOTHING on this poster which entices me to see the film. (And for a gal that does NOT like that hair -- even THAT is debatable). Unlike many, I enjoy the romcom genre. (I'm for ANYTHING that increases my chances of seeing Mr. Pinky in a proper snog!!!) This poster has totally rattled my confidence in Millennium's ability to do this one well...

Spot

I gotta say I'm with Spottie on this one. Yes, Gerry with his beautiful smile makes me give an involuntary clench, but that's expected :yummy:

HOWEVER, as a movie poster? Nu uh. I certainly hope they do better before they actually release the poster.

I guess I'm in the minority, because I find this poster so amateurish as to be embarrassing...I know for a FACT we've got gals on this site capable of photoshopping something more professionally and CERTAINLY with more CREATIVITY! ...

Spot

I'm with you Hol. This is so BLAND! All of the faces are so airbrushed that they appear to be cartoons and not photographs. I would have said that THIS would have been from the same shoot, except that I don't think any of the people on the poster posed for that. I just don't get the lack of creativity. And it's not exclusive to Millennium or this poster. It's an industry-wide trend. It's now the exception to find a decent, arty poster advertising a movie. (The latest poster for Coriolanus is an example.) JMHO

Thanks for posting that.

I'm in agreement with some of the GALS. Yes, Gerry looks lovely, but as a poster it isn't great!

It looks more like the cover of a menswear catalogue than a movie poster! No hint of the football theme or anything.

Yes, Gerry with his beautiful smile makes me give an involuntary clench, but that's expected :yummy:

Never have I laughed so hard. I may have to steal that! hahaha. love it!

xxStephaniexx

OK....Gerry does look stunning and so do the ladies but it looks photoshopped. The women don't look like they are with him in the photo. That photo of Gerry looks like one I’ve seen at a premiere.

A picture is worth a thousand words and it should give you an immediate feel for what the story is about at least and pull you in. That poster tells me that it's about a guy who is a handsome playboy running from too many women in his life rather than a man trying to change. He could be an accountant and no offense to bean counters everywhere but who cares? There is nothing there about soccer at all except the words, "playing" and "field"!

Jessica should be far right on the poster apart from the other women because she is the special one in his life. The current poster puts her on the same level as the rest of the women. Not good. She should be looking very cute but very soccer mom and her young son should be in front of her holding his soccer ball and looking up at her like he's asking for approval, she's looking lovingly down at him but like she's in an obvious quandary. Optionally they could have her fiance' to her left looking on just to add to the drama but that might be too many people in the poster!

Gerry to her right, front and center, standing facing her in his pro uniform, grass stained, looking sexy hot but somewhat battle worn, trying to cop a look of innocence, holding out a single flower in his hand as if to make a peace offering.

Then each woman crammed up behind Gerry. CZJ first, trying to get an interview and definitely something more, looking way too hot and sexy for a reporter. Judy sandwiched behind her trying to see around with a love sick look on her face (she‘s so good at that look!) Then Uma hot on her tail behind her with that determined predatory, "get out of my way", hungry come hither look. All of them should be looking around each woman’s back in front of her crowding up behind Gerry in a line.

Then finally Dennis to the far left of the poster behind Uma, facing forward. Dennis is HW royalty and should be treated as such. He should be placed clearly, standing alone, although he's not the main character he is Gerry's nemesis. He should be in his coaching uni, arms crossed defiantly, looking like he's about to blow his whistle and his top! A Butler and Quaid duel is a great attractor for the male audiences as well as the sexy women so put it out there! Also Quaid has a lot of fans so put him on the poster! This movie has almost an all star cast so all the stars should be on the poster!

I thought Gerry didn't care for this title anyway. This poster says to me it’s about a guy who has too many women in his life and he looks more like a business man, rather than a former down and out athlete, tired of that lifestyle who is trying to change his ways. No one wants to see the story of a hopeless lothario. It's been done to death and this is not what this movie is about is it?

I know no one asked me for my rather wordy opinion but it’s JMO and nothing more and I did have one semester of commercial art so there. :p

Delene

I agree, also.

The poster is very generic & I think it pushes the focus to all the women & my impression was that a lot of the focus of the film was actually his relationship w/ his son.

You get nothing like that from this poster. It looks like he's a player & this is a romp.

Ren

Not feeling this at all. I'm gonna go with my girls. I have seen GALS do better.

I've looked and posted that poster so many times already - and all I can see is Gerry. I think when someone looks at that poster - their eyes won't go any further except to see the name of the movie so they can go see it! JMHO

BonnieBJ

That poster is just wrong on so many levels! This movie is about change and redemption and all the work and effort a person has to put in to that and about love and the lust is the sideline. If I didn't already know what the movie is about and Gerry wasn't on the poster and say Bradley Cooper or Ryan Reynolds was on there instead, I wouldn't bother seeing it. But that's just me.

Delene

This poster leaves me cold. Where is the boy? Where is the emotional pull? Hope they come up with something better.

Swannie

Well, I'll for one volunteer to take and proudly hang one of these posters if anyone is able to get one .... :pointy::lalala::drool1:

I think he looks scrumptious in it....and for whatever else is in the picture ... it doesn't even matter to me....lol.

hugs,

Sue

Let's not forget that the purpose of the poster is not so that we have a nice picture of Gerry, it's to sell the movie.

I don't think this does it.

This actually worries me. I really want this movie to do well.

Ren

EXACTLY Rendita! I have lots of wonderful pics of Gerry, but a movie poster is supposed to catch the eye, get you intrigued about the subject and story and make you want to see the movie. I look at it and think "He is hot" and then move on. Sorry this is a fail in the movie poster category

I agree, also.

The poster is very generic & I think it pushes the focus to all the women & my impression was that a lot of the focus of the film was actually his relationship w/ his son.

You get nothing like that from this poster. It looks like he's a player & this is a romp.

Ren

Totally agree. From people who have already seen it, the movie really DOES focus more on the relationship with his son - that it's more like Dear Frankie in that sense. Once again, American audiences are being told we're too stupid to want to see a movie that isn't about sex and stupidity. Luckily, WE know what the movie is about and we can share that with everyone we know.

Lisa

I'm with Sue.....even though it's not the poster that will sell the movie...... I would take one if it was up for grabs! I'm just looking at him anyway. Wish he had soccer gear on though, you know, like shorts! :cunning:

:wave: Frannie

Yeah - shorts..............wet shorts..........from the rain........ala Miracle Match! :leo2:

Or a cape.......

BlueJean

I guess I'm in the minority, because I find this poster so amateurish as to be embarrassing -- not only as a fan of Gerard Butler, but as a Louisianian cheering for the "home team company" to succeed. (Millennium is based in Shreveport, LA). I know for a FACT we've got gals on this site capable of photoshopping something more professionally and CERTAINLY with more CREATIVITY! Besides Gerry, there's NOTHING on this poster which entices me to see the film. (And for a gal that does NOT like that hair -- even THAT is debatable). Unlike many, I enjoy the romcom genre. (I'm for ANYTHING that increases my chances of seeing Mr. Pinky in a proper snog!!!) This poster has totally rattled my confidence in Millennium's ability to do this one well...

Spot

Totally agree Hol!

I think, hoping, that this is just a preliminary teaser poster. Gerry did say they were planning on changing the name of the film, so hopefully the poster changes too. :doh:

The poster IS a Marketing tool and this one needs to go back on the store shelf.

Cheryl