Gerard Butler GALS

12/11 - New Playing The Field Poster

Paisleyscot

Let's not forget that the purpose of the poster is not so that we have a nice picture of Gerry, it's to sell the movie.

I don't think this does it.

This actually worries me. I really want this movie to do well.

Ren

I can't concur with you more! LOL

I agree with your points, too, Lisa!

Love the pic of Gerry but this poster looks like a different movie than the one we were told about. Gerry said it was like "Dear Frankie". His character tries to get back to a better relationship with his son by coaching his son's soccer team but women kept getting in his way. This poster shows nothing like that. It reminds me of Warren Beatty in "Shampoo". Could be that is the only way they can sell the movie. Gerry's rom/coms always get wide distribution, even though the critics hate them. It's the more serious movies that Gerry does that get put on the back burner.

BTW, I don't remember seeing Gerry wear a suit while making this film.

~HUGS~ Kathy

BTW, I don't remember seeing Gerry wear a suit while making this film.

~HUGS~ Kathy

There's a party scene, Kathy. :) Remember the pic of his arms being stretched behind his back? He's in the suit in that pic. :)

I stand corrected! :)

~HUGS~ Kathy

OK....Gerry does look stunning and so do the ladies but it looks photoshopped. The women don't look like they are with him in the photo. That photo of Gerry looks like one I've seen at a premiere.

A picture is worth a thousand words and it should give you an immediate feel for what the story is about at least and pull you in. That poster tells me that it's about a guy who is a handsome playboy running from too many women in his life rather than a man trying to change. He could be an accountant and no offense to bean counters everywhere but who cares? There is nothing there about soccer at all except the words, "playing" and "field"!

Jessica should be far right on the poster apart from the other women because she is the special one in his life. The current poster puts her on the same level as the rest of the women. Not good. She should be looking very cute but very soccer mom and her young son should be in front of her holding his soccer ball and looking up at her like he's asking for approval, she's looking lovingly down at him but like she's in an obvious quandary. Optionally they could have her fiance' to her left looking on just to add to the drama but that might be too many people in the poster!

Gerry to her right, front and center, standing facing her in his pro uniform, grass stained, looking sexy hot but somewhat battle worn, trying to cop a look of innocence, holding out a single flower in his hand as if to make a peace offering.

Then each woman crammed up behind Gerry. CZJ first, trying to get an interview and definitely something more, looking way too hot and sexy for a reporter. Judy sandwiched behind her trying to see around with a love sick look on her face (she's so good at that look!) Then Uma hot on her tail behind her with that determined predatory, "get out of my way", hungry come hither look. All of them should be looking around each woman's back in front of her crowding up behind Gerry in a line.

Then finally Dennis to the far left of the poster behind Uma, facing forward. Dennis is HW royalty and should be treated as such. He should be placed clearly, standing alone, although he's not the main character he is Gerry's nemesis. He should be in his coaching uni, arms crossed defiantly, looking like he's about to blow his whistle and his top! A Butler and Quaid duel is a great attractor for the male audiences as well as the sexy women so put it out there! Also Quaid has a lot of fans so put him on the poster! This movie has almost an all star cast so all the stars should be on the poster!

I thought Gerry didn't care for this title anyway. This poster says to me it's about a guy who has too many women in his life and he looks more like a business man, rather than a former down and out athlete, tired of that lifestyle who is trying to change his ways. No one wants to see the story of a hopeless lothario. It's been done to death and this is not what this movie is about is it?

I know no one asked me for my rather wordy opinion but it's JMO and nothing more and I did have one semester of commercial art so there. :p

Delene

Absolutely agree with you all about the poster - I'll definitely take it as another HOT, SEXY pic of Gerry :yummy: (whew!), but as far as promoting the movie - it's got to go back to the drawing board!! :wall:

Too bad all you artistic and talented GALS can't get together and make one up...I know it would be 1000 times better at showcasing the theme of the movie!!

Hugs,

Kathy (GeorgieGirl)

You all probably make a good point, but I LOVE the photo! But all my eyes will focus on is that gloriously gorgeous fellow in the middle! The rest is meaningless to me.

bflo

OK....Gerry does look stunning and so do the ladies but it looks photoshopped. The women don't look like they are with him in the photo. That photo of Gerry looks like one I’ve seen at a premiere.

A picture is worth a thousand words and it should give you an immediate feel for what the story is about at least and pull you in. That poster tells me that it's about a guy who is a handsome playboy running from too many women in his life rather than a man trying to change. He could be an accountant and no offense to bean counters everywhere but who cares? There is nothing there about soccer at all except the words, "playing" and "field"!

Jessica should be far right on the poster apart from the other women because she is the special one in his life. The current poster puts her on the same level as the rest of the women. Not good. She should be looking very cute but very soccer mom and her young son should be in front of her holding his soccer ball and looking up at her like he's asking for approval, she's looking lovingly down at him but like she's in an obvious quandary. Optionally they could have her fiance' to her left looking on just to add to the drama but that might be too many people in the poster!

Gerry to her right, front and center, standing facing her in his pro uniform, grass stained, looking sexy hot but somewhat battle worn, trying to cop a look of innocence, holding out a single flower in his hand as if to make a peace offering.

Then each woman crammed up behind Gerry. CZJ first, trying to get an interview and definitely something more, looking way too hot and sexy for a reporter. Judy sandwiched behind her trying to see around with a love sick look on her face (she‘s so good at that look!) Then Uma hot on her tail behind her with that determined predatory, "get out of my way", hungry come hither look. All of them should be looking around each woman’s back in front of her crowding up behind Gerry in a line.

Then finally Dennis to the far left of the poster behind Uma, facing forward. Dennis is HW royalty and should be treated as such. He should be placed clearly, standing alone, although he's not the main character he is Gerry's nemesis. He should be in his coaching uni, arms crossed defiantly, looking like he's about to blow his whistle and his top! A Butler and Quaid duel is a great attractor for the male audiences as well as the sexy women so put it out there! Also Quaid has a lot of fans so put him on the poster! This movie has almost an all star cast so all the stars should be on the poster!

I thought Gerry didn't care for this title anyway. This poster says to me it’s about a guy who has too many women in his life and he looks more like a business man, rather than a former down and out athlete, tired of that lifestyle who is trying to change his ways. No one wants to see the story of a hopeless lothario. It's been done to death and this is not what this movie is about is it?

I know no one asked me for my rather wordy opinion but it’s JMO and nothing more and I did have one semester of commercial art so there. :p

Delene

Delene,

I agree with everything you said. Gerry looks luscious as ever but the poster is so unimaginative - just a gaggle of photo - shopped women hard on his heels. His clothes too look like he has been to an event and could have been copied from a Gallery selection.

There is nothing to hint at the story of the film which promises to be a poignant one and with more depth to it than some of his other rom-coms.

I read somewhere that this poster may not be the final one chosen, so I hope a better one with a bit of a bite is in the pipeline. (I cannot think that Gerry would be totally satisfied with this one.)

There are so many creative Gals who have shown more imagination and flair, and I have no doubt they could do better.

Once again Gerry himself looks great and this is just a comment on the poster.

regards,

Mirin

We should do up a proper poster even if just for fun here on the site! There are some uber talented GALS here that could make photoshop look like you could walk in to it! I'm pretty good with ideas if someone else could do the graphics! Wouldn't it be great to see a poster up for this movie in theaters with the GALS logo down in the corner? ;)

When you've got that many super star actors in a movie together they all need to have their faces on the poster! And it goes without saying that this one falls flat of expressing the emotional, softer side of the story.

Delene