Gerard Butler GALS

The Arrest Scene.

saga

So now that I've got your attention LOL ... :Clyde3:

I'm just venting a little because I was on a bender with this movie all week and read a lot of reviews and interviews and press and watched and rewatched and rerewatched the movie ... anyway, it made all sorts of reviewers roll their eyes, but it made a kind of bizarre sense to me that he'd shuck it all off as the SWAT team moved in. That way they see right away he's unarmed and he doesn't have to worry about nervous trigger fingers getting twitchy.

And in another thread I saw Moira being very very very observant, having looked very very very carefully for the knife scar and not seeing it, and I felt she needed some back-up there so I did my duty and paused the movie multiple times and when he was in very many positions in that scene and looked very very very carefully in every possible location for any scars and after mopping up the drool careful consideration I have to say she's absolutely right. No knife scars. Though I'll be happy to spend some time checking some more, just to make sure, if anyone wants a little more thorough verification. Always happy to do the hard work. :Clyde4:

But last but not least, I have a question about Chester. What's the deal with Sarah's mysterious 'boyfriend' Chester? He's mentioned in a few places that are very attention grabbing, and it's clear that it's supposed to be some sort of clue or something like that, but then it just melts away without any explanation. The only place I found discussion of it was on a stray blog review of the film that seemed to think Chester was actually Clyde.

Anyone?

Edited by saga

Adding that once Clyde's "reign of fire" (ahem) really gets going, the only time one of the murders seems to really cause him serious pain is when Sarah's car blows up. Which is right after another one of those Chester references, too (Nick asking Sarah when he's going to meet Chester, and Sarah replying that "he's not ready" or some such).

So like maybe there's something to this.

Oh, yeah, and when Chester e-mails Nick, there's something about the way he signs the e-mails "C." that just sort of made me think it, too.

Edited by saga

Wow. And I thought I "knew" this movie, (having reviewed and defended it on my own blog). Chester and Clyde being one and the same never occurred to me. I'll have to go back and watch again, I guess. *sigh* What a hardship....NOT :cunning:

Thanks for the food for thought!

Sarah's boyfriend, Chester, has the inside track about the properties Clyde has purchased.

After Sarah's death, the email from Chester leads Nick to Clyde's warehouse where he gets into and out of prison to do his deeds.

I agree with the reason Clyde completely undresses. He doesn't want to be shot. He NEEDS to be arrested to make his points. He needs to be put into prison. He needs to be put into solitary confinement because

that is the way he carries out his plans.

Love this movie.

I'm confused about the above titles, tho.

All of this refers to Law Abiding Citizen.

Love him absolutely,

Sandy

Right, Sandy, Chester does have the inside track on all sorts of info about Clyde. But he's not just introduced as this guy Chester who's with Sarah, and he's not otherwise explained, but every time he's brought up he's very clearly a mysterious guy who she doesn't want anyone there to meet, no matter how long she's been with all of them, because he doesn't want to be met .... so who is he?

And Clyde makes several open references to the person who is helping him though it's never clearly spelled out if it's someone in the DA's office? But how else would Clyde know about that 12:30 lunch with Judge Roberts, anyway?

I don't have the commentary track to watch with this. Am I right that there's a good commentary track on the BluRay? Maybe something is said in there?

The more I think about it, though, the more I like that idea, that Chester is actually Clyde himself. Which is why he's passing on hints and bits of obscure hard-to-come-by evidence pointing at Clyde's properties, etc. And signing that e-mail just plain "C" does leave it entirely open.

I mean, from the beginning Clyde *wants* Nick to be able to prove this. He wants Nick to do the right thing and to do his job properly and get a jury to convict the murderer ... even if it's he himself who is the murderer.

Yeah, I'm liking the idea more and more.

Edited by saga

I really did like this theory and thinking about it motivated me to pop in the dvd and watch it with the commentary from producers Lucas Foster and Alan Siegel. Chester was never mentioned at all. Given how in depth they went with other aspects of the film, describing motivations etc., this leads me to believe that "Chester" is just a plot device. :confused:

Yeah, maybe. :(

Poorly dealt with one, if so. He's put in there repeatedly and very clearly mysteriously, in ways that draw attention to him, too, you know?

I am getting attached to this one, though. Am sticking to it.

Clyde got his info from all the cameras he has hidden in all the offices all over town.

Remember Nick commented that he had the whole government bugged. He was slipping out of his "solitary confinement" cell down to his cellar to watch what was going on all the time. That's why he had to get put in solitary so he could get to his cameras. He had been planning each and every step of his plan for 10 years.

I don't really think Chester had anything to do with Clyde. Sarah said he had a connection to find out the things they couldn't get legally. I think he was just her boyfriend,that knew enoug about Nick not to want to meet him. He made Sarah work all kind of crazy hours and kept her job more important that Chester, and Chester didn't like him. She was to loyal to Nick.

Besides, she was obviously dating Chester, and Clyde was in prison. So Chester couldn't have been Clyde.

Shir, I agree with everything you said, I think.

Except that Clyde was in prison ... but he also wasn't. He wasn't only going out into the cellars to watch his cameras. He was going out into the city and wreaking. havoc. Like that guy in the tunnel said (whose name escapes me), Clyde's only in prison because he wants to be.

It's funny, because I didn't buy it at first either, but the more I thought about it, the more I liked the idea. I agree with the points you and other posters make against it. But still. I guess because the rest of it all seems so well put together, it bothers me that this Chester character is a sloppy plot device, otherwise, if he's just Sarah's never-to-be-seen-and-otherwise-not-there boyfriend who oh-so-conveniently is a fount of information about Clyde, you know?