Gerard Butler GALS

A Gentle Reminder to Fans

A gentle reminder to our members ~

PLEASE do not plan trips to Vancouver specifically to make an opportunity to meet Gerry – especially while he is on the set.

I have seen some of the videos coming out of Vancouver and I gotta tell you, I feel for the guy. This man is working and his character in BOAW, from what I have read, sounds like a VERY emotional role and my extremely limited time in drama has taught me just how hard it is to 1 – get into character and 2 – stay in character. Those of you who have never taken drama or haven’t had any type of experience with acting may not understand this, but it is very difficult.

I would just like to caution you to remember that this is the man’s job and as such he needs to be able to work uninterrupted. Gerry has always been lovely and very accommodating with his fans, but I fear, should fans continue to try to meet him while on the set, his goodwill may very well halt out of simple necessity or sheer frustration.

:hugs:

Dr. Em

*puts suitcase back in the closet*

Just kidding. I agree with you Dr. Em. Well said!

Hear, hear!

Let's not expect to much of our sweet man. There are opportunities to see him at other times, when fans are expected and he will be up for a "meet and greet", but not at work.

Edited by Stalow

Gerry has always been lovely and very accommodating with his fans, but I fear should fans continue to try to meet him while on the set, his goodwill may very well halt out of simple necessity or sheer frustration.

Thanks Em!

While we are generally women of much common sense and consideration for others, there are times when we lose our head over Gerry! I have been checking the videos and pics too, and I can't help but feel sorry for our man!

Respect is the name of the game, and since I don't see Gerry disturbing my work (not that I wouldn't stop everything, LOL!), I know that we need to realize that he's just that when he's on set - at work. I can't imagine how he's keeping his mind on the task at hand....but he's amazing, and we all hope that he can see through any frustration and just chalk it up as supporting him too much...and not create any additional stress for him ourselves. It's true he loves his fans - lets keep it that way! :inlove: :kisswink:

A gentle reminder to our members ~

PLEASE do not plan trips to Vancouver specifically to make an opportunity to meet Gerry – especially while he is on the set.

I have seen some of the videos coming out of Vancouver and I gotta tell you, I feel for the guy. This man is working and his character in BOAW, from what I have read, sounds like a VERY emotional role and my extremely limited time in drama has taught me just how hard it is to 1 – get into character and 2 – stay in character. Those of you who have never taken drama or haven’t had any type of experience with acting may not understand this, but it is very difficult.

I would just like to caution you to remember that this is the man’s job and as such he needs to be able to work uninterrupted. Gerry has always been lovely and very accommodating with his fans, but I fear, should fans continue to try to meet him while on the set, his goodwill may very well halt out of simple necessity or sheer frustration.

:hugs:

Dr. Em

All of this bears repeating.

Thank you, Dr. Em, for saying what *many* of us have been thinking (or discussing quietly -- or not so quietly -- in other fora).

Absolutely Doc!

I just got off the phone with our good Doctor, and we talked about this a little.

Think of it this way:

Gerry in a way is working for us.

Actors make movies for the fans to see.

If there were no fans, there would be no movies.

Gerry is an exceptional actor, and needs to focus on his craft.

He will give us a beautiful gift when the movie is over.

We will all go see it and be touched at his work..like always!

Why interrupt someone when they are making a gift for you?

Sure, we would all like to meet Gerry.

I would love to meet him to thank him personally for my phone call.

But would I run up on the set to interrupt him as he gets into the "zone" to work?

Hell no!

Sure, we all would like to see the Master "do his thing" on the set.

I would love to see my favorite actor, the man who inspires my dreams work.

I'd love to stand back on the set and watch him in silent awe.

But I would not interrupt him.

I would respect him and the job he does.

We all love Gerry. He's our favorite star in the sky.

But we have to let him shine..

http://www.gerardbutlergals.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/cleo.gif

Bethy

It saddens me that one would have to make such a post.

My first reaction to this was, "Indeed." But then I realized something...

I think a lot of fans just don't think about acting as "work," you know? I mean, I totally agree with ya, G, they should, but I can see how they wouldn't. There have been times in shows where I've worked my arse off more than I have in school or a paying job. Difficult work! Rewarding? Heck ya, but difficult nonetheless.

And film, as far as getting into character goes, is much tougher than the stage, because on stage it's (usually) linear. In a film, one day you may be shooting the end climax, and the next day you're shooting exposition...and your character has to "devolve" in that time. Every night on stage, you can build as the story builds in front of the audience, but not in film. And even in shooting just one scene, rarely is the actor given the time to truly build as they would be able to on stage...so it's even more demanding that way.

Thanks for the post, Doc...there are many of us fans who aren't inconsiderate...but perhaps just don't realize.

Bethy - I love the way you stated it - Gerry is our favorite star in the sky so we have to let him shine!

My opinions on the matter have already been stated elsewhere - suffice it to say if we truly care about Gerry then we should put his needs ahead of our own when it comes to encounters. His workplace should be somewhere he can, well, work - discussing his character with the director, running lines with his costars and/or dialect coach, relaxing and thinking through what is coming up next during his down times. He shouldn't have to be "on" for his fans while he is working. He gives us so much, both onscreen and off, we should give him the time and space to do his job.

Guest greyeyegoddess

Sure, we would all like to meet Gerry.

I would love to meet him to thank him personally for my phone call.

But would I run up on the set to interrupt him as he gets into the "zone" to work?

Hell no!

Sure, we all would like to see the Master "do his thing" on the set.

I would love to see my favorite actor, the man who inspires my dreams work.

I'd love to stand back on the set and watch him in silent awe.

But I would not interrupt him.

I would respect him and the job he does.

:cleo:Bethy

Bethy, thank you for your words...actually thank you all for your words.

I would love to see Gerry work. I wouldn't call attention to him, because I would rather watch him do his magic than bother him for a picture or siggy.

But you know, as much as we are saying this, there are going to be people who do go and get pics and autographs, etc, and we will still be grateful for their stories, pics, etc.

We don't want to bother him, but we still admire those who do go....how does that work?

~alice

Bethy, Doc, Susan, Abs... Very well put.

I've done High School theatre and I know a tiny bit about getting in and out of character. I cannot imagine trying to stay in character while you have a gaggle of women trying to videotape you.

I just hope that everyone can calm down enough to let him finish filming. If someone were to meet him on that street one evening heding to dinner, that would be different, but to try to meet him while he's at work or on his lunch break is disturbing.

How upset would I be if anyone other than the Man himself asked me to skip MY lunch? :angry: I love my food.

Anyway. Hopefully this does not turn him off from meeting and conversing with fans, he's always been so kind and accomodating.

We love you G!!! Don't change! ::D:

I have stopped reading the encounter stories past the ones that happened the first weekend. I think that weekend it was to be expected, even by him, with so many people in Vancouver for B&G's release, but after that the stories really started to bother me and I didn't feel admiration towards some of the fans. I did read one recent story that involved a few fans watching the filming but it said that all they did was wave at him once and then again when he was leaving and he did come over to them when the shooting wrapped for the day, and that was cool. I'd love to watch him working myself, without expecting anything from him. There is a difference between standing on the sidelines watching without expectations and another to expect or even demand of him to come out to the fans between takes, on his breaks, or when he should be having lunch. Those were the stories that made me feel sad, and upset, and anything but admiration for any who have behaved that way.

Like all of you I agree. I've posted elsewere in the forum my view on this so I'll not repeat myself, having said that, I think some of the ladies like Jenn says don't realise it may be interupting his work others may just wish to see him work and not interupt him at all.

Either way I hope all the people are respectfull of him and his work and it dosen't become an issue for the future!!!!

thanks Dr.Em it's a great point!!!

We don't want to bother him, but we still admire those who do go....how does that work?

~alice

Speaking only for myself, I've stopped reading the fan encounters. It seems that, for every polite and respectful story I read, there are 5-8 that are anything *but* polite and respectful. So, for the sake of my own blood pressure, I just don't go there anymore.

~alice

Speaking only for myself, I've stopped reading the fan encounters. It seems that, for every polite and respectful story I read, there are 5-8 that are anything *but* polite and respectful. So, for the sake of my own blood pressure, I just don't go there anymore.

I don't read them either but I'm wondering as the ones you are refering to the ones on GB.net or another site Fiona??

Cause now I wanna see what all the hub bub is about!!

I stopped reading the fan encounters after that first weekend to. It bugs me but what can one say?

Who here wouldn't give their right arms to see Gerry do his magic? I mean the idea of sitting quietly like a mouse watching is pretty cool. Verra cool actually but man...I'd be too dunno afraid to bother him. But thats just me. The people that have gone should be saying to themselves we got to see something a lot of fans haven't and we should be thankful for that.....instead.....I have my opinions but I am keeping them to myself.

Guest greyeyegoddess

Ok, reading some fan encounters causes others to become ill. But we have pictures and videos as mentioned by an earlier post and reactions are similar. Are pictures and videos of Gerry working not going to be shared because of the same reaction?

Does that mean that if you had an encounter would you not post it even if it was something most could swallow? Or would you be afraid of any (and there can be any kind) of backlash or criticism?

I'm just wondering because ideas like these do cause people not to post their wonderful experiences. I don't think you can find my experience on either site...just videos and comments here and there. I've only shared mine with people who ask about it. It was nothing like Sporran's because I was busy watching him from my cameras, which was quite nice.

Don't get me wrong...it is rude to interrupt and cause a commotion, demanding attention improperly. I do feel for a very tired and hard working person like Gerry, who puts out 110 % in everything he does, including time with fans. He deserves our admiration and respect, most definitely. But I don't see anything wrong with people who are going to Vancouver for other reasons, and then finding a chance to watch the man at work and wanting to share the experience. People watch movies in the making all the time. It's not something new. I've never said that one should go just to see Gerry though. I've always spoken out against that, because it does cause heartaches and ill feelings for those who go, spend money, and not get a chance to see him.

I read the encounters because there are some really great ones, like Webberfan's experience, just to name one. I really appreciate the time that people take to write and share their experiences. Yes, a few lines here and there do make me wonder what the person was thinking, if they were thinking, but to judge them for a few lines and judge most of them for a few mistakes, I don't know about that.

It's really hard to think what we'd do when we actually see Gerry. Even those of us who have met him still don't know how we'd react if we met him again. We hope that we can put out our best behavior because we want to be the best fans that anyone has. I'm sure Gerry feels that he wishes he had the time and means to meet everyone, because we are so good to him.

Reminders are good, Dr. Em.

~alice

Really is a juggle, eh Alice?

For me, I think the "I know where Gerry is so I'm gonna pack up and fly up there and make sure I meet him" attitude doesn't do anyone any good. I don't begrudge people wanting to meet him, hey, I'm the same way...but really, I think the reminder is just saying to not go overboard, look before you leap (or buy a plane ticket) and let the man do his job...because darn it, I'm sooo looking forward to the release of this film and dying to see Gerry's performance....so for my own selfish reasons, DON'T BE DISTRACTIN' HIM! :bleh:

:Draculababy: Dr Em that is so well put and so true. We must think of Gerry and how hard it is for him to work under these conditions. I would hate to think that any of his 'fans' caused him any grief of any kind while he is trying to do his job. a job that brought us to him in the first place.

Alice - I don't think many of us have had a problem with people who have shared that they were there, happened upon the film site and stood there watching what was happening. I personally didn't find fault with much of anything that was posted as happened the weekend that many fans were in Vancouver for B&G. I read just about every encounter story that was posted here or at GB.net from that weekend. The only things that made me cringe were stories that started to come out of people who said that they saw and heard him say he was either tired, busy, hungry, headachey, etc and were still asking for photos, hugs and/or autographs from him. There were people who reported hearing a fan or fans admonishing him for not spending more time coming out to meet those who were there. THOSE are the kind of encounters that made me stop reading the stories. If I had other reason to be in Vancouver and I happened on the set I too would stand around and watch for awhile so long as I wasn't in anyone's way or interfering or intruding. But I would do so without expecting anything from Gerry. It seems to me that expectations are where fans run into trouble - if they go someplace expecting to meet him, expecting a hug, expecting a photo, expecting anything from him then they are setting up a tough situation. If he doesn't live up to expectations then he gets flack, if they don't have expectations met for other reasons then they leave disappointed.

People are welcome to post their stories, but if they post that they continued to press Gerry for photos or autographs or intruded on his time when he is trying to work, or get lunch, or just decompress from filming a scene then they may find themselves getting some backlash. I don't roam the web reading stories and I have only read a very few that upset me a bit - but I have heard OF other stories, though I don't know the accuracy of reports because I haven't gone looking for them myself. I have tried to avoid judging anyone's personal story since I was not there, but rather to form an opinion of what behavior we should TRY to avoid with regards to Gerry and his filming. You are absolutely right that until we are in his presence in any given situation we do not know for sure how we would act. But if we try to prepare for it by thinking through what would be appropriate or not then maybe we have better odds of behaving well if the opportunity does present itself and there he is standing somewhere within your line of vision.

hi all-

i usually don't post on these kinda of subjects but i wanted to put my two cents in. On the other site our group of GMCLs had one of our own meet GB in Vancouver. She is a really great gal and so sweet. SHe told us that as long as the fans let Gerry be in control of the encounter and he got to say when things ended he was cool with everything. I think that is comforting. I am worried like the rest of you about the "pushy" fans who may spoil it for the rest of us but that is really nothing we have control over. So the reminders are good, the posts are good and other than that the rest is up to Gerry.

hugs,

terra

hi all-

i usually don't post on these kinda of subjects but i wanted to put my two cents in. On the other site our group of GMCLs had one of our own meet GB in Vancouver. She is a really great gal and so sweet. SHe told us that as long as the fans let Gerry be in control of the encounter and he got to say when things ended he was cool with everything. I think that is comforting. I am worried like the rest of you about the "pushy" fans who may spoil it for the rest of us but that is really nothing we have control over. So the reminders are good, the posts are good and other than that the rest is up to Gerry.

hugs,

terra

Terra (first of all, HI!!! Meeting you in Indy was SO cool!), and secondly, I think you and Susan put your thoughts on this really well. I hear Alice too, I know that I don't begrudge anyone their chance to meet Gerry. I know that there are several ladies who I personally like that met him (one or many times), and I know that they were sweet and respectful. I have NO problem with people that go to the set and watch. Heck, its a public set. They know that they're going to get people coming to watch. They're shooting in the middle of a city street for goodness sake. If I were up there, would I go to the set? Sure. I'd sit and watch quietly, just in awe, and if, by some stroke of luck, the clouds parted and the angels sang and Gerry strutted over for some quality time, would I take it? Heck yeah! But it does seem from some of the encounters that there were a few lines crossed.

I read most of the fan encounters, and I cherish them. I've never met the man myself, so each encounter is just a little more about the man to me. And most of them are lovely. There are, however, a few that just make me nervous. I wouldn't discourage anyone from posting their story, we've each got different comfort levels about sharing. Plus there are A LOT of us - even if your story is nothing but the epitome of sweetness, 99% of the responses will be positive, but there's always that one. Being part of such a big community is something that we have to keep in mind.

But if I were with a group of people that were pushy and seemed to be taking advantage, I'd be ashamed, and I certainly wouldn't post. Most of us have the common sense to avoid those situations where we feel Gerry isn't being given the respect that's due him as a human being, and I just hope we can keep it that way. He does after all deserve from us what we deserve from him - respect. And if we can let him decide when, where, and for how long he gives his time, just like we get to decide everyday, then I think the best benefits will come to Gerry and us as fans.

Jen