Gerard Butler GALS

Gerry Addicted Lust Syndrome (GALS) continued

Paisleyscot

You're a lucky lady, that you had a husband who let you indulge.

Mine would be appalled. He probably wouldn't be offended, but he really has contempt for anything mass-media-ish. Doesn't go to movies ever. When we met he would agree to go to the local art house for movies. But it wasn't like he's a snob about it, it's just that he had this bizarre idea that if he had to waste time on a movie, then it should be something that someone considers "art."

It's not that he's a judgmental jerk. It's that his ability to integrate social issues and cues and concepts is entirely off. Yes, our son's mental health issues are genetic. Just don't ask my husband to agree with that. LOL They're both on the autism spectrum, they both have emotional issues, they both have severely low frustration tolerance. But my husband insists our son's problems all stem from my stress during the pregnancy and how all those stress hormones I was generating affected the baby. (I'm rolling my eyes as I type this. Men.)

I could probably get him to watch "Dear Frankie," though. Every so often he says that whenever I do watch a movie, I should invite him to join me. (usually said in a petulant tone) He wouldn't be able to put up with anything bloody, so none of the action flicks. But DF just might do it. :)

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saga, Welcome and Hi from Australia. Tell you what if the holodeck every becomes real, I'm right there beside you. How cool would it be to live out your fantasies just the way you want *sigh*.

I've been a Gerry fan for quite a while now and it's just not worn off as other 'obsessions' have. I fell in love with Kurt Russell when I was 12 but unfortunately Goldie Hawn snatched him up. Then it was Captain Kirk and as I got older Picard. But once Gerry came along it was love for life. YAY! Addicted!

Look forward to chatting here,

Cat

Hiya right back. It's been such a busy year for me with two new grand babies - 11 month old Ashlyn and 4 month old Elliott (one to son Steven and one to daughter Erina). We've been travelling between Newcastle (about a 7 hour drive) and Canberra (2 1/2 hours) trying to keep up with them. Easter this year was fantastic with a housefull of children.

I've also been heavily involved in my writers group. I'm in the process of getting a new anthology up and running and I will be editing it. It's likely to be published around April/May next year for the Eurobodalla Writers 20th anniversary.

I've been checking in regularly but haven't really posted much. Hopefully, we will get a few new members here at the support Centre. I do see quite a bit on Facebook too.

How have you been?

Look forward to chatting some more.

Cat

Aaaaaahhhhh! Finally found relief for my Gerry-addicted life!

Today I did Gerry ...I mean did the - what did I do? Oh! Watched LAC, 300, and TUT for the umpteenth time.

I'm fulfilled for the moment. I need new stuff!

LOL, Marina! Are those the only movies you have, or are you just waiting for new DVDs to come out?

Popping in to say hi to everyone in the Support Center. @saga - welcome to a home away from home. This is just the right place to come and share the obsession as well as life's challenges. My husband is bipolar and his daughter has multiple diagnoses of mental illness. Thank God my husband goes to his doctor regularly and takes his meds and functions quite well, sadly his daughter does not.

Some of us are fortunate enough to have significant others who are quite OK with whoever or whatever we obsess over (my husband is one). I've been a Gerry addict for nearly 9 years now, and over 4 years as a Glambert (Adam Lambert fan). My husband enjoys Gerry's movies, he enjoys Adam's music, and he never gives me grief about any of it. I know how lucky I am for that, because I understand there are more spouses who find it upsetting than there are who go along for the ride.

Issy - you've gotten a lot of good advice on the marriage front. I remember a defining moment in my previous marriage when I was at a jazz festival with my then-husband and his family. There was an older couple there who were dancing to the music and the joy on their faces was palpable. At that moment I had to admit I could not remember the last time I had felt joy anything even close to that, but instead I was really miserable most of the time. I didn't believe that I was supposed to live the rest of my life without joy, and the next month I left him. We had all kinds of issues, the biggest being his addiction to prescription drugs and what I believe was possibly undiagnosed clinical depression. Leaving for me was the best thing I could have done and it was a few months later that I met the husband I've now been with for 24 years (married 22). It has not been perfect, we have had to deal with a lot of things over the years, but I still have to admit that he is my best friend and I love doing things with him. Just this week I won tickets to a concert and when I was trying to think of who to invite to go with me I realized that if he wanted to go then he was my first choice. We had a wonderful time last night seeing Emili Sande, even got to go to sound check and have our picture taken with her. Tonight we are seeing the Broadway touring company of "Sister Act" which should also be great fun. Those are the kind of things that keep us together, happily.

Our new kitty, Willow, finally became a full-fledged family member. After 4 weeks of hiding out I enticed her to join me in the living room and ever since then she is right in the midst of things. She loves to play, she runs around and jumps and gets up as high as she can. She also can be quite the spitfire - she likes to ambush our older cat. Sometimes when they have a little tussle I can't even tell who started it. Thankfully they aren't major fights, usually they are tolerant of each other. She is a beauty too, and we are so glad she is no longer a hidey cat. She may never be a lap cat but she does like to be near us, if not on us.

Yesterday was my 8th GALSaversary! I can't believe it has been that long!

It's good to see everyone on here, I check it every day, even though I don't post that often. Take care!

Mousie

I'm one of the lucky ones whose husband puts up with a Gerry obsession. He even joined GALS as PAL Good Sport and accompanied me to Vegas for the Con in 2007, 2008, and 2009. When I first got involved in Gerry fandom, after seeing POTO in 2005, he thought I had completely lost my mind, but he now says that GALS has been good for me. Before I found Gerry and the network of fans who've become some of my dearest friends, I really had no interests of my own. I went to work and Church, and my social activities and friends all revolved around my daughter's friends' parents and her school activities. I was also very shy and usually took a long time to "warm up" to people. People had to speak to me first because I would never have approached anyone I didn't know at a social gathering. Now, just try to shut me up! :D

I'll never forget the look of disbelief on Good Sport's face when I told him I was going to Vegas with him or without him that first year I went to the Con in 2007. He said, well, he couldn't let me go by myself to meet a bunch of people I only knew on the internet, so he went with me. That's where he earned the name "Good Sport," as he sat there enduring all the Gerry photos and squeeing at dinner. The man even wore a Toga to be in costume on Saturday because the theme was "300." Since then, he's worn a tux and a kilt. I guess he got his fill of the squeeing, because in 2010 he turned me loose to attend Vegas on my own.

We share a computer room at home. My side of the room has a Gerry shrine on two walls and a 4-story mandoll condo. Don't ask. :rotflmao:

Happy Galsiversary, Mousie! :)

Hugs to all!

/>/>

LOL..... Marina...did Gerry did you?? :multicigs:

Only in dreams! Sweet sleep.

/>/>

Popping in to say hi to everyone in the Support Center. @saga - welcome to a home away from home. This is just the right place to come and share the obsession as well as life's challenges. My husband is bipolar and his daughter has multiple diagnoses of mental illness. Thank God my husband goes to his doctor regularly and takes his meds and functions quite well, sadly his daughter does not.

Some of us are fortunate enough to have significant others who are quite OK with whoever or whatever we obsess over (my husband is one). I've been a Gerry addict for nearly 9 years now, and over 4 years as a Glambert (Adam Lambert fan). My husband enjoys Gerry's movies, he enjoys Adam's music, and he never gives me grief about any of it. I know how lucky I am for that, because I understand there are more spouses who find it upsetting than there are who go along for the ride.

Issy - you've gotten a lot of good advice on the marriage front. I remember a defining moment in my previous marriage when I was at a jazz festival with my then-husband and his family. There was an older couple there who were dancing to the music and the joy on their faces was palpable. At that moment I had to admit I could not remember the last time I had felt joy anything even close to that, but instead I was really miserable most of the time. I didn't believe that I was supposed to live the rest of my life without joy, and the next month I left him. We had all kinds of issues, the biggest being his addiction to prescription drugs and what I believe was possibly undiagnosed clinical depression. Leaving for me was the best thing I could have done and it was a few months later that I met the husband I've now been with for 24 years (married 22). It has not been perfect, we have had to deal with a lot of things over the years, but I still have to admit that he is my best friend and I love doing things with him. Just this week I won tickets to a concert and when I was trying to think of who to invite to go with me I realized that if he wanted to go then he was my first choice. We had a wonderful time last night seeing Emili Sande, even got to go to sound check and have our picture taken with her. Tonight we are seeing the Broadway touring company of "Sister Act" which should also be great fun. Those are the kind of things that keep us together, happily.

Our new kitty, Willow, finally became a full-fledged family member. After 4 weeks of hiding out I enticed her to join me in the living room and ever since then she is right in the midst of things. She loves to play, she runs around and jumps and gets up as high as she can. She also can be quite the spitfire - she likes to ambush our older cat. Sometimes when they have a little tussle I can't even tell who started it. Thankfully they aren't major fights, usually they are tolerant of each other. She is a beauty too, and we are so glad she is no longer a hidey cat. She may never be a lap cat but she does like to be near us, if not on us.

My hubby is bipolar as well. He takes good care of himself and me. He also likes Gerry and is so wonderful to watch with me on many of my marathon movie days. ❤ Edited by Marina R.

Oh yeah, Elissa, I've got a Good Sport too although he didn't come to Vegas with me in 2006 but instead opted for a new surf ski - equal cost LOL. He's put up with me organising three Australian Gerry Charity events and went with me to all of them.

I've got a bipolar daughter and she's doing really well (on meds of course). She's married and now has a 4 month old son. She has found she needed an Au Pair to help with the baby because sleep deprivation is one of the serious side effects of children as you all know and one of the triggers for her bipolar cycle. I'm very proud of her. She has a great career and is loving the time at home, especially as the Australian Federal election is such a bun fight at the moment. She works in an area that deals with Ministerial communication so all the briefing papers etc. She's a happy puppy that Elliott arrived when he did LOL.

So nice to see people coming back here. I do miss a good chat and getting to know how everyone is doing.

Shout out to Mousie! Hope things are well with you.

Cat

Happy Galsiversary, Mousie. Isn't it hard to believe how long many of us have been here, and still are?

@MarinaR - sounds like you got a keeper too!

@Cat - so glad to see you here again. It is good that your daughter is doing well and recognizes the triggers. We've had some difficulties sometimes determining which is the trigger and which is the symptom in my husband's case, but as long as his meds are regulated so is he. Did you ever get more tats after your little cat? I kept getting them - had to surround my "S" (from Vegas 2006) and then got another 2 years ago on my right leg. I'm finished (for now). In my job they aren't allowed to be seen so I have to wear pants or long skirts and no sleeveless tops (but then I wouldn't want to be showing my upper arms much anyways)!!

Hi Susan, I've never been away, just silent (would you believe LOL).

Yeah, it's hard to get to know the triggers but Erina had to go off all her meds when she fell pregnant. It seems that the pregnancy hormones kept her totally smooth during the whole 40 weeks. Fantastic really. As soon as she had the baby, things went totally back to normal. Tiredness sets her off as does too much stress and she is now good enough to 'feel' when it's happening and takes time off work or just a few days to sleep/rest/calm down. She's also found an acupuncturist who does wonders - these things combined allow her to keep the medication to a minimum.

No, I've no more tats but I am planning one more. I would like to get a small rose on my right inner wrist with the initials of my family in each of the petals. I would need to find a good tattoo artist where we currently live but I've not had any recommendations so I'm waiting.

It's interesting about your job and having to cover up. Most people see mine and just go 'nice' and leave it at that. But I did work several very nice contracts so I guess they thought nothing of it.

Nice to be back here and see people chatting again. It's been very quiet the last few years.

Planning a trip to San Ramon, CA in Sept. for my sister's wedding, which is on the 28th. Any of my GALS in that area? Not sure how long I'll be down there, but it would be fun to meet up with a GAL or two, if possible.

Issy

• 2 weeks later...

Susan- I'm jealous you get to see Chris! Still hoping he reschedules for Portland soon, but I still don't see him anywhere in the Northwest on his tour schedule.

GALS in the Bay Area- I'm going to be flying into San Francisco on Sept. 27, getting in at about 2:30pm. I don't think my sister can come to pick me up, so I was either going to rent a car, or take public transportation to my hotel in San Ramon. Can anyone give me some advice on what's best?

If anyone is in the area and can meet up somewhere on Friday afternoon/evening, I would love to connect up!

Hugs to everyone!

Issy

Edited by Isabeau

Issy, How long are you going to be in the bay area?

I live in Fairfield, CA .... it's about an hour from San Francisco. Unfortunately the day you're arriving I'm a guest speaker at a city function here in town and won't be available. But if you're going to be here for a few days maybe we could meet somewhere.

hugs,

Sue

Hi, Sue,

I have my sister's wedding on Saturday, and then I fly out of San Fran at 8pm on Sunday. I would love to meet up somewhere.

Issy

Issy, I live about an hour according to the maps from San Ramon. Would you like to come this way Sunday? I would love to give you lunch or take you to do a wee bit of shopping. If not, we could meet somewhere in the middle. I don't know my way around that part of the bay area...but I do remember the Sun Valley Mall in Concord which according to the map says that it is 18 miles from San Ramon. Maybe we could meet up there Sunday afternoon??? what do you think?

Issy, I live about an hour according to the maps from San Ramon. Would you like to come this way Sunday? I would love to give you lunch or take you to do a wee bit of shopping. If not, we could meet somewhere in the middle. I don't know my way around that part of the bay area...but I do remember the Sun Valley Mall in Concord which according to the map says that it is 18 miles from San Ramon. Maybe we could meet up there Sunday afternoon??? what do you think?

Sue, that sounds great! I'll have to check with my family, but I think they are all going to a winery on Sunday, and since I don't drink, I don't think they will mind if I don't tag along. I'll let you know more when it gets a bit closer. I'm sure we can work something out!

Issy

Sounds good Issy. Maybe if they are going to go to wineries they're headed to Napa Valley! If so, it would be very easy to figure out a place to meet at the exit to Napa off of the freeway ...