Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
SouthernGirl28

A Step Forward Update on me 5/22

Hey gals!!!!!

Long time no talk to so many of you!! I hope everyone is doing well :) Alot of you know my struggle with getting a full time teaching position and the sometimes very rocky road I've traveled to get where I am today! I substitute taught 2008-2009 and 2009-2010. I took 2010-2011 off due to wanting to try to find somthing else and then 2011-2012 came upon us and here I went again but away from two school systems that did me wrong to the point I am not credible in their eyes anymore and I did absolute nothing wrong!

So school year 2011-2012 saw me marching forward to a new school system and substitute teaching once again. I went just a little outside of my hometown and found the most awesome people and the school district rocked!!! I split my time between the high school and a middle school. I was treated so well by complete strangers! I did get to know quite a few even if it was just casual talk! I mean these schools rarly could you walk down the hall without a "hi" or a "have a good day". I felt very welcome.

I'm amazed how all these years as a sub I've struggled with classroom management with certain kids and this year well that ended lol! I would tell the high school students who tried to push my buttons "I'm not arguing with you" and they would quit!

Fast forward to May 15, 2012.....I was subbing for a freshmen English class and since it was the very last week we were watching movies! One of the students brought "Courageous" and asked if we could watch it and I said it was fine with me.

My kids were glued to this movie!! I had one group that didn't want to switch classes due to the fact the movie was getting sooo good as they said it :) Courageous broght me to the Contemporary Christian group "Third Day" and I love their song "Sound Of Your Voice".

I've been very blessed to work as much as I have in this school system. Between the movie, the staff, the kids, and one of my new favorite songs lol I have renewed faith in Education after all. It's strange how people who know you treat you worse than strangers.

I've found my teacher voice and a place I feel at home at.....Now if I could just land a permanent job there!!!

I will not longer shed tears over the other school systems :);)

:hugs:

April

Edited by SouthernGirl28

April, I'm so happy to hear about your journey. I know your experiences in the past were very disheartening.

Hopefully, this experience will lead to new opportunities for you.

Ren

:comfort: Good for you April...I am all for "Education for ALL!" Too often; it is only the more affluent that get to go higher than 11th grade because the costs are too high. Here in Quebec; we are in the middle of a struggle (students against Government) for just that reason...Things like Medicine and education should not be a question of (If you can afford it). I am happy to see you have settled and are back on board here too..:hugs: May

Thank you Ren and May!!! :)

Update 5/22

Hey,

I made my way back to the new school district today(school ended May 18). I went with the intent to talk to the high school principal. I walked in and formally introduced myself and she said "I know who you are". That surprised me as they have so many substitutes it's crazy. Then I asked about positions next year. She asked what I would be interested in and I explained how I was certified in Pre-K - 6 but would be willing to get the certification I needed for high school. She said she had a Chemistry and would have an English posting next month. She asked preference and I said English. The principal told me to leave a note for her secretary with stars on it to call me when the English position becomes available!!! She said I'd have to apply through the board of education.

Now I know it's a long way from a job but from people we know in the district they have said they have not heard a bad thing about me and that everyone likes me. This person said they normally hear all kinds of bad things about subs but had not heard a thing about me!!!

Finally, a school system that notices the things I can do :)

Here's to a step forward instead of standing still or going backward!!!

I'll keep you posted :) Here's to hope!!

April

Hi April!

It's nice to meet you :) :)

I'm glad to hear that everything has been going so well with the new school district :) :)

Good Luck with the application for the new position :) From what I've read you should have no problems at all in getting the position :)

I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers my friend.

Lots of Hugs!

Your new GALS Friend,

Tammy

Hi April

I was very interested in reading your post, then May posted a reply to you, as my name is June, just thought I would jump on the bandwagon and wish you every success in your new venture. You surely deserve it

Best wishes and many hugs for you

June

Hi April

I was very interested in reading your post, then May posted a reply to you, as my name is June, just thought I would jump on the bandwagon and wish you every success in your new venture. You surely deserve it

Best wishes and many hugs for you

June

:wave:Hey; April...May and now June; pretty soon we will be starting another season...yeah we can call it the season club! Lol

Thank you Tammy, June, and May!! I really appreciate your support and prayers. I plan on visiting the board of education this week :) None of this may lead to a job but I'm hopeful which is something I haven't been about a job in a long, long, long time :)

How cool....April, May, and June! There has to be a July somwhere :)

April