Gerard Butler GALS

Future Conventions

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the details, KB. There's always more to the story than many realize and seeing it all in black and white can help to form opinions with a bit more clarity. Thanks to all the planners for all the obvious hard work and dedication to these conventions over the years. The level of detail (beyond just the financial) is tremendous. My hat is off to you all.

KB, I want to thank you and EVERYONE who has contributed to help make the conventions wonderful experiences for all. And thank YOU for taking on the "request for feedback" project. I imagine, at times, some of the opinions and/or suggestions might have been a little painful to read, even though they were given with the best intentions. Throughout, you have been honest and gracious with your responses and I applaud you!

Hugs

Sara

And thank YOU for taking on the "request for feedback" project. I imagine, at times, some of the opinions and/or suggestions might have been a little painful to read, even though they were given with the best intentions. Throughout, you have been honest and gracious with your responses and I applaud you!

Hugs

Sara

Sara, it's been my pleasure. It broke my heart to see guests bored at times, and not enjoying themselves this year. Maybe I missed it before but I got it this time and I know I'm not alone in feeling like we've failed GALS and we all want to fix this wonderful weekend and make it something no one misses without plague, flood or famine keeping us away.

KB

KB, the Con may have been more subdued this year, but I assure you, I was never bored and I enjoyed myself immensely! The Con has become a very important part of my life, and even though we can no longer afford for Good Sport and our daughter to attend with me, I'll be there come hell or high water.

Hugs and many thanks to you, Dayna, Jenni, Cheryl, Katie, Lisa, and everyone who makes the con happen. That includes the entire Mod Squad! Mwaaah!

Edited by Lady Elissa

KB: Please don't feel like you "failed!" People change, times change, all kinds of things contributed to low numbers. We'll find a the right blend and hopefully the next one will be even more spectacular!

You all amaze me.. And Cat, Sheri, KB? :thewoman: :thewoman: :thewoman::clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

seriously, no joke, your posts said what I could not

It's nice to "see" you again, Cat. :D Meeting you was one of my highlights at the 1st convention. Big hugs to you!

Jilly :hearts:

You bet. I want to get together with everyone again. It was fantastic. Thanks for the hugs and right back at everyone.

Love ya all

I guess I expected the convention to cost about what it did. They are never cheap but everyone who attends normally gets so much out of it. If you get enough GALS there it's no problem but getting everyone interested or knowing about it is difficult. I promise I will assist in getting the word out for the next con and will try very hard to find the money to attend.

Cat

Edited by Terry's Witch

Well to quote someone once famous, " What you talkin' about Willis?" I'm sorry a lot of people are not coming, but I've seen the convention grow in spirit and God put us on earth to help the ones we can....Friday night was great we had a Gerry night, Gerry sent a video and there was plenty of lust being felt......I feel the people from the outside who were there enjoyed themselves and maybe next year bring some more folks......I think we do the charity in Gerry's name and it makes him proud that we do....I really think it is just the economy or the new people need to come for one time and see the Love and boobie squishing we all do, It is scary the first time, I was all alone, but I'm so glad I did go, I have friends now all over the United States and Great Britain too, I would not have missed the opportunities Gals has allowed me to enjoy and TST is a wonderful place and gives so much to the women who need it. This is a path I'm glad I'm on, I'd hate to think it would be gone........lets have more auctions during the year to help with the cost. Lord knows the hard work all the Mods put into this weekend, yet they never complain......Try it you'll be surprised at the joy and love and friendship you will gain by going!

As a winner of one of the auction baskets this year I can honestly say that the donations were phenomenal. I was thrilled with everything I saw and was fortunate enough to actually win one. Whether they were made or given I was blown away. So speaking for this GAL alone I say thank you and BRAVA to all those that donated!

:claphands::thewoman::clap::pointy:

I love everything I receive, sometimes I go over board on certain things, but it's the donation that really counts.....it's a fun thing to do for charity, I've won Gerry and non-Gerry items, if it's made by a Gal it means so much more.

I didn't send anything this year because of the new agenda at the MGM, I decided to go and buy a few things while I was there and I think the one who won the raffle loved it...

:hearts: Giny! I'm glad you did Giny (and me too)! I had never gone anywhere alone like that...but I'm so glad that I did!!

hugs,

Sue

Okay, so I've chewed on it, and here's what I wanted to pose as possibilities:

Take the venue off the Strip, at least for now. There are several gorgeous facilities off strip (Silverton is one of them) that I'm willing to bet aren't nearly as pricey as anything on Strip. I know Silverton isn't that far, maybe 10 minutes, from the Strip so that anyone who wants to play tourist can. Even if the facility costs aren't that much different, room nights will be cheaper, and that could help ease both the cost of going and the cost of hosting (more booked nights in the room block = better facility rate) See if maybe taking some of the formality out of it will help. Maybe an event facility not attached to a hotel, an event hall for the Gala or something like that.

Next, cross promote the hells out of it! Every single GB fan board out there should know about the convention. If there's bad blood/personality conflicts/whatever with another group, send a neutral third party to pimp the con! :rotflmao: And while you're out there spreading the GALS love, see if anyone else is running a fan con. Ask questions, get ideas, gather intel on what works and what doesn't for them.

Finally, I'd go with what a lot of other people suggested: do a multi-tiered rate. Honestly, until the numbers start looking better, I'd say do it all a la carte. Want a weekender? It's this price. Just coming on Saturday? Cost is blah. Want a shirt? That's this much extra. Add a swag bag? That's another little bit. Now, if someone wants the "VIP" weekend membership, give that a set price that's slightly less than the a la carte pricing. It's a pain and it's annoying for the bookkeepers, but if it means butts in the seats, do it.

I know pricing/cost is a huge issue for a lot of people, including me. I have to admit, when I saw the price for the GALS con, I nearly fell out of my seat. I've been involved in the con running circuit on and off for almost 20 years, 8 of which were active involvement in planning and running of one of the oldest (and sadly, now dead) fan run scifi conventions in the South, and there's no way on the gods' green earth we could've ever asked for that kind of weekend price, even with a guaranteed appearance by someone like Gerry. To be perfectly honest, Dragon*Con doesn't command that kind of admission price and they have an entire ballroom dedicate to the sole purpose of getting autographs from celebrities. I know I'm talking about two totally different animals here, but that's where my mind first went when I cost the cost for the GALS con. It's just the way my mind works.

I KNOW what you guys are going through. Trust me, I completely and totally feel your pain. I've signed on with a group to try and launch a new convention in the area and we're looking at these very kinds of numbers. We're trying to make a successful business (because at the end of the day, that's the way you've gotta look at it) out of a crowd of people having a good time.

OH....reminds me. Start taking donations for next year's event NOW. Setup a payment plan, do a deposit, give out a select number of "lifetime" memberships for the peeps who can donate a larger amount (I think we're doing $300, and only taking 5 per year). Use the disclaimer that there are no guarantees of future conventions, or that Gerry won't do something silly like become a Tibetan monk, but assure the peeps that can donate that the funds are going to help re-launch the convention, much like a rising phoenix. :duck:

I'm sure you guys have already come up with all this, so I'll stop rambling before I really piss someone off! In all seriousness, I would love to see this thing get to be so big that Gerry has no choice but to put in an appearance :yahoo:

Much love and kudos to those who run this!
Amy

Edited by madd_mama