Gerard Butler GALS
zanyzombie

12/19 - Gerard Butler Suffers Mav's Hold-Down

Another article....

Actor Gerard Butler survives pounding at Mavericks

By STEPHEN BAXTER The star of "Of Men and Mavericks" got a taste of the true danger of big-wave surfing on Sunday when he was clobbered by a set of giant waves while shooting a scene at Mavericks.

Filmmakers were working on a shot of Butler paddling out at the famed big-wave spot with surfers Greg Long, Zach Wormhoudt and Peter Mel on the inside of the break.

They were steering clear of a set waves in the 15-foot range when a much larger set loomed and broke in front of the four of them, said Wormhoudt, a Santa Cruz resident.

Butler, 42, was held underwater for two waves and washed through the inside rocks while tethered to his surfboard - a big-wave gun about 10 feet long, Wormhoudt said.

A safety patrolman on a Jet Ski swooped in and picked up Butler, who was shaken up but not seriously injured, Wormhoudt said. An ambulance arrived and transported Butler to Stanford Medical Center for observation, and Butler was later released.

Wormhoudt, who has been surfing Mavericks for about 20 years, said it was a memorable hold down for him, as well.

"It was probably the biggest set of the day," Wormhoudt said. "It was intense for myself and I've been through a lot out there."

The story was first reported by ESPN.com on Monday.

Butler, the star of "300" and not an experienced surfer, plays a lead role in "Of Men and Mavericks" as Pleasure Point surfer Frosty Hesson. Moriarity was a Santa Cruz surfer who burst on the Mavericks big-wave scene at age 16 and died in 2001 in a free-diving accident the day before he was to turn 23.

The film, due out in fall 2012, covers his life in Santa Cruz, his apprenticeship with Hesson and his committed performances at Mavericks. The film was shot in Santa Cruz in October and in recent weeks around Pleasure Point.

Frank Quirarte, a photographer who watched Butler at Mavericks on Sunday, wrote on ESPN.com Monday that the day reminded him of last January, when Orange County' Jacob Trette nearly drowned at Mavericks.

"Even on small days, the inside at Mavericks can push 10-feet-plus and really tear you up," Quirarte wrote.

Butler had not surfed much prior to the movie, but he made a big effort to improve his surfing and water skills for the movie, Wormhoudt said.

Wormhoudt said they took a "conservative line" while paddling out Sunday and talked about what to do if they got mowed down by big waves. Butler wasn't trying to show off, Wormhoudt said.

"Everything he was doing was within reason," he said. "We took like four to five pretty big waves on the head. Basically there's nothing you can do."

Source

From reading everything this was just a very unfortunate scary turn of events. It doesnt look like they were doing anything to put anybody in danger but I too hope it shocked them enough into realising how dangerous it is out there. Credit should be given to Gerry when worse case scenario arose he put into practice the survival techniques shown to him by the experts and thankfully came out without serious injury.

I don't think we'll have to wait until "Of Men and Maverick's" PR Tour I'm sure we'll hear all about it on The Playing The Field PR Tour. I imagine if it was as scary as reported your life would flash before your eyes and you'd have an epiphany so I wouldn't be surprised to see some life changes in Gerry's life over the coming months after this.

Extremely scary news when I read it on the internet from Western Australia this morning - I think my heart skipped a beat! Getting dunked at my local beach is scary enough for me! I am so glad that he is OK. Those sorts of stunts are scary xx

Luckily he has not happened. Why make him do the stunts being inexperienced?

Ah, the sea is a jealous mistress but not even she could hold our Gerry down for long!

I'm glad he's OK. For a minute there, I thought I was going to have to deactivate and turn in my GB decoder ring. ;)

Delene

Yeah pretty awesome he managed to bob back up :) So,so,so,so glad he's ok!!!!!!!!! Now don't let him back in the water please! jk...that would be over protective and unfair.

As to how he survived... Aside from the Lord not wanting him yet,I betcha he has one really strong set of lungs.As is kinda obvious from POTO and 300.He can probably hold his breath a really long time.And had to.Just so thankful he's alright.*hopefully* And I agree with someone else...go home for awhile.

All I can say is thank God he is OK! I still feel kind of shaken by the news.

Last night, after I had some time to think about this, I actually found myself getting just a teeeeeeeny bit peeved at HRH and then even moreso at the production company. There is simply no excuse - N.O.N.E. - for not using a stunt double. Mavericks reputation is known the world over and hold-downs are damn dangerous, even for experienced surfers. Frankly, if one is not an extremely experienced surfer, one should NOT be surfing this location. Vent over.

I'm just thankful beyond words that he's okay...And I sincerely hope his mom gave him a serious talking-to....

Am I the only poster who was surprised Gerard signed onto another water themed movie after his serious chest infection he picked up doing Nim's Island.

I think Gerry has just cashed in his good Khama from saving the boy from drowning a few years ago. Let's hope he doesn't have to go back in any more.

Sounds like a freak occurance of unpredicted wave sets that no-one was expecting, in a supposedly safe area occured.

I think Gerry's intensity in preparing for a role probably saved his life this time.

Very scary close call!

x

Hope , believe!,

Gerry is all right to please us with his another live performances.....alive......

he should take care of himself...there is a lot of people who love him.......do remember, Gerard!

This was just a chance situation and no negligence on the part of anyone, I believe. I was body surfing near San Diego in Southern California - waves not very large at all - and was held down for a number of waves. Really scary and I can still see the images of sand and rocks and water years later - and these were only 3-4 foot waves. Best wishes to Gerry for a speedy recovery!

I think "somebody" decided he wanted to try surfing the Mavericks and found out the hard way that he's not as invincible as he thinks! In a way, this experience is probably a good thing. I'll bet it scared the bejesus out of him.

Delene

I certainly hope it scared the bejesus out of him.

Remember stunt doubles, Gerry? That's what they're for, for crying out loud.

He hasn't been surfing that long that he can take on stuff like this, and he's certainly not 22 anymore, either!

I love you to death, baby, but sometimes I want to whack you up-side the head! Posted Image

Phew! That was a very close call! A speedy recovery to you! Don't lose your adventurous spirit! The good Lord was looking out for you. You have too much to accomplish in your life. You have so many people who care about you especially your mum! Glad you are getting better!

From reading everything this was just a very unfortunate scary turn of events. It doesnt look like they were doing anything to put anybody in danger but I too hope it shocked them enough into realising how dangerous it is out there. Credit should be given to Gerry when worse case scenario arose he put into practice the survival techniques shown to him by the experts and thankfully came out without serious injury.

I don't think we'll have to wait until "Of Men and Maverick's" PR Tour I'm sure we'll hear all about it on The Playing The Field PR Tour. I imagine if it was as scary as reported your life would flash before your eyes and you'd have an epiphany so I wouldn't be surprised to see some life changes in Gerry's life over the coming months after this.

I totally agree with you on this Moira. Gerry should get credit for listening to the experts and following their lead. I read that he was told by one of the surfer's to take two deep breaths and relax. If Gerry had panicked he would have been in trouble. He was credited for keeping his composure even though he was shock up afterwards. Totally understandable.

As to how he survived... Aside from the Lord not wanting him yet,I betcha he has one really strong set of lungs.As is kinda obvious from POTO and 300.He can probably hold his breath a really long time.And had to.Just so thankful he's alright.*hopefully* And I agree with someone else...go home for awhile.

When I read that this incident happened I immediately thought I am glad he quit smoking because that had to help with his lungs ability to hold oxygen for a long time.

~HUGS~ Kathy

Edited by Forbes girl

I totally agree with you on this Moira. Gerry should get credit for listening to the experts and following their lead. I read that he was told by one of the surfer's to take two deep breaths and relax. If Gerry had panicked he would have been in trouble. He was credited for keeping his composure even though he was shock up afterwards. Totally understandable.

When I read that this incident happened I immediately thought I am glad he quit smoking because that had to help with his lungs ability to hold oxygen for a long time.

~HUGS~ Kathy

Amen, absolutely, to those thoughts, as well as all others expressed here....my blood ran cold for a split second when I first read the headline..too close, Gerry..way too close, and thank you, God and Gerry's guardian angels, for watching over him!!

When I was very young I had a similar experience with a much, much smaller wave.

It crashed on my head, took me under and rolled me on the bottom. I couldn't get to

my feet or my head above the water for what seemed to be forever. I still remember that

feeling of suffocating and doom. My experience only lasted for one wave and I assure you

that one was enough. I've never been in water over my head again.

I love the "Papa Neptune". I'm never happier or more calm when I am near the ocean or

any large body of water, but I'll never be able to go into deep water again.

I nearly fainted when I head this on E tonight. I've been really under the weather

for the past week and haven't been on the site. If I had heard this Sunday, without knowing

he is OK I think my heart would have stopped beating.

Please, admins, keep us posted on any news you hear. I thought he was probably already

home for the holidays with his family. I hope he is now on his way there and lets dear

Margaret care for him for a while.

Love him absolutely and forever,

Sandy

That video gave me chills! Every morning, I log on to GALS to "check on Gerry" and make sure he is OK. For the record, I DO NOT like logging on to find out Gerry could have been killed! This news was something I DO NOT care to repeat. So, Gerry, just quit it!

So there. :(

Stay safe Big Guy, you light up our lives and we don't ever want the light to go out!

Suzie

I am so glad to be reading this now and not yesterday ! By now Gerry must be well and back on his feet. Scary thoughts keep running through my mind! :bonk: Not the way to think a few days before Christmas....Gerry stay well and don't take any foolish chances :kiss:

:cunning:

Does anyone know if the whole shoot is now wrapped.

Yes, thank God, that was the final day of shooting. I am so glad it's over and Gerry doesn't have to

go back into that same water again. I hope he continues to surf if he likes it, but just not someplace

so dangerous.

We all know how athletic he is and that he is in excellent shape. Thank God again. Someone less

powerful could easily have not made it on Sunday. God keeps him ready for whatever he seems to

have to face.

Love him absolutely,

Sandy

Gerry may have a delayed reaction to his traumatic experience.

I remember a guy coming in to the ER once with a bashed thumb. The doc stuck a needle in the nail to relieve the pressure right at the nursing station because we were so crowded that day then he was released. He walked in to the ambulance bay towards the street and down he went. He was then brought back in for a bump on his head.

I heard Gerry was joking around about it afterwards and was seen having a burger later that night and that's a good sign but I think the seriousness of it may not hit him immediately and I'm sure it will stay with him forever.

Funny thing happened to me yesterday. I left the house to finish up some shopping and I was thinking about Gerry's close call as I drove off and I cursed him. Then a song came on the radio and I started laughing! The timing couldn't have been better! It was one of those moments Gerry would call "synchronicity".

Pay close attention to the lyrics.

http://youtu.be/oWeBxBWQteM

Delene

Amen, absolutely, to those thoughts, as well as all others expressed here....my blood ran cold for a split second when I first read the headline..too close, Gerry..way too close, and thank you, God and Gerry's guardian angels, for watching over him!!

That video gave me chills! Every morning, I log on to GALS to "check on Gerry" and make sure he is OK. For the record, I DO NOT like logging on to find out Gerry could have been killed! This news was something I DO NOT care to repeat. So, Gerry, just quit it!

So there. :(

Stay safe Big Guy, you light up our lives and we don't ever want the light to go out!

Suzie

Amen to all the above! I've been working every Sunday for the past several weeks, so I've been unable to attend Church. By a fluke, I made a last-minute schedule change with another nurse so she could have Saturday with her grandchildren, which gave me Sunday off, so I went to Church with the family. While there, I felt the urge to pray for Gerry, asking God to keep him safe. Then, this new broke. Gives me chills. I'm glad Gerry's part in the filming has wrapped, and I'll bet he is too.

Gerry may have a delayed reaction to his traumatic experience.

I remember a guy coming in to the ER once with a bashed thumb. The doc stuck a needle in the nail to relieve the pressure right at the nursing station because we were so crowded that day then he was released. He walked in to the ambulance bay towards the street and down he went. He was then brought back in for a bump on his head.

I heard Gerry was joking around about it afterwards and was seen having a burger later that night and that's a good sign but I think the seriousness of it may not hit him immediately and I'm sure it will stay with him forever.

Funny thing happened to me yesterday. I left the house to finish up some shopping and I was thinking about Gerry's close call as I drove off and I cursed him. Then a song came on the radio and I started laughing! The timing couldn't have been better! It was one of those moments Gerry would call "synchronicity".

Pay close attention to the lyrics.

http://youtu.be/oWeBxBWQteM

Delene

It's amazing how much of this "synchronicity" thing does crop up. There has always been the Gerry water connections, and the fact he saved a boy from drowning.

Also rather freakishly I had a load of surfing stuff as my Secret Santa gifts on the day before as I am doing surfing as part of my 'bucket list'!

Hopefully if Gerry does have any delayed reaction, he will use it in a positive way.

x

Edited by frisby