Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
becozy

Garden of Last Days scrapped

‘Garden Of Last Days’ Scrapped As Director-Star James Franco Exits Two Weeks Before Shooting

EXCLUSIVE: What is it lately with directors walking off their own movies just before production starts? Two weeks before he was scheduled to begin production as director and star of Garden Of Last Days, James Franco pulled out of the film today. I’m told that effectively scraps a film that had $500,000 spent so far, a $3 million budget and a July 10 production start date. It’s the second time a filmmaker bailed late in the game, after Lynn Ramsay exited Jane Got A Gun hours before production was to start. That film held it together, but I’m told that this will shut down. Franco, currently in theaters in This Is The End, committed to direct and star in late April, just as he was preparing to unveil his latest film, As I Lay Dying, in the Un Certain Regard section at Cannes.

I’m hearing that Franco’s exit had to do with a disagreement with financier Millennium over the crew he wanted to hire. Basically, Franco put together a few that didn’t have the experience to get approval from the bond company. Millennium wouldn’t approve his choices.

The Film is an adaptation of the bestselling book by House Of Sand And Fog author Andre Dubus III. Millennium signed on to finance a pic produced by Gerard Butler, Alan Siegel, Danielle Robinson and Hanna Weg. Weg wrote the script and longtime Franco collaborators Vince Jolivette and Miles Levy are also producers.

The film is a contemporary thriller set in the seamy underside of American life about three interwoven and ultimately explosive stories: A stripper out of options who brings her 3-year-old daughter to work; an angry, lonely man who gets thrown out of the club; and a foreigner with an endless supply of cash on the brink of committing a terrifying act. Anybody working on that film can identify with these themes of desperation. I’ll sketch in other factors when I get them. I’m hoping somebody will go beyond “two words — creative differences” to explain why this film imploded so close to the start line.

By MIKE FLEMING JR | Thursday June 27, 2013 @ 3:29pm PDT

Looks like Gerry gets a longer vacation. I wonder if they will replace James or just scrub the movie? It doesn't take much to get a movie stopped entirely these days. Did anyone hear if Gerry won that law suit over salary on the movie that he was to do after OHF? It folded two weeks before shooting was to start.

~HUGS~ Kathy

Well, James Franco better have a good reason WHY! Can't wait for HTTYD2!

I read somewhere that it was a disagreement between Franco and Millennium. Seems they would not approve the hiring of some of his set people? Sounds silly to me. The clashing of EGOS!

Delene

I am disappointed that this is not happening...yet anyway. I hate the word "scrapped". I know that Franco was to direct and I think to star as well. This sounds like such an important and provocative story to tell. Maybe another director could pick it up. Mel? Hanks? Marshall? Howard? Stone? How about Jodie Foster? This sounds like her thing! Gerry should take Franco's role. Seems he's got the time right now. Shooting was said to start in three weeks. Why not go for it? You know what we do around here on the farm if a worker can't work, we have to get up and get on in the tractor ourselves. Time is money and money is time and you got to work when the sun shines for tomorrow it may rain. No hay on the ground, no money! Gerry needs hay on his ground! LOL!

Delene

From the way local news reported it, the film won't happen. Kinda tweaks me, not only because it's one more film Gerry's not gonna be in/involved with, but because the economy around here needed the boost and I've got friends who are now suddenly out of a gig. It's hard enough films to shoot here because we're a non-union state, then someone goes and pulls a stunt like this.

As my son says...Grrrnoying!

Edited by madd_mama