Gerard Butler GALS
irish

Gerry Addicted Lust Syndrome (GALS) continued

I used to walk up the road to the mailboxes, about a quarter of a mile total one way. Some panting was involved as my dog, Bo, leaped over rock outcroppings and cliffs with ease! But the trek home was all down hill! We lived on the downhill side facing Longs Peak. One hillside removed or my house one story higher and Denver would have been in full view and the value of our house doubled, I'm sure!

Anyway, I can remember driving up I-70 to the Evergreen exit and that's about where the snow would start falling and things getting treacherous and I knew at about 8000 feet, things were going to be rough going from there! So by the time I turned on to Squaw Pass and wound my way upwards past Elk Meadow and around the hairpin curves (eleven to be exact), the snow would deepen to barely visible car tracks cut in the snow, to where no cars had been, then the flakes would be so heavy visibility would be two feet in front of me and I put all my trust in the good Lord, Michelin and Chrysler to get me home safe! "Jeep don't fail me now"! I said that a lot!

Hugs,

Delene

Delene...I am looking at Longs Peak right now out my window. We see the diamond side of Longs. We see the Continental Divide out another window. Great views on a mountainside. I know the feeling walking uphill around here. Hubby loves it when he has to do some tree trimming on our property and has to walk down and back up all day. Two years ago on Dec. 23rd we picked up our two sons and D-I-L and one granddaughter at the Denver airport. It was snowing in Denver and one son's flight was delayed on arrival until 11:00PM, 7 hours late due to an ice storm in Chicago. It was the first time my granddaughter saw snow since they lived in Oklahoma at that time. We drove up to Estes Park with snow falling and by the time we got into the higher elevations the snowfall was over and we were driving on roads with no car tracks. Of course everyone thought it was beautiful with the sparkling snow showing up in the headlights. My D-I-L thought it felt like being on a sleigh ride in a remote area. I don't think hubby was too enamored about it since he had the responsibility of his whole family in his hands. I always laugh when people in the flatland's complain about driving in snow. They have no idea what it is like in the mountains. When we reached Estes we had to drive down a steep and long road into the valley of Estes. That is always a breath holding experience.

~HUGS~ Kathy

I will always love Colorado and there are many aspects of it that I miss, the smell of the pines while having my morning coffee on the deck, watching a family of elk pass through our property, the sound of nearby melt off rushing over the rocks, the lonely howl of wolves at night, and the columbine and poppies growing wild everywhere. We were so high up that some mornings, the cloud bank lay beneath the house with only the tops of the mountains showing. It was like being in heaven!

I may take a trip out there later this year, late summer early fall. There's a place in Silver Creek that allows dogs that I like to stay at. Maybe we can meet up for lunch in Estes, perhaps at the Stanley. It would be fun!

Hugs,

Delene

I will always love Colorado and there are many aspects of it that I miss, the smell of the pines while having my morning coffee on the deck, watching a family of elk pass through our property, the sound of nearby melt off rushing over the rocks, the lonely howl of wolves at night, and the columbine and poppies growing wild everywhere. We were so high up that some mornings, the cloud bank lay beneath the house with only the tops of the mountains showing. It was like being in heaven!

I may take a trip out there later this year, late summer early fall. There's a place in Silver Creek that allows dogs that I like to stay at. Maybe we can meet up for lunch in Estes, perhaps at the Stanley. It would be fun!

Hugs,

Delene

I agree with everything you said above about Colorado. I have experienced looking down at clouds that hover over our town. It is like nothing I ever saw while living in Illinois and Iowa. Almost spiritual in nature. Hooking up at the Stanley Hotel would be fun. Maybe you can locate those spiritual children that ate your candy before. :)

~HUGS~ Kathy

Hugs,

Delene

I agree with everything you said above about Colorado. I have experienced looking down at clouds that hover over our town. It is like nothing I ever saw while living in Illinois and Iowa. Almost spiritual in nature. Hooking up at the Stanley Hotel would be fun. Maybe you can locate those spiritual children that ate your candy before. :)/>

~HUGS~ Kathy

Sounds like a plan! I'll be sure to bring plenty of candy!

Hugs,

Delene

All this talk of Colorado brings back MY memories of my time living there. I was 10 years old when we left New York (Long Island) and moved to Aurora, Co. We lived there for almost two years and that first year every Sunday (and I mean EVERY SUNDAY) after church my dad would take the family (my two brothers, me and mom) on a Sunday drive and inevitably we ended up on some treacherous mountain drive (up to Pikes Peak or Mt Evans)....I was sure we were going to die....plunging to our deaths off of a cliff! It was agony at the time.....LOL (remember I'm a city girl). But the mountains are so beautiful!!

hugs,

Sue

Posted Image

Hi Gang!

The thread is over 300 posts so head over to the 9th floor HERE!