Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
saga

The reviews of MGP

So I finally saw it and was blown away. And whenever I get blown away by a movie, I read everything there is on it, andso that's as many reviews as I can find, too, just to see how it effected other people. And after doing that for a while, I am so blown away by the reviews. They were mostly critical, and I think that most of them were very upset about the politics and religion, like they're upset because of the Christian part of the storyline, and they spend a lot of time trashing Sam himself.

I don't understand this. And no, I'm not Christian. This is the only movie that I can find that Hollywood has made about the horrors in Sudan ( I guess it's south sudan now) and you'd think that after the way the world has really ignored the unbelievable humanitarian tragedy there that the press would just love someone anyone bringing it to the public's attention, much less someone with Gerry's star power.

And some even questioned Sam's "conversion" which is just a silly criticism of a movie, anyway. Clearly not all people who become religious become perfect angels, and not all religious people look or act the same. So why do they expect it of him?

Therewere a few reviews that said to the effect that it's a flawed movie but that it's a good thing that it's raised the issues it has. But those were very very few in number.

Okay, I just had to get that out because it was really bugging me.

I tend to believe that the "media" got its name because it is really so "mediocre". In this day and age of the internet that problem has worsened as too many "journalists" skip the steps of actually doing research, or speaking to the subjects of the article, and instead "borrow" things that others have posted even if those who posted it had no personal knowledge of their subject. I give critics very little credence - I find most of the time I don't agree with them - it is just sad that they still have some power and that people may not see an incredibly worthwhile film just because it got unjustifiably bad reviews.

It got bad reviews because the "media" is against Faith based movies. They don't like movies that show that religion can turn bad people around. It goes against what is being taught in this country now. Religion is being ridiculed and blamed for everything that is wrong in this world. Of course, the media is not going to give thumbs up to any movie that shows the good side to religion.

~HUGS~ Kathy

I tend to believe that the "media" got its name because it is really so "mediocre". In this day and age of the internet that problem has worsened as too many "journalists" skip the steps of actually doing research, or speaking to the subjects of the article, and instead "borrow" things that others have posted even if those who posted it had no personal knowledge of their subject. I give critics very little credence - I find most of the time I don't agree with them - it is just sad that they still have some power and that people may not see an incredibly worthwhile film just because it got unjustifiably bad reviews.

Yeah, that. But even reviewers that I enjoy and learn from, like Roger Ebert, seem to find bizarre reasons to criticize. His review is a perfect case in point: He criticizes the movie because Sam is clearly imperfect and no angel, and seems to want it to be a movie about a perfect person fixing a horrible situation.

But it can't be because Sam is clearly no angel, and the horrible situation just goes on and on.

It got bad reviews because the "media" is against Faith based movies. They don't like movies that show that religion can turn bad people around. It goes against what is being taught in this country now. Religion is being ridiculed and blamed for everything that is wrong in this world. Of course, the media is not going to give thumbs up to any movie that shows the good side to religion.

~HUGS~ Kathy

And that was a lot of the criticism I read. So much of it was saying things like it was ramming Christianity down the viewers' throats, which I thought was totally odd. Particularly because in the end it's unclear where Sam is religion-wise, and it's clear that he's not squeaky clean in any way at all even in his most religious moments in the film.

And even in the church scenes, particularly once Sam starts preaching, he's really not pushing Christianity that I could see (and as a nonChristian I'm sensitive to that, too). He's pushing a get-off-your-arse-and-do-something-to-fix-the-world-and-you'll-be-fixing-yourself kind of spiritual high. Which I thought was very powerful.

The criticism of it seems to be also (again, just ticking off Roger Ebert's since I just reread it while reading this thread) that the movie doesn't know whether it wants to be spiritual or violent. But that's the point of the story - that this man doesn't know, either. and he's in this horribly violent situation, where the two sides fighting are delineated by religion. And all the horror that results.

Don't get me wrong, I am a (very) religious person so I wouldn't criticize it from that perspective at all. I just thought it was a very spiritual movie. And a very violent one. And that's what made it so effective.

Edited by saga