Gerard Butler GALS
Texas gramma

Gerry Addicted Lust Syndrome (GALS).....Continued

Sue, it's really weird, but I had a similar experience with Gene's first wife when SHE was also diagnosed with cancer. I too encouraged Gene to see her and both boys but Cathy didn't want me anywhere around. She wanted to pretend they were still a family. Gene put up with that one time but when she kept making demands, he put on the breaks. (At one point, she even tried to turn Gene's mother against me, but it didn't work). Funny, after he got firm with her and let her know that we were a package deal, she was able to accept me as part of Gene's life and at the end we were OK.

There were many different roads Sam could have taken in the relationships with both women, but if he truly loved his wife, Sara could never have come between them. No one can destroy a HAPPY marriage.

Suzie

Bonnie, I'm old-fashioned too! :D

Sue, you make some good points about OMK as well. Gerry did his usual excellent acting job. Too bad others in the cast and the plot were only so-so. :unsure: That earthquake must have really been scary! I'm so glad you and your family are safe. Is Bryan's house going to need a lot of repairs, or was it mostly just cleanup of things that got broken, etc. ? :hug: all.

Suzie and Sue, it's wonderful that you were both understanding regarding your hubbies' exes when they became ill and that your hubbies were considerate of your feelings as well. Perhaps things would have been different in OMK if Sam and Charlotte had done likewise.

Kathy, I agree that it's very interesting to see how different people see different things in the same movie! Some very excellent points were made. It was a fun discussion. :)

Now, to my news. I am officially retired from University Health System. I worked my last shift on Friday, the 22nd. I went to the Human Relations office today and processed out. Turned in my employee ID and had the exit interview, gave them a mailing address for my final paycheck. I have to go back on Thursday to sign some more papers regarding direct deposit for my monthly pension because those papers weren't ready yet.

Edited by Lady Elissa

2-1.gif Elissa. Soon you won't even know how in the world you ever fit working for a living into a 24 hour day! LOL

There is still many aftershocks going on that is a bit "shaky" (excuse the pun) for the nerves but at least for Bryan's house it appears that everything is structurally alright. It was mainly a mess cleaning up all of the broken glass .... and what was in them .... wine, olive oil, sauces, vinegar and glass pieces and shards EVERYWHERE. But things are almost back to normal. I just Thank God that they are safe and weren't hurt. The only was who is hurting today is MEEEEEE....I'm too old for this massive cleanup sh*t...lol.

I'm sorry I haven't been involved in this discussion .... but I've been so busy with real life (earthquake clean up at Bryan's).....but...since that is done and I'm home trying to clean my own home; which by the way looks like an earthquake hit it after my family left yesterday to return home...lol.....I'll pipe in as well.

I said that I felt sorry for Sam Bonnie because I see him as a good man who never really got over his first love. I believe he loved Charlotte .... but that his feelings for Sarah had never gone completely away and when she returned and was dying his past feelings for her mixed with the emotions he felt for her (sorry for what could have been, sorry for what she was going through) were magnified and he felt pulled in two opposing directions. The other story line about Frank is kind of parallel to this....he apparently was married to Sarah's mom for years but had really never gotten over his first love either. As for Sarah, I saw her as being self centered. I mean for her to expect Sam to fulfill her bucket list with her was totally wrong.....1) for stirring feelings up in him when she knew she was going to leave him once again and hurt him and 2) because he had a life and a wife that she seemed to think nothing of. But then again, she was dying so I have to cut her some slack. I felt bad for Charlotte but I also thing she was being unreasonable and selfish as well. I agree with Kathy ... if Charlotte had shown a little understanding and compassion things might have been far different. I think I have more empathy with these characters because when Jacqui (Dan's first wife who was his childhood sweetheart ... they married at 16 ... and had four daughters together) got cancer (for the second time) she called and asked him to have dinner with her). He was 1) shocked .... they hadn't spoken a word to each other in years and 2) he felt torn and worried about my feelings but felt he should go. I encouraged him to go and talk to her and I'll never regret that because in the last year of Jacqui's life WE all had time to share many things that were really a blessing to all of us (and our children). I can honestly say that she became like a sister to me and I was honored that I was the one she wanted with her at the end of her life. And you know what....that whole experience just drew me and Dan'l even closer.....

So, yeah, the movie is sad and it certainly isn't Gerry's best movie but I still do love this movie and I think Gerry's acting towards the end at the hospital was EXCELLENT. I felt his heart breaking....never ceases to make me cry every time I watch it. OH yeah, and I just love the way he looks in this movie...his hair, his teeth before they were fixed....so young....ahhhhhhh....lol

hugs to all.

love,

Sue

Sue, thank you for giving us your own story. You made the points I have been trying to make myself. I feel that giving love and compassion makes a big difference in how people react. You also made my point that we quite often look at things through our own eyes and experiences and come up with different reactions from others to the same circumstances. Once again, you have shown me Sue what a special woman you are.

I'm so glad that your Earthquake work is over. That has been so devastating to the Napa area. I hope your son hasn't been hurt too badly financially. I heard that most people don't get earthquake insurance in that area. How scary is that. I've been saying prayers for him and his family. Hope they are getting back to as normal as possible.

~HUGS~ Kathy

Edited by Forbes girl

Sweet story, Sue. Sounds like your Dan'l was a sensitive, caring man - and you benefitted from your wisdom in the way you reacted. Good for you.

I pretty much agree with what you say about OMK - Sam - Sarah - Charlotte. I do think when Charlotte told him that she hated the restaurant she said it out of anger, pain, and fear. She obviously didn't hate the restaurant. Marriage usually involves a lot of compromise - like a man going to see a movie just to please his wife; a wife taking her husband to a musical performance he especially likes just to please him. When Sarah said to Charlotte "I want to spend time with your husband".....she did not include Charlotte. Charlotte would have been wise to suggest to Sam (if her emotions hadn't been so hot perhaps she would have) that they take on Sarah as a pair - the two of them befriending her. Would have been interesting to see if Sarah would be happy about that.

Good discussion, Gals! Good discussion.

Hugs

Bonnie

Sweet story, Sue. Sounds like your Dan'l was a sensitive, caring man - and you benefitted from your wisdom in the way you reacted. Good for you.

I pretty much agree with what you say about OMK - Sam - Sarah - Charlotte. I do think when Charlotte told him that she hated the restaurant she said it out of anger, pain, and fear. She obviously didn't hate the restaurant. Marriage usually involves a lot of compromise - like a man going to see a movie just to please his wife; a wife taking her husband to a musical performance he especially likes just to please him. When Sarah said to Charlotte "I want to spend time with your husband".....she did not include Charlotte. Charlotte would have been wise to suggest to Sam (if her emotions hadn't been so hot perhaps she would have) that they take on Sarah as a pair - the two of them befriending her. Would have been interesting to see if Sarah would be happy about that.

Good discussion, Gals! Good discussion.

Hugs

Bonnie

I think the problem with this movie is it left a lot to speculation. It was a strange storyline to start with so I can see why we are all trying to figure those three people out. What was each one thinking? We really don't know. I think we all agree that if Sarah had never come into Sam and Charlotte's life again all would have been well......maybe.

~HUGS~ Kathy

But isn't this discussion what makes a movie good? It's like "The Jury".... you just don't know....

Speaking of The Jury......................Johnnie and Rose's sweet, sweet kisses......so much emotion in that scene. Some of Gerry's best acting and (smooches).

Hugs

Bonnie

I loved "The Jury"!!!! Gerry was fantastic in it!!! So many story lines going on but not confusing.

~HUGS~ Kathy

I love the Jury as well. Some of Gerry's finest work.

Well, it's really official now. All the papers signed, direct deposit set up and my first hospital pension payment should be in my bank account by Sept. 7. I'm a lady of leisure! Just think of all the shenanigans Suzie and I can get into now! :highfive:

th_Retirement---Finished.gif Don't work too hard at it Elissa! Just enjoy!!!!

~HUGS~ Kathy

:ty: everyone, for all the retirement good wishes! More good news! My daughter, Erin, just got a part-time job tutoring (15-20 hrs a week) at $12.00 an hour at her alma mater (University of the Incarnate Word.) :claphands: This will definitely help her pay her bills while she's going to graduate school at the University of Texas at San Antonio. She also got a part-time Graduate Assistant job at UTSA and has several freelancing editing jobs. Looks like she'll be able to pay her bills after all. Poor girl is going to be working her arse off. When her apartment lease is up, she's putting her stuff in storage and moving back home. Then she'll be able to drop the freelancing jobs.

GOOD NEWS, Elissa!! I'm so happy for Erin. It is amazing how many jobs she has now when so many college students say they can't get one job. Maybe it is because Erin is more qualified and has shown what a hard worker she is. It shows what you can do if you put your mind to it. Good for her!!! She will go places in this world. You must be very proud!

~HUGS~ Kathy

Thanks, Kathy! Erin has always worked very hard. I don't know how she does it! It helps to be young and single! :D

I decided to go ahead and renew my RN license and my specialty certification even though I'm not working any more. Hard to let those go. Unfortunately, since I was originally planning not to renew one and to put the other one on emeritus status, I now have to get 40 hours of continuing education credits by December. :bonk: I have two home-study courses sitting on my desk right now, calling my name, with more waiting to be downloaded and printed. And people said I would be bored in retirement. :rotflmao:

I'm impressed Elissa! Good for you! I see where Erin gets her hard work gene from. It is always smart to protect yourself from the future because who knows what lies ahead.

~HUGS~ Kathy

It has been far too long. I don't even know where to start, or what I even have let you gals know what's happened. Life got...crazy. My young nephew who was battling Menkes Disease did pass (as we expected he would) back in 2011 at 20 months, and it's been a long road uphill since. I was walloped with a severe case of agoraphobia (Nim's Island irony, anyone?) which I am still battling through very very slowly. I have yet to go out by myself just yet, and still need someone to come with me even to go to the store, but....I can drive into the city now, and earlier this year, I went to Comic-Con, which was a big deal to me as I have only been officially "out of my house" since October last year.

My late fiance's mother and I stopped talking after a horrible disagreement, but, as a mother who has lost a child so tragically, I can understand it is the grief that changes situations and relationships, and the two of us in the same room together....was just too much pain.

In happier news though, I am working on several books I hope to get completed and published at some point, and this month...I am applying into one of my dream colleges and hoping to start in January if I get in. If I don't, I'm quite possibly emigrating. I need a change in scenery and Australia just...isn't really where I want to be anymore. I was thinking of taking up journalism again, but I want to see how my novel writing goes first. And yes, I have shamelessly targeted the possibility of moving to Scotland. Family ties there, and well....the weather is a lot cooler. Lol. I also have a few friends there who I would be able to see and not fork out over $1000 just for a visit.

For now it's just me and my dog Ori. I think the last time I was here, I lost my dear cat, and a few months later got another little kitten I named (accidentally)"Gerry". Little Gerry sadly had an accident during one night while I was asleep, and well....it was a shock to me in the morning. We got another puppy, a female Golden Retriever (Ori is my eldest boy) but again, in sad news, she was poisoned by....well, some obviously not very nice people in the area with rat bait back in April of this year.

So yup, it's just me and Ori now. Though in the near-near distant future, there may be another little addition to out family of the two-legged kind, but that may still be up in the air. I'm getting a little broody in this stage of my life, I think. Turning 28 didn't do me any favors in the whole "you have plenty of time" department.

I have been meaning to come back here indefinitely, I HAVE kept tabs on Gerry's project's and going's on...though not as much as I used to due to issues with dredging up a few painful memories, but that's my fault, and not his. Lol. I have sadly, yet to see HTTYD2 yet, as going to the cinema...is something I have not done since seeing The Ugly Truth before the agoraphobia hit me, and I'm not quite ready to try for that goal again yet.

I think I came here a few weeks ago in an attempt to say "hi" but I don't remember why I didn't....I think I got busy and it just seemed so overwhelming to catch up after missing soooo much. Plus, in all honestly, I haven't been doing too well mentally lately. My depression that I thought was long gone from years ago, reared it's horrible ugly head recently, and though I'm trying to keep goals in sight to stay positive....it can be a bit hard some days. Especially during times of high stress or just feelings of utter defeat. But I have my "okay" days occasionally.

And that's enough rambling from me! Gosh, how I have missed you guys, though! I think I may need to even change my email address for the forums now.

-Amy

Welcome back, Melodie. So sorry that things have been so challenging for you. So many losses, I wish I had some magic words of healing. I send you my prayers and lots of cyber-hugs from afar.

Glad your family is safe, Sue, with the earthquake in Napa. Those shakers can be so scary and can cause such damage. My heart goes out to all affected by it.

Elissa, congratulations on your retirement and all my best to Erin on her new venture in life.

Lots of big hugs going out to all. It's been a busy summer for us here. Not enough down-time but with the families going home for the start of school, it should slow down a bit in town and I'll be whining that it's too slow. :lol: I'm hoping hubby and I can get out for a nice hike tomorrow and enjoy the beautiful weather we've been having.

Suzie - back to the volcano. The volcano was in a National Park - and the Rangers were there. If it wasn't safe, they wouldn't have let us go. There were areas that were blocked off, but we were OK.

Hugs

Bonnie

There must be something wrong with me........these pics of Gerry from the back make me wanta' hug him - really hugga him! :behave:

A big hello to all. It's been awhile but I do try to keep up w/all things Gerry. hope everyone is well. Ciao.

Hi thought I would just drop by and say hello, Gerry has just been walking about on my TV doing his Boss ad, he looks great, my daughter rang me up the other day just to tell me he was on TV again. You only have to hear the voive and you know who it is

Hugs

June

Where has everyone been since April?

The new Hugo Boss photos are GERRYORGOUS. Absolutely gorgeous.

Love him absolutely,

Sandy

Im not going to write a long post bc I have to get ready for class BUT I do have GALS. I've had it for 14 years and it just keeps getting worse and worse everytime I see that dude! I even feel in my soul, my gut, my heart, that I am suppose to marry this man. Call me crazy!?!?! My momma does. She goes along with it but I know in the back of her mind she's thinking "I highly doubt it." I had this vision that I was at a dental school in NYC and I bumped into him on the streets while on my break and BAM! That was it. We looked at each other and life was over. I'm crazy right!?!

I know every word to POTO and I've seen all his movies numerous times. I actually love Dracula 2000, as I'm also a vampire lover. But Timeline and Reign of Fire are great too. All of his movies are (except Bounty hunter. Yuck). My TV set is a freaking shrine of this man. Pictures and calendars and even the monkey music box from POTO. oh dear heavens help me! I'm going to marry this man and he's gonna freak when he sees all this stuff hahahaha!

Oh and I'll probably buy the cologne just because he is endorsing it lol!