Gerard Butler GALS
heISmyGspot

12/20 - @GerardButler in Charity Trip to Liberia @MarysMeals

Film star Gerard Butler swapped Hollywood for the kitchen as he became a volunteer for a charity which provides a daily meal for hundreds of thousands of the world’s poorest children.

During a four-day trip to Liberia in Africa this month, the actor helped cooks prepare and serve meals to school pupils on behalf of Mary’s Meals.

Butler loved the experience and said he has been inspired to get more involved with the charity, after he helped out in a school maths class, played football with children and danced with local villagers.

Mary’s Meals was set up by Magnus MacFarlane-Barrow in a shed in Dalmally, Argyll, but has grown into an international school feeding programme, working in countries where hunger and poverty prevent children from gaining an education. It also sends backpacks filled with school essentials around the world to ensure children can make the most of their time in class .

Scot Butler, 44, presented Mr MacFarlane-Barrow with an award in 2010 and has supported the charity since.

The actor said: “I have come to know Mary’s Meals but I had no idea of what that really meant until I came to see what is possible with this organisation and the effect it can have on the lives of so many children.

“One of the things that I have been struck by during this visit is the strength of people’s dignity, and what I love about Mary’s Meals is that it is all about retaining this. They don’t operate a free system where people are just taking; instead it is all about respecting and promoting the lives of people, their culture and what they are capable of.

“I’ve seen a lot of these communities becoming more energised and alive, and what Mary’s Meals does is that it helps create a sense of community that goes way beyond the feeding programme itself.”

Mary’s Meals has been working in Liberia since 1994 and the school feeding programme in the country is the second biggest run by the charity after Malawi. ...

The rest of the story may be read here.

There's video.  I put it in the shoutbox but I think that was kinda stupid of me.  Doesn't fit in the screen.  Can't see him that way.  And he is lovely to see.  Along with the good works.

http://vimeo.com/82281679

Edited by becozy
added embed :D

Oh my goodness - this is why I love, love, love this man!!! He has such a big heart and he's absolutely precious with the kids. Plus, hearing his Scottish accent melts my heart.

I'm so proud of Gerry for all his charity work.

Suzie

There's video. I put it in the shoutbox but I think that was kinda stupid of me. Doesn't fit in the screen. Can't see him that way. And he is lovely to see. Along with the good works.

http://vimeo.com/82281679

Thanks, saga!

Hugs

Bonnie

Thanks, Barb! I was coming in to offer an "assist," but, as usual, you've beat me to it! **kicks dirt** dadgum "real job" keeps me from all the fun. :-)

:bow:

Both of them have a heart of gold. Gerry is so great with kids. Just to think what those kids had to go through in their short life...

Thank you for sharing this beautiful video.

Thanks for all you continue to do in order to bring photos, videos, etc. for members to share.

Thanks so much, Barb. You always keep us up to date on what Gerry is doing, and he is always doing something wonderful.

I am so proud to be a loving fan of such a generous and caring man. I wish the whole world could see him as we are seeing him here, not just for his acting ability, which is GREAT, but for his loving, caring heart.

I love the way he always talks about his Mum bringing things to his attention. I know she has a huge influence on his life, and that makes me even prouder of our favorite Scot.

Love him absolutely,

Sandy

This is definitely our Gerry. You can tell how much he cares by the way he interacts with the children and the way the children respond to him.

:erik: Erik's Ebony Eyes :phantom: