Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
saga

How do you not watch this every single day????

Whoa what a movie. Heartbreak all around, and I'm not even so sure how it got that way. But the end was still so hopeful.

And if I wasn't already obsessed with The Man, oh GiH this movie would just knock me right out.

So is it a happy ending? Do they get together again?

And is 'the stranger' really a sailor? I got the feeling when he came down from the boat and gave that guy what I thought was money, that he'd just paid the guy to let him go on the boat to wave to Frankie so that it would look like he was a sailor. Particularly since Marie made that comment about "oh, that's what he said," about him shipping out in a day, or whatever she said.

Am blubbering still, so this is what me blubbering looks like in a post.

We know so little about him but he still seems to have a world of hurt and loneliness in him, doesn't he?

This is one movie I'd love to know what happens to the characters. To see it. Oh well.

That man is gonna be the death of me. can barely breathe watching him here.

Dear Frankie is my favorite movie, not just my favorite Gerry movie. Everything from the story, the characters, the scenery, the music - it all touches me so deeply.

I've been so fortunate to have been able to visit several of the sites where the movie was filmed, and met Andrea Gibb, the screenwriter. I have always seen the ending as very hopeful - there is no reason to believe that Lizzy and The Stranger won't meet again, given his connection to Marie. Frankie knows the truth, so there is no reason to protect him from it now.

I sometimes like to speculate the The Stranger is actually Terry Sheridan, who didn't really die since he was in The Cradle of Life at the time Lara shot him. My backstory has Terry resurrected and reformed, and wanting to be a better man than he ever was before. He is still guarded, but Lizzy and Frankie get under his skin and into his heart and he is not able to forget them, so finds himself compelled to return and see what they can build together.

Andrea is often asked about writing a sequel but she says she prefers that we who love the movie imagine our own sequel instead. In mine they build a beautiful life together with Terry and Lizzy healing the tears in each other's hearts. Lizzy becomes a writer and Frankie, with Terry's coaching, grows up to become a professional footballer playing for Celtic and traveling to all those exotic ports he believed his "Da" visited when he was a kid. Terry joins Marie in the fish and chips shop and are so successful they franchise them all over the world.

I loved this movie too! It's one of Gerry's best performances. I think we all want to see a happy ever after but I also think it's just as romantic a notion to leave things the way they stopped and imagine what might have been because the fantasy might be better than the reality and far more attainable.

For example, if I had met T way back when and we fell in crazy love and then something unforeseen had happened to him to take him from me, to this day I would still be madly in love with him. However, since nothing unforeseen happened, reality eventually set in. :rotflmao:

Did I just go off topic? Sorry ladies!

Delene

Edited by GBPhanatic

He is totally physically in Terry mode here, isn't. Just the whole physical appearance package. But a quiet, deeply wounded Terry.

Uhoh. I'm starting to hyperventilate again.

heeelllllpppp

I was channel-hopping last evening and was so delighted to find Dear Frankie on a Starz channel. Love watching it on TV because I feel like I'm watching it "with" other Gerry fans. I love the movie. I love the characters -the music - the storyline - and GERRY. It will always be one of my favorites. The Stranger will always be my second-favorite character........second only to Erik. They should not have deleted most of the dance scene - definitely.

Hugs

Bonnie

I was channel-hopping last evening and was so delighted to find Dear Frankie on a Starz channel. Love watching it on TV because I feel like I'm watching it "with" other Gerry fans. I love the movie. I love the characters -the music - the storyline - and GERRY. It will always be one of my favorites. The Stranger will always be my second-favorite character........second only to Erik. They should not have deleted most of the dance scene - definitely.

Hugs

Bonnie

I know, I love that extended dance bit. Though in a way I like that they cut it, because if not then the KISS @ THE DOOR (swoon) would've had a very different feel to it. The extended dance scene is really very romantic, but the kiss has so many different layers to it. Like the dance was jumping the gun, if I'm making any sense here.