Gerard Butler GALS
frisby

Is this Gerry in the Berkoff Stage Coriolanus?

While looking up the original stage version of Coriolanus that Gerry was in as his first acting role, I came across this picture and I'm trying to work out if that is Gerry in it!

Look at the guy fifth from left with the beard. It does kinda look like him, but the photo is a bit fuzzy. Unfortunately he is sitting down, so his usual height giveaway isn't much help!

He was in that production as a 'spear chucker' rather than one of the main roles, so it's difficult to tell if it's him or not as he isn't credited in this picture.

x

WOW! Good question. Since he had what sounds like a small role, one would have to wonder if that is indeed Gerry pictured with a small cast. Just from the look alone, I would say it is. Good find, frisby!

:hmm:

The time period, production dates and place are all 'correct'

and it sure looks like Gerry to me, but it is an awfully small image.

Maybe some more 'sleuthing' will reveal the truth! :detect:

Nice find, frisby!

It is hard to tell; I increased the zoom on my monitor and it does look like Gerry. Can't believe you found this - thank you, frisby! :pointy:

Kathy G

Thank you GALS. The more I look at it and based on the timing and the small cast, I think it probably is him. The photo in the programme shows him very clean cut for this play, but actors never look like their programme photo and he did have longer hair and a beard when he was younger too. It's weird because he looks like he does now in OMAM so I guess lots of things are coming full circle and adding to the whole synchronicity thing!

Edited by frisby

Frisby, what an amazing find! WOW! Definitely looks like our boy, sorry, man! Thank you, Sherlock!

Theresa

LOL I guess my job which involves studying fuzzy photos of people and finding them in real life come has come in handy GALwise! ;)

x

I don't think it is him. Gerry is a big guy even when he is thin. This guy looks too short. Legs are not long enough. In my humble opinion.

Edited by Lady Ski Bum

I don't think it is him. Gerry is a big guy even when he is thin. This guy looks too short. Legs are not long enough. In my humble opinion.

Hi Ms Ski Bum! :)

Well his size was my only doubt initially, (never thought I'd say that!!) but he is sitting towards the back of the stage, a bit further back than the others (look at the perspective of the cross on the floor) and a camera lens can emphasise and distort this even more. The only point of reference we have is the guy sitting to his right who is about the same distance and looks to be the same size or maybe slightly shorter. A lot of Gerry's height is from his lovely long legs, so sitting down he doesn't look so big, and from the angle in the photo it is difficult to tell how long his legs are. Also Gerry does slouch a bit sometimes! At the moment I'm erring on a 90% probability rate personally but I'm glad it is making us all think and debate a bit :)

Umm... Can we just say it is Gerry and stare at the pic happily? :p

I did spot the 5th guy as him straight away without reading your post, Frisby. So I'll say it's him.:D

I quote Theresa, well found, Sherlock.Posted Image

I think not. But if so certainly a gem! :pointy:

I agree, I don't think it is Gerry. Is there any way for any one to authenticate it, though? Seems like there should be some way to do that???

I think it would have to be seen by someone involved in the original production who knew what Gerry looked like at the time..or Gerry himself, but I can't see that happening!! Although IF it is him I'm sure he'd like to see it!

Maybe Moira/Framolamdu can print out a big sign with it on and an arrow saying 'Gerry is this you??' to hold up next time she meets/sees him!! ;)

x

Maybe Moira/Framolamdu can print out a big sign with it on and an arrow saying 'Gerry is this you??' to hold up next time she meets/sees him!! ;)

x

What a brilliant idea, Frisby. Maybe a second line could say, "Will give a hug for answer" Posted Image

xx A

x

What a brilliant idea, Frisby. Maybe a second line could say, "Will give a hug for answer" Posted Image

xx A

Knowing Gerry he won't remember. He didn't even remember wearing a kilt at the LAC Glasgow Premiere. How could he not remember that big event in his own hometown?

~HUGS~ Kathy

Knowing Gerry he won't remember. He didn't even remember wearing a kilt at the LAC Glasgow Premiere. How could he not remember that big event in his own hometown?

~HUGS~ Kathy

:lmao: That's so true, Kathy! To me, it looks more like Gerry now than back then. But it really is too small to see. It IS a great find, though.

Lisa

~HUGS~ Kathy

:lmao: That's so true, Kathy! To me, it looks more like Gerry now than back then. But it really is too small to see. It IS a great find, though.

Lisa

I thought that exact same thing, Lisa. The guy in the pic isn't as young looking as our Gerry looked back then.

~HUGS~ Kathy

Lisa and Kathy...that was the first thing I thought as well...looks like G. now, but I don't think he would have looked anything like that (older) back then. He was just a young lad!!!

Leslie

I'm loving all this debate! It is like the whole JFK conspiracy thing! ;)

Don't forget Gerry did have longer hair and a beard when he was younger as well. He probably just scrubbed up for the publicity shot that was used at the time.

We all know how Gerry likes to change his appearance from project to project too!

x