Gerard Butler GALS

Gerard Butler`s drovers party

Pardon my ignorance but what is a "drover"?

Yeah, I'm surprised he didn't stop and join in! But it was a Beatles' song. Too sedate for him.

Gerry was like a Big Foot sighting. If you weren't paying attention, you'd miss him!

Thanks, Stu.

Delene

Yeah, I'm surprised he didn't stop and join in! But it was a Beatles' song. Too sedate for him.

Gerry was like a Big Foot sighting. If you weren't paying attention, you'd miss him!

Thanks, Stu.

Delene

Drovers were the men who drove herds of cattle from the Highlands down to cattle markets in the Lowlands of Scotland. (Australians use the same word, remember it was Hugh Jackman's character's name in the film 'Australia') The Scottish men however did it on foot - not on horseback!

The inn where Gerry is filmed in this video is a 300 year old atmospheric place - 'The Drover's Inn' at Inverarnan a few miles north of Ardlui on Loch Lomond and Rob Roy is one of the people who stopped off there in the 17th century with his cattle. If you Google the inn you can read more of its history.

They have great ceilidh/sing song nights in the bar which are very popular with local folk or visitors passing through. I can just imagine Gerry blending in unobtrusively with the lively and friendly crowd who would give him peace.The landlord and he are friends and he pops in quite often.

Apparently he was with a lady friend too.

cheers,

Mirin

Thanks, Stu.

Delene

Drovers were the men who drove herds of cattle from the Highlands down to cattle markets in the Lowlands of Scotland. (Australians use the same word, remember it was Hugh Jackman's character's name in the film 'Australia') The Scottish men however did it on foot - not on horseback!

The inn where Gerry is filmed in this video is a 300 year old atmospheric place - 'The Drover's Inn' at Inverarnan a few miles north of Ardlui on Loch Lomond and Rob Roy is one of the people who stopped off there in the 17th century with his cattle. If you Google the inn you can read more of its history.

They have great ceilidh/sing song nights in the bar which are very popular with local folk or visitors passing through. I can just imagine Gerry blending in unobtrusively with the lively and friendly crowd who would give him peace.The landlord and he are friends and he pops in quite often.

Apparently he was with a lady friend too.

cheers,

Mirin

Thank you so much for the info! Actually the name sounded like it had something to do with driving cattle but when I looked the word up in the online dictionary there was no word. Guess I should have "googled". Thanks again, Mirin! Sounds like a cool place!

Delene

:wave:

Hello!

Thanks for this video!!!! It looks like a great place!!!! It gives the taste to dance but I can't do that, I'm at the library!!!!! I will "dance in my head"!!!!!

Josée

'Drover' is also a term that has been used here in the U.S. since the early 1800's and ties in with the cattle 'drives' coming out of Mexico and Texas.

A more popularly used name for a drover, of course, is cowboy.

:kisswink: