Gerard Butler GALS

I generally am not one to complain but I'm fed up. I can't stand the way my sister treats me. For instance my parents had my uncle and grandparents over tonight for my uncle's birthday. We were talking about trips and things and I mentioned that I was going to go to NY in Nov. for the charity event thing they are planning before Gerry's birthday. So my dad askes me why I was going and I explained that I wanted to meet some of the other people from the board community and have a good time. Then my sister butts in and she's all like "oh yeah Amanda is obsessed, she made a collage from the movie, watches every single movie she can find with him in it and she calls him Gerry like she's buddies with him. It's so messed up." I calmly explained that Gerry is his prefered name and that's how all his fans refer to him. The collage was made because it was from my favorite parts of the movie, PONR and MOTN. I admire the man as an actor so natuarally I'd want to see his films.

It just bugs me how she's always going on about me being "weird" and how it's creepy that there are other people who are out there who share my opinions about Gerry. It's not only her either because sometimes my friends just role their eyes and :grump: it just makes me feel like crap and then I start thinking well maybe I am weird. It's not like I have a shrine to the man or fantasize about sharing a life with him. I simply admire his work and think he's really good looking. Oh and I go a step further and talk to others on messages boards just to share opinions and ideas. Sometimes I feel like I just want to go hide because people don't share the same view as I do and they almost critcize me for it. Yeah I can take the criticism then but when I'm by myself left with only my own thoughts I start to think maybe what I'm interested is weird and so on. :paperbag: Ehh, I don't know. I'm sorry for rambling on and on but I needed a place to write it out and what better then a place where there are other people who share my same thoughts.

I feel your pain Amanda. It's pretty much the same for me. The people I know think it strange that I like an actor so much, so I stopped talking to them about Gerry. That's why I love these message boards so much, because I can "talk" about Gerry all I want to people who understand. I don't think liking Gerry is weird at all, pastimes like jumping out of air planes and swimming with sharks is what I call weird. But to each his own I guess.

I don't know what type of person your sister is or what your relationship is like, but my advice is to tell her how you felt when she made those comments and maybe she'll stop. I have a younger sister myself, and if she ever told me that any of my words or actions really hurt her or embarassed her I would definately stop because I love her.

I feel your pain Amanda. It's pretty much the same for me. The people I know think it strange that I like an actor so much, so I stopped talking to them about Gerry. That's why I love these message boards so much, because I can "talk" about Gerry all I want to people who understand. I don't think liking Gerry is weird at all, pastimes like jumping out of air planes and swimming with sharks is what I call weird. But to each his own I guess.

I don't know what type of person your sister is or what your relationship is like, but my advice is to tell her how you felt when she made those comments and maybe she'll stop. I have a younger sister myself, and if she ever told me that any of my words or actions really hurt her or embarassed her I would definately stop because I love her.

Me and my sister usually have a pretty good relationship. It's not the only time it's happened it was the same sort of thing with a few bands I really liked before they split. She knows that I hate when she rags on me about things I like and to do it in front of everyone just made it worse. The worst part of it all is she's my twin so you think she might get at least try and understand, especially when I gave her the look of death letting her know she had to stop picking on me and because I've asked her in the past.

Oh well life will go on. I'm not going to let something like that stop me from going to these boards or stop watching Gerry's movies. Atleast on the boards we are all here for the same reason and no matter what our individual differences are.

Ah, nothing like a sibling to drag ya down, huh?

*hugs*

I definitely feel your pain as well. With me, it's not so much my family (they are surprisingly supportive), it's my close friends. Just because they don't have my kind of personality, they think following an actor's career is, well...pointless.

Ah, nothing like a sibling to drag ya down, huh?

*hugs*

I definitely feel your pain as well. With me, it's not so much my family (they are surprisingly supportive), it's my close friends. Just because they don't have my kind of personality, they think following an actor's career is, well...pointless.

Thanks!! *hugs back*

My friends are exactly that way. They think that it's dumb to put so much interest into one person or thing. Oh well someday I hope they find something that they really enjoy and follow very closely and then look back on these years and think "wow I was an arse"

Aww Amanda...well, I can tell you that I only told maybe two friends of my obsession (no siblings thankfully) and the two I've told I don't think understand. One has a gorgeous australian hunk of a boyfriend so to me it's only natural she'd find reality more pleasing. Not that she doesn't like to look at men, she has this thing big time for Jude Law....buuut, like she'll roll her eyes when I get to telling her stuff like she is sick of him already. Ha. I say "already" like this just started, when it's been going on for a few months at least I'd say. But I don't think other people understand the going back to look at a site on one man, as sexy as he is....why they "don't get it" is beyond me, but I think some people see it as odd and weird while the rest of us "get it" and thank God lol~!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hun, I know exactly what you mean. People are very rude to me about these things. I admire the man, so what! Its not like im hurting anyone! Its not ruining my life, so why the big issue? If anything, meeting all you wonderful people is making my life BETTER!

Usually, when someone makes fun of something, it's because they don't get it. Remember, no matter how much others may not get how you feel about Gerry, there are at least 8,000 tarts/tartans/GALS/fans who do. There's nothing wrong with being yourself, and pursuing the things in life that give you pleasure and happiness. So, share the things you do have in common with your friends/sister, and leave the good stuff for us GALS! Because we know a good thing when we see it...like

this...

and definitely this...

and this too!

How could someone not get that? Maybe it's everyone else who's weird, and we're the normal ones! :D

Edited by Virgolady
Virgolady I think you got it right - we are the normal ones. As Galen says in Attila "she who does not (love him) is blind!" - or at the very least judgment impaired!

*raises hand*

Don't worry - I get ragged on too! My partner, Simon, has way big issues with this site, and Gerry in general! He always makes nasty comments about the whole thing - like I need to get a life etc etc. (I have a life - it's here! :p)

Don't get too upset about it. The less people who carry on about the G-man - the more for us! I know it's hard, but rest assured you have great taste, and you aren't wierd at all! Just think of how sad those nasty people are who pick on us, they are missing ut on not only the G-man, but this great board as well!

:dance21:

:kiss2:

Sarah