Gerard Butler GALS
becozy

5/21 - Gerard Butler: Thunder Run"...it blew my balls off..."

Source: Empiire (On-Line) Author: Nick de Semlyen

Published May 21, 2012

Most interviews in Cannes take place in hotel suites along the Croisette. Not so with Gerard Butler, who recently received guests on a luxury yacht moored off the Old Port.

Despite torrential rain making the experience less glamorous than expected, Empire boarded the vessel (which has a strict shoes-off policy), had some complimentary gazpacho and then got down to the serious business of grilling Butler for info on his upcoming movies. And there are a lot of them.

First up is Antoine Fuqua's White House invasion movie, which according to IMDb is called Olympus Has Fallen, according to a Cannes promo poster is called White House Taken, and according to Butler himself is still untitled.

"That's not yet confirmed," he says. "But the story is really fun. North Korean terrorists come down the Mall in a bloody cargo plane and also attack the White House from the inside. It's insane, but you buy it, you go with it. It's action-packed all the way through — a traditional, classic, unapologetic, big action movie. It's Die Hard in the White House."

Gary Oldman, who of course launched his own assault on the Prez in Air Force One, will be Butler's co-star in the Joel Silver-produced Motor City, which is set to start shooting at the end of September.

"That's more like French Connection: down, dirty and extremely violent," Butler says. "It's me going head to head with Gary. I don't know him well, but I met him many years ago, when I was first starting out, and he was very, very kind to me."

A succession of stars, from Dominic Cooper to Jake Gyllenhaal, have reportedly passed on Motor City, but Butler is convinced it's a winner. He says of the screenplay: "It starts with me running across the roof of a skyscraper, carrying a dead body over my shoulder, and I drop it off the building so it lands on a car. The next minute I'm down on the ground, go up to another car, stick my shotgun into the window without even looking and fire it, killing the passenger instantly. And then all hell really breaks loose! It's one of the coolest openings to a movie I've ever read. I went, 'Okay, I like that – when do we start?'"

Butler is also linked to projects called Manhunt and Hunter Killer. But he seems most excited about Iraq-set actioner Thunder Run, which he says will co-star Sam Worthington and Matthew McConaughey, and will, in an unusual move, use bleeding-edge tech to recreate a historical event.

"It's about the initial attack on Baghdad, as US troops went in with a column of tanks called the Thunder Run — and it's going to be done like Avatar," Butler says. "My face and body will be recorded with little cameras and everything else will be CGI, painted in in the background. I've never read a script with more action, more explosions, more violence. If you didn't do it like this, it would cost $300 million. I saw a three-minute test-piece and it blew my balls off."

As for why he's lined up three action flicks in a row, Butler explains: "I haven't actually done any badass stuff since Gamer in 2007. People think I'm this action guy, because of 300, but I went off and made a Shakespeare movie (Coriolanus) and Machine Gun Preacher. And nobody saw them, so I thought, 'Screw this – I'm going to go make some big f*** off movies!"

What I read:

Blah, blah, blah "...it blew my balls off..."

**stamps foot** WHO'S RUINING IT FOR THE REST OF THE CLASS?! I want my Gerry with balls, dammit!

:funnyface:

Gerry with balls...Posted Image

checking...Posted Image yup...

Still there!!

Posted Image

:rotflmao:

Now that would be a real shame..... ;)

I need to finish reading this book. I have to read it when I'm not sleepy, which is not one o'clock in the morning.

Ren

Still there!!

Posted Image

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I LOVE when Lady VonKinkilla comes out to play! :kisswink:

Goes back to ogle image one *sigh* I'd forgotten how good Gerry looked with his balls... 2008 was a good year for the Gerry Juice. Posted Image

sue grint - gbutts greatest london fan - i hate it when gerry says nobody went to see machine gun preacher and coriolanus. i thought, and a lot of other people thought that machine gun preacher was fantastic, and that gbutt put in a mega performance, the best yet. i think that the only thing is that some people probably didnt like the subject matter as it was very in your face about whats happening over in the sudan, but thats a good thing to see, so that the outside world knows whats going on there.

with coriolanus, i couldnt get into this film, as i didnt really understand the storyline, and i found, but thats just me, other people thought it was great, that the shakespearean dialogue got on my nerves after a while, even though gerry kept his scottish brogue throughout.

i hope this wont deter him from mixing up his role, as he doesnt want to get typecast in his films. i am looking forward to the white house has fallen and i hope he is still doing brilliant, the diamond heist one, as they sounds great too.

:lighter:Posted ImageI LOVE Gerry when he is being a bad assed character....stick with what you are best at doing..."Those eyes that both threaten....and adore...." :pulpfiction:

Still there!!

Posted Image

My two reactions to this:

#1: WHEW!!!

#2: LOL!!

Still there!!

Posted Image

That is just TOO FUNNY!! :bigone::whome2::hmm::ohbaby:

~HUGS~ Kathy

Not to worry anyway. My vet tells me they can slip in fake ones. At least on Chihuahuas! :p

Delene

sue grint - gbutts greatest london fan - i hate it when gerry says nobody went to see machine gun preacher and coriolanus. i thought, and a lot of other people thought that machine gun preacher was fantastic, and that gbutt put in a mega performance, the best yet. i think that the only thing is that some people probably didnt like the subject matter as it was very in your face about whats happening over in the sudan, but thats a good thing to see, so that the outside world knows whats going on there.

with coriolanus, i couldnt get into this film, as i didnt really understand the storyline, and i found, but thats just me, other people thought it was great, that the shakespearean dialogue got on my nerves after a while, even though gerry kept his scottish brogue throughout.

i hope this wont deter him from mixing up his role, as he doesnt want to get typecast in his films. i am looking forward to the white house has fallen and i hope he is still doing brilliant, the diamond heist one, as they sounds great too.

I think what Gerry was referring to was the fact that MGP got so little play. It was very limited release. I finally got to see it at

the $2 theater. It wasn't anywhere else in my area, within 50 miles. Neither was Coriolanus. I didn't get to see it until it came out

on DVD. I understand his frustration. He puts almost a year of his life into these two movies and they don't get distributed.

He spends months in hot Africa draining his soul under those circumstances and no one gets to see his efforts or the story he

gave up so much to make.

I was so very disappointed that it wasn't coming to a theater close enough for me to see, and when it hit the $2 theater I went

every one of the 4 days it played there and watched it twice or three times each day. I just got the DVD and plan to watch it

and introduce it to friends this weekend.

Love him absolutely,

Sandy

:music::wave:

Hello!

I bought "Machine Gun Preacher" last week and watched it last Saturday, I really liked it!!!!! I haven't seen "Coriolanus" yet, but I will!!!!!!

Josée

I hate that he says no one saw it too, makes me sad :(

I was a lucky GAL and received MGP and Coriolanus, thank you to my children and a blu-ray of R-n-R that I bought for myself for my birthday, Loved them all. Lets hope dvd sales change his mind, I would wager the numbers will make the studios wonder WHY they didn't have Gerry's back on MGP...it was great!, I cried, he was at his best.

Looking forward to ALL of his upcoming releases, such good news to a movie lover.

Thanks for having these interviews posted, I never have time to read up on anything.

I loved Machine Gun Preacher!!! Very good movie. Very heart touching!!!<3

Well at least he'll be busy which means lots of pics and shoot news for us!

I'd say Gerry was disappointed with the publicity and distribution of the last two movies and has taken the decision to do what he thinks will be box office smashes. Fingers crossed he's right

Xx

Well, if Gerry decided to do a box office boffo movie, I think he picked the right one this time! With him and the rest of that cast, it can't help but be a huge hit!

Suize

Gerry is right - they didn't publicise it in England like they did all the other films released around the same time. No-one publicised the Premieres and I'd have loved to get there and see him in the flesh again (if you know what I mean Posted Image). Both films weren't on at convenient times and didn't stay in the cinema for long. If they had had more publicity they would have got more people going to watch them. I only saw one interview in the UK when Coriolanus was released - that was with Graham Norton I think. He needs to blitz the UK's TV/Radio interview programmes like all the other celebrities do (like he did for Law Abiding Citizen). It will do wonders for his fans too Posted Image.

What ever happened to Playing the Field, Burns and RocknRolla 2? Anyone any idea?

When's his next film released in the UK?

Gerry is right - they didn't publicise it in England like they did all the other films released around the same time. No-one publicised the Premieres and I'd have loved to get there and see him in the flesh again (if you know what I mean Posted Image). Both films weren't on at convenient times and didn't stay in the cinema for long. If they had had more publicity they would have got more people going to watch them. I only saw one interview in the UK when Coriolanus was released - that was with Graham Norton I think. He needs to blitz the UK's TV/Radio interview programmes like all the other celebrities do (like he did for Law Abiding Citizen). It will do wonders for his fans too Posted Image.

What ever happened to Playing the Field, Burns and RocknRolla 2? Anyone any idea?

When's his next film released in the UK?

Well, I can tell you Playing the Field has changed to Playing For Keeps and is still scheduled to come out sometime in the first of December. Couldn't say about the other two. I didn't know about RNR 2.

Delene

I saw both Coriolanus and Machine-Gun. I like them both. Machine-Gun was my favorite though. I watched it for the 2nd time on DVD over the weekend and it impressed me even more. He should have been nominated for this role. He was brilliant. I can’t wait to see all these new projects of his. They all sound great. Badass action, comedy, drama you name it Gerry can do it all brilliantly.

I seem to recall that when Coriolanus was released in the UK the distributors had already made up their minds to push Madonna's WE for the award season. This meant that other movies were left out in the cold Coriolanus being one of those left out. How true this was we will never know.

They really missed a trick as Gerard did interviews but no one seemed to push James Nessbitt who has a strong TV reputation here and Brian Cox.

Notice also that any movie that you would regard as script based as opposed

to anything 3D, teen horror or rom com seems to get left behind. Gone are the days when films such as A Private FunctioPa pillionllion could be allowed to find a cinema audience.

J

Truth be told!

I sound like my parents now, wishing for the "old days".

I guess there's Movies and then there's Great Cinema...quantity over quality. :(

Maybe he will be nominated for an Oscar this time around, MGP was worthy of a nod.

i hope gerry`s next projects find their way to the german cinemas. the last time he was on the big screen was in BH!!!long time ago...Coriolanus and MGP were not shown. o. k. not every german knows what to do with Shakespeare but "Sudan" is a theme that also constantly goes through our press... i was really very disappointed that MGP wasn`t shown here. It has probably to do with the bad marketing you have also criticised.

So i wait for Aug., 24. - MGP comes out on DVD...i have already booked Posted Image... - and for Gerry`s next films - hopefully on big screen Posted Image

:wave::music:

Hello!

I totally share your feelings, "Tine", "Machine Gun Preacher" and "Coriolanus" never released in theaters in my city!!!!! Thanks God, I bought "Machine Gun Preacher" a few weeks ago and I'll do the same for "Coriolanus", it's supposed to release around August 21st!!!!!

Josée