Gerard Butler GALS
becozy

5/4 - Berlin for "Motor City" shoot?

Two sources list Berlin for Motor City filming...

On the downside, a big-budget movie focused on a 1950′s murder mystery at the Ford Edsel plant in Michigan, called Motor City, is eying Berlin, Germany as its filming location, NOT Detroit where much of it is set. Amber Heard, Gary Oldman, and Gerard Butler are expected to begin filming Motor City in September. Source

MOTOR CITY - September, 2012 - Berlin, Germany; STORY: The film is about a small time hood is framed and sent to prison, only to exact revenge years later. (Posted: November 28, 2011. Revised: April 25, 2012) Source

Seems strange that they would be filming this movie in Berlin, Germany. Michigan has some good tax breaks, I believe, for filming in the state, or did when MGP was filmed.

Ironically, there are no truer patriots and "buy American" then those who work in the American automotive industry, especially in the REAL motor city. I wonder how they would feel about a film and story that's staged in Detroit being filmed elsewhere thus taking the revenue out of the state as well as the country? Maybe no one will notice.

Thanks, Barb.

Delene

From the same article,

It’s no surprise there haven’t been many projects filming in Michigan recently after the state reduced their film incentives last year, but there are a couple of films on the horizon, and one of them is currently looking for crew members.

I didn't read the article but that's what I figured. Seems like having a ready made and original back drop of GM, Chrysler, Ford, etc. would offset the costs of having to recreate ones in another location. Maybe there's not that much to do with the auto industry in the story but just seems strange to me that a film called Motor City with the story situated in that city isn't filmed there. JMO.

I'm still not clear on the timeline of the story being set in 1950 or more recent either. There gets to be so much info out there sometimes, I stop reading it all.

Looking so forward to Gerry and Gary on screen together, I can't tell ya! :yay:

Delene

There are probably visual reasons for not filming in Detroit since the skyline in the 1950's compared to what is there today might be causing some of the issues about where to film. The timing of the filming may also be an issue perhaps with a conflict with other movies scheduled.

OR

The articles are from bloggers that are using only their first names for the story and the story has to be taken with a grain of salt. If I read it in Variety and Variety hasn't picked up some blog rumor then it will be more likely that I will believe it.

:detect:

Edited by Lady Ski Bum

Someone had blogged that Silver has an ongoing relationship with a German studio that would reduce costs significantly. He may also be using the threat of filming in Germany to encourage Michigan to reinstate tax incentives. On a $40M+ project, those incentives can be a significant budget consideration. However, I don't know that Silver or his associates have stated where Motor City will be filmed yet. Wherever is cheapest would be the most fiscally responsible decision.

Either location could be pretty cold in Sept., but Gerry would get to

work in a new location. I'm sure he would love that.

Wherever it is filmed. I'm certain it will be magnificent.

Gerry and Gary in the same movie. How great is that?

I can't wait for all of Gerry's new projects. He is looking

fit and ready.

Love him absolutely,

Sandy

Ryan and Relativity are in the process of acquiring German company Senator Entertainment and the fact that three of the guys taking pics with GB are past execs with Relativity and Belin does, in fact, make automobiles - BMW comes to mind -

Excuse me my mind is boggling - is it just me or is the G-man hanging out with a lot of high rollers in the industry? Really high rollers. There is a lot of money changing hands there in Cannes in the vacinity of Mr. Gerard James Butler. No wonder there is a big smile on Gerry's face.

As an aside:

Alan, you are a brilliant guy but get a visit from the hair police.

Feature Film Casting listings,

scroll down to July 12, 2012

MOTOR CITY - September 30, 2012 - Louisiana & Berlin, Germany; Details Are only Available By Subscription.. STORY: The film is about John Miller, a small time hood framed and sent to prison, only to exact revenge years later. (Posted: November 28, 2011. Revised: July 12, 2012)

Gerry filming in Berlin??? ... when that`s right ... OMG ... 450 km to paradise ... Posted Image

I should move to Berlin and and buy a lovely house at "Wannsee" - a nice suburb of Berlin -

which i let him on a lease ... with full-service ... quite natural Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

... only a dreamPosted Image

Do you guys think Gerry will manage to shoot for "Motor City" until the end o f 2012? He has to be in Australia in January for the development of "Brilliant". It seems he will be staying in Shreveport until "Motor City" begins, then...

Let´s see what happens - I do hope he is able to make all of these projects.

Love from Brazil,

Karin

Ryan and Relativity are in the process of acquiring German company Senator Entertainment and the fact that three of the guys taking pics with GB are past execs with Relativity and Belin does, in fact, make automobiles - BMW comes to mind -

Excuse me my mind is boggling - is it just me or is the G-man hanging out with a lot of high rollers in the industry? Really high rollers. There is a lot of money changing hands there in Cannes in the vacinity of Mr. Gerard James Butler. No wonder there is a big smile on Gerry's face.

As an aside:

Alan, you are a brilliant guy but get a visit from the hair police.

I agree with everything you have said.

:hmm: