Gerard Butler GALS

12/19 - Gerard Butler Suffers Mav's Hold-Down

zanyzombie

Gerard Butler suffers Mav's hold-down

On a day reminiscent of last January when Jacob Trette, a rookie big-wave surfer, nearly lost his life out at Maverick's, the infamous Northern California break has sent yet another beginner to Stanford Medical Center. In this case it was the star of the Hollywood production about the life of Jay Moriarity, Gerard Butler.

On Sunday the California buoy was reading 12 feet at 16 seconds, which would put Maverick's right at the point of breaking in the 10- to 12-foot range, but the swell direction was decent so there were a few bigger sets sneaking in. With Maverick's and the entire Northern Hemisphere big-wave season off to a slow start, surfers -- and Hollywood film crew -- were chomping at the bit to get a few days of surfing and filming in. Approximately two dozen people were in the lineup.

A few big outside sets had already come through, and between takes Mel, Long and Wormhoudt were passing the time by catching a few insiders. Photographer Doug Acton and myself were out most of the morning shooting serving as water patrol, but decided to go in as the swell began to drop. As we were cleaning our boats at the launch ramp, we heard the faint sounds of sirens in the distance. With crab season in full swing and the entire movie crew set up, there was already a lot of action at the ramp, but as the sirens got closer, they turned down the road and headed straight for us.

We don't ever like to see or hear ambulances when Maverick's is breaking. It never bodes well, and right now everyone is still a bit shell-shocked from the recent death of Sion Milosky and the near death of Trette last season.

One of the film crew's radio cracked -- they were "bringing Gerry (Butler) in." No sooner did I hear the transmission then a jet-ski and Zodiac turned the corner at the Half Moon Bay harbor mouth. They were coming in fast. I ran down to the dock, helped tie off the Zodiac and noticed Butler on board. He had that 100-yard stare that surfers get after a two-wave hold down or near-death experience. After almost 20 years at Maverick's I've seen a lot of it, but it was good to see he was standing on his own two legs. He was carted away in the ambulance and raced off to Stanford Medical Center for observation.

Talking to Wormhoudt on the dock, he said they were all sitting on the inside when a large outside set came through, swung way to the south, caught them off-guard and mowed them all down. For Mel, Long and Wormhoudt it's all in a day's work (hence their being on the crew), but according to other eyewitnesses, Butler was held down for a solid two waves and took four or five more on the head before being washed through the rocks on the inside, where he was finally able to be plucked out.

Butler was brought to the hospital for observation, but a complete recovery is expected.

Butler and the film crew sat on the inside with Peter Mel, Zach Wormhoudt and Greg Long, who were assisting the production. Even on small days, the inside at Maverick's can push 10-feet-plus and really tear you up.

Source

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just returned from visit with our BFFs and had heard nothing about this until now. I've always been concerned that Gerry might be harmed in filming, and I certainly hope his team releases some sort of statement confirming his condition. A lot of concerned fans around the world would like to know that their man is OK!

Swannie

This article supposedly has an update from official sources:

A spokeswoman for his company Gerard Butler Alan Siegel Entertainment said: 'He is totally fine, they held him for observation.

'But he has been cleared and he is ok.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2076374/Gerard-Butler-cheats-death-getting-trapped-underwater-notoriously-dangerous-surfing-spot.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Ren

I just read an article posted on FB that he is 'totally fine' and has been cleared by the doctors!

Quote: "

Gerard's representative said: 'He is totally fine, they held him for observation.

'But he has been cleared and he is ok.'"

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2076374/Gerard-Butler-cheats-death-getting-trapped-underwater-notoriously-dangerous-surfing-spot.html#ixzz1h21DMRYr

Ah, the sea is a jealous mistress but not even she could hold our Gerry down for long!

I'm glad he's OK. For a minute there, I thought I was going to have to deactivate and turn in my GB decoder ring. ;)

What I want to know is where was the cute pro stunt double? They wasted all those hair extensions for nothing!

Delene

Ah, the sea is a jealous mistress but not even she could hold our Gerry down for long!

I'm glad he's OK. For a minute there, I thought I was going to have to deactivate and turn in my GB decoder ring. ;)

What I want to know is where was the cute pro stunt double? They wasted all those hair extensions for nothing!

Delene

A FB post I read indicated he was not surfing, but they were filming paddling scenes.

Delene

A FB post I read indicated he was not surfing, but they were filming paddling scenes.

No excuse for them not using a stunt double, especially in that place! If they needed a closeup of Gerry's face, they could have done it in a less volatile area. You would think that with all the advances they've made in motion picture making they can't super impose someone on to a scene without putting the actor in danger for one shot.

I think "somebody" decided he wanted to try surfing the Mavericks and found out the hard way that he's not as invincible as he thinks! In a way, this experience is probably a good thing. I'll bet it scared the bejesus out of him.

Delene

This article has more of a quote from Gerry's rep:

"A rep for the actor gave this statement to ET: "He's fine. Very scary. They brought him to Stanford University. More scary than anything. For precaution, we all wanted him checked out after it all happened. Came out with flying colors." "

http://www.etonline.com/news/117203_Gerard_Butler_Hospitalized_After_Surfing_Accident/

I had a feeling this would eventually happen since Gerry tries to do everything himself.

This line below in the article gave me chills. We take life for granted too many times. I think this will be a life changing experience for Gerry.

He had that 100-yard stare that surfers get after a two-wave hold down or near-death experience. After almost 20 years at Maverick's I've seen a lot of it, but it was good to see he was standing on his own two legs. He was carted away in the ambulance and raced off to Stanford Medical Center for observation.

It will be interesting to hear Gerry's side to this story when he promotes Mavericks.

Thank you dear Lord for looking after Gerry!

~HUGS~ Kathy

Edited by Forbes girl

Actor Gerard Butler survives pounding at Mavericks

Excerpt from article:

PRINCETON-BY-THE-SEA - The star of "Of Men and Mavericks" got a taste of the true danger of big-wave surfing on Sunday when he was clobbered by a set of giant waves while shooting a scene at Mavericks.

Filmmakers were working on a shot of Butler paddling out at the famed big-wave spot with surfers Greg Long, Zach Wormhoudt and Peter Mel on the inside of the break.

They were steering clear of a set waves in the 15-foot range when a much larger set loomed and broke in front of the four of them, said Wormhoudt, a Santa Cruz resident.

Butler, 42, was held underwater for two waves and washed through the inside rocks while tethered to his surfboard - a big-wave gun about 10 feet long, Wormhoudt said.

A safety patrolman on a Jet Ski swooped in and picked up Butler, who was shaken up but not seriously injured, Wormhoudt said. An ambulance arrived and transported Butler to Stanford Medical Center for observation, and Butler was later released.

Entire Article HERE

Video from Zach Wormhoudt. He was with Gerry. This video shows how dangerous Mavericks can be.

This is from an experience Zach had, not Gerry.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2eMOxFoprSs?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

After viewing that video it makes me wonder how Gerry really is. We all know that we don't always get the truth from "his people" especially since Gerry is concerned about what his Mum hears. I hope he did not sustain any injuries in his lungs and circulation system.

~HUGS~ Kathy

Where are the stunt doubles when you need them? Today Scottish actor Gerard Butler (playing Rick “Frosty” Hesson) was filming for the Hollywood movie titled “Of Men and Mavericks” at the surfing spot Mavericks in Half Moon Bay, California (best known for it’s large surf). The movie is based on the life of legendary waterman Jay Moriarty. Gerard was on the inside floating on his surfboard when a freak set came out the back and caught everyone off guard and in doing so Gerard was taken down for a two wave hold down and then was immediately rushed to the hospital by an ambulance.

What does a two wave hold down mean? A two wave hold down in the surfing world is considered one of the worst scenarios a surfer could find himself in. What this means is when a surfer falls on a wave he is riding or in Gerard’s case when you are paddling back out a wave hits you and takes you underneath the surface for however long. The bigger the wave the longer you will be held down for. A wave (the first one) takes you down for so long where another wave will come pass over you while you’re still under the water from the previous wave. This is why it’s called a two wave hold down, because two waves have passed over you since you have been underneath the ocean water. It is very hard to believe that Gerard did actually have a two wave hold down and not drown as most professional surfers could rarely survive this type of scenario yet alone an amature.

Posted Image

Source

Where are the stunt doubles when you need them? Today Scottish actor Gerard Butler (playing Rick “Frosty” Hesson) was filming for the Hollywood movie titled “Of Men and Mavericks” at the surfing spot Mavericks in Half Moon Bay, California (best known for it’s large surf). The movie is based on the life of legendary waterman Jay Moriarty. Gerard was on the inside floating on his surfboard when a freak set came out the back and caught everyone off guard and in doing so Gerard was taken down for a two wave hold down and then was immediately rushed to the hospital by an ambulance.

What does a two wave hold down mean? A two wave hold down in the surfing world is considered one of the worst scenarios a surfer could find himself in. What this means is when a surfer falls on a wave he is riding or in Gerard’s case when you are paddling back out a wave hits you and takes you underneath the surface for however long. The bigger the wave the longer you will be held down for. A wave (the first one) takes you down for so long where another wave will come pass over you while you’re still under the water from the previous wave. This is why it’s called a two wave hold down, because two waves have passed over you since you have been underneath the ocean water. It is very hard to believe that Gerard did actually have a two wave hold down and not drown as most professional surfers could rarely survive this type of scenario yet alone an amature.

Posted Image

Source

This incident is getting more upsetting by the minute. Especially when I read this...

“No sooner did I hear that transmission then a ski and Zodiac turned the corner at the Half Moon Bay harbor mouth and were coming in fast. I ran down to the dock, help tie off the Zodiac, and noticed Gerard on board.”

It was the exact spot where almost eight months ago 35-year-old Hawaiian surfer Sion Milosky died in a near identical accident at Maverick’s, a big wave haven 25 miles south of San Francisco.

Quirate, Water Operations Director of The Jay At Maverick’s Big Wave Invitational surfing event, said yesterday: “Butler had no business near the bowl or taking a Maverick’s set on the head.

Where is the director in this movie? He takes all of the responsibility in this.

~HUGS~ Kathy

Gerard Butler suffers Mav's hold-down

On a day reminiscent of last January when Jacob Trette, a rookie big-wave surfer, nearly lost his life out at Maverick's, the infamous Northern California break has sent yet another beginner to Stanford Medical Center. In this case it was the star of the Hollywood production about the life of Jay Moriarity, Gerard Butler.

On Sunday the California buoy was reading 12 feet at 16 seconds, which would put Maverick's right at the point of breaking in the 10- to 12-foot range, but the swell direction was decent so there were a few bigger sets sneaking in. With Maverick's and the entire Northern Hemisphere big-wave season off to a slow start, surfers -- and Hollywood film crew -- were chomping at the bit to get a few days of surfing and filming in. Approximately two dozen people were in the lineup.

A few big outside sets had already come through, and between takes Mel, Long and Wormhoudt were passing the time by catching a few insiders. Photographer Doug Acton and myself were out most of the morning shooting serving as water patrol, but decided to go in as the swell began to drop. As we were cleaning our boats at the launch ramp, we heard the faint sounds of sirens in the distance. With crab season in full swing and the entire movie crew set up, there was already a lot of action at the ramp, but as the sirens got closer, they turned down the road and headed straight for us.

We don't ever like to see or hear ambulances when Maverick's is breaking. It never bodes well, and right now everyone is still a bit shell-shocked from the recent death of Sion Milosky and the near death of Trette last season.

One of the film crew's radio cracked -- they were "bringing Gerry (Butler) in." No sooner did I hear the transmission then a jet-ski and Zodiac turned the corner at the Half Moon Bay harbor mouth. They were coming in fast. I ran down to the dock, helped tie off the Zodiac and noticed Butler on board. He had that 100-yard stare that surfers get after a two-wave hold down or near-death experience. After almost 20 years at Maverick's I've seen a lot of it, but it was good to see he was standing on his own two legs. He was carted away in the ambulance and raced off to Stanford Medical Center for observation.

Talking to Wormhoudt on the dock, he said they were all sitting on the inside when a large outside set came through, swung way to the south, caught them off-guard and mowed them all down. For Mel, Long and Wormhoudt it's all in a day's work (hence their being on the crew), but according to other eyewitnesses, Butler was held down for a solid two waves and took four or five more on the head before being washed through the rocks on the inside, where he was finally able to be plucked out.

Butler was brought to the hospital for observation, but a complete recovery is expected.

Butler and the film crew sat on the inside with Peter Mel, Zach Wormhoudt and Greg Long, who were assisting the production. Even on small days, the inside at Maverick's can push 10-feet-plus and really tear you up.

Source

Thank God you're fine Gerry!

My prayers are with you all …

You're really a knuckelhead …

Please be careful …

Love from your friend Karon in NYC

PS. Happy Happy Holidays to you & yours Gerry!

sue - greatest london fan - thank god you are ok. i just came over all sick and worried when i heard this news. be careful gbutt, because you have a lot of fans out there who care about you.

i think its time now to call it quits and go home to scotlAND for the holidAYS for a nice long break. MERRY CHRISTMAS GBUTT

This is scary, but it's totally Gerry. He always pushes the envelope. I believe it's the same instinct that causes him to be a bit reckless in filming (and in life, for that matter!) that has also helped him to become such a success. I think the fact that he's had a number of close calls but has walked away from them insists that he's walking the right side of that fine line.

He's a thrill-seeker and does some crazy things sometimes, but I trust his judgment and I would never wish him to change. He just wouldn't be Gerry then. :)

Steph

This could have been really serious. Last summer, my husband and I attended a seminar in Hawaii, with several experienced surfers there. One of them, a very experienced man, had his arm in a sling. He had wiped out while surfing, and had been pushed down by the waves into the beach. Basically, the waves crushed him into the ground. He broke his shoulder and he was an expert surfer. While I was talking to him about his accident, my mind started racing and worrying that something like that could happen to Gerry. This was back in July, and I was worried even then. (Sorry, it's the "mother dna" I guess!) I'm just so relieved that Gerry is ok. Don't do that to us again, Gerry!

Rayna