Gerard Butler GALS
becozy

5/14/14 - Cannes: @GerardButler starring in Relativity’s heist drama “Den of Thieves.”

Gerard Butler is heading for the bank, starring in Relativity’s heist drama “Den of Thieves.”

SEE MORE: Cannes Film Festival

Christian Gudegast is set to direct from his own script, co-written with Paul Scheuring, in which a legendary bank heist crew decides to rob the Federal Reserve in Los Angeles right under the nose of a rogue sheriff’s deputy.

Relativity Intl. is launching sales at Cannes. Mark Canton, Ryan Kavanaugh, Tucker Tooley and Alan Siegel are producing, with Chris Bender, JC Spink and Butler exec producing. Butler and Siegel are producing under their G-Base banner.

Robbie Brenner is overseeing the film on behalf of the studio.

Butler is represented by CAA and Alan Siegel Entertainment. Gudegast is represented by WME Entertainment, Management 360 and Patrick Knapp at Bloom Hergott.

Source: Variety

More from Empire

After logging years in development hell, writer/director Christian Gudegast must be feeling fairly happy right now. He’s finally locked down a leading man for his heist thriller Den Of Thieves, with Gerard Butler set to star as a master criminal caught in a tricky situation.

Gudegast will be relieved that he’s actually reached this stage, since he originally co-wrote the heist script with Paul Scheuring back in 1998 and watched it tumble through a void of meetings, drafts and decisions. At one point, Peter Berg appeared set to direct it, but moved on to other things. Then, in 2008, Gudegast was handed the chance to call the shots himself.

He has Butler on to play the thief figuring out his most audacious robbery yet, taking down the Federal Reserve in Los Angeles under the nose of a corrupt sheriff’s deputy. The plan becomes even more complicated when he’s caught between two groups of criminals. Relativity is backing this one and has brought the project to Cannes to sell international rights.

There’s no mention of when Gudegast might actually have the cameras rolling, and Butler’s schedule is fairly busy. He’s already dropped out of the Point Break remake because of a clash with Olympus Has Fallen sequel London Has Fallen. Yet we’re betting Gudegast might be happy to hold off if need be – he’s waited this long, after all…

It has to be said, but I can't believe Gerry would make another movie with Relatiivity! IMO, they screwed up handling MGP sooo badly!

I hope they do a decent job if this one gets made.

Suzie

I'm scratching my head over this too, Suzie. Why would Gerry trust this group again. :confused: The idea of the film looks ok though. Hope it gets shown in more than a handful of theaters. ;)

I'm scratching my head over this too, Suzie. Why would Gerry trust this group again. :confused: The idea of the film looks ok though. Hope it gets shown in more than a handful of theaters. ;)

MGP was not a "widely appealing" film... not a great draw for "general audiences". It was bound to be shown in mostly arts theaters and maybe on a few "select screens" at other theater venues. I am not sure if any additional advertisement on MPG would have netted any better results & obviously Relativity must have thought the same thing. It's all about the money... :confused:

:erik: Erik's Ebony eyes :phantom:

Edited by Erik's Ebony Eyes

I realize that money is the driving factor of Hollywood, but if a studio doesn't believe in a film enough to promote it, why make it in the first place? I've recently seen two small indie films that appeal to a limited audience. They were "God's Not Dead" and "Heaven is For Real." These films seem to be doing quite well despite their "limited appeal." How did I find out about them? Probably the same way others who've gone to see them have. I saw the trailers because the films are being promoted.

Edited by Lady Elissa

I realize that money is the driving factor of Hollywood, but if a studio doesn't believe in a film enough to promote it, why make it in the first place? I've recently seen two small indie films that appeal to a limited audience. They were "God's Not Dead" and "Heaven is For Real." These films seem to be doing quite well despite their "limited appeal." How did I find out about them? Probably the same way others who've gone to see them have. I saw the trailers because the films are being promoted.

Lady Elissa,

The two films you have mentioned do not have as much of a limited appeal audience as you would think. That is why both played to general audiences across the country.

The titles of have two films have either the words "God" and "Heaven" in it. Those two words tend to appeal to people with religious ties/feelings and that is a rather large group.

Where as MGP, by title, sounds like a "biker movie" and unless you delve deeper (which most people don't) you would not see the entire focus.

People tend to select movies based on title, rating and word of mouth. That is why the movie, "Noah", was released to general audiences and had a better opening than aftermath... "Noah" is associated with the Bible so people went to see it opening weekend. But, word of mouth as to it not being what many thought it would biblically be, more or less tanked it.

IMHO, I don't think it is a matter of Relativity not believing in the film; they most likely did. But, again, they went into it with eyes wide open as to the target audience and where it would play best for the best financial cost risk.

On a side note... many biker groups, who first saw MGP, became detractors of the film because it was not about bikers. That info. I got from two friends who associate with two different biker groups and received "through the grapevine" to skip it.

:erik: Erik's Ebony Eyes :phantom:

:marek:

Hello!

Always interesting to read your comments!!!!!! I think it's a great movie project!!!!! I support him in any of his movie projects!!!!!! When I want to see a movie, I see it no matter what!!!!!!

Josée

Lady Elissa,

The two films you have mentioned do not have as much of a limited appeal audience as you would think. That is why both played to general audiences across the country.

The titles of have two films have either the words "God" and "Heaven" in it. Those two words tend to appeal to people with religious ties/feelings and that is a rather large group.

Where as MGP, by title, sounds like a "biker movie" and unless you delve deeper (which most people don't) you would not see the entire focus.

People tend to select movies based on title, rating and word of mouth. That is why the movie, "Noah", was released to general audiences and had a better opening than aftermath... "Noah" is associated with the Bible so people went to see it opening weekend. But, word of mouth as to it not being what many thought it would biblically be, more or less tanked it.

IMHO, I don't think it is a matter of Relativity not believing in the film; they most likely did. But, again, they went into it with eyes wide open as to the target audience and where it would play best for the best financial cost risk.

On a side note... many biker groups, who first saw MGP, became detractors of the film because it was not about bikers. That info. I got from two friends who associate with two different biker groups and received "through the grapevine" to skip it.

:erik: Erik's Ebony Eyes :phantom:

You make a very good point about the role of word of mouth making or breaking the success of a film no matter how much a studio has tried to promote a film. Although I still think Relativity could have done more to promote MGP. :)

:marek:

Hello!

Always interesting to read your comments!!!!!! I think it's a great movie project!!!!! I support him in any of his movie projects!!!!!! When I want to see a movie, I see it no matter what!!!!!!

Josée

I'm with you, Josee, if I want to see a movie, I do. I don't let reviews or reports of poor ticket sales stop me. It's only when I'm on the fence about a movie, that I will sometimes decide not to go if reviews are unfavorable or just so-so. (and Gerry's not in it) :D

Overall, the premise behind this new film looks interesting. I wish Gerry the best of success with it and with all his upcoming films. I plan to be there on opening day for each one of them! :D

Relativity did an awful job with this film. The actors, producer and fans promoted it far more than they did. Then at the end of everything, many people never got paid for their services and they were left hanging! Lots of legal action followed. I can't believe they are still in operation!

Suzie